• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

{OLD} Wc3:WoW Discussion

What should the Wc3:WoW Team focus on most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
I personally would never charge for Wc3:WoW or SC2:WoW unless Blizzard Entertainment said I had to. Why would they? Because supposedly the usage of their game's concept very thoroughly, including sounds, music, icons, and other art would be enough to cause a bit of a stir. I think Blizzard Entertainment would care if we started a SC2:WoW project that used primarily WoW exports because the amount of StarCraft II players compared to WarCraft III players is expected to be at least twice as large, since it will be a mixed community of WoW players, WC3 players, and SC2 players... and the modders. Plus lets not forget that the rest of the world might just gain interest in StarCraft 2 as well.

ANYWAY, price tag on our mod is extremely unlikely but a theory that could be possible. While Blizzard Entertainment is a 'enough' of super rich company as it is, they've been known to protect their IPs and squash mods that violate any of their policies, such as that old RPG that charged you to play it. Blizzard took action and pretty much crushed that RPG's development.

Level 8
Hawkwing: Explode*

Craka: Only noobs double post =)

Mattstheman: Matt is not the man and here is why, you own a mac.

Other than that, I'm glad everything was saved before being raped, I wish you would've listened and did what I told you to do! Everything could've been saved. Oh well least you have no games now, you're now forced to work on the project.

Level 8
What if I had said that I forbid you to reinstall?

Also why get a mac when you can do everything and more on a PC? Yes it is cheaper, and you can get virus's (If you don't watch out what you're downloading) either way you're supporting Bill Gates, he basically owns Mac. Though I support PC's because well they can hold 10x the memory of a Mac, mine is a 1 TB memory, that is 1000 gigs for you ladies with Macs =).

Nough' said.

Level 5
Well I have a mac and a pc and I prefer my mac for most things because for one, it looks really nice and has a great UI. Also, it runs soother atleast from what I have experienced. Another thing on the pc is the constant pop-ups and the bubbles at the bottom of the screen. Also pcs have so much control over what you do and it always asks if your sure you want to do something. They are however great for programming and technical stuff so I will give them that. But anyways off topic...

Level 8
That statement about macs running smoother, my statement is get a better comp.

Constant popups can be turned off but most likely shouldn't ignore, they are updates and or things you've downloaded.

Game, point, match.

PC 1 Mac 0

Level 8
I didn't notice the visitor message no pop up no love from me, and yes I would like to, dibs on the Bard class!

Level 9
Not really.

Mind explaining?

Also, after the release of the Galaxy Editor for the SC2 beta, I have just found out what a mess it is to create something in the dimensions of this project. Even if I create every trigger to be as easy to use and understand as possible, I still lose track of everything after creating the basic systems.. Must be a headache to keep the control of a project like this, thumps up for keeping it going for this long Craka_j and co. :D You are amazing!

Level 25
I posted a news report a few days ago and for some reason it doesn't exist anymore. Basically Yixx is going to finish the character creation system, and then he's quitting, so I'm looking for a replacement vJASS coder who is interested in dedicating themselves to the development of this mod so an open BETA can be released some time this year.

As for terrain, I am busy with school and focusing on my new RPG (to keep me interested in WarCraft III modding) at the moment until it meets BETA standards and until a replacement coder is found.

Level 2
"I know it's against the rules of nearly every forum, many users and modders hate it, it'll make the campaign's file size go through the roof, and it's a cheap way to go, but due to the lack of artists on the team, I'm beginning to get a vibe that using WoW exported files such as character models, weapon attachments, doodads, props, tiles, music, sounds, and icons are all becoming more of a reasonable asset to use when making this project. Plus, it seems fine for this project in particular because we're recreating World of Warcraft. Some areas need to be remade though, such as cities, since those are one big model files. Here are the pros and cons of using WoW Exports for WC3:WoW:

PROS:

* Looks more like World of Warcraft.
* Looks better; better quality models, textures, and animations.
* Overall better gameplay experience.
* Quicker and easier terraining process for most areas.

CONS:

* It's against forum rules.
* Modders are against it.
* Users are generally against it.
* Blizzard Entertainment might not like it, but I don't think they care anymore about WarCraft mods.
* MIGHT cause the game to lag more, not sure. (Our way of countering laginess is by allowing the player to adjust the Field of View - how far you can see)
* File size of Wc3:WoW will be in the 100mb file range. It will not be even one gigabyte big though; World of Warcraft is over 14 gigabytes big.
"

I've always wanted to give my 2 cents on this, and it's better late then never I guess

I've been following this project for a little more then a year now I'd say..why, I ask myself, would I follow such a slow moving unmotivated project?(no offense, but lack of motivation means a lot) because it's the most ambitious mod(it's a lot more then just another campaign for damn sure)ever made! there's nothing else that can compare. sure there's been ambitious ideas, and some of those ideas have been attempted, but once they see the magnitude of difficulty the said project is, and how little motivation they have for it, they give up. this is the trap many people phrase as "another mod that could have been awesome". This project has and is having a good run, compared to must kind of projects like this, but tell me, how long do you think you can keep yourself motivated to do all of the WoW world? taking on just horde areas sounds like too much, and just a few races is too much, your debating on releasing just horde because you just can't get 2 different races on both sides done for multiple reasons(not just the race needs to be done, eh?). So, now that I've given you the picture, back to the point..well this is going to sound short but for one, I don't think all those people that said no imports realize how incredibly difficult making hundreds of models and terrains and such is, not saying all don't but most of them probably do not. hell, I doubt I even know the difficulty of it. All I'm saying is this is an incredibly ambitious project, and even if it means you would have to do your mod forum business elsewhere, the shortcut would probably give a lot more motivation then you have right now(being able to say that your finished with something entirely is a grand thing) and as a bonus, of course this project would be finished a bit faster, and you would not need any more modelers, and could look for different talents(as I know, modelers seems to be the number 1 issue)

Think that's it, and I'm nearly positive your not this kind of person, but don't bash me, not that I care about getting caps lock "NO"'s but doing so would probably just lessen your motivation you even more, due to the fact that I reminded you of the amount of work models are. so yeah for your own sake. that goes for all your 6 year old fans too, this community is loaded with immature users. One more thing, I'm a huge fan of your project and check this place every day purely for this project, I used to be registered but I got tired of the little trolls and purposely cruelly blunt criticism people gave, and left, back again XD. Take my words with a grain of sand, for I didn't just type this for giving my 2 cents, it's also good practice for certain interests ;) thanks for your time, and good luck!

edit:woah that's a messy looking paragraph, sorry for the blocky text XD

Let me fix that for you.

PROS:
* Is the lazy way of doing things.

CONS:
* Looks absolutely terrible alongside Wc3 models.
* Does not affect gameplay experience significantly.
* Blizzard Entertainment might not like it, but I don't think they care anymore about WarCraft mods.
* MIGHT cause the game to lag more, not sure. (Our way of countering laginess is by allowing the player to adjust the Field of View - how far you can see)
* File size of Wc3:WoW will be in the 100mb file range. It will not be even one gigabyte big though; World of Warcraft is over 14 gigabytes big.

Level 8
PROS:

* Looks better; better quality models, textures, and animations.
* Overall better gameplay experience.
* Quicker and easier terraining process for most areas.

CONS:

I've been following this project for a little more then a year now I'd say..why, I ask myself, would I follow such a slow moving unmotivated project?(no offense, but lack of motivation means a lot) because it's the most ambitious mod(it's a lot more then just another campaign for damn sure)ever made! there's nothing else that can compare. sure there's been ambitious ideas, and some of those ideas have been attempted, but once they see the magnitude of difficulty the said project is, and how little motivation they have for it, they give up. this is the trap many people phrase as "another mod that could have been awesome". This project has and is having a good run, compared to must kind of projects like this, but tell me, how long do you think you can keep yourself motivated to do all of the WoW world? taking on just horde areas sounds like too much, and just a few races is too much, your debating on releasing just horde because you just can't get 2 different races on both sides done for multiple reasons(not just the race needs to be done, eh?). So, now that I've given you the picture, back to the point..well this is going to sound short but for one, I don't think all those people that said no imports realize how incredibly difficult making hundreds of models and terrains and such is, not saying all don't but most of them probably do not. hell, I doubt I even know the difficulty of it. All I'm saying is this is an incredibly ambitious project, and even if it means you would have to do your mod forum business elsewhere, the shortcut would probably give a lot more motivation then you have right now(being able to say that your finished with something entirely is a grand thing) and as a bonus, of course this project would be finished a bit faster, and you would not need any more modelers, and could look for different talents(as I know, modelers seems to be the number 1 issue)

You don't understand that WoW uses a different type of server which is a LOT faster then Wc3 WoW would be with the models.

"Overall better experience" Wrong, the delay and very long loading screens will cause any fan to "give up" after some time, and eventually quit.

Not sure how you would think it would be a "Quicker" terraining process, seeing how even if he did rip models he would STILL have to terrain it himself, just using different doodads.

I know you've been following this for "1 year" now, I've been following it since 07 reading a lot about it and becoming an active member in this forum. So I'm almost 99% sure that what I have stated will be what this community will agree with. Craka has no plans to abandoning this mod just yet he has even stated he will not give up until it is physically impossible to continue, it is the other members that have been just picking up and leaving (Due to various reasons of their own).

Also let me re-fix that for you.

Pros: We lose about 1, maybe 1 and a half months instead of creating.

Cons: We lose our forum here from Hive.
We increase the loading screen from 2-3 minutes to 10 minutes.
We lose complete pride in the game from ripping.
Against the rules. (Of course)

As to everyone that has tried the whole use exports thing it will still be a "No"

Level 2
You don't understand that WoW uses a different type of server which is a LOT faster then Wc3 WoW would be with the models.

"Overall better experience" Wrong, the delay and very long loading screens will cause any fan to "give up" after some time, and eventually quit.

Not sure how you would think it would be a "Quicker" terraining process, seeing how even if he did rip models he would STILL have to terrain it himself, just using different doodads.

I know you've been following this for "1 year" now, I've been following it since 07 reading a lot about it and becoming an active member in this forum. So I'm almost 99% sure that what I have stated will be what this community will agree with. Craka has no plans to abandoning this mod just yet he has even stated he will not give up until it is physically impossible to continue, it is the other members that have been just picking up and leaving (Due to various reasons of their own).

Also let me re-fix that for you.

Pros: We lose about 1, maybe 1 and a half months instead of creating.

Cons: We lose our forum here from Hive.
We increase the loading screen from 2-3 minutes to 10 minutes.
We lose complete pride in the game from ripping.
Against the rules. (Of course)

As to everyone that has tried the whole use exports thing it will still be a "No"

lol, the pro/cons wasn't typed by me buddy, I couldn't directly quote cracka j so I just put " "

and like I said, I probably don't understand it either, next time, look a little more closely?

edit:also, 1 1/2 month of progress??? that's a lot quicker then I imagined to make every model/texture in WoW :O

Level 8
1 1/2 months yes, because a good portion of them have already been created by multiple members now. All they need are a lot of attachments (Which most could be dug up from sites like this) Minor things such as Mailboxes, lights, etc... (A pretty nice size chunk can be regular Wc3 models seeing how a lot of those models were used)

The thing that is holding them back atm was Yixx's computer because of how slow it was going etc...

While in the mean time you should check out Craka's new project seeing how this won't make much progress (Except for terrain) until another Vjass expert has been found.

Level 25
I do plan on having someone make a short YouTube demonstration video for the Character Creation screen once it is ready.

I'm thinking of working on Wc3:WoW this weekend to keep the project alive, since it hasn't received much attention lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 25
I really need a good vJASS coder to replace Yixx soon to ensure that development on the mod in the triggering field progresses. Unfortunately at this point GUI is unacceptable because it has proven to be an issue when mixing GUI with vJASS in a large campaign such as Wc3:WoW.

Terrain will still make progress even after Wc3:WoW loses it's great contributor, Yixx, but of course it will remain at a very boring playable phase. PurgeandFire will help add two systems to Wc3:WoW after the Character Creation system is done. At that time, Closed Betas can finally start and you guys can tell me where pathing is too tight, too open, or doesn't exist at all (walking through objects) so I can at least fix terrain related issues rather than not fix anything while there is an absence of a dedicated coder.

Once again,
Need a new dedicated vJASS coder.

Level 25
So things are looking good for Wc3:WoW. Watermelon_1234 has agreed to join the team as Yixx's replacement when the time comes. Once the Character Creation system is completed, development progress on Wc3:WoW will jump up again to a fluent flow.

Level 25
I only said it was almost done when Yixx informed me that that was the case. I did not realize it would still take this much time. It's mainly due to Yixx's lack of time to work now and his PC's hardware issues troubling him and preventing him from finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.