• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

{OLD} Wc3:WoW Discussion

What should the Wc3:WoW Team focus on most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Thanks man. Actually, Hawkwing gave me a working Map Viewer yesterday and it works perfectly so far. The only downside to using the viewer is that I cannot see units/characters or mobs, so I'll have to make the rest of the terrain I do uninhabited until I can get a video of the areas or renew my subscription so I can see where everything wanders around and spawns.

I'll likely get back to terraining soon. Currently working on some art for money though. Stay tuned!

Level 25
Made a significant news post today on Mod DB. Might take a couple hours until it is authorized to be viewed by public though.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-iii-world-of-warcraft/news/major-development-breakthrough

[EDIT]
Added quote from news post on Mod DB.

Wc3:WoW News Post said:
Yesterday afternoon throughout today, there has been a lot of unexpected - though very convenient - development progress updates with Wc3:WoW. I explain further on what's new today.

In the past, I had informed everyone that WarSoc (which would allow us to play Wc3:WoW online with up to 200 players or more) had been canceled because the lead programmer of that program had become to busy and decided to discontinue its development. Because there were no other programs like it out there, I asked the programmer (MindWorX) to allow me and my team to finish it. He gave permission and I had given his incomplete WarSoc to a C++ programmer of mine who goes under the name Sin. He wanted no payment since it was for a mod and he's a good friend of mine as well. But because it has been almost a year or so (I lost count of the days :p) I figured he wasn't doing anything with it.

Unexpectedly, Sin had emailed me the WarSoc program, completed and fully functioning (but with a couple minor bugs), last night and I had only tried it out this morning with some friends, but it works and no recoding or anything of the sort is required, which is an insanely huge plus! On top of that, it is compatible with patch version 1.24d and 1.24e. With this program providing so many benefits, me and Sin had come to a brief agreement that the program will be released tomorrow on The Hive Workshop's "Tools" section, but with a couple tweaks and fixes. Rest assured, Wc3:WoW shall now be multiplayer and the maximum players allowed will be 400 - two times more than last time.

What else is good? Yixx's computer is fixed and the character creation/customization system and mailing system is nearly completed. Just awaiting the finalization of some custom models like hair styles so we can make sure the system works properly with all races and genders.

Sorry for no screenshots yet. My upload speed is really slow today. I'll upload something soon!

[EDIT]
Almost forgot that we'll be launching our first closed beta tonight. Be prepared!

Last edited:
Level 8
Everytime I try to go on Wc3 WOW's Moddb, it loads the page and in a split second, the page goes all white and it shows that its still loading but it never loads. Mind posting the news here on The Hive?

Level 25
Everytime I try to go on Wc3 WOW's Moddb, it loads the page and in a split second, the page goes all white and it shows that its still loading but it never loads. Mind posting the news here on The Hive?

That's an odd issue. What browser do you use?

I'll post the news on Hive in a minute, just for you. :wink:

[EDIT]
Added it:

Wc3:WoW Mod DB News Post said:
We're back again today with more valid and factual news. Two days ago I made a news post that made a lot of people happy. It was an April Fool's joke! I fool tons of people every year, though I guess everyone has gotten used to it by now and this year I only fooled like 10 people or a bit over that. Oh well! Was still fun!

But to jump to Wc3:WoW, I now have a working version of the WoW Map Viewer tool which will work wonders for me when I need to terrain places accurately. The only downside is that I cannot see units (mobs/creeps, guards, player characters running around, etc.) so working with scale might be a slight issue, but I promise I'll get it right. This afternoon or this evening, I will work a bit on either Durotar or Mulgore! Hopefully I'll have enough done by the end of Sunday to show some more eye-candy.

Yixx plans on buying a new computer 'within this week' that will be fast enough to play StarCraft II with ease. That means that Yixx will no longer be having to deal with a slow computer any more and says it will allow him to code triggers much faster. A huge plus and I'm very excited to finally get more trigger progress done. With this good news, I haven't really done much searching for a new vJASS expert.

Doron, a big fan of Wc3:WoW and also a Closed BETA Tester, has been uploading tons of sound effects and songs from World of Warcraft (including expansions) and it will greatly help keep me motivated and inspired to continue working and eager to get the mod into its ALPHA stages at least. The mod is still not playable because we're working on the mod in a more linear step-by-step plan with what we work on. For example, we're working on what the player first sees in the mod, then what comes after that, and after that, etc. At the moment, Character Creation and Customization are two big things we're working on at the moment and are the very first things players will experience in Wc3:WoW.

Our artists haven't been working too much on stuff for Wc3:WoW, but only because I haven't really asked them to do anything yet. I might give them all an assignment today though.

Last edited:
Level 8
Windows Vista. I haven't tested this on other Moddb profiles so it might be just me. Good luck with the project :)

Level 25
The Wc3:WoW BETA may be extremely old, out-dated, and over-played, but it is the closest thing to what Wc3:WoW will be like - with the exception that there may be plenty of other good changes and improvements made, aside from terrain. (spells, quests, cool WoW-like systems, etc.)

I would really like to get a BETA out by the end of this year. Closed BETAs are guaranteed as soon as the character creation is done, but I'm still waiting to hear from Yixx about his new computer coming in. Should be coming this week, so chances are that progress will jump when he's back on track. :wink:

I didn't do much work on Wc3:WoW this weekend because I was busy doing art and... being addicted to games like Company of Heroes and Call of Duty: World at War lol. Hey! Modders gotta play games too!

Will provide another update or news post or whatever soon-ish...

Level 8
Pfft, no play for you!! In all seriousness you should join me back in MO soon, they are in the middle of fixing most of the desyncs/lag.

I've also been consumed by DoTA, I forgot how much fun it was lol, should join me some time.

Glad to see that things are still rolling, Yixx is finally getting a computer after a couple of months of his breaking so that ought to start getting things moving along pretty fast. Seems everything is working out, great job WoW Wc3 team.

Psst, get this game and we'll play it Craka. It comes out soon.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-red-dead/64249

Level 6
The Wc3:WoW BETA may be extremely old, out-dated, and over-played, but it is the closest thing to what Wc3:WoW will be like - with the exception that there may be plenty of other good changes and improvements made, aside from terrain. (spells, quests, cool WoW-like systems, etc.)

I would really like to get a BETA out by the end of this year. Closed BETAs are guaranteed as soon as the character creation is done, but I'm still waiting to hear from Yixx about his new computer coming in. Should be coming this week, so chances are that progress will jump when he's back on track. :wink:

I didn't do much work on Wc3:WoW this weekend because I was busy doing art and... being addicted to games like Company of Heroes and Call of Duty: World at War lol. Hey! Modders gotta play games too!

Will provide another update or news post or whatever soon-ish...

No MW2? :p

Level 25
I'll totally join you in Mortal Online again, but I'm waiting for that patch! Hate it when I work hard for items and then all of your characters and items go poof one day, despite the awesome fixes and additional fun content added. Red Dead Redemption looks utterly amazing and is definitely on my To Buy List. Good thing I get paid soon!

DotA can burn in hell. Like all others who dislike it, I hate it because of its complexity and my terrible experiences as a noob in that map. The majority of the people who play it are assholes too. *looks at Yabooer*

Oh and for the record Oohforf, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is a COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY for the PC. Their anti-hack program "PunkBuster" virtually doesn't exist, since just about every hacker (which is at least 65% of the player base) gets passed it like a breeze... I am so glad I got the game for free on Christmas, lol.

Level 8
The only FPS on the comp I ever enjoyed was CS 1.6 and it had a alot of hackers as well lol. No PC game is legit just saying.

DoTA is fun, it isn't as hard as everyone thinks, it is just a normal AoS. Pick a hero pref one that counters the other teams heroes, get the last hit for gold, deny creeps so they don't get XP, gank etc....

If you get red dead redemption, hit me up. I'll most likely get it for the Xbox360 since it looks so god damn amazing and fun.

Also, if you ever did get Borderlands, here is a game I'm looking forward too for the Xbox360 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6RqVpp-ZJI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2miDEafpwQ

Level 25
Not many hack on Call of Duty: World at War. But in Modern Warfare 2? Forget about it... too damn many of them, it's not even legit enough to play online anymore except with friends.

Getting Red Dead Redemption for PC. Possibly PS3 too. (my brother)

ANYWAY, back on topic.

I spoke with MindWorX today on MSN and it looks like WarSoc is back to being alive and well. No big breakthroughs with it or anything that I'm aware of with WarSoc since MindWorX and his team started working on it not too long ago, but just the news that it's alive alone is enough to motivate me. I'm very excited for the program and Blizzard doesn't find some B.S. way to outlaw it or protect WarCraft III from using it.

Level 6
Not many hack on Call of Duty: World at War. But in Modern Warfare 2? Forget about it... too damn many of them, it's not even legit enough to play online anymore except with friends.

Getting Red Dead Redemption for PC. Possibly PS3 too. (my brother)

ANYWAY, back on topic.

I spoke with MindWorX today on MSN and it looks like WarSoc is back to being alive and well. No big breakthroughs with it or anything that I'm aware of with WarSoc since MindWorX and his team started working on it not too long ago, but just the news that it's alive alone is enough to motivate me. I'm very excited for the program and Blizzard doesn't find some B.S. way to outlaw it or protect WarCraft III from using it.

Are you sure about the WarSoc? You did an April Fools joke about it, remember? :p

Level 25
Last edited:
Level 3
A question about the Heroes, will we be able to change their names, or do we have to stick with ones the heroes already have? If so, how are you going to implement this?

Level 25
Since we're using floating text above players, player bots, and NPCs and the majority of the interface will be custom (custom windows such as quest log, who list, merchant window, bag windows, etc.) Yixx is going to try to allow players to enter in a name for their character and it will only affect our systems technically. So the unit's name you use won't be named "Craka_J" or whatever you named him/her, but above your character will be the name you've chosen, unless you use our custom options menu and disable your floating name. It hasn't been completed yet, but it seems doable and the best/fastest way of allowing players to create a name for their own characters.

Once Player-Bots start being pre-made, we'll revisit the name creation system and restrict players from naming their characters after NPCs and numbers.

Level 8
Sounds amazing, I'm assuming Yixx got his new computer, because the progress seems like it is flying now. I'm seeing constant updates etc...

Great job man.

Level 25
Yeah, Yixx is back in action and is working hard on the Character Creation system. No clue how long it will take, but I believe he has all the interface images he'll need for it and the only thing we're lacking for it really is naked player character models and a variety of hair styles, beards, horns, etc. models to attach to the character to make it seem like the player can customize their character's looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.