• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project Discussion

Level 25
Just to let you all know, there is a thread titled "What is Apocalypse?" which contains a lot of valuable and interesting information such as screenshots, brief description, credits, list of some features which will be included in the game, and I think there is also a work-in-progress background story to the Apocalypse as well... there's only one way to find out.

Check it out here! Now!

~Craka_J; Leader of the Apocalypse Development Team.

Level 19
I have no idea how you are able to do a Gravity gun or to make bullets stop when they collide with wall etc. and I don't need to know but those will be the first things I want to experience.

Level 25
Yesterday, Punisher_X had confirmed that he has either put his version of Apocalypse on hold or had stopped working on it all together. This is a bit of an advantage for us since now we have less competition, we don't have to change our project's name, and best of all, Punisher_X has agreed to join our Apocalypse Developement Team for at least a temporary amount of time. What skills of his will he be using to contribute work for Apocalypse? Well, he has agreed to work under my command and keep me as leader and terrainer of the project, so there's no arguement on that. But also, he will doing a bit of everything. He might help polish the terrain a bit more and work with triggers as well, but as of now, he is mainly probably going to be working with unit statistics, item properties, and other GUI related things.

I've decided to work on the storyline of Apocalypse a bit more, since not only is it a bit... amaturely made, but also because of a sudden burst of inspiration I've gotten from other maps. I'm planning the storyline a bit more before I actually update and announce the changes with the story, but I promise for sure that once the story is done and when I think it is ready to be recognized, I will announce it.

~Craka_J; Leader of the Apocalypse Development Team.

Level 4
On the Real side. I just added the tank and bomber models to your list becuasse you guys didn't have them before and also I contrbuted my UI which is another 500kb -1000 kb. So with the map already being 5000kb there is no real need for any more models. I will however toss some of your useless model/ replace models and just do an overall tweak to the imports unless Craka plans on useing my map which would be good becuse i've managed to keep the imports low.

Level 25
Not really sure if the tank and bomber plane would be needed in our version. It'd kind of make players over-powered, in reality at least. The custom user-interface is a good addition though.

I think we should start squishing all of our models now and try to reduce the filesize as much as possible. Reduce it enough so it can at least be playable on BNet and on LAN.

~Craka_J

Level 4
Lol that wont be any time soon. Keep Dreaming. Only about 10% of the systems are up. Theres nothing to play yet just shoot zombies. We need more jassers if anything is to move. That should be priority one. But has the decision on which map been decided?

Level 25
I want to stick with mine. Why? Because of the following:
  • It is a lot more complete than yours and is almost done.
  • I and Ragingspeedhorn spent a lot of time on it. Would hate to put it to waste.
  • Gameplay-wise, it is better. (Life-sized doodads may aggrovate players sometimes)
  • I may be wrong, but I think ours has more triggers.

Things like this. I know it may make you frustrated that I did not choose yours, but I really don't want to throw away what I've been working on for months. Hope you can understand that too.

~Craka_J

Level 4
I want to stick with mine. Why? Because of the following:
  • It is a lot more complete than yours and is almost done.
  • I and Ragingspeedhorn spent a lot of time on it. Would hate to put it to waste.
  • Gameplay-wise, it is better. (Life-sized doodads may aggrovate players sometimes)
  • I may be wrong, but I think ours has more triggers.

Things like this. I know it may make you frustrated that I did not choose yours, but I really don't want to throw away what I've been working on for months. Hope you can understand that too.

~Craka_J

1) My terrain is built more towards gameplay. The sizing has nothing to do with it. If you remember your terrain came from my the old terrain i did but it sucked so we started over. So you built off the crappy terrain i had started (Sorry to Say).

2) Myself and Desmasic put many hours into our my terrain

3) The quality is alot better

4) My terrain is untriggered but that would take less than 20 minutes to change. Lol

Yes u might have more done but thats because the quality of the terrain you did is not the same as the quality of mine. Me and Desmasic spent way more time doing our terrain than you. I had to actully go back and redo most of it because of some issues with the sizing.

Level 25
I've been doing some planning for this project and thinking about the plans we've made already. A lot of what we've planned is extremely complex and very dependent on a good physics system, and without one, this project will move very slowly. So, I thought it was time to come up with some newer plans for triggerers to start working on; stuff much easier than we had planned already. None of the JASSers want to be bothered with working on Apocalypse because there's so much to get done and so little completed in the trigger field already. It is very demoralizing and not very interesting to many. But at least the terrain is keeping our current fan-base eager enough to wait. :wink:

I won't exploit my plans right now, but I will probably tomorrow or hopefully some time this weekend.

Some one told me that Apocalypse being like a pimped-out Resident Evil survival map is just boring, but with a twist. I understand exactly what they meant and we'll just have to be more creative with how things are killed, the way they spawn, and the rewards for doing it all right. How will we do this? I haven't put a lot of thought into it, so I can't answer that right now. I'll keep you all up to date though on what the plans are once they've been decided and agreed upon with the development team of Apocalypse.

~Craka_J

Level 2
It might be, at this rate. I haven't heard again from any of those plans Craka_J expressed, though there's more than just what he posted here (conversations and e-mails, too). Still waiting for any kind of "instructions" over here.

I did take the initiative of exploring other possibilities regarding the physics engine (not-so-subtle message directed at Grim here...), but since I don't really get much information and feel like I'm working alone, it's not really going too fast.

Anyway, this map kind of needs a little boost somehow. Don't look at me, I'm just a scripter, not a PR guy, and even less of a team manager. Meh.

Level 2
Well, I *did* send two emails and post a thread about it in our *other* forum, with suggestions to solve the "excruciating wait" problem, but I got the no-reply treatment :(

Anyhow, I'd be glad to get started on that stuff... but not right now. I've got my schedule filled to zero-point space until the end of the month. Well, maybe not the whole month, but for a week or two at least. Did you happen to catch a "replacement" scripter while I was "AWOL"? ;P

Level 12
Sorry but... Your just too dang slow. 3 weeks and I still haven't gotten a map from 3 people I've contacted. If you want I can make some systems, but I have my own very large project called EW. I already posted on it in the poll thread.

If you can get the map to me I'll work on some things. I love doing complicated spells and guns. (I could make a grav gun) I've already done something similar with the Gods in my EW map. They can float around, pickup units, and then if you move quickly and drop a unit, it will be flung in that direction, dealing AoE damage when it hits the ground. Just wanted to let you know. Also, I'll probably post ideas on this map. I've got a couple good ideas up my sleeve. Besides.. you said you have 2 people working on triggers...

Level 25
Very good question. Well I'm still trying to decide if the players are transformable at all. The marines you are being are immune to this new infectious disease going around and so the chances of you actually becoming one of them is very unlikely. However, I might make it so after a player dies, he spawns as a zombie with a very brief amount of abilities (About one or two) to attempt to kill the other players. The zombie player will spawn with the other zombies though, to ensure that the player doesn't ruin the game for those whom he was standing around.

Once the player turns into a zombie, there's a very high chance we'll make the zombie player be able to control his zombie. It should make playing the game more interesting and a small thing like that might actually make it more fun too.

But this is just an idea of mine which might or might not get added. I'm still deciding. Let me know if you like the idea or not.

~Craka_J

Level 19
Even if the marines are immune to the gas. The saliva and blood of the zombies/mutants are a lot more concentrated. Are you sure their immune system are able to handle such big of an infection if they were bit?
If a small infection is able to kill some white blood cells then a huge infection would be devastating.

If there was such a thing called an "anti-virus". Could it be possible if a player was infected the team mates could be able to reverse the effect using an anti-virus? Like 50/50% of working? Ofc the player would never become fully normal again.

Craka_J, watch some Resident Evil movies and Dawn/Shawn of the Dead lol... It is really some fun stuff.

Last edited:
Level 25
Even if the marines are immune to the gas. The saliva and blood of the zombies/mutants are a lot more concentrated. Are you sure their immune system are able to handle such big of an infection if they were bit?
If a small infection is able to kill some white blood cells then a huge infection would be devastating.

If there was such a thing called an "anti-virus". Could it be possible if a player was infected the team mates could be able to reverse the effect using an anti-virus? Like 50/50% of working? Ofc the player would never become fully normal again.

Craka_J, watch some Resident Evil movies and Dawn/Shawn of the Dead lol... It is really some fun stuff.

Good ideas and good point too. Perhaps I will add it.

And I've seen those movies already, along 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks later.

~Craka_J

Level 19
That seems a little too extreme for this. Would also make escaping hordes of 'monsters' too easy.

~Craka_J

If you you could use the portal to teleport hordes of zombies to a different location.

"Pheww... Now they're gone... Omfg another group!!! AAAAAA!!! Damn how long
does this weapon take to reload!!!?!!!?"
//Player 1

"Too late sucker :cool:"
//Player 2

"Omfg... This sux..."
//Player 1

"HAHA!! N@B! :smile:"
//Player 7

"NOOBNOBoBnOB!! :xxd:"
//Player 8

"Lawl! nooby :ugly:!"
//Player 5

Level 25
Keeping You Up To Date

To keep you up to date with what's going on right now, I am currently doing very little for the project internally. This is because my computer privilages were taken away. However, I will make up this loss of progress by recruiting new members, keeping in-touch with the team and fans, and will also try to get some things worked on at the site and forum.

I've assigned Vestras, our new triggerer, to begin working on the wave system. It won't be started off with lots of wave 'levels'. We're just getting started with how it will function. First three waves will be very weak creatures, something enough to keep players busy while still getting familiar with the controls and gameplay. After the third level, things will start getting harder (more monsters per spawning wave, harder monsters, etc.) and will continue to get harder throughout the levels you complete.

Ragingspeedhorn is going to take over with terraining parts of the map since I won't be able to. He'll mainly be filling in big blank spots and polishing already 'completed' areas of the terrain. Will there be screenshots to be available soon? That I cannot promise, since Ragingspeedhorn's progression and speed at working is undefined.

DaFranker is still working on the physics and will begin working with weapons most likely. He won't be working so much on bullet collisions though until the terrain is completed and the pathing is confirmed to be nearly perfect.

HvO-Busterkomo has completed the power-up system and will begin working on the Lighting/Sight Radius system. What is this? Check out the Info page on our website.

PrinceKeldarh said he is going to work on the background story of Apocalypse more and involve other important countries in it, as requested by a few readers and fans. When will the story be publicized? That may actually take a while since there is most likely a lot of spell checking and grammar fixing I will have to do after he has finished. There may be more info he or I'd like to add as well.

Overall, progress is moving pretty well. I expect it to increase, but I won't change its status until I know we've been making great progress according to our members on the job. Stay tuned for more updates and keep checking our forum frequently!

~Craka_J

Level 25
Yesterday, Vestras had completed the Wave System for Apocalypse. It currently spawns waves of monsters at you constantly, but only one at a time. After a wave is completely wiped-out, then next spawns instantly. This is mainly for testing purposes and will be adjusted later on. The wave system only spawns 'weak' enemies. But as the mod is developed more and there's more gameplay content available in the mod, it'll spawn heavier creatures and more difficult monsters for you to kill.

We plan, in the full release, that after the first three or four waves of monsters, the waves' difficulty will increase more and more as each wave is wiped. The pace of the difficulty will depend on what difficulty the host chooses at the beginning of the match, but normally it will be somewhat slow. But towards the end of the game, it'll pick up pretty fast and your skills will really need to be applied in order to succeed.

~Craka_J

Level 9
Yesterday, Vestras had completed the Wave System for Apocalypse. It currently spawns waves of monsters at you constantly, but only one at a time. After a wave is completely wiped-out, then next spawns instantly. This is mainly for testing purposes and will be adjusted later on. The wave system only spawns 'weak' enemies. But as the mod is developed more and there's more gameplay content available in the mod, it'll spawn heavier creatures and more difficult monsters for you to kill.

We plan, in the full release, that after the first three or four waves of monsters, the waves' difficulty will increase more and more as each wave is wiped. The pace of the difficulty will depend on what difficulty the host chooses at the beginning of the match, but normally it will be somewhat slow. But towards the end of the game, it'll pick up pretty fast and your skills will really need to be applied in order to succeed.

~Craka_J

Since I have first read that at the third level, it should be harder now, I have edited the code a little bit.
It is now more edit-able, since you said that they should be leaded to some point when quests come, well, here are the code:

JASS:
//==================================================================
// Spawn system by Vestras
// I tried to make it as balanced as I could, 
// and here are the results.
// NOTE: I have edited the code a little bit
// to make it more balanced. - Vestras.
//
//
// Requirements:
// Not really anyone, just two things: You have to
// Store every zombie into the variable called
// "S_I", and change the integer called "sti" from 4 (basic) to 5
// of course more, if you have added more zombies.
// Also, ALL monsters that should be spawned needs to have a food
// requirement, nevermind how big it is. Else it wont work.
//
//
// How this works:
// minhi is the minimum high in the i random integer.
// minli is the minimum low in the i random integer.
// i adds minhi to minli, and times them by 2. After that, 
// it divides the number by 3, which makes it more balanced.
//
//
// How to edit:
// If you think the system is imbalanced and you want to edit
// the system, just edit the minhi and minli integers to the
// desired number. This will also edit the i integer, and by
// that, also the number of units spawned per spawn region.
//==================================================================
function SpawnCond takes nothing returns boolean
    if ( not ( udg_waveint >= 3 ) ) then
    set udg_minhi = ( udg_minhi + 1 )
    set udg_minli = ( udg_minli + 1 )
    call DisplayTextToForce(GetPlayersAll(), ( "Level" + ( " " + I2S(udg_waveint) ) ) ) // Just for testing, just delete or edit if you want to.
    return false
    endif
    set udg_minhi = ( udg_minhi + 3 )
    set udg_minli = ( udg_minli + 3 )
    call DisplayTextToForce(GetPlayersAll(), ( "Level" + ( " " + I2S(udg_waveint) ) ) ) // Just for testing, just delete or edit if you want to.
    return true
    endfunction

function Main_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer sloop = 1
    set udg_stp[1] = GetRandomLocInRect(gg_rct_MonstersSpawn1)
    set udg_stp[2] = GetRandomLocInRect(gg_rct_MonstersSpawn2)
    set udg_stp[3] = GetRandomLocInRect(gg_rct_MonstersSpawn3)
    set udg_stp[4] = GetRandomLocInRect(gg_rct_MonstersSpawn4)
    set udg_stp[5] = GetRandomLocInRect(gg_rct_MonstersSpawn5)
    set udg_stp[6] = GetRandomLocInRect(gg_rct_MonstersSpawn6)
    set udg_stap = GetRandomLocInRect(gg_rct_MonstersSpawn7AIRSPANWSONLY)
    set udg_S_I[1] = 'n001'
    set udg_S_I[2] = 'n000'
    set udg_S_I[3] = 'n002'
    set udg_S_I[4] = 'u001'
    set udg_minhi = ( udg_minhi + 8 )
    set udg_minli = ( udg_minli + 4 )
    set udg_i = ( udg_minhi + ( udg_minli * ( 2 / 3 ) ) )
    set udg_waveint = ( udg_waveint + 1 )
    loop
        exitwhen sloop > udg_i
        set udg_sti = GetRandomInt(1, 4)
        call CreateNUnitsAtLoc( 1, udg_S_I[udg_sti], Player(1), udg_stp[1], bj_UNIT_FACING )
        set udg_u = GetLastCreatedUnit()
        call IssuePointOrder(udg_u,"attack",0,0)
        set udg_u = null
        call CreateNUnitsAtLoc( 1, udg_S_I[udg_sti], Player(1), udg_stp[2], bj_UNIT_FACING )
        set udg_u = null
        call CreateNUnitsAtLoc( 1, udg_S_I[udg_sti], Player(1), udg_stp[3], bj_UNIT_FACING )
        set udg_u = null
        call CreateNUnitsAtLoc( 1, udg_S_I[udg_sti], Player(1), udg_stp[4], bj_UNIT_FACING )
        set udg_u = null
        call CreateNUnitsAtLoc( 1, udg_S_I[udg_sti], Player(1), udg_stp[5], bj_UNIT_FACING )
        set udg_u = null
        call CreateNUnitsAtLoc( 1, udg_S_I[udg_sti], Player(1), udg_stp[6], bj_UNIT_FACING )
        set udg_u = null
        call CreateNUnitsAtLoc( 1, 'u001', Player(1), udg_stap, bj_UNIT_FACING )
        set udg_u = null
        set udg_sti = 0
        set sloop = sloop + 1
        call PolledWait(0.20)
    endloop
    call ExecuteFunc("SpawnCond")
    set udg_S_I[1] = 0
    set udg_S_I[2] = 0
    set udg_S_I[3] = 0
    set udg_S_I[4] = 0
    call RemoveLocation(udg_stap)
    call RemoveLocation(udg_stp[1])
    call RemoveLocation(udg_stp[2])
    call RemoveLocation(udg_stp[3])
    call RemoveLocation(udg_stp[4])
    call RemoveLocation(udg_stp[5])
    call RemoveLocation(udg_stp[6])
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Spawn takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_Spawn = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterPlayerStateEvent( gg_trg_Spawn, Player(1), PLAYER_STATE_RESOURCE_FOOD_USED, LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, 0.00 )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_Spawn, function Main_Actions )
endfunction

And to you who doesn't know: I'm Vestras.