• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

{OLD} Wc3:WoW Discussion

What should the Wc3:WoW Team focus on most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Another big news post this evening. Special thanks to Dr Super Good, redmarine, and the other guys from THW chat that helped persuade me to want StarCraft 2 a bit more.

Wc3:WoW News Post said:
SC2:WoW?
It turns out, StarCraft 2: World of Warcraft isn't all that bad of an idea...

So I was in The Hive Workshop's chatroom yesterday and some of the users such as redmarine and Dr Super Good have informed me that creating StarCraft 2: World of Warcraft would be a good idea because of the following reasons:

• StarCraft 2's engine is far better than the WarCraft III engine - looks better, better performance, and more to do in it.
  • Galaxy Editor surpasses the World Editor by a long-shot according to some modders who've toyed with it already.
  • Easy-to-use and easy-to-customize, unlike the World Editor.
  • We use all of the World of Warcraft exports as we can get: models, textures, animations, sounds, music, icons, interface images, etc.
  • Making SC2:WoW multiplayer is less of a hassle as it is for Wc3:WoW.
  • More people will own StarCraft 2 than WarCraft III. (a likely prediction)
  • No need of third-party programs to run the mod properly.

But there are some cons as well:

• Blizzard Entertainment may force a price onto the project, requiring those who wish to play SC2:WoW to pay-to-play SC2:WoW first. It wouldn't be a monthly fee though - just a one-time fee.
  • Not everyone who was looking forward to Wc3:WoW will be able to play - many people who look forward to Wc3:WoW have low-end computers.
  • Very large file size. Although this will be the same case for Wc3:WoW, the size may be larger due to the fact we'd be using all of WoW's content, which is often a lot.
  • If Blizzard Entertainment, for some reason, decides to notify us that we're doing something they do not like, SC2:WoW will be canceled - but at least Wc3:WoW will remain alive.
  • Wc3:WoW might not live much longer, but we'd release a BETA anyway to show what we had/have.

I and the rest of the team are quite curious what you guys may be thinking. Do you guys approve of this? Development on terrain would certainly be much faster and the new editor's code which StarCraft 2 presents will also make the possibilities much greater. In the end, for players who can handle StarCraft 2, it'll be a much better playing experience than it is on Wc3:WoW. No harm intended against Wc3:WoW of course, but quiet honestly, if the Wc3:WoW team shifts to StarCraft 2, life for us and you guys may get better...
Comments?

And of course, for this week's update, Warsong Gulch has been a focus for me. However, not a ton complete. But to shut you guys up a tiny bit, here's a Work-In-Progress screenshot of what I've got so far. WIP 1, WIP 2, WIP 3.

The Horde side is about 45% complete (need to add mountains, fix the cliff that drops to battlefield, and a few other things. Then I'll work my way to the Alliance base as I add tiles and props and so on that lead up to it. I know the Horde side may look like $#!% because of the tile choice, but it's the best tile we've got for The Barrens/Warsong Gulch. As for the scale being "too large" or "too far", I'm still working on it, but for the most part, it's like that so it takes a bit to steal the flag and capture it. Would be a pain in the @$$ if your flag was captured within 1 minute.

I might upload more screenshots tomorrow. Stay tuned, as always...

I'd appreciate some feedback on this one for sure. It's a huge move to decide to make SC2:WoW. Knowing whether the community supports us or not may influence our decision further to a definite answer.

Level 6
Lol, SC2:WoW...interesting. You will draw some people, yet push some away, if you decide to go with it. But why would blizzard put a price onto the project? Those greedy...I shouldn't say anything. But really, don't they have enough money, already?

Craka, you are VERY busy.

Level 9
Another big news post this evening. Special thanks to Dr Super Good, redmarine, and the other guys from THW chat that helped persuade me to want StarCraft 2 a bit more.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this one for sure. It's a huge move to decide to make SC2:WoW. Knowing whether the community supports us or not may influence our decision further to a definite answer.

some triggers can be like converted i think. into sc2.

Level 8
I know for a fact that I will not be buying/playing SC2 due to the fact that it is another scheme for Blizzard to turn into a big cash cow.

Maps that must be charged for? What if it is a terrible game? Or just not your style? Not to mention Blizzard will take a cut of what the creator gets for the map purchases.

And if the team is huge then what is the point for it? So each creator can get a nickle? While Blizzard is raking in cash because of this?

Well, there is my hate for it but do what you want, this is of course YOUR project.

Level 3
I'm going to buy SC2, Blizzard charging for maps isn't much of a problem to me. I'm just not going to buy them, however alluring they might be. I tend to grow bored of maps after one or two plays (that's why I've been lurking around here for ages, I think WC3:WOW might be the exception), so paying ANY amount (unless it's a stupidly small amount) would be a stupid move for me.

Of course, exception or not, I'm not going to pay to find out. If SC2:WOW is made, great! SC2's editor is far more flexible than WC3's (or so I keep hearing), so SC2:WOW may be a better game in the end. But if I need to pay for it, I'm gone.

~The eternal cheapskate

Level 8
Ahh... The sadness that I missed being able to teach that troll Omega. Oh well, you can't really take him serious if he is saying that BC was better than Vanilla. At least he got people posting in the thread no?

Anyone else think he ripped that "terrain" he had off of something? I very well doubt he created that in a short amount of time.

Craka you're the master terrainer, explain.

Level 9
Ahh... The sadness that I missed being able to teach that troll Omega. Oh well, you can't really take him serious if he is saying that BC was better than Vanilla. At least he got people posting in the thread no?

Anyone else think he ripped that "terrain" he had off of something? I very well doubt he created that in a short amount of time.

Craka you're the master terrainer, explain.

Now, don't you feed that troll. It is not worth it, it have showed us all how negative and attention-needy a single person can be. Cracka handled him perfectly. So now let the troll rest, and let us all hope that it will find another forum to troll, and that it will never return to theHive again :)

Level 25
Trolls only want to aggravate people and insult. It's a form of entertainment through ignorance, really. If I were to only complain about his trolling habit in the thread, it would have turned into a few pages of a thread of rants and essentially a flame-war. So instead, I answered each of his misguided questions with clear and correct information to help educate him more about the project so he'll think twice before posting another hate-thread like that. I even had given him multiple reference links to posts that will help justify my position and support on Wc3:WoW.

Clearly his intentions were to discourage the developers and those looking forward to this mod by throwing irrational and unsupported claims about the mod and how people will feel. I have evidence that the mod will do just fine if we complete it. Where's his? Exactly.

[EDIT]
As much as I enjoy watching you shoot 'Internet Idiots' down, I felt it was in the mod & community's best shared interest to resolve the issue as quickly as possible... even if I had to write a 20 paragraph post to do it. Better luck next time!

Level 25
BREAKING NEWS: It seems I have a virus on my computer that forces my PC to load really, really slowly and removes the Windows taskbar and "Start" button from the bottom of the screen. If I am unable to fix this issue, I lose a lot of important progress made on Mulgore, Warsong Gulch, and Durotar. If that's the case... I'll be waiting for StarCraft II before reconsidering Wc3:WoW/SC2:WoW again.

I had made backup files, but unfortunately they're large files and never had the time to upload them. Now it's biting me in the ass and can't get the backup files at all. Hooray.

Level 9
BREAKING NEWS: It seems I have a virus on my computer that forces my PC to load really, really slowly and removes the Windows taskbar and "Start" button from the bottom of the screen. If I am unable to fix this issue, I lose a lot of important progress made on Mulgore, Warsong Gulch, and Durotar. If that's the case... I'll be waiting for StarCraft II before reconsidering Wc3:WoW/SC2:WoW again.

I had made backup files, but unfortunately they're large files and never had the time to upload them. Now it's biting me in the ass and can't get the backup files at all. Hooray.

You really should keep a backup somewhere safe, you can use my computer as backup for instance :wink:

Anyway, just fix the virus? From where did you get it? .. I'm not sure i like that question answerd :hohum: do I? Anyways, it seems like you KNOW it's there and not just explorer not starting, so what is the name of the virus?

I had a lot of them, and killed them all, I hope ;)

But first, try Ctrl-Alt-Delete and start task-manager, then File -> Run -> Enter "explorer.exe" and see if that gets your taskbar running again

Level 8
/gulp
This is a huge setback. How long is the computer on before it restarts? And how are you posting?

Last edited:
Level 8
A laptop obviously, start it in safe mode Craka then download the files in the above post burn it stick it in the drive and blam

Level 9
You know, it could be a hardware error. You can try to take every hard-ware part out, and then in your computer again. Or even listen to the beep sounds it makes (if it's old like mine) and listen if it says some unusual sounds. In that case, you can find out which part is broken.

Fact is, that there are not many viruses who damage your computer that bad, they normally just hang out to grab some passwords of yours :)

I sure hope your hard-drive is not unreadable :'(

Level 25
That makes two of us, indomitable1319.

I am about to put my VISTA disk in the PC and try to "repair" the hard-drive. From what I've been told, this checks for lost Windows files and adds whatever files are missing. Hopefully though, it deletes all the files, and then replaces them with Windows files. I personally think this would do a better and more thorough job of cleaning infected Windows files.

Wish me luck!

Level 8
The way I said above starting in safe mode and using the disks etc... Is the best way to make sure your computer is 100% clean. Some virus's if deleted will just multiply and make your computer inoperable if the main file is deleted.

Level 25
There is a God! (just kidding of course)

Here's a quoted news post I just made at Mod DB:
Mod DB News Post said:
God Bless "Repair"
Just when we all thought it was seriously the end, everything turns out to be fine. Wc3:WoW is not going to die!

Oh man, it has been one hell of a frustrating few days already. Been trying to get my files back by repeatedly taking out and putting back in my hardware, fondling with the BIOS and other settings, and even considered getting a professional to at least save Wc3:WoW. However, it turned out that the reason for my PC constantly restarting and showing Blue Screens before I could even log in was due to the loss of a number of vital Windows files. All it really took was a quick BIOS change and hour-long "repair" by using the VISTA installation disk.

I've immediately uploaded the mod to several protected and private websites to ensure we can at least hold onto this version for a longer duration without having to worry. The virus might strike back at my PC again soon since it is unusually really, really slow, but it won't matter that much. Wc3:WoW is safe and sound.

Sorry for all the worry and lack of faith embedded in many of you guys. I was almost certain that it was the end of the mod and felt I should just let you guys know. I also realize a lot of people had become enraged for me posting the previous news post, thinking it was a mere scapegoat to easily quit and walk away. Wc3:WoW has been in development for over 4 years. If I quit, I'll either find a good replacement immediately or simply release the mod. But quitting is not on my agenda!

Stay tuned for more information regarding development...

Level 7
this would be great..
good for those who cant afford the real WoW game and i know this will be the epic of all...

i suggest arrow key systems like left and right arrow to turn rotation of the camera and up and down for angle of attack...

i hope thats good ^^

Level 25
Will try cleaning up my PC tomorrow evening. If the virus on my PC prevents me from doing so, I'll just reboot the system. Rebooting my PC is the last thing I want to do. So I'm trying to do just about anything that's free to avoid having to resort to deleting it all and starting anew.

Wc3:WoW and Ardent Heroes may be saved, but it's also a big inconvenience to lose all the music, games, applications, etc. on my computer as well.

Level 5
Hey quick question about Wc3:WoW... not sure if its been mentioned before because I'm too lazy to dig through 80 pages of talk... What's the deal with reputation and factions in the Mod? Will there be other factions(beside the obvious horde and alliance) but will there be like home city rep, argent dawn, timbermaw hold, ect... Can you gain rep with them and see your rep in a menu or something?

Level 8
#1 Making it more zoned into pre bc WoW (Since this is what it is based on) Such as...
[A]Mounts of other races purchased after exalted is earned.

Yabooer:
When mounting is added, you'll be able to purchase an Skeletal Horse, even if you're an Orc. But you'll most likely require Exalted reputation with a faction in order to do so.

Hopefully this has answered your question, took about 5 seconds to find, "Search this forum" is a nice tool, use it sometime =)

Level 4
I think you're shooting way too high if you think that Blizzard is going to put a price tag on this or any of the projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.