• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Content Discussion [SPOILER]

Level 11
Wel,
According to my 'investigations', the rocks and the pond in the background is indeed from "Lords of the Golden Guard" so you're right. There are a few Farms just out of sight in the top right corner, so the Golden Guard's outer defense line is also still there.

I can't imagine all of these Heroes being playable though. Maybe they're all controlled by allied players, but since they look like they're representing their respective unit-types, maybe each attack wave will have one of them as a leader?

If the allies indeed get stronger, I'll try to win without Marin's Airships.
Well, in the original chapter, the player controls Renault Van Durce and Holy Bastion hero, while Marin remained inside the city, beside the weapon. If the map becomes more difficult in terms of stronger enemy waves, we may gain control of extra heroes, I suppose

Level 11
Anyone feeling like a little spoiler for the next chapter? :peasant-wink:
Well, here you go!

full
it seems that Genethas days are numbered now

Level 20
I think it's "Lords of the Golden Guard", I'm not sure, though. In case I'm right, I wonder which race will change the Darkmind orcs that attack player's Golden Guard. Perhaps another demon camp led by a traitor veteran general Genethas?
Can confirm, it's Lords of the Golden Guard, I'd recognize the little slope into a pond any day. So many dead paladins inside...

I hope we'll be able to see these heroes in battle. Maybe Van Durce will also comment on the... tragic accident that his favored Angelic suffered at the Salrian border (Though since the undead ended up killing everyone I wonder if he's been informed of the specifics)

The dominion has obviously nothing to do here so the big question is, who's gonna replace them ? Maybe some Royal vanguard...

Now that I think about it, maybe it's this level the green dragons get introduced in. It could be linked with the fact it's the first time we see black dragons on the field of battle.

Level 20
Maybe the one from the Undead chapter where a player possesses her? Isn't possessing her a side quest, not related to the main quest?
It got turned into a main quest in the true story. Still, having a doppleganger impersonate her in the main Golden guard camp would be bold, even for the Rohir nexus. Either way, it seems unlikely it would be her since the undead couldn't possess her long before she broke out. Unless Rahandir freed her but him betraying Aridon so soon would be very unlikely.

I just noticed we have what seems like two generic paladin heroes but no Praxeus (unless he's one of the two but I doubt it). Maybe he already left for the dwarves or maybe he's on some other mission...

Level 19
I just noticed we have what seems like two generic paladin heroes but no Praxeus (unless he's one of the two but I doubt it). Maybe he already left for the dwarves or maybe he's on some other mission...

It is possible that Praxeus is on his way to the Dwarves. I mean when you look at the Arkain it's a long journey from the Elven Kingdom to the Mountains between Kerrel and Salria.

But if this coming chapter is the 'The Lords of Golden Guard Chapter" But revamped? I'm going to expect some major changes to the layout of the map. And some added Dialogues to how the Master of Arkain treated the Golden Guard (Except Cora's Coast Battalion) as the Punching bags for the Iron Fist, The Tribal Dominion, and the Undead.

Lenard: Come to think of it now?... I kinda feel bad for them.

Zergy: Lenard, I understand your feelings, but we are talking about the Golden Guard! They deserve this! Remember they plan to abandon the continent! Plus they kinda remind of me of a certain Pinoy political party that ruined our beloved country...

Lenard: Whoa! Whoa, Zergy! Lets us not talk about Real world politics, ok?! Especially the Pinoy Polotics, yeesh... Just stick to Arkain Polotics.

Anyways... This chapter better have ORBS and items at my disposal. Be aware, @ Shar Dundred, that I have discovered a bug within the item shop in the previous version of this chapter in the Second Human Book...

Level 19
I don't wanna spoiler anything yet but I will give the hint that you may want to keep a close eye on the characters in the picture. ;)
None of them is Praxeus. They are 5 generic GG commanders, so Genethas better bring the big guns if he wants to even have a chance.

You won't need to worry about orbs or item shops in this chapter... ;)
That means a lot of demonlords behind trees dropping items... Crap.

Level 26

There is nothing genetic in that picture

You won't need to worry about orbs or item shops in this chapter... ;)
Like in my chapters of The True Story. You made us very eager to play that chapter now...

That means a lot of demonlords behind trees dropping items... Crap.
What's the problem? It's fun! The best thing you can experience, when you are in middle of a battle, and something big and powerful pop up in your base!

Level 27
We can always just shoot them down while they're still behind the trees, or as a Redfist once said about the Orcs, "give the men some shooting practice". The strat is even better now that they can no longer Charm mechanical units.

Although, now that I think of it, Demons aren't really good leaders, are they?

Demonlords: We're some of the strongest frontline fighter of our respective legions. What do you want us to do?
Leader: idk go hide behind a bunch of trees or sth, and don't reveal yourselves until 30 mins into the match, at which point our enemies will have enough firepower to deal with you easily.
Demonlords: lol okay.

Edit:

So this is what the Xel'Naga's been looking for. Purity of Form merged with Purity of Essence.

Level 19
Demonlords: We're some of the strongest frontline fighter of our respective legions. What do you want us to do?
Leader: idk go hide behind a bunch of trees or sth, and don't reveal yourselves until 30 mins into the match, at which point our enemies will have enough firepower to deal with you easily.
Demonlords: lol okay.
Also Demon Leader: And don't forget to bring along my most Valuable Treasures. They might bring you good luck in your ambush.

Later...

Van Durce: Aha! Another treasure for my collection!

Demon Leader: Maybe I should have thought this through?...

Level 20
Well i am abit late on this one aren't I?

Was Harmos this downright hostile to vail even on the SHB?
I am kinda digging it the involment of regiments Leaders in the main story line, defo it gives the regiments much more life , I mean they already got fleshed out back stories, but watching their leaders get involved in the main story line always puts a smile on my face.

Was the old Legion map as hard as this one? I got my ass handed to me multiple times before i could even do anything.

So let me get this right, Aridon makes a pact with Brian, he leaves orcs be and sends the bone lords to destroy them and his bonelords destroy the royal family which makes the prospect of the Humans of Salria mounting any meaningful resistance towards the Orcs absolutley 0. What in the world is homeboy doing? Has he picked up a new kink that involves shooting himself in the foot everytime he gets the opportunity? I also love the sadistic tendencies he has, He allows Kazardius and his nexus enough free will to lament the fate they might have to fight against smth they died for in the past while being in absolute controll of their souls...It dont get better than that if you ask me.

OH LOOK ITS THE F... ORCS AGAIN.
They raid the kingdoms redirect attention from the front with the deamons towards them making it so the demons advance.
They kill Cleavehand and destroy a great portion of the imperial force which leads to the DEMONS PUSHING EVEN FURTHER.
They DESTROY SALRIA the only intact human kingdom capable to help the war effort against the demons.
And it turns out they were the one's who woke up Largoth, so red orcs are simply orcs corupted by largoth, dark ones (or whatever their name was, the ones rocking the drenai model) seem to be enforcers of his will among the red orcs right? But what are they? What were they before they turned into what they are? Or could they be the creation of Largoth himself?
Also i find it ironic that ranguls last wish got fulfiled, Gorthog did become chieftain, only he ended up on the team red instead of team green.
Awww and when i started to think Inara and Lokar would form a interesting bond of characters he got killed.

Level 19
Was Harmos this downright hostile to vail even on the SHB?
I am kinda digging it the involment of regiments Leaders in the main story line, defo it gives the regiments much more life , I mean they already got fleshed out back stories, but watching their leaders get involved in the main story line always puts a smile on my face.
No, he wasn't. His old attitude was like. Oh, you're name is Vail, and you're a descendant of Zyainor? Cool... But now his attitude has changed to being hostile to her.
Was the old Legion map as hard as this one? I got my ass handed to me multiple times before i could even do anything.
No, it's actually quite manageable for us. You just need to know the right start to use mate. In this case we actually use the Free Sand Dragons to bust open the defenses of the Moghtar and took the Goldmine for ourselves.
What in the world is homeboy doing?
At this point, the Master of Arkain has embraced the fact that Aridon is an Egotistic Idiot of Arkain.
Awww and when i started to think Inara and Lokar would form a interesting bond of characters he got killed.
I know its a shame that my boi Lokar gets the Arrow on the back. Plus I have a hunch Inara might still have some influences from Zoia's brainwashing.

Anyone looking forward to getting some gold today?
Lenard: The Council of Arkain is awaiting the Golden moment to shine, Master Arkain.

Zergy: We await our charge into combat.

Lenard: And do some bug hunting while we kill Genthas.

Zergy: Yeah, Yeah. We kill Genethas first before we hunt the bugs, ok? And just don't come running in to report unnecessary news on the Bug thread ok, Lenard? Remember what happened last time?

Lenard: Yes, Zergy... My Apologies for that...

Level 20
No, it's actually quite manageable for us. You just need to know the right start to use mate. In this case we actually use the Free Sand Dragons to bust open the defenses of the Moghtar and took the Goldmine for ourselves.
Whats with the whole we? You role-playing the bone lords or smth?
Joked asside, i was extremely rusty took me a couple attempts but got the hang of it.
@Shar Dundred You really ditching melee heavy maps True story exclusive chapters aye? Loved the whole mechanic of subduing the orcs.

Level 19
To make things clear. While in your abscense. The Council has discovered a Strategy that involves using The Free Sand Dragons to bust open the so called Impregnable Denfenses of the Mogthar. That will result your main army to slowly push in and kill the initial defenders inside.

Yes I tend to that here. Just a personality I developed the past month I have been staying with the Arkain Community.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Come in, Mikasa, you have been around for a while now.
Arkain leads to the creation of new keyboards, minds and personalities alike!
The "High Quality Cruelty" design is too much for many to handle!

As someone who regularly enjoys LARPing as a brainwashed Ironfist, I can relate.
You sure it's not real?
@Shar Dundred You really ditching melee heavy maps True story exclusive chapters aye?
Not really.

Level 17
Review of the new chapter:
-Well, this is quite a surprise! A whole family army. Yes, I can smell it, arrogance in different levels in each of them. The Van Durce family is surely numerous... but for how much longer?
-It seems neither Praxeus not the High lord want to kill Gardon, but there is no other choice. Light and darkness can't merge and be in peace (This is not WoW after all, stupid priests)
-Genethas, you should bring more forces... Either that or the demons knew that he would fail anyway.
-Surely Van Durce wants to give more "massages" to Genethas with his hammer.
-Well, the Golden guard is now exiled for the dead of the former elven queen and for failing in killing Gardon. It's time for them to prepare for the crash againts de Ironfist.
-Surely Van Durce's children are determined to eliminate Gardon, at least the boys. Sadly, there is a shadow knight that wouldn't accept such a thing. Now imagined if Brian uses his magic to make turn one of Van Durce's children against him. I can foresee an Holy Nova against us.
-The name of one of the Angelics in the ending cinematic... Oh boy!

Gameplay:
- I send the heroes against the demons in front of the base. My surprise when I killed the large one, I remembered the fates worse than dead for them. I wonder now if Van Durce used his tricks in the other demons who tried to escape.
-Well hello to the other surprise in this chapter! Armored swamp dragons! Those flying things are the best friends the GG will have, and a true nightmare for the Ironfist.
-I kill the Dark elves in the previous missions... I wonder what impact will have if I don't attack them.
-My personal recommendation is resist the attacks of the demons and the slaves until you had enough wood for Marin. Then you can attack with al of your forces, and if your allies are attacking at the same time, better.

Also, the base of the demon slaves don't have the new textures of the buildings and else.

Anyway, great job for all!.

Level 11
so i played and finished the mission and van durce have 3 sons and 2 daughters with him to be honest i have a bad feeling that some of them if not all will die somehow later because you already killed some unexpected people and the the demon is named vanguard really shar vanguard for the golden guards that is totally unexpected but that doesn t matter what s matter is that it was good to see genethas die really good now i will be waiting for inara death :) but i must say i am a bit disappointed the mission was a bit too easy i mean i just used the destractors to destroy the demon gates and then ordered all of my units to attack genethas base and i just destroyed in no time

Level 27
I got to say, excellent timing, because the new update was released right when I was about to hit the sack, so I stayed up to be the first one to clear the whole thing.

WC3ScrnShot_052323_012020_08.png

WC3ScrnShot_052323_013737_12.png

And as I promised, if my allies were stronger, I wouldn't use airships at all, so here's a Mass Angelic clear. These units are so strong once I learned how to turn off Inspire auto-cast.

STORY:
  • So turns out, all of the Heroes in the image before are all children of Renald. It should have been obvious, but somehow, that thought never crossed my mind when I looked at the image. Most of them still have the same superiority complex, despite their manpower are stretched thin, and are surrounded by enemies. Never change, Golden Guard.
  • Flavius doesn't have much for me to talk about, but he does offer a new perspective for the Lore Entries. Besides, Marin, Praxeus, and Renald don't look much like the writing type anyway.
  • Edward is the hot-headed type, but also capable in combat, kinda like Dorbric at the moment. Richard and Valorie are interesting. To Richard, being an Angelic is not such a great honor, and as the last scene implies, he still sees them with fiery eyes. Makes me wonder what does it actually take for a normal human to become an Angelic.
  • Fiona is the youngest, and it makes sense why Renald wants to keep her safe. Although, like dogs in JJBA, younglings in Arkain tend to have a shorter lifespan than one would normally prefer.
  • And Lerrig turns out to be the husband of Catherine van Durce, the eldest daughter of Renald, which pisses off Flavius when Gardon killed him. I wonder if they would react the same way if they found out how incompetent Lerrig was when compared to the rest of the Golden Guards.
  • Genethas, as always, is still a cunt. However, his presence here helps Renald vent a lot of his anger. Would be a nice touch if his corpse explode right as Renald brings down the last hammer strike.
  • Renald wants to be loyal to his Empire, but he also has doubt of Definitely-Not-A-Bald-Dude-Pretending-To-Be-The-Emperor. So, he blames Genethas by forcing Gardon's hand to turn Imperials against Imperials, which in turn forces the Emperor to order Gardon's death. An interesting thought process that somehow makes sense. And I love his aggressive speeches to Genethas. I rate it a Redfist/10.
  • I guess before the penultimatum, he'll have one talk with Gardon and things will turn out the same way as canon A. Then Ebira will arrive while Gardon's in a foul mood, and he'll reject her offer as well.
  • Also, another prediction. If Renald dies during his fight with Gardon, and Praxeus is forced into retreat, I guess the mission "Golden Crusade" will be revamped, and now we're going to play as Flavius to sail back to Rodan with the Golden Guards' remnants? Just don't let Aedale nuke them, because that's kinda lame.

GAMEPLAY:
  • Barracks units are fine. Zealot can be promoted to Templars, but since Executors exist, why not just build them with less hassle? Crossbowmen are tanky ranged unit, kinda like Goldaxe Spearthrowers - strong but boring. Executors are well-rounded, with some splash damage. But Lieutenants are the worst Leader-type unit ever. Overseers, Ghosts, and Greywolves will always be better than "10% melee damage deflect". They don't even have additional spell to compensate like Icekeepers smh.
  • Workshop units. Siege Tanks are good. Decent HP pool, fast projectile speed, although the Breath of Fire doesn't have an actual cone of fire spewing out, but rather just a spurt, eliminating my use for War Golems altogether. Destructors are obviously good, and the only thing that can improve them is to give them Elune's Grace for more spell resistance or something, which they don't need.
  • So Demonlords were purified and turned into Vanguards, which somehow looked scarier than the Demons themselves. Weaker than Deathlords, but also have Devotion Aura, so they can provide value in combat even when they run out of mana.
  • Sanctum units. So, I just noticed that Angelics are "supporting spellcasters", and it's true. They 'support' by throwing Holy Smite at everyone who's unlucky enough to run into them. And they have Light armor that can benefits from upgrades, so when combined with their large HP pool, gave me a tanky nuker that can deal tons of Magic damage on attacks, and can't be killed by Siege weapons. Paladins are fine, but I had too much fun with Angelics so I kinda swept them aside.
  • The Royal Army is kinda pathetic. Edward and Richard aren't even in their base half of the time, but they still couldn't break through the Holy Battalion's line. I decided to gift them a few Cannon Towers to make sure that they look even more pathetic than they already are.
  • Thanok's Dragons were the most annoying because Guard Towers couldn't deal with them consistently. Although, they came in small number, so that's a relief. And Swamp Dragons were much better too, I might add, as they can benefit from armor upgrades.
  • And the A.I, the Demons are stupid, and the Golden Guards are jerk in a good way. One Demon Slave base doesn't do anything but sending out weak air supports. The Demons were adamant to guard the entrance, even though their Gates were being blasted, and Renald was literally destroying Genethas' castle. And the allied Golden Guards just ignored everything and zipped past the guarding Demons to target down the remaining Peasants, and Genethas' buildings.
  • There were also a Dune Worm called Imperator outside of the map, but I don't know what it is a reference to.

Basically, I like this mission, and I had fun.

- Flavius' revival text is empty, while Praxeus' spells out his entire name.

WC3ScrnShot_052323_005619_04.png

WC3ScrnShot_052323_010734_06.png

Level 26
The New Mission was amazing. I had few forgetable disappointments.

• I'm a bit suprised about Angelic's food cost (4!). Man, they sure need lot of food, they look thin, and not fat that's sure. One of the reasons why I found 120 food limit too little.
  • Purified Deathlords name was disappointed me, but their capabilites not. (7-10 Deathlords can be found on this map, so it's a good idea to get them, before storming the Demon Slave scum base).
  • Sending 10K lumber to get Airships + Pride of Humanities is a good deal, but they can fill no time the 120 food limit.
  • I also missed the option to Train Armored Swamp Dragons, but I understand it: If we can train those beasts, than there is no challenge on this map.
  • I also miss the Pegasus Riders/ Golden Guard Alternative of it. I understand, Airships are better.
  • Black Dragons are annoying, but nothing too dangerous. No joke, they can seriously cripple the base, if they don't meet any serious opposition, but a good old tower spam can solve even this new kind of threats. The layering and distance between them are important. Oh, and the towers don't lasts forever.
  • The "Oh, look a that! Demonlords Behind the trees!" phenomen is a bit used, and I somehow I don't expected to meet them in the way it happened, so they suprised me first time / from a long time ago/ again, the north group. After that, I searched the other side of the base, and I found them. When you suspect something, it's easier to meet & Defeat them. So, I let my guard down this time, but sadly: nobody knows what future brings. Shar, I was fallen for this trick of yours... I didn't suspect that!
  • I expected to sweat blood, rethink my strategies unlimited times, and burning my limited time of existence on this chapter, only to defeat the foes of this chapter: I don't want to be "Golden Guard Arrogant", but I found this map with the given Reinforcements ( 3 Armored Swamp Dragons, Pride of Humanity x2 + Airships x4) a bit easy, but I only write this, because I attacked the Demon Slaves with the Allied Units at the same time, so probably my estimation of difficulty is not proven to be right, and I seriously need to lower of expections sometimes (Shar, you made them too high with your Arkain series, on my perspective).
  • Leadership Bonuses are good, the +200 health for several units or Bonuses just for the Paladins are a bit extreme - two side of extreme preferably -. I choosed first and last time the +200 health for several units. It was a bad choice. No regret.
  • I don't even know, when a Zealot converted to be a Templar, where are they spawn? I mean, I send only one for pure curiousity, and I never met the converted unit ever. Or I missed it. It's interesting to see this concept, I find it very uncomfortable to convert any type of unit, and I never converted any Zealot unit on this map (Only just 1), since Paladins in the frontline are very OP.

Level 20
I've tried out the new mission. I have to say, this mission was really fun before, but now it's 10 times better! Learning more about Van Durce and his family is always nice, I really like his children, hopefully they'll have more screen time in future missions. I hope they'll find a way to get along with Gardon (press X to doubt), because I don't want them to die. :D Genethas finally got what he deserved, and the Golden Guard faction is really fun to play with. I also like that you replaced the random orcs, it would have made no sense (considering what the orcs are doing right now) to include them.

Level 29
My review of Act Eight, Chapter Five:

Grammar:
Loading Screen: "denouncned" --> "dennounced"

Lore:
-"We have been betrayed" Says the same people that were planning to let an entire continent be killed.
-I see that Renald forgot to tell his children that he had previously sent an army to kill Gardon.
-Oh please, Renald. We all know that your precious "Light" is no better than the Darkness that "corrupted" Gardon. At least the Darkness has an actual deity still walking around, while you worship a god that has been dead for millenia.
-Genethas, you should bring more forces... Either that or the demons knew that he would fail anyway.
Genethas was clearly used to test the Golden Guard's defenses.
-The name of one of the Angelics in the ending cinematic... Oh boy!
These guys are so blinded by their justice and Light that they can't see evil standing right next to them... or in their own hearts.
Let's just hope that they don't get stabbed in the back... not that they don't deserve it.

so i played and finished the mission and van durce have 3 sons and 2 daughters with him to be honest i have a bad feeling that some of them if not all will die somehow later
They will 100% die. These guys are too loyal and self-rightseous to either surrender or flee.

Level 11
Ok, so these new Green Dragons were OP in comparison to Black Dragons in terms of their armor - the Plated human armor is applied on them (on purpose, maybe? It's still OP, imo).
I've encountered an extra "for" word at the ending cinematic when Renault was smashing Genethas to pieces. It's during the second hit, if I remember correctly.
Oh boy, I can't imagine what a battle with Gardon will look like and whose faction victory will be the common... I suppose Gardon's, because there are many allies of Gardon who can overpower both Golden Guard and their new dwarven allies (I suppose GG and the dwarves will be allies just like in the Second Human Book). On one side, there may be an alliance between the humans and orcs due to their connection via Brian. On the other side, there could also be the undead faction that could ally with Gardon, just like in the SHB. Now that's the alliance worthy to take on Golden Guard and the dwarves...

Level 19
The Council has Spoken Then. It's My turn to review to Revamped Chapter.

So the Golden Guard Heroes, that were revealed during the pre-release of the latest chapter, were no other than the Children of the Van Durce huh? They got that family fude vibes in them. But I'll point out the more relevant Attitudes in this Golden, but Arrogant, family.

You got the Eldest son- who is the second in command with Van Durce.

The Mysterious and somewhat broken relationship between Richard and Valarie. I want to know more about the process of becoming an Angelic. In what way? Is it like brainwashing???

Then you got the youngest don't die stereotype. The least relevant Character in terms of lore, but I have a hunch it serves as a plot device later on as the Story takes a very... A very Dark toll against Van durce and his family.

The other son, who @nchp1903 pointed out to be a hot head, is just your average I want to get into the battle person and less take more fight.

Still, the interactions with the Children greatly contribute the lore to the story and reveal what their reactions are when they will eventually find out about the terrible truth... With the Beloved Emperor and the death of their incompetent Family in law, Lerrig.

1.) The map layout still remains the same, but the base location did indeed change. To the South, instead of having the Orcs messing around with your base from time to time, you got Van durce's boys guarding the post.

Lenard: Wonder how Wrath convinced Sasrogarn and Grofzag to come there in the original version of this chapter in the first place?

Zergy: We might never know, Lenard. The master of Arkain can be mysterious sometimes, but still, I'm glad that Wrath Wolf Scar finally died. He led some of our Cyclops brethren to their blind deaths...

2.) I expected the Black Dragons and they were annoying as hell! Their resistant skin mitigates the piercing damage. They took as if it was like someone is just tickling them.

Lenard: I find it ticklish too and somewhat pleasurable.

Zergy: ...Lenard are you fucking masochist?! I don't find having an arrow on my belly very pleasurable.

Lenard: Alright, I take it back, seesh! Can't an Ogre enjoy himself...

... Anyways the new Swamp Dragon allies... In terms of upgrades, their Armor upgrade is stupidly broken! 12 Armor status of a Bearman + Resistance skin?? What were you thinking??? They are as bulky compared to their Black and Red Counterparts. By far the most enduring Dragon species I've seen.

Lenard: Chief Borean called, Master of Arkain. He wants his Armor stats back.

This makes me wonder what is the lore behind to these Dragon species if the Swamp Dragons have an issue with the Black Dragons. And what is the Red Dragon's stand in finding out that the Black Dragons are rebuilding a cursed nation that is Zyianor?

3.) Genthats. Oh, Genthats you have this coming, you son of a bitch. It's clear that the Soul eaters sent you and your forces to be the test dummies for a car crash simulation before they themselves become the actual car crash dummies. He deserved that brutal pounding from Van durce.

Lenard: I have no sympathy for this man. But his ideas about the Emperor were justifiable.

Zergy: True that... Still siding with the demons was a bad choice.

4.) And speaking of Demons, the Demon Lords, when killed, can become a Vanguard?... Huh?! Van durce light magic is strong enough to turn something foul in a human. Wait those that Mean Demons are humans as well?

Lenard: Don't make such an assumption, Zergy.

Zergy: Lenard, unlike you. I have been observing you while you enjoy yourself with your weird activities.

... Still... The conversion was... Unexpected... First Death Lords now this?? What abomination, not the Undead one, am I looking at??? In terms of combat prowess, it's a weaker Death Lord but has a Divine aura. Surely, we are not going to fight any of them during the Final showdown against the Golden Guard, heh heh right, master of Arkain???... Right?...

Lenard: Oh, you better believe that @Shar Dundred is going to make Vanguards trainable for Vandurces already Holy Arsenal.

Zergy: Ugh... Great more threats to deal with...

The old lore is gone and now new lore is added to fill in the gaps. Adding the Children of Van Durce was new to me and I'm surprised to find that out when the mission has loaded in. Then you got the deleted scene between Thanok and Cliar Greendale, it's not there anymore. This leaves a question to any of the new members of Arkain.

Lenard: How the Fuck Black Dragons came here?

Zergy: Thank you, Lenard. Now, shut up and let me think!

This was the same with Van Durce and Genethas. The punishment was satisfying although brutal... To think Gardon was Brutal??

Then you the kids again talking about their cousin's betrayal... Sad to realize that your blood has betrayed you, huh? Just wait till you find out that your own father was the man who betrayed Gardon in the first place...

Lenard: Their Deaths... Are inevitable, Zergy.

Zergy: I know... I can sense their kind-hearted spirits within them, even under that arrogant flesh, and Armor... Largoth has a lot to pay once everything is revealed...

Lastly, Are you going to show us the Pigmen in a true story Exclusive story already by the next post or what?? Cause I'm starving here!

Level 16
Oh, btw Rasi Grandmaster is here to record what transpired as I disguised myself as paladin to test new disguise & mastery over light magic and even partake in shedding some demon blood:
-The turtle strategy shall work best as you need to collect lumber and commence those horrid machines to play their role. You also need to conscript all seven demonlords... to abominations of light instead of christening them to mighty deathlords. O' I shouldn't be twin-visaged... for I wielded light magic, but the sensation was discomfiting and wished to shed my disguise as soon as I retired to my private chambers. Their stomp can be spammed and devotion aura came in handy. Yet perhaps "holy smite" should flesh them out more as they have no active spell. Oh... btw
I wished these winged studs to stomp/pound me :ogre_hurrhurr:. O' wait I got naughty... silly me😈
. The black dragons were tough as they can nuke out your entire defenses. The blest be emerald dragons to be matching terror in the sky... and to Marin who perhaps used telepathic technology to enlist 'em. The underhanded tactics are justified as long as it serves greater good. It took an hour or two but definitely winnable in Hard. The outposts assist you well and will stave off pathetic assaults from royal army. Paladin bonus and having 9 paladins along with holy golem, son's holy light, & Praxeus will ensure 0 casualties. Along with 3 angelics, 7 vanguards, swamp dragons and destructor reinforcements, nothing should stop you. Just don't forget to spam holy light & stun doomguards with pride of humanity. The key is snipe down demon gates and the demon slaves will be a sitting duck (with lil bit of hit-and-run element). What can they do when their benefactors forsake 'em? And with revelation about vanguards... I wonder if angelified demons will be a thing just as undead demons are a thing. Imagine angelified felguards, angelified felhounds, angelified pitlords, angelified infernal (pretty much trainable holy golem), angelified netherdrakes (light dragons hype xD), angelified succubus, angelified voidwalkers (lightwalkers?), angelified mariliths even angelified dreadlords etc... I imagine their respective names to be crusaders, light seekers, consecrated lords (??? what better name for pitlord...), holy golems, holy drakes, battle nuns/maidens, lightwalker, abbesses and holy lord (couldn't find proper name xD). Perhaps Golden Guard enlisting those could make his forces swell and he would stand better chance xD. Genethas was truly a punching bag and perhaps he could've made deal with Aridon instead? That would be HUGE What-if and how the story would've went...
-So, the grim fate betides for scion of Van Durce. Just as Salrian child nobility was plot-device to shew grim resolve of Bonelords, so I prophesize Fiona Van Durce being certain casualty of war to come. I see leading son of Van Durce also being another casualty. Valerie Van Durce, I cannot divine much but she would have interesting role to play should she survive one by another. O' Golden Guard... you have been influenced by Demons at the very start! The suspicion of Watcher has been true. Clearly, angelics now risen as valkyries under the wings of Watcher revealed the truth behind such masquerade of light when its origins clearly lied with dead god and soon mastered by demons. Truly, the light is blind to not see darkness garland'd with masque of light... or evil still has its origins in light? It matters not, for Nysara of Souleater Legion played an interesting part and 'tis master's interest to see at least portion of Golden Guard to survive. Perhaps, can she be turned to Ironfist for she has spots for Gardon??? Yet Lord Bhaazirel can also have another disciple or even shadow from the flock... Or perhaps surviving Van Durce dies in flight to Rodan? Possibilities are endless. Well-packed, team!

Last edited:
Level 12
Ok my feedback on mission difficulty on normal. Its a bit hard to crack the shell but once you do its downhill.
I managed to do it without any destructors even if its probably easier.
Push right after defeating Genethas wave, not when allies attack.
The melee line will be clogged, they have rain of fire and you have holy light so spam it and armor buff, dispell sleep, faerie fire and silence. Move siege tanks out of rain of fire and focus towers.
Keep your dragons up with holy light and keep a few crossbows with them, send both back for black dragons.
Dont be afraid to retreat if you have to, destroying the entrance will allow both you and your allies to hit harder.
Hitting the north demon gate also helps since demons cant rebuild, south is waste of time as you can finish mission.
Should probably have read and used the advise on angelics and focused more on paladins for more heals.

Level 26
Let's just hope that they don't get stabbed in the back... not that they don't deserve it.
The emperor betrayed them, it's not a knife to its backs, or what? The prestige what they have are lost, the honor and respect was taken under blink of an eye. By the emperor's eye to be more precise.
There were also a Dune Worm called Imperator outside of the map, but I don't know what it is a reference to.
Imperator - Dune Worm Reference to something (LoA-TTS).png

Maybe if somebody do something with it or give something to it, it can make wishes come true or something.
The Royal Army is kinda pathetic. Edward and Richard aren't even in their base half of the time, but they still couldn't break through the Holy Battalion's line. I decided to gift them a few Cannon Towers to make sure that they look even more pathetic than they already are.
You gave them too much attention. I don't even bothered the fact, the Royal Army attacking them. They survived, and it's good (I guess).
An interesting thought process that somehow makes sense. And I love his aggressive speeches to Genethas. I rate it a Redfist/10.
The Final moments of Genethas was sure hell of an iconic end of a character.

Level 20
Now that's a heavy chapter if I've ever seen one !

Gameplay :
  • This used to be one of the most challenging levels of the SHB (I only beat the original map by cheesing the demon gates with airships). The new version is a bit on the easy side but I managed to keep all dragons and vanguard alive plus I went for airships so I suppose that's to be expected (Can't wait to regret my choice ^^).
  • The gameplay is quite enjoyable. I expected at least one of the flanks to fall at some point but no. It seems the golden guard's reputation was not exaggerated.
  • The addition of Flavius is very appreciated. With holy light, veterancy and full passives, he's a great healer for the army (one of the original mission's main difficulty was that your army would slowly fall appart as your paladins would run out of mana since you had no other source of healing)
  • Overall, the chapter seems like a prelude showing you how much you will struggle when facing the golden guard and I'm all for it. I'd say it's the first level of Arkain where the golden guard actually appears as powerfull as their reputation suggests.
Story :
  • I don't know why, but I really like seeing children of characters we know play a role in the same story (I loved all of the heirs of Zainor stories). So seeing 5 children of Van Durce in one chapter was really something ! The whole familial stories were really interesting. I can't tell apart the two mounted ones for now but I'm sure it'll get easier as we see more of them (and as there are less of them, if the ironfist is successfull).
  • This level brought up a lot of questions : once again the question of the angelics and the grail's origin. The question of the swamp dragons (how did marin recruit them, why did the dragon regiment seemingly have no interest in them...).
  • The Van Durce's family also seems to keep some mystery. There are two more Van Durce siblings. The latter, we know, will accompany the crusade on Arkain. The other apparently died, though we don't know how. The Van Durce siblings also seem to be very harsh on kinslayers. Maybe that's a coincidence, maybe not.
  • Van Durce's speech on Genethas' corpse was awesome in the original; it still is in this one !
  • Interesting, here the golden guard banishment is real (in the SHB, it was a ploy of the undead). Still it's interesting that Van Durce would choose it over killing Guardon. A shame they won't ever reconcile.
  • I wonder what will happen of the siblings after the battle. My bet is on one undead, 2 others dead dead, 1 with Marin and the other lost somewhere.

Level 12
Now that's a heavy chapter if I've ever seen one !

Gameplay :
  • This used to be one of the most challenging levels of the SHB (I only beat the original map by cheesing the demon gates with airships). The new version is a bit on the easy side but I managed to keep all dragons and vanguard alive plus I went for airships so I suppose that's to be expected (Can't wait to regret my choice ^^).
The Calm before the Storm.
Will only the levels that are storywise significant be Old Storm Hard?
Will the undead betrayal(which was just a cutscene) be New Storm Hard?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
The Van Durce family is surely numerous... but for how much longer?
Tune in next time to find out! :peasant-wink:

-Surely Van Durce wants to give more "massages" to Genethas with his hammer.
I am sure he loves being punched into a bloody pulp.
Besides, Marin, Praxeus, and Renald don't look much like the writing type anyway.
Marin is into writing - mostly for his experiments though.
Would be a nice touch if his corpse explode right as Renald brings down the last hammer strike.
I knew that special effect wouldn't trigger. Gonna fix that with the next update.
Sending 10K lumber to get Airships + Pride of Humanities is a good deal, but they can fill no time the 120 food limit.
The Destructors cost no food, only the Prides of Humanity do.
I don't even know, when a Zealot converted to be a Templar, where are they spawn?
They don't. You can train them at the Castle for no resources other than food and they have a training time of mere 4 seconds.
-"We have been betrayed" Says the same people that were planning to let an entire continent be killed.
Use your anger....
Is it like brainwashing???
This level brought up a lot of questions : once again the question of the angelics and the grail's origin. The question of the swamp dragons (how did marin recruit them, why did the dragon regiment seemingly have no interest in them...).
That's what Richard would like to know too!
You should team up! :peasant-wink:
What were you thinking???
About "Last Stand of the Golden Guard".
( :
Also there is definitely a reason you cannot train more of them.
rely, we are not going to fight any of them during the Final showdown against the Golden Guard, heh heh right, master of Arkain???... Right?...
( :
Are you going to show us the Pigmen in a true story Exclusive story already by the next post or what??
No.
Yet perhaps "holy smite" should flesh them out more as they have no active spell
I thought about it but you get literally 7 units that can stun multiple units at the same time.
Also didn't want them to overlap too much with either Angelics or Paladins.
I think they're fine.
I wonder if angelified demons will be a thing just as undead demons are a thing. Imagine angelified felguards, angelified felhounds, angelified pitlords, angelified infernal (pretty much trainable holy golem), angelified netherdrakes (light dragons hype xD), angelified succubus, angelified voidwalkers (lightwalkers?), angelified mariliths even angelified dreadlords etc... I imagine their respective names to be crusaders, light seekers, consecrated lords (??? what better name for pitlord...), holy golems, holy drakes, battle nuns/maidens, lightwalker, abbesses and holy lord (couldn't find proper name xD)
I appreciate that you excluded angelified eredar from that list because the day I add Eredar-Draenei or
whatever their lore name is to Arkain is the same day I remove Arkain from the internet.
Also I suppose you could call a certain someone an angelified succubus... Well, not really. :p
  • The gameplay is quite enjoyable. I expected at least one of the flanks to fall at some point but no. It seems the golden guard's reputation was not exaggerated.
  • The addition of Flavius is very appreciated. With holy light, veterancy and full passives, he's a great healer for the army (one of the original mission's main difficulty was that your army would slowly fall appart as your paladins would run out of mana since you had no other source of healing)
  • Overall, the chapter seems like a prelude showing you how much you will struggle when facing the golden guard and I'm all for it. I'd say it's the first level of Arkain where the golden guard actually appears as powerfull as their reputation suggests.
:peasant-cheers-back:
The Van Durce siblings also seem to be very harsh on kinslayers.
It does go to show you how they and their father, despite all their differences, viewed Gardon as a
member of the family.
Van Durce's speech on Genethas' corpse was awesome in the original; it still is in this one !
Nothing like a speech while beeting Genethas to a bloody pulp!

Level 27
So, I just did a run of LoTGG on Easy, but hear me out. I only use Vanguards, Dragons and Towers to defend against Pegasi and Black Dragons.

As for my attack force, I'll let these pics speak for themselves.

WC3ScrnShot_052423_030937_01.png

WC3ScrnShot_052423_041111_04.png

WC3ScrnShot_052423_043001_07.png

WC3ScrnShot_052423_043938_12.png

WC3ScrnShot_052423_044010_13.png

• Yes. I steered the Zealots into a collision course with the Demon Slaves. I'll never sacrifice my mental for a "haha funny Protoss joke" again.
  • During all of this, I can't help but imagine how Edward and Richard would think about his father's flawless strategy, while waiting for them to carry.

I thought about it but you get literally 7 units that can stun multiple units at the same time.
Also didn't want them to overlap too much with either Angelics or Paladins.
I think they're fine.
How about giving them a Rain of Fire/Blizzard similar to a normal Doom Guard, but with Holy Light visual effect instead? I think that would be kinda cool, balancing issues aside.

Also small bug: The Celestial Battalion is handicapped on Easy.