• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NeoDex 2.7 Wc3 Modeling Kit for 3dsmax & GMAX

First, make a backup. Second, run the tool and add your bonechains in (I suggest you do an snap for each chain). Afterwards, select the method you want, I suggest the Mixed Method. If you have constrained bones, turn on "Force Interpolation" to make sure they animate. After all that hit "Snap", now erase the ik solver and play the animation.

Note: some times you may get some weird results, I suggest you to fix them manually or try another method like smart or interpolation.

@Graber fully unistall the toolset and revise the instalation guide, you are doing something wrong.

hmm, try practicing using a normal chain. Also by setting "Erase IK solvers" on and related fields, makes the snapper erase the exact elements.

I also need to advice you that the snapper does not do the IK to FK conversion, it just uses Max's own FK to IK conversion and it tends to be buggy some times.

Other thing: don't use it's optimization option.

Oh and I have noted that most of the times it acts weird on copied bones.

I tried again with the Interpolated Snap and then I got some error message :0

-- Unknown property: "count" in undefined

(line 439)
Code:
	if g[g.count].time > end then end =  g[g.count].time

btw I added you on msn. Might be easier there

EDIT: Would using that other baker script/plugin/whatever be better?

Level 2
Here is some feedback of small inconsistencies we noticed with the Art Tools:
- Both the Art Tools and NeoDex swap the X and Y coordinates, but the Art Tools also negate the Y coordinate. This causes the camera to flip to the other side of the model.
You can easily fix this on line 2792 of NeoDexExporter.ms, by replacing cam.pos.y with (-cam.pos.y).
- Camera FoV is exported in radians by the Art Tools, Neodex uses degrees. You can replace cam.fov with (degToRad cam.fov) on line 2798 of NeoDexExporter.ms.
- Neodex misspells NoDepthTest and NoDepthSet as NoDephTest and NoDephSet. It's easily fixable on an output level, line 2333 and 2334 of NeoDexExporter.ms, but it could use some internal cleanup, which requires a change in the material plugin.
- CollisionShape has two curly brackets facing the wrong way when closing the node. Can be changed on line 2751 of NeoDexExporter.ms by replacing "\t{\n{\n" with "\t}\n}\n"

Some suggestions:
- Not all models use TGA textures. There are many converters using other formats to get to BLP. Since we prefer png, we set the texture name replacement to accept any length 3 extension and replace it with BLP, since only BLP will work ingame anyways.
- If nothing is selected, the user probably wants to export everything, not nothing. For this, we added the line
if sel.count == 0 then sel = objects
after line 2782.

For our project, using Biped animation seemed like the easiest way to handle a lot of animation (including IK), so we decided to add support for Biped bones. If anyone is interested, I can post our modified code here.

Also, could you explain what settings you need to use for creating a Hero Glow or Team color texture? For instance as part of a Composite material.

Great tool by the way. It's nice to be able to see what you are doing with animation. Excellent work!

Last edited:
Level 4
I imported the Warcraft III priest into 3dsMAX 2011 and tried to export it as an mdl using NeoDex, but the animations box was empty. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Level 2
Hi, im new to Neodex and would like to know if you could help me with a little problem i encountered. I have a scene in witch i have an idle animation (stand), everything seems fine, im adding my tracks (in the dope sheet) and then, at the moment i open neodex, i receive this error message " -- No ""+"" function for undefined " and i can't see any animation name in the animation window (from neodex).

Could you please point me where i did something wrong?

PS: there's the image

neodexerror01.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Level 12
When you press neodex - export model. Don't it normaly comes up something else than just a box under animations? How can I write in a animation there? Does it make a difference if I have 3ds max 2010 64-bit instead 32-bit?

Level 2
i found solution to my problem... i was simply making errors in my track notes (for the animation). i entered ¨ instead of "

hope it can be of any use to someone.

Level 12
please read the instructions in the first post.

I can't find any instructions in the first post. If you mean "Important READ please:", then you write to complex English for me to understand. I'm not so good in English, and I just want to export meshes with animations. Can you write it in easier English for me to understand with some pictures?

Level 4
Greetings,
I need some help.

I selected my model, went to the NeoDex Tab in 3ds MAX and clicked Export MDL, then hit export, and an error popped up: -- Runtime error: Exceeded the vertex count:Skin:Skin. That happened when I selected the model's geometry only. It had been skinned using your vertices selection method, however I did proceed to add a Edit Mesh modifier after skinning, which may be the cause of my difficulties.

Selecting bones along with the mesh produced another error, while selecting the grid Bone_Root produced yet another error...

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

Level 4
Any solution to this problem???

I can't help you with that problem, Aslit... I recommend you do away with bones and animations for the time being - if your model has such. Export the mesh as .obj, then import it into milkshape, and do your animating there. The .mdx exporter for milkshape appears to work fine for animations. The only drawback is the time it takes to make them look good, because milkshape doesn't automatically make them move and sway the same way 3ds does. In milkshape you will also need to reapply your textures, which I find to be much easier than in 3ds max...

Level 2
With permission from Blinkboy, here is a modification of the main NeoDexExporter script for 3dsMax, including some fixes and full support for the Biped bone system. To use it, replace the original NeoDexExporter.ms in your max plugins folder with the one included in this archive.

A list of modifications so far:
-Select nothing -> Export all
-Added support for Biped bone system
-Fixed the material id's, duplicate materials are now set properly
-Any texture format is now allowed, extensions of length 3 are replaced by .blp and texture filenames are preceded by war3mapImported\
-General "fix" for scaling transformations: support removed, do not use scaling keys!
-Fixed some output typos and y coordinate output for cameras (for portraits for instance)
-Fixed addition of textures with replaceable id's and no set texture. Hero glow can now be used.

Biped works exactly as regular bones do. Please see BlinkBoy's animation tutorial.

If you do not want the war3mapImported\ before each texture filename, just search the file for '"war3mapImported\\" + ' and remove that part so the line reads 's = h[h.count]' instead.

The script works fine for 3dsMax 2010 64-bit btw.

Attachments

• NeoDex vI.0.rar
    21.1 KB · Views: 73
Level 18
Had some problems with the materials on exporting. Mostly he used 1 Texture for the whole model and the second texture for just one right area, although I used it for 2-3 parts.

Now it works with Ignifex' update! Thanks man!

But now it adds the "wc3imported" part behind the Path and the .blp file.
Like you enter the Path as "Textures\" and are using "HeroBladeMaster.blp" then you'll get "Textures\wc3imported\HeroBladeMaster.blp" as path. You have to change this manually, but that's just a minor thing. But it works now for me!

*EDIT*
I'm having another error now.. I've done two Stand Animations so far, and wanted to test it in Wc3. But when I try to export it, he gives
me that "exceed vertices used -> skin:skin" error, something like this (mentioned some posts before). I'm using 3dsmax 2010 64-bit

Last edited:
Level 3
Should this be happening if I use the last NeoDex in 3ds max 8 to export model?
neodexbug.png

I wouldn't use freaking neodex if 3ds max 5 didn't export only 5 out of 10 animations from the same model... Ectually it did export them, model preview tools tell the same, but warcraft's not able to run all of them...

Edit: Ok, I forgot to put " before and after animation names in note track so I don't have any errors during export anymore, but not even a single animation works anymore.

Last edited:
Level 1
Not quite compatible.

I'm having some issues getting the plugin to work. I'm using 3ds max 2012 though, so that is probably the issue. Basically, I keep getting a "Unknown System Exception" error.

I've tested the problem extensively, and I found that the error occurs in all (as far as I can tell) cases (mesh with/without animations, and with/without bones). There was no way to get the file to export successfully, unless I didn't select any object when exporting (basically an empty file).

I guess it's not a big deal since most people probably aren't using 2012 (except me), but I just wanted to let you know since the plugin claims to work for all versions of max.

Then again, maybe I overlooked some small detail and I'm not using the plugin correctly. Although, I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions to the letter.

I'm having some issues getting the plugin to work. I'm using 3ds max 2012 though, so that is probably the issue. Basically, I keep getting a "Unknown System Exception" error.

I've tested the problem extensively, and I found that the error occurs in all (as far as I can tell) cases (mesh with/without animations, and with/without bones). There was no way to get the file to export successfully, unless I didn't select any object when exporting (basically an empty file).

I guess it's not a big deal since most people probably aren't using 2012 (except me), but I just wanted to let you know since the plugin claims to work for all versions of max.

Then again, maybe I overlooked some small detail and I'm not using the plugin correctly. Although, I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions to the letter.

i think the plugin stopped working with max 2011. Sadly i haven't time for fixing it, nor i have a recent copy of 3dsmax 2011 or 2012.

Level 39
I have a problem when exporting an animated model. It looks extremely messed up when exported, but looks fine in 3DS Max.

Here is how it looks in Max:
attachment.php

And this is how it looks like when I export it:
attachment.php

Weird thing is, I just animated the body for this model yesterday, and the export worked perfectly. Why is this so messed up? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• max.jpg
    max.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 499
  • viewer.jpg
    viewer.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 512
Level 18
Hmm strange.. I've installed NeoDex Exporter on a 3dsmax 2012 english version (64bit) and everything works well..

Now, at home I'm trying to get NeoDex to work, but it doesn't work correct.. it always shows the same error message whenever i try to expot a model (converted to mesh). an editable poly can be exported without errors, but the .mdl file is nearly empty and I doubt this will work. So what's up with this? 3dsmax should be the same except my home version is in german, but this shouldn't be the readon for an error, or?

The Error message means: Unknown Systemexception
(oh and it marks this line: local found = ArrayFindItem ....)

Attachments

• neodex error.JPG
    neodex error.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 150