• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NeoDex 2.7 Wc3 Modeling Kit for 3dsmax & GMAX

But... how do you explain that the kid.max you provided doesn't work either ?

T.

Man, I see a lie here.

you said: 'even with MAX 9 even the kid does not export correctly'

May I know, How the did you open the kid's scene if the scene had been saved with MAX 2008!?

Last edited:
Level 3
Hey there Blink. I dl your kit, Does the VA Converter menu suppose to show at start-up of Gmax? keep showing at start-up man.

Level 3
Problem solved. I double check it. Didn't notice the difference of the filename of the other file .75 version VA Converter. No more showing at startup. :grin:

Last edited:
Level 4
Oh! ok found it, i didnt know you meant a new tab at the top :( sorry thanks for your help though!

Ok new problem, i printed to listener ok but when i went to grab it with grabber you provided it said there was an error and closed grabber

Level 4
Ok sorry for double post, Gmax has this bug where you can only select like 70 bars at a time so is that what i need to do? Manually CnP 70 or so at a time?

I've found one problem with this exporter. I wanted to make a diamond shaped gem mesh that does not have smoothed edges like in this rendered 3DS preview.

attachment.php

But when I export the model to MDL, the edges of the gem are automatically smoothed, like in this picture.

attachment.php

I tried removing all smoothing groups, and I also tried giving each polygon it's own smoothing group, but no success.

Is that intentional or is it a bug? Because I really want to give that gem mesh that diamond-esque shading.

Attachments

• issue01.jpg
    issue01.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 597
  • issue02.jpg
    issue02.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
Level 1
I don't know what happened.. I followed instructions but I can't seem to export files into 3ds.. TT)

Level 26
Right, so I figured I'd finally give this a test run. My 3ds max 2009 has no problem opening the script, but when I click on run script it doesn't appear in the folder :/

EDIT: Okay, that was amazingly stupid. Turns out the Program Files folder and the Program Files (x86) are different. Oh dear -_-''

EDIT 2: Perfect. Blinkboy, I love you.

Last edited:
Level 9
I know this is really a newby question to be asking but o well...

Im getting an error report when trying to export just a simple box. (tryed converting to editable mess aswell)

All i did was start a new scene and put down a box.

Im guessing i need atleast a stand animation? Or perhaps i need to restart the program after installing NeoDex...

Using Max 9.

Attachments

• NeoDex export problem.png
    NeoDex export problem.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 173
Level 8
Hi, so well it seems like NeoDex adds his own step-marks in all 3 channels, even when i have only set rotation or only position changed.
It know no mercy and adds every where all 3 channels,
but this wouldnt bother me beside the fact, that a simple stand animation, when added marks messes up, and the model keeps impulsing.
I set the interpolation to Linear, via going to Anim> Curve Editor and picking
picking all up and change. But it still apears like there is a big party inside every model.

My solution for the stand-only models was simply removing ALL (even bones)
stuff and just let the model alone, set steps-time-bar to from 0 to 1 and adding
notes only to those 0 and 1 step. After this it worked for the simple models.

If you want i can recreate 2 models to show the chaos.

greets Equal

ps: yeah this is a "help me PLC emergency call"!

Level 17
Ok, Ive decided to start making models for wc3
gave NeoDex a try and encountered no problems except one.

»made this circular "something" UVW mapped some random polygons
now the issue, while seeming to perfectly fit in the MAX viewport when exported the UVW map becomes "squeezed" and part of the texture becomes transparent.

check »» http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k360/Talavaj/PicError1.jpg

after Ive adjusted the UVW and dragged it a little further it turned out fine in Magos

check »» http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k360/Talavaj/PiceError2.jpg
what am I doing wrong ? or is it supposed to work like this ? am I supposed to not rely on the MAX viewport ? any suggestions ?

p.s. My bad in case this issue was discussed already somewhere, was in rush and didnt bother with searching.

Ok, Ive decided to start making models for wc3
gave NeoDex a try and encountered no problems except one.

»made this circular "something" UVW mapped some random polygons
now the issue, while seeming to perfectly fit in the MAX viewport when exported the UVW map becomes "squeezed" and part of the texture becomes transparent.

check »» http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k360/Talavaj/PicError1.jpg

after Ive adjusted the UVW and dragged it a little further it turned out fine in Magos

check »» http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k360/Talavaj/PiceError2.jpg
what am I doing wrong ? or is it supposed to work like this ? am I supposed to not rely on the MAX viewport ? any suggestions ?

p.s. My bad in case this issue was discussed already somewhere, was in rush and didnt bother with searching.
Why that many modifiers? You need only 1 modifier of each type for a whole mesh...

Level 3
Has anybody successfully exported from Gmax model with simple animation? I use NeoDex 0,78 for Gmax.

Steps I did:
1. created bone, named it Bone_Root
2. created box, converted it to editable mesh
3. attached mesh to bone_Root
4. Started to animate, frame 0 key with Position (TCB) and Rotation (TCB)
5. jumped to frame 10, copied frame 0
6. jumped to frame 30, used Rotation (TCB), I guess below 90 degrees (by eye)
7. copied frame 0 to frame 40
8. exited animation and played it, worked well
9. started NeoDex Export MDL, no errors

Now comes important things, I forgot to add Note Track.

10. Added in Track View under Object new Note Track
11. Made 2 keys, first at frame 10 named "Stand" and second at frame 40 "Stand"

Now when I tried to start NeoDex Export MDL I got this error:

MAXScript MacroScript Error Exception
-- Type error: Call needs function or class, got: undefined
Code:
if stricmp c "Nonlooping" == 0 then NoLOOP = true
When I removed Note Track (these two "Stand" keys) and NeoDex Export MDL loaded without errors.

I do not want to pirate 3000$ software to model boxes, Gmax is quite powerful too, share your knowledge and help me out here, please?

Last edited:
Level 8
Hey is single vertex animating possible with this, because i have done a tower with
4 animations, but all are based on non-bone Vertex movings.
The animations are shown in the 3ds max 10 but when i use exporter just the model
is exported , the notes are saved but no animations does exist rly....

pls help, is there a way to do it without bones?

Level 3
Bones are required, Blinkboy's animation tutorial uses bones (why he teaches to use them when it is optional?), Warcraft 3 expects itself bones for models. Even with this weight table approach you add vertices to bones. In thread first post Blinkboy explains what is considered bone -- anything that starts with name "bone_" (without "" and maybe "_" is optional too).

@Sooda's 1 post: You are using 3dsmax's version, get GMAX's.

@bboy-tiger's 1 post: hmm, maybe it has to do with updates in 3dsmax 2010. The best you could do is export geometry as .3ds and reimport it, then reskinn it, but not modify it.

@Sooda's 2 post: Bones aren't really a requirement (you may use boxes or helpers or anything). However, I use them because I actually animate with IK systems.

@Equal's 1 post: You can use the VA converter to transform vertex animations into Skeletical Animation. However, I would suggest only using it for clothing(capes), fluids or similar objects.

@bboy-tiger's 2 post: Extremely weird, avoid it for the time being and add attachments using War3's model editor.

In other news: for the time being, I don't plan on updating NeoDex. I may actually abandon it and produce plugins directly.