• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NeoDex 2.7 Wc3 Modeling Kit for 3dsmax & GMAX

Level 3
@ BlinkBoy
I re-downloaded Gmax build and still get same error:
-- Type error: Call needs function or class, got: undefined
I followed install instructions, over-wrote all files in proper Gmax folder places (I suspect I had already Gmax build -- all file sizes and names matched).
Maybe Gmax file with simple sphere moving up and down to prove it works? I have not had luck to get it working myself so far. Had not time to reply before, thanks for reading my post BlinkBoy and answering it before.

Level 1
Hello, I´ve instaled the NeoDex and I´ve followed all the steps, but when I want to export the model, in the animation list, my animations don´t appear, I´m using 3dmax 2009, maybe the plugin doesn´t work with this version, some one can help me?

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 325
Hello, I´ve instaled the NeoDex and I´ve followed all the steps, but when I want to export the model, in the animation list, my animations don´t appear, I´m using 3dmax 2009, maybe the plugin doesn´t work with this version, some one can help me?

you should add the note track to Objects, not to the bone.

Level 1
Thanks, that worked, but I have another problem, not with the plugin, but maybe you know how to fix it. When I export the mdl, I used the MdlxConv to make it an mdx, but when I tryed to open it with MdlVis, appears an error message: the model doesn´t contain geosets. And the War3 Model Editor can´t open it too. Do you know how can I fix this?

Level 7
it don't works for me...i made my model in 3ds max 8 and when i try to export it, it exports a 0KB mdl file...

// 'NeoDeX Version: 0.78
Version {
FormatVersion 800,
}
Model "" {
BlendTime 150,
}
Textures 1 {
Bitmap {
Image "",
ReplaceableId 1,
}
}

Level 3
hmm, post an screenshot of the error. the error may be the same, but it may be on a different code line.

I made two screen-shots and upload my test Gmax file. I had to rar gmax file because only max files allowed. All files are as attachment, if someone can point out my mistakes then it would be good.

Attachments

• Gmax-Neo-Dex-Error.jpg
    Gmax-Neo-Dex-Error.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Gmax-Neo-Dex-Script-Error.jpg
    Gmax-Neo-Dex-Script-Error.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 304
  • Neu-Test-1.rar
    10 KB · Views: 47
Level 3
definetly you are using the 3dsmax version of my script. Those 3 lines are the difference between the gmax version and the 3dsmax version.

Do this: uninstall NeoDex, and reinstal using the gmax version, that way you'll make sure it works.

Hello... I am having the same problem yet I have downloaded (and downloaded again) the gmax version of the script (for use with gmax 1.2). Perhaps you have the wrong version of the script in the gmax rar file?

Level 3
There is no "un-install" button so I just deleted files from Gmax main folder, when I run Gmax empty NeoDex dropdown menu stayed there. To be really sure I un-installed Gmax and deleted Gmax folder. Downloaded from this link:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/modeling-animation-276/61543d1248617201-neodex-78b-mdl-kit-3dsmax-6-2010-gmax-neodex-.78b-gmax.rar exporter. Installed again Gmax, added files from that exporter and still same error. Install instructions tell "put this and that to Gmax folder", it should be Gmax build which I am downloading. Still I get same error.
Is in that link Gmax files? Or there are Max files with Gmax installing instructions? I have Gmax 1.2, Win XP SP 3. How else can I get Max files with Gmax build? Oddly there have not been any other reply from other ~280 Gmax build downloaders.
EDIT:
Adding to NeoDex dropdown menu 'About NeoDex' where you could verify you got Gmax version build would be handy to prevent such problems like I have in future.

Level 1
hey there
first of all. good stuff mate. this exporter your created/upgrade really helped me alot when i was trying to convert my models to mdl files, but i ran into some problems.

I am trying to export this go-kart i made quite a while back. I animated it with vertex animation. moving objects around, rotating object and some vertex animation. when i was done i tryed to export but i got this error message

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/thedarkhell/exportproblems.jpg

to give you an idea of how i worked ill go step by step

this is the animation
kart4.gif

first i created notes in the drop sheet "stand-1" and "walk-1" but at the end and front of their animation duration. then i first started moving objects around and rotating them. after that i did some vertex moving and scaling on the exhausts pipes. and then i grouped everything besides the wheels and started moving it in every frame to get the shake like effect.

you might noticed the model is pretty high ress, but that because I don't really make custom models for warcraft, but i make custom models for the WoW model edit scene. A while back someone wrote a converter that was able to convert mdl and mdx files into working m2/skin files which are used by wow. So because of that i also gotten into working with mdl files. the files your converter preduced of my models without animation where the first that actaully where usefull to the the m2 converter i have.

but yah is there something i am missing or things i did wrong. i also tryed using the vertex animation converter tool, but that just bugs out my 3ds max after the error "argument count error: genclassid wanted 0, got 3"

anyways i hope you can give some insights because i realy want to get this kart into wow as a custom build mount :)

thanks in advance
goshu

ps. i use 3ds max btw

Last edited:
There is no "un-install" button so I just deleted files from Gmax main folder, when I run Gmax empty NeoDex dropdown menu stayed there. To be really sure I un-installed Gmax and deleted Gmax folder. Downloaded from this link:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/modeling-animation-276/61543d1248617201-neodex-78b-mdl-kit-3dsmax-6-2010-gmax-neodex-.78b-gmax.rar exporter. Installed again Gmax, added files from that exporter and still same error. Install instructions tell "put this and that to Gmax folder", it should be Gmax build which I am downloading. Still I get same error.
Is in that link Gmax files? Or there are Max files with Gmax installing instructions? I have Gmax 1.2, Win XP SP 3. How else can I get Max files with Gmax build? Oddly there have not been any other reply from other ~280 Gmax build downloaders.
EDIT:
Adding to NeoDex dropdown menu 'About NeoDex' where you could verify you got Gmax version build would be handy to prevent such problems like I have in future.

i can't believe that there were 280 downloads and only 1 person noticed that the gmax version had an issue. I have fixed the script, please redownload it. Excuse my stubbornness, i'm really sorry that I didn't check before.

Level 3
i can't believe that there were 280 downloads and only 1 person noticed that the gmax version had an issue. I have fixed the script, please redownload it. Excuse my stubbornness, i'm really sorry that I didn't check before.
No worries :grin: You reply fast, faster than I write back, minor inconvenience still -- in first post there is no new Gmax build attached. Glad you are aware of problem and working out solutions, I appreciate it, take your time.

Level 3
Got new error, about "+" sign in a Anim loop. I uninstalled Gmax, reinstalled with new NeoDex fix, I got same "+" sign error when just overwriting old NeoDex files with your new fix. Pics attached.

EDIT:
I use same test file which is attached in this post: link

Attachments

• NeoDex-Error-2.jpg
    NeoDex-Error-2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 168
  • NeoDex-Error-2-Full.jpg
    NeoDex-Error-2-Full.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 123
Level 3
My mistake, I did not wrap animation name between "". When I named Stand to "Stand" export went fine.
At first try my stand anim did not played in game, I swapped Footman model file with my custom -- rectangle which rotates 90 degrees and then goes back to start. It is from frame 0 to 40.
I try to follow Art Tools documentation when doing primitive animation. Maybe I have to change vanilla Gmax anim things back to TCB (though I saved my file with TCB thingies in place). I have read your anim tut too (it is so big and good, takes ages to load for my connection :)
I get at weekend more time to tinker, in week too much to do. So if I reply with my progress then mostly at next week start.

Level 1
hey blinky. A while back i posted that a problem with neodex, but it seemed it was a fault on my part. Was working in max 5 due to Arttools. As soon as i took a newer version of max it worked :).

but i ran into a new problem. So i redid all the animations using bones because it didnt export my scale/move animations without bones. But now that i did use bones it seems the exporter deforms everything. i use alot of scale animations and when exported it doesnt scale in the right way at all .. or it scales things i didn't even scale at all.

do you have any idea whats up ?

hey blinky. A while back i posted that a problem with neodex, but it seemed it was a fault on my part. Was working in max 5 due to Arttools. As soon as i took a newer version of max it worked :).

but i ran into a new problem. So i redid all the animations using bones because it didnt export my scale/move animations without bones. But now that i did use bones it seems the exporter deforms everything. i use alot of scale animations and when exported it doesnt scale in the right way at all .. or it scales things i didn't even scale at all.

do you have any idea whats up ?

yes it has to do with the way wc3 handles scaling. Sadly, I don't know much of how it is done other than it's "non-uniform scaling" or something like that, I'm sure art tools used to give you a warnning when you did scaling animations.

yes it has to do with the way wc3 handles scaling. Sadly, I don't know much of how it is done other than it's "non-uniform scaling" or something like that, I'm sure art tools used to give you a warnning when you did scaling animations.
I'm pretty sure that when you make non-uniform scaling, the bone's starting rotation should be 0, 0, 0 and it will work fine.

Level 10
alright so, when i export my model, it says export successful! so i go to open my model.. and the animations are.. well.. REALLY messed up, the mesh is going EVERYWHERE, I was actually following your tutorial to refresh myself on how to do the animations, and like.. i just have no idea why it didnt work! i followed everything to the dot, any ideas?

alright so, when i export my model, it says export successful! so i go to open my model.. and the animations are.. well.. REALLY messed up, the mesh is going EVERYWHERE, I was actually following your tutorial to refresh myself on how to do the animations, and like.. i just have no idea why it didnt work! i followed everything to the dot, any ideas?

open it with magos editor and resave it. It's a bug I haven't fixed.

Level 11
Ive imported a villager model in 3ds max 6 but i couldnt see any bones, animations and texture.

1.Can u import a model in 3ds max 6 so u can see the bones, animation and texture?

2.How do u set a skin to a model in 3ds max 6 so it works on warcraft3?
The imported model when i open it in Magos ME in opens with no errors but u cant see anything.

3. The 3ds scene file from BlinkBoys tutorial didnt worked at me the boxing villager file.

Level 1
I'm new at this, and I seem to have made some mistakes, because it gives me the following error when I export as.mdx:

-- runtime error: cannot get mesh from this object: Dummy

I've never ever made an object called Dummy, so I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this? again, I'm new at modeling so please have a bit of patience with me :)

remember to only have rotation keys on all your bones! and rotation and position on your root:) or else the animations look.. a little strange

that's unnecessary. You can have any transformations on them, you just need to remember setting the correct controllers.

Pyritie said:
How good is this thing at supporting IK? I'm using the HI solver thing at the moment (just looked at some 3ds max tutorials and they used that one, so...)

well neodex importer does not directly support IK. You must convert the IK to FK using 3dsmaxy's converter or using the NeoDex IK Snapper. (The IK Snapper uses a high level technique to convert the IK, so it may cause problems, but it will produce the most accurate results).

Level 7
So currently the importer for Bone Rotations are still kind of shake-y? Also how exactly do I specify the texture pathings using those native in warcraft 3? Or will I have to keep exporting them with the wc3 model viewer and then export then convert and then change the pathing to those in 3ds max?

Also is there some kind of full manual I could find for NeoDex? Most of the tutorials are mostly revolved around the freeware modeling programs..

So currently the importer for Bone Rotations are still kind of shake-y? Also how exactly do I specify the texture pathings using those native in warcraft 3? Or will I have to keep exporting them with the wc3 model viewer and then export then convert and then change the pathing to those in 3ds max?

Also is there some kind of full manual I could find for NeoDex? Most of the tutorials are mostly revolved around the freeware modeling programs..

1º this isn't an importer, nothing to do with rotations being shaky.

2º the path is set inside the warcraft 3 material 'Path' field.

3º there's no manual. Just read the first post, it explains a bit where's everything.

Level 7
Its pretty confusing to merge from freeware tools to a professional licensed 3d program. I mean Ive been using 3ds max with other games and even for personal show casing, but trying to adapt the already existing tutorials to NeoDex is rather complicated and confusing. Ive tried to scratch model for warcraft 3 but no success, even with the neodex script, as I have had problems with it for the past several months now.

I have yet to perfectly import animations EVEN on 3ds max 4.2 with Importer/Exporter 2.0 and Warcraft Tools 1.0 Even if I do successfuly import models and their animations using 3Ds Max 4.2 could I save that as a .3ds or .max file then import that successfuly with the model and animation into 3ds max 6+?

Level 25
Its pretty confusing to merge from freeware tools to a professional licensed 3d program. I mean Ive been using 3ds max with other games and even for personal show casing, but trying to adapt the already existing tutorials to NeoDex is rather complicated and confusing. Ive tried to scratch model for warcraft 3 but no success, even with the neodex script, as I have had problems with it for the past several months now.

I have yet to perfectly import animations EVEN on 3ds max 4.2 with Importer/Exporter 2.0 and Warcraft Tools 1.0 Even if I do successfuly import models and their animations using 3Ds Max 4.2 could I save that as a .3ds or .max file then import that successfuly with the model and animation into 3ds max 6+?

Just keep trying : )

Yes, you can import older versions of max file to new ones (with animations and everything). But WHY??? When you already have everything on 4.2??????

Level 7
because it's sooooo ooooold x__x

Enough said. Im a 3d Model artist from many various games and personally 4.2 is the only one I use for warcraft 3 and is just an extra copy of max that has been getting in the way.

Also when I import models native to warcraft, the ones that come with the game, I cannot properly import their animations! The animations show the proper x,y,z translations but the "Bone Rotations" are off, Im using the Importer and Exporter 2.0 script as well as Blizzard Art Tools and lately, I havent had much success..

Ive just been working with the limited Magos Model Editor and I would love to get the animations properly imported.

Also when I import the models the textures arent applied, how would I direct the textures within the MPQ so I wouldnt necessarily have to "extract" it but more so, direct it to the appropriate texture path?

Level 11
I reinstaled 3ds max and now i get that error is in attacements when i try to run the script, ive extracted the files like it says in the readme, when i first instaled it i had no errors but now...

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 121