• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NeoDex 2.7 Wc3 Modeling Kit for 3dsmax & GMAX

Level 18
Nobody got an answer for this? :/

It sucks to export models to another program or take the files with me to school to export them there into .mdl files everytime I want to create a new model.

I'm now using a english version, re-installed everything, but still I get the same error.
Also tried copying the files from the 3dsmax version at school into my version at home, same error.

Level 3
Hey guys, anyone knows why this animation has been spoiled like this after exporting to WC3? It looks like script added some scale animations or something. This way hand looks like it's breathing. I mean I did want it look alive, but it doesn't need to breathe itselves. :D Someone give me some advice please. I bet there were other people who had similar problem with this script, because I had similar problem with some other model too.

Rendered by 3ds max 8:
hand3dsm.gif

Preview in editor:
handWEpreview.gif

Level 3
Didn't use any scale during recording animations with keys, however I did use uniform scale while I was placing bones inside of the mesh before I ran "Skin" command. Had to do it because bones weren't long enough after i placed them inside of front view and rotated in the other view. Do you think it has caused those "breathing" animations? However, Assign controller contains no scale animations. Thanks for quick reply.

Edit:
Alright, I've found what caused those animation problems. Forgot to change controllers for scale from float to TCB, because I didn't use them, so WC3 has generated some random scale animations...

Last edited:
Damn I read my old posts and feel like an ass. Sorry if they were mean.

Anyways, I decided to work a bit more on fixing the tool. I was thinking on fixing some of these bugs:
  • Hierarchy problems when exporting the model. Normaly happens if you have helpers. This is fast fixed by loading and resaving the the model with Mago's model editor.
  • Visiblity animations with ON/OFF controllers don't work always as intended.
  • Visibility is not inhereted. (Intended)
  • Bones with weigths 0 are taken into account, they should be ignored. (Probably adding an acceptance thresshold)
  • Euler Controllers should be ignored.

If you got any bug that you are certain, please notify me (post here please).

Fixing these bugs means rewritting a big part of the script which belonged to original Dex. Therefore, it will mean rewritting the core.

I'm also thinking on releasing the scripts unprotected, so everyone can edit them and keep them going.

Level 3
Yeah it means something, script failed to export any data from your model. Just use some older 3ds max version and make life easier for everyone. Blinky wrote which versions support his script and its no surprise it can't work with the last one... Why do people always think that most recent program verions are the best? It's obviously they release them just to earn more money. There is a lot of software which didn't become better for more than 5 years, but companies kept adding unnecessary things (which make programs just run slower) so they can survive. That's why I still use programs like Nero 6.608, Corel 12, Autocad 2006, 3D Studio max 8 and WINDOWS XP!

It worked! :)

But when i'm done using it it comes up with this:
http://i.imgur.com/cSoyp.jpg

Does it mean anything??

Well it just printed a blank MDL file. It could mean a) "You didn't select the model before exporting it", 2) "your meshes aren't 'Editable Mesh'". Therefore, it does not capture any information from your scene. I suggest that you need the README part of the first post. It says some important specs.

If you want to test if it works well download the model in my animation tutorial (the max file) and try exporting it.

Yeah it means something, script failed to export any data from your model. Just use some older 3ds max version and make life easier for everyone. Blinky wrote which versions support his script and its no surprise it can't work with the last one... Why do people always think that most recent program verions are the best? It's obviously they release them just to earn more money. There is a lot of software which didn't become better for more than 5 years, but companies kept adding unnecessary things (which make programs just run slower) so they can survive. That's why I still use programs like Nero 6.608, Corel 12, Autocad 2006, 3D Studio max 8 and WINDOWS XP!

The fact that I don't support newer versions, it does not mean the script won't run in them. It's just that i can't give anyone a warranty that it will.

I do not to export from gmax and link for grab doesn't work(eror 404) any help pls. When I enter print to listener it's written export successful but where is then any help.

sadly gmax does not allow you to export directly. The only way to export from it is through print to listener. You have to copy paste all that it prints there into a text editor and save it to a .mdl file.

sadly gmax does not allow you to export directly. The only way to export from it is through print to listener. You have to copy paste all that it prints there into a text editor and save it to a .mdl file.[/QUOTE]I have understand to when I do print to listener i should copy text to notepad and then convert to mdl but Man but when I do '' print to listener '' where I can found that what is printed?

Level 3
Are there some limits for neodex script like maximum number of polygons, bones or keys (not the several ones from dope sheet)? I mean anything that would cause shitty rendering? Not sure but i think whenever I rework any animation by using auto key again, it causes model to be messed up after rendering...

Are there some limits for neodex script like maximum number of polygons, bones or keys (not the several ones from dope sheet)? I mean anything that would cause shitty rendering? Not sure but i think whenever I rework any animation by using auto key again, it causes model to be messed up after rendering...

nope, it may have to do with 3dsmax's configuration.

Finaly I have learn how to export xD. I was always notepad convert to .mdx not .mdl, but now I have other problem:

When I draw some big model (i think many part) and when I go print to listener there is just to many things(numbers) and I cannot copy them all in same time, and I need to do all: select many thing-copy-paste and again next 20 times. Can I select all at once

Finaly I have learn how to export xD. I was always notepad convert to .mdx not .mdl, but now I have other problem:

When I draw some big model (i think many part) and when I go print to listener there is just to many things(numbers) and I cannot copy them all in same time, and I need to do all: select many thing-copy-paste and again next 20 times. Can I select all at once

sadly gmax was designed not to export to any data other than it's base data extentions. Because of that we need to use that cheat in order to export the data. There used to be a hack which could steal the memory of the listener and allow you to paste it all instantly anywhere.

I suggest you try getting a free 3dsmax student liscense.

Level 3
nope, it may have to do with 3dsmax's configuration.

Could you export my model with your 3ds max, so I can know if it's due to configurations? It might take your computer 2-3 minutes to export because it's not really low poly (takes 150 kB when converted to mdx). I'm using 3ds max 8, I hope it won't cause any trouble if you're using more recent version...

Edit:
Ok then, I've removed my model since obviously nobody is going to help me. It would be 2 months in 8 days since i placed it here. I've proven that script doesn't work properly, because no one couldn't export it properly in alsmot 2 months...

Last edited:
Could you export my model with your 3ds max, so I can know if it's due to configurations? It might take your computer 2-3 minutes to export because it's not really low poly (takes 150 kB when converted to mdx). I'm using 3ds max 8, I hope it won't cause any trouble if you're using more recent version...

Edit:
Ok then, I've removed my model since obviously nobody is going to help me. It would be 2 months in 8 days since i placed it here. I've proven that script doesn't work properly, because no one couldn't export it properly in alsmot 2 months...

oops missed it. Let's do this, send me your scene by private message and I'll look into what's wrong.

Level 3
Ok, thank you very much. Sorry for my raging, I understand you don't have to help everyone who gets stuck with something because you've wrote awesome tutorials, but I really can't find out what's wrong with my model, so I just need someone who can export it and make sure if my 3ds max installation is messed up.

Ok, thank you very much. Sorry for my raging, I understand you don't have to help everyone who gets stuck with something because you've wrote awesome tutorials, but I really can't find out what's wrong with my model, so I just need someone who can export it and make sure if my 3ds max installation is messed up.

Ok noticed your problem, look into my animation tutorial about the Wc3 Skinning section it shows how skinning is done properly for wc3 (yeah sadly wc3 skinning is 'special').

I'll explain a bit the problem: wc3 skinning only supports uniformal skinning, that means that all vertices affected by a bone must have the equal weight, it's impossible in the wc3 engine to have specific bone weights. For instance, if a vertex needs to follow two bones, it must have both weights at 0.5, not 0.24 and 0.76, that causes issues. It's a limitation within the wc3 engine. This is why your model looks weird while animated; weights represent how much a bone affects a vertex, but since wc3 uses an uniformal form, vertices are affected equaly by all bones they are linked to even if their weight is 0.01.

Please follow that tutorial to learn how to rebalance weights. I've also noticed that your model has a big amount of polies, this makes the process a lot harder to stabilize. In the future avoid using envelopes and try to use only select vertices and apply them to weight table.

EDIT: no problem about raging, it was my fault as i missed your post. I promesed I would keep support atleast.
EDIT2: This post is a copy of my pm to him. I thought it's important to show others the issue and how to fix it.
EDIT3: forgot to mention it, but remove unnecessary position and scale keys. Also, make sure your animations start and end with a key.
EDIT4: Added NeoDex 1.0 by Ignifex, still need to test it.

Last edited:
Level 4
4ş Run 3dsmax, go to utility panel (the one with a hammer) click 'Maxscript', click 'Run Script' and run the script called: "NeoDexInstaller.ms"

5A new toolbar should appear on top. Enjoy.

Thats fragment from the instruction but i dont see any new toolbar can someone do a screen with this or explain where exacly is this thing ???????????

Level 4
so i dont have it i have 3ds max 10 i have that panels where it writes 'right there' but no Neo Dex near Help

Ok the problem was here:

With permission from Blinkboy, here is a modification of the main NeoDexExporter script for 3dsMax, including some fixes and full support for the Biped bone system. To use it, replace the original NeoDexExporter.ms in your max plugins folder with the one included in this archive. - writen by Ignifex
so i deleted the old file called NeoDexInstaller and repleace it just like he sed and thats why i didnt have any new options but now i using old hmmm version that have no upgrades and modifications and i want to use new one. Anyone can please explain how to do that?

Nevermind i just put the file to the wrong folder i read it wrong now i see it sorry guys.

Last edited:
Level 3
Why would you export anything like "ultimate detailed model" to mdl? Frozen throne is a lowpoly game and maps bigger than 10 MB can't be played in multiplayer. If that model can't be exported within 1hour, it would probably reach 10MB limit itselves...

Level 1
Warcraft Material /Opacity Map Error

Hello : )

I´m trying to make my first custom Character for Warcraft 3 in 3dsmax2010 (32Bit).

I have some trouble to export the mdx file. My Model has a Warcraft 3 Material, but I always get this error message, when I try to export. The mesh has 32 Bit *.tga with an Alpha 1 Channel.

Here are my settings for the material.

Attachments

• war3mat_error.jpg
    war3mat_error.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 152
Level 1
Please help me, I have a problem with exporting an animated model to mdl.
I read some instruction that it's need to process the model with Key Reducer before directly exporting it to mdl. Really, if I don't use Key Reducer I get model with defective animations (I open it in War3ModelEditor and watch false transformations when it animated). And if I use Key Reducer I have another problem that animated model takes false positions such as top or bottom displacements on Z axis (comes off or falls under the ground).