• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #1 - Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi. This is my piece for contest (but it will be in some project warcraft 3 too, but now shh! :D).
Well its ~90% done (but still its a WIP), in a few days my friend will record real strings and i think it will be enough.
Anyway, Did you think its fit to Naga race, or other water specific?

Edit: Link now works. (this max filesize is distrubing >.<)

P.S. Yeah, i`m author of this song, my music nickname is nobody.
Two samples used in this song is not mine. Author of (u-boot ping and animal scream) is ERH - http://www.freesound.org/usersViewSingle.php?id=215874
Sorry for my english, i`m still learning.

Attachments

• nobody, - nautilus (forcontest).mp3
    5 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Level 6
Yeah, I've got all the acoustic recorded, and I've got the vision..
Just need the pack of cigarettes and approximately 8 hours spent on computer, woohoo.

Hmm, thinking saturday maybe.
Gotta post a wip before that though.

Level 19
Yeah, I've got all the acoustic recorded, and I've got the vision..
Just need the pack of cigarettes and approximately 8 hours spent on computer, woohoo.

Hmm, thinking saturday maybe.
Gotta post a wip before that though.

8 hours?:razz: That's sick

Level 19
I think that a normal amount of time for making music, even if just using clips.
It takes alot of work to get levels, composition, and mastering done. I think im on my 30th hour working on mine just trying to weed things out and fit things in!

Wow nice. You make me pretty curious about your submission now:D:D
The WIP I made was done in one hour I think. Started on something else aswel which also took me an hour. It's just that after an hour of work I usually have to stop because my idea's are becomming... uncreative and bad.
So that's why I usually finish a song/composition after ~3/4 sessions of an hour:)

Level 2
First WIP

ok, this is my first WIP. I'm not sure if my finished work will sound exactly like this, but here is atleast a WIP.

I know that it lacks of a lot of instruments and stuff... but its only a WIP previewing some of the main melody. But I'd love feedback ;):thumbs_up: / :thumbs_down:

Attachments

• Warcraft tribute WIP1.mp3
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
ok, this is my first WIP. I'm not sure if my finished work will sound exactly like this, but here is atleast a WIP.

I know that it lacks of a lot of instruments and stuff... but its only a WIP previewing some of the main melody. But I'd love feedback ;):thumbs_up: / :thumbs_down:

Sounds nice but I think the gong doesn't quite "work"

Level 6
I've got the kind of situation with Xarwin, don't count me out just yet though.
Not sure if i can make it till the date.. I've never liked deadlines.
I'll post my piece on my music thread later if i can't make it till the date.

Level 10
Hello all you guys at the hive!
I'm sure you won't have expected me here, so please let me explain a little how I came here again after more than 2 years of absence (the last post the forum found by me was from december 2007).
From time to time I looked what was going on here, mainly when I got PMs (which was very rare of course). Last time I got a PM on February 12th this year. This was when I saw this music contest here. I was completely stunned: When I stopped to be active here, I don't remember anything going on in the music section. I often planned to return as a musician and change that, but until now I didn't get so far, I didn't even get as far as finishing a piece of music for myself in an acceptable way.
Well, when I saw this contest, I read all the 23 pages which had been written until then and I decided to take this chance and finally build a piece of music myself, and take it to a finish, at any cost. I didn't know if I was going to succeed since I didn't know which problems I would be confronted with, so until now, I just read the thread and listened to all the samples that were submitted.
The Listening process was very interesting for me. It's great to see how many different styles are used and how each of the participating members does the job in his very personal way.

@Xarvin: Sad to see you leave the contest. Yours was one of the most individual pieces, so I liked it. Maybe you get it a little further nevertheless… maybe you even rejoin. :wink:

My piece is more classical, it's written for a bank of brass and percussion instruments, some few sound FX added; everything recorded & mixed from MIDI using Logic pro. I'm dealing with the Demons of the Burning Legion in it, you may divide it in three parts: The silence before the storm, then the meteors coming down and the demons devastating everything, and the silence of the destruction when they have left to devastate another place. I'll add some parts in the middle, I think and probably do some fine tuning in the mix for the final version…
so I'm in if you accept me and hope you may enjoy my work. :grin:

I think I'll be a little active in the music section in the future. I plan to make music for maps, too… we'll have to see how much time I can find, though.

Attachments

• Burning Legion WIP 1.mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 76
I really like your piece so far, baer, but I think it'd sound a lot better if you'd add string patches on some places (it needs the background harmony, rather than just bassy tuba and trombone to make it more powerful, and trumpet to hold the melody, and yes, I know that brass instruments are the epitome of power in an orchestra). What makes your piece powerful is the dissonant arrangement of brass instruments, so it seems you really know your shit well.

Level 2
@Waldbaer

Hi.
Great piece of work. It felt just like a WC3 music-piece. I could feel it building up towards the storm, and then calming down afterwards. Personally I would've loved if there was "more power" in the middle "battle" section. But a great piece. Indeed :p :thumbs_up:

Level 10
Thanks for your nice comments. :thumbs_up:
You confirmed me to focus my work for the remaining week on the middle part, which should be the main part, but it does not yet play up to this role enough. I'll see what I can do and try to get it as convincing as I wish it to bee. :wink:

Last edited:
Level 10
Hey, there's nearly a week remaining... and everything can always be made better. I myself can't understand that some of you already submitted their "final" entries.
Well I started work very late, but nevertheless... even if I felt that I was done I'd wait to keep the chance that new ideas during the remaining time might make the piece even better.

Level 35
I am in - and actually thought I already written that - But apparently I never did.

Now the only issue I am having is in connection with the license, since I am using Appleton and maybe also Audiotune. So wanted to be sure that I am not violating the license rules by using those (Its license free tools that Appleton is using, but still felt I better ask).

Level 10
contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Any method of music production is allowed, including using Sequencers, Virtual Instruments, Sound Samples (granted you provide the source of the original sound sample) and standard recording.
  • Contestants may use any program to create their music. Essentially, the only part that is judged or limited is the final product. ...
  • The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that YOU wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.
I guess this means that you may use any program you want as long as you don't simply queue loops that are done by other people. :wink:

@VoidLordXtreme: Nice WIP! Well of course a bit short and not really with an ending, but it's a WorkInProgress, so I'll look forward to the remaining part. Reminds me a little on music from "Commandos". :grin:

Level 10
I guess this means that you may use any program you want as long as you don't simply queue loops that are done by other people. :wink:

@VoidLordXtreme: Nice WIP! Well of course a bit short and not really with an ending, but it's a WorkInProgress, so I'll look forward to the remaining part. Reminds me a little on music from "Commandos". :grin:

thx, but i have to do a lot of work left to do on this!
hope i can finish it...

Level 19
I'm always saving much work for the last moment.
I might not finish my entry. In case I don't come up with a finished result here's my entry: <Click my signature for Furbolg Theme>

Level 10
I think your piece has a very nice drive in it, but is it intended that it is overdriven so much? Especially the piano sounds strange for my ears with this overdrive... everything sounds as if my speakers were broken. :eekani:
Well, I'm not familiar with this style of music until now, so maybe my comment is just stupid. :ugly: :con:

Level 19
Could you attach it to your post in case your pastebin expires by the time we need it?

Can't attach wma files as an attachment, but the pastebin will expire 30 days after the last visit. So I doubt it will expire, and just in case I will visit a couple of times a week.:wink:

Level 35
I'm always saving much work for the last moment.
I might not finish my entry. In case I don't come up with a finished result here's my entry: <Click my signature for Furbolg Theme>

Sounds a bit eerie in the beginning with all the high notes but eventually it turns into something quite playful. Violin is a bit loud compared to everything. I don't really see Furbolgs in this song -- maybe some other more "friendly" race like the Pandarens or something (Excuse me if I get my lore wrong). Overall it's jubilant and creative. Well done.

*Also, for a WIP, is it possible for me to simply post the melody i played on the piano in a hurry? Later on, I'll try to arrange it into strings or something.*

Status
Not open for further replies.