• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MPQ patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone

Wc3 is turning into a pretty old game and I feel that the models used in this game is getting a little outdated. Of course we can import models using the import manager but that significantly increases your map size. the LAN limit is 8 MB, discouraging us to use some great models available online.

I was thinking about starting a project to update the .mpq file (a file that contains all the model, texture and sound files). This will store the data in wc3 itself and not in the map, making your map smaller to download or leaves you with more room to import additional models. Of course, I could have just thrown models inside the .mpq and say: "here is the new .mpq file" but I want the mappers to be involved. It can happen that many versions of the .mpq file can occur that can force you to replace the .mpq file for every map you play. The purpose of this project is to create a "standard" version that every map can share so you only need to download ONE .mpq file. This file can be updated yearly so you can enjoy the newest models.

RULES:
no wow rips allowed
model must be warcraft 3 related
graphics quality must blend in with other models

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.