• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What's prefered: MPQ or Local Files

.MPQ or Local files for campaign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
So recently a new patch came out that everybody loves that contains a little setting increases the map sizes allowed on multiplayer.

And Mr @RedCrusader pointed out that it's actually very easy to extract your files from the campaign editor and they do use the path they were assigned to in the import manager of the campaign editor.

That being said, what do you guys prefer:

A custom war3patch .mpq , just throw it into the Warcraft 3 folder or a zip file with all the models and stuff that you drop into the Warcraft 3 folder using the local files registry?

+ I'm assuming you can play multiplayer with the custom .mpq war3patch, but I'm just guessing.

Level 25
Since it's possible to extract the files to the .mpq, maybe it's possible to extract them back into the campaign editor later on with a tool, I don't want to do it manually since there's about ~2000 files.

But yeah, save times increase a lot the more files you add.

Since it's possible to extract the files to the .mpq, maybe it's possible to extract them back into the campaign editor later on with a tool, I don't want to do it manually since there's about ~2000 files.

But yeah, save times increase a lot the more files you add.

It might just be better to use placeholders for the larger files. e.g. if you have a very large model, don't import it until you are close to finalizing your map. Just use a temporary model until then.

Same goes for sound files.

That way, you won't really have to worry about long save times until you are ready to publish everything.

Level 25
It might just be better to use placeholders for the larger files. e.g. if you have a very large model, don't import it until you are close to finalizing your map. Just use a temporary model until then.

Same goes for sound files.

That way, you won't really have to worry about long save times until you are ready to publish everything.
I just did some tests with Ladiks MPQ Editor..

I can open campaign files just fine in it and the contents look like those of a .mpq
So in theory, I should just be able to extract all the files, use a custom .mpq while editing and then simly drag drop 'em back with the ladiks mpq editor into the campaign.

No manual importing needed.
Can't test now as I'm at relatives on a computer with no Wc3 and a slow internet.

I just did some tests with Ladiks MPQ Editor..

I can open campaign files just fine in it and the contents look like those of a .mpq
So in theory, I should just be able to extract all the files, use a custom .mpq while editing and then simly drag drop 'em back with the ladiks mpq editor into the campaign.

No manual importing needed.
Can't test now as I'm at relatives on a computer with no Wc3 and a slow internet.

Yes, all WC3 maps including campaigns are just MPQ archives.

Level 25
So that got me thinking..
In the download section of this site, what if the resources had their paths mapped up with folders already?

So a model would have the path:
model1.mdl
Textures\model1whatever.blp

Icons would be
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\

So all you had to do would be to drag and drop the file onto the campaign with an .mpq editor, thus allowing you to ignore the hassle of using the import manager and having to manually setup the paths. Would save a lot of time for mappers when creating new maps.

Could even create a tool specifically for it if needed.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I feel like what's going on this thread is important, but I'm not catching all of it.

For the record, not knowing of any other alternatives, I have been using a custom MPQ for years now; incredibly simple. No importing ever; just MPQ-Editor the stuff into it (even make up your own file paths that ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE), then replace your normal MPQ & go. Paths are set in-World-Editor. That, or even one step better; SEMPQ (honestly haven't gotten too much into those yet, so not sure).

~~~

- What are "local files" and how exactly is that done (tutorial?)
- What's this about maps/campaigns being MPQ's, and what (@LordDz) does this entail/allow, exactly?
- Why are so many people sour self-haters?

Level 25
Local files means you set a setting in the regedit for Warcraft 3, telling it to use local files in the Warcraft 3 folder, so you can just set the path to a model in your wc3 folder instead of importing it.
The backside comes with that people have to download the files somehow and do some regedit stuff which will mean at least 1 kid will burn his computer.
Local files

Maps and campaigns store files exactly like a normal .mpq does apparently, so that means we can very easily import files into them with a .mpq manager.
So my sort of suggestion would be to have all the models and other resources on this site have their texture paths already created with folders, thus you could just drag them into the map with a .mpq editor, thus saving a lot of manual work.

Ah you know, it's the trend nowadays to be pissy and hateful on life.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Maps and campaigns store files exactly like a normal .mpq does apparently, so that means we can very easily import files into them with a .mpq manager.
So my sort of suggestion would be to have all the models and other resources on this site have their texture paths already created with folders, thus you could just drag them into the map with a .mpq editor, thus saving a lot of manual work.
Aw yeah, no way. MPQ FTW.

And yes, I definitely agree; having the site pre-package stuff like that would be hecka-useful.

Level 21
I manage stuff as local files. Putting stuff in an MPQ would be too much hassle for me and harder to maintain, while right now I can just directly open models in War3ModelEditor, for instance.
I occasionally do that to make minor modifications such as removing TC. I don't touch the original model though, but make my own version that just has X at the end of the name. X as in Xonok.
The major reason for doing this is that it utterly circumvents any necessity to import stuff right away. I can try out large amounts of models without having to keep track of them in import editor. I guess it applies to MPQs too, but afaik you can only have one custom MPQ, while with local files you can have any amount of superfolders and don't have to compromise by following the system that someone else used.
I even go as far as adding lines to the JNGP configuration so that it would handle stuff like //! import better.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Local files means you set a setting in the regedit for Warcraft 3, telling it to use local files in the Warcraft 3 folder, so you can just set the path to a model in your wc3 folder instead of importing it.
The backside comes with that people have to download the files somehow and do some regedit stuff which will mean at least 1 kid will burn his computer.

Local files can be easily enabled or disabled, by using the two reg files provided in the archive AllowLocalFiles.zip (please see the attachments from this post). This way, no risk to burn one's computer by manually editing the registry (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.