• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Most Memorable Game Storyline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
The game or the story sucks?
Because I thought the game rocked, but there wasn't really much of a story since it focused more on freedom than storytelling.

Level 17
Well, there are other games I like as well, but these truly has the best story's.

The Elder Scrolls - No need to say anything, the story's just... ERROR! Word can't be found!
Fallout - See above!
Fable - See above!
Diablo - Short and great story, tons of NPC to hack'n'slash, good enough for me.
Nox - The story is a true "kick-ass"! So freaking funny!
I just can't wait until a company buys the rights and makes a second game!
Warcraft - Probably the most memorial games ever, I can't even express it...

Fucking failure of a list

Warcraft? LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL

Level 25
Which Elder Scrolls game are you talking about? Oblivion sucks balls, so i certainly hope you aren't talking about that one.

(The Shivering Isles expansion for oblivion is actually kind of interesting)
Morrowind and Oblivion
(I was to young for the first TES games, to understand them!).

Obilivon owns IMO and if you don't
think so... Well, nothing to do about it.

Fucking failure of a list

Warcraft? LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah, everyone has thier own opinion
about games mate. I love 'em and that whats counts for me........

Level 15
The gameplay in Oblivion is good, i love how they did combat. The complete BS storyline (You're an errand boy for a D-Bag Emperor-to-be) and bland nature of the world is what bugs me most about it.

Morrowind kicks trash, i've said it before, and i'll say it again. The combat bugs me, and some of the animations could be redone, but if you added Oblivions combat and fixed the animations, Morrowind would be even better. Don't say "upgrade the graphics" because imo, the art style and graphics fit Morrowind perfectly, no need to fix what isn't broken.

Level 15
The game or the story sucks?
Both. The combat needs improvement. It's basically attack, block, attack, block, magic, block, attack, etc. And it takes forever to kill things. How is it possible that stabbing someone with my sword doesn't instantly kill them? The quests were alright (not counting the main one), but there was only like 20. I liked the Dark Brotherhood quest chain, but why exactly is the end so lame? I thought being a leader of a guild of Assassins was supposed to be, oh I don't know... badass? Exciting? Not boring?

Level 17
but there was only like 20
There are countless quests. Not to mention all the user-created ones that were added via mods. You could walk into any city and find something to do. There are about 216 quests counting the expansions, not counting the mods.

How is it possible that stabbing someone with my sword doesn't instantly kill them?
You can turn down the difficulty making it possible to basically kill people with one hit, but that argument still holds no value. I shoot enemies in the back multiple times and yet they turn around and shoot me back. Almost every game is like that.

It focused on strategy over your usual run of the mill kill everything that moves with your ridiculously overpowered character.

Level 26
Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone...

No seriously.
I haven't played a lot of games with a decent storyline (or any storyline for that matter) but for me it's Wc3 (mostly RoC) and Halo.
The fact that it's a game based on a movie based on a book helps.
Love.

Ever 17 - The Out of Infinity: I don't think you can really call it a game, because it's just a visual novel (i.e. dating sim), but if you like anime/manga and you like brick-shitting-level plot twists, then this is for you.

Other visual novels of the sort that are equally awesome (but contain pr0n, though in the English translations of these, you can choose to remove the one or two pr0n scenes in each storyline) are Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night.

Tales of Symphonia: It's just really nice.

Deus Ex: Awe-inspiring in every aspect, including, but not limited to, gameplay, aesthetics, and, more importantly, storyline. Cyberpunk + Tinfoil Hat Conspiracies = AWESOME!

The game even fucking predicts 9/11 before it actually happens, which, though not necessarily related to the plot, is pretty creepy and amazing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex said:
During sections of the game where the New York skyline is visible in the background, the two towers of the World Trade Center are noticeably missing; the real towers were destroyed a year after the game was released. Harvey Smith has explained that due to texture memory limitations, the portion of the skyline with the twin towers exists in the game's data files but had to be left out of the final game, with the other half mirrored in place of it. According to Smith, during the game's development, the developers justified the lack of the towers by stating that terrorists had destroyed the World Trade Center earlier in the game's storyline.

Starcraft: Notable because it has the most interesting plotline of any RTS I've seen before. Warcraft was pretty boring in comparison, and already had traces of storyline from Starcraft in the first place.

Level 15
There are countless quests.
Let's count them together. You have the Main Quest. It's pretty long, fine, but isn't spectacular. You have the Fighter's Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, Arena, and Dark Brotherhood. The faction quests were pretty unique, specifically the Dark Brotherhood. Now let's see how many sidequests there are... Approx. 45 side quests, not counting the Faction questlines and Main Quest-related quests. I'll admit, some of them are pretty interesting, but some are rather predicable and boring. They definitely should've added more. For the record, I'm only talking about regular Oblivion, not the Shivering Isles or whatever.

Not to mention all the user-created ones that were added via mods.
Excuse me if I don't want to go through a quest that involves me sleeping with somebody.

You could walk into any city and find something to do. There are about 216 quests counting the expansions, not counting the mods.
All I could really do in a town is buy/sell items and equipment or rent a room to sleep. Occasionally I'd find that some specific NPC's had the whereabouts on something interesting, but mostly that wasn't the case.

It focused on strategy over your usual run of the mill kill everything that moves with your ridiculously overpowered character.
That's not what I wanted out of Oblivion's combat. I wanted it to be a little more realistic. I wanted it to make combat as fatal for me as it is for my enemy. I also wanted to be able to do the things possible in the Deadly Reflex mod- that is, to cut my enemies in half. EDIT: Except to a more lethal degree.

Last edited:
Level 17
There are exactly 181 quests in the basic game. Stop trying to say there are less.

Not to mention all the user-created ones that were added via mods.
Excuse me if I didn't know clicking on a few links was so hard to find some decent quest mods. Epic Oblivion Quests

All I could really do in a town is buy/sell items and equipment or rent a room to sleep. Occasionally I'd find that some specific NPC's had the whereabouts on something interesting, but mostly that wasn't the case.
Look harder is all I can say. I never seemed to have a problem finding stuff to do. But I guess everyone has their own experiences.

That's not what I wanted out of Oblivion's combat. I wanted it to be a little more realistic. I wanted it to make combat as fatal for me as it is for my enemy. I also wanted to be able to do the things possible in the Deadly Reflex mod- that is, to cut my enemies in half.
Yes, the combat could have used some...visceral improvements.
Chopping an enemies arm off, or just cutting into it deeply rendering it unusable would have been cool. Same thing with spells. By the end of the game you got pretty sick of killing every enemy the same way. But I still prefer it over many other games of the same type.

Level 12
Oblivion is better than Morrowind, no doubt.

Well, maybe the main plot is nothing special, but Morrowind has also no original story ("oo, you are the chosen one, go there, and kill your nemesis, oo, you are our saviour)

But the feeling of story in oblivion is about 500%better (living faces, everywhere is dabing) and the side-quest arent so simple as in Morrowind (go there, kill the bastard/take some item/take someone to somwhere and return back, 99%quests are in this way)

In oblivion side quest are 90% less boring. (one example for all, the quest for dark brotherhood to kill all people in the house, it is based on agatha christies book or something, but it is really cool quest)

Only thing I dont really like about oblivion is the look of the cities (but Imperial city is good) and look of the guard (why the hell in morrowind they are roman-like and in oblivion medieval-like)

Level 15
There are exactly 181 quests in the basic game. Stop trying to say there are less.
Most of those "quests" are part of bigger quest chains, which are, as stated, the Main Quest and the Factions.

Excuse me if I didn't know clicking on a few links was so hard to find some decent quest mods. Epic Oblivion Quests
I didn't mean "epic" adventures, all though those are nice to have. I meant regular quests. Don't mind me saying, but World of Warcraft has hundreds upon hundreds of quests, a lot of which are unique in some regard.

Look harder is all I can say. I never seemed to have a problem finding stuff to do. But I guess everyone has their own experiences.
Right when you start the game, what can you do in the Imperial City other than buy/sell or join the Arena?

Yes, the combat could have used some...visceral improvements. Chopping an enemies arm off, or just cutting into it deeply rendering it unusable would have been cool. Same thing with spells. By the end of the game you got pretty sick of killing every enemy the same way. But I still prefer it over many other games of the same type.
Dark Messiah's combat looks a bit more... intense than Oblivion's.

Level 17
Dark Messiah's combat looks a bit more... intense than Oblivion's.
Meh, I played it. It seemed pretty awesome at first. But as I got deeper into it got very lackluster. You were basically doing the same thing throughout.
Right when you start the game, what can you do in the Imperial City other than buy/sell or join the Arena?
The Unfriendly competition one, the one about the vampires, the guy who wants you to collect all of the artifacts, which is actually three separate quests, the one where you get robbed at the inn and have to track down the thieves, the one to get rid of the corrupted imperial officer, the vampire cure one, the quest you get after doing the arena for so long, and other ones I'm sure.
Most of those "quests" are part of bigger quest chains, which are, as stated, the Main Quest and the Factions.
But they still count as quests. WoW did the same thing. Just in a smaller manner. Just because they are but part of a larger set, doesn't make them any less of what they are. Somebody tells you to do something, you do it, you get a reward. That's a quest.

Level 19
Dark Messiah has marvelous combat, but the game itself was very... linear.
And the fucking ghouls are fucking overpowered!!!

You can find your "visceral improvements" by playing with the Deadly Reflex mode (if you can get it working), it adds all sorts of awesome stuff :D

Level 15
You can find your "visceral improvements" by playing with the Deadly Reflex mode (if you can get it working), it adds all sorts of awesome stuff :D
Deadly Reflex is fine and dandy, but not exactly what I wanted. Sure, you can impale people and decapitate them, but you can't cut individual body parts off.

Level 11
The World Ends With You is only mentioned once, yet its zetta epic! Also the Zelda series is too epic for words.

Off-Topic
Deadly Reflex is fine and dandy, but not exactly what I wanted. Sure, you can impale people and decapitate them, but you can't cut individual body parts off.
Buy Madworld, its gore and blood in over 9000 ways

Level 26
dead-horse.jpg

Level 15
I can't believe I left this game out: Mass Effect. The storyline, while slightly cliche', is excellently presented and revealed. The whole game is, in one word, epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.