• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft II beta ends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The beta of the upcoming Blizzard Entertainment game Starcraft II - Wings of Liberty came to an end on Monday night when blizzard shut of the beta servers for the last time. Patches will no longer be supplied and it is now impossible to activate the phase 2 client due to the beta severs being offline. The Beta should also get removed from your battlenet account shortly in preparation for the game's release.

It has been a pretty memorable game beta, having the usual mix of bugs and issues one expects but also having numerous controversial issues and irritating issues like poor support for people outside America. Ranging from major changes like facebook support or real ID to minor ones like balance changes people seemed to never get enough of discussing them. However despite all this, most people agree that the end product of the beta is a game worthy to become game of the year.

So what is next? Starcraft II - Wings of Liberty will be released in most countries on the 27 of July 2010 for PC and MAC. This will bring many features the beta did not have like a epic single player campaign and new art content for use in custom maps. Additionally it is hoped that all servers worldwide will be functioning fully allowing people outside America to play custom maps. Anything more only time can tell.

Level 37
I just hope that there won't be as many tutorial missions as there were in SC1. I mean, some of the first missions in every campaign are a joke, way too easy and simple. It was also annoying how you got to use the higher tier units in so few maps.

With that said, I'm very excited about the release.

Level 20
Went to pre-order the game at a local electronics store. Bunch of liars. They advertise that they're doing a midnight release (they're not), that they give a limited edition poster to all pre-orders (they don't), and that the first 20 people to buy the game get a free headset (they don't). All I get for pre-ordering is a hat.

Level 3
Hope the campaign is as epic as I hope since they're splitting it into 3 parts.
I'll be beating it AKA finding as much as I can, we'll see how it goes though ^_^

Level 22
I was in beta since April 18th afair, some got the advantage but you know like 99.9% of the people, I was playing some silly AIs before getting beta, which helped a little to learn the units. Then I did enjoy the time of playing vs others till the end of phase 1. Phase 2 was just 1 week which was very unexpected, I only did 4:1 1v1 and that was my playing for phase 2.

As this is mapmaking site, I also learnt some new things in the editor. Just like in melee you dont start from zero, the same was with the editor. Ofc just basic things... I prefer to play too not just waste days only at the editor so sure there are others who know a lot more. Was overall great to play Beta, thx to Blizzard, my luck and the long time struggle to get into beta.

Hopefully mine won't be delayed too much after the release, maybe the same week.

Level 45
My computer struggles with SC2 on low.. But I'll soldier through. And I was wondering if and when we're gonna be able to upload SC2 maps on here, does anyone know?

I am assuming afew days-weeks after sc2 is released (world-wide).

sc2 is released here on monday at night time o.0...they are having a massive "midnight/morning" release...nice o.0

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
when we're gonna be able to upload SC2 maps on here

Probably never. There is no point for us to provide a SC2 map section as currently it seems you can only play maps downloaded from battlenet directly unless you test them via the editor. Thus providing a map section would purly be to allow people to view triggers and how the map functioned, thus less a map section and more a source depository for old versions of maps. If you can play downloaded maps from outsite of battlenet, then a map section may be considered but restricted to only single player maps because all multiplayer games are hosted by battlenet and thus have to be a map published to battlenet and the players must download it from battlenet (which mindyou has pretty good servers so slow DL is a thing of the past). It seems probable that there will be a map development board dedicated to SC2 maps where you can advertise your custom map to get more people to download them and play them on battlenet.

TV adverts in the UK state 27th of July, so I am guessing it will be released through most of developed Europe at the same date (more obscure or less developed places may receive it slightly later).

The downloadable version will be activatable come the 27th of July from anywhere.

Level 17
Probably never. There is no point for us to provide a SC2 map section as currently it seems you can only play maps downloaded from battlenet directly unless you test them via the editor. Thus providing a map section would purly be to allow people to view triggers and how the map functioned, thus less a map section and more a source depository for old versions of maps. If you can play downloaded maps from outsite of battlenet, then a map section may be considered but restricted to only single player maps because all multiplayer games are hosted by battlenet and thus have to be a map published to battlenet and the players must download it from battlenet (which mindyou has pretty good servers so slow DL is a thing of the past). It seems probable that there will be a map development board dedicated to SC2 maps where you can advertise your custom map to get more people to download them and play them on battlenet.
, I don't really get this, Blizzard added some sort of protection to the game that you only play custom (multi) maps that are downloaded through battlenet?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You need to publish the maps before people can play them (you can choose to publish your map inside the Galaxy Editor). For example, if a SC2map you download from our section is protected, you can't publish it (only the author can) and, therefore, you can't play it on Battle.Net.
By publishing, you are uploading your map to Battle.Net. From that point, you can log into Battle.Net and host your map.
I believe you are, in fact, no longer the host, even if you are the one who chose to host a map. Right now, when the host leaves a game, instead of having the game canceled and everyone kicked, another player will be appointed as the host.
So, yeah, it seems Battle.Net provides all those services now. It hosts for you, you download from them... The advantage of this is, as DSG mentioned, that their servers are good (or simply better than anything you can get at home for less than a lot of money), and, therefore, laggy hosts and slow downloads won't be a problem anymore.

P.S. -- The only problem you'll get for the first years of the game are people who don't have a computer that can handle Starcraft II's new graphics and the vast amount of units, the result being lag in games with a lot of units. Knowing how much people like these kind of maps (the fact a lot of people seem to like SC2's melee game supports my point), you can only expect to run into these games once in a while, in which case you'll have to bear with these people who have slow computers.

Level 17
No, they just made it so there is no need for sites to supply maps as their offical servers provide them all.

&

You need to publish the maps before people can play them (you can choose to publish your map inside the Galaxy Editor). For example, if a SC2map you download from our section is protected, you can't publish it (only the author can) and, therefore, you can't play it on Battle.Net.
By publishing, you are uploading your map to Battle.Net. From that point, you can log into Battle.Net and host your map.
I believe you are, in fact, no longer the host, even if you are the one who chose to host a map. Right now, when the host leaves a game, instead of having the game canceled and everyone kicked, another player will be appointed as the host.
So, yeah, it seems Battle.Net provides all those services now. It hosts for you, you download from them... The advantage of this is, as DSG mentioned, that their servers are good (or simply better than anything you can get at home for less than a lot of money), and, therefore, laggy hosts and slow downloads won't be a problem anymore.
, thanks, I get it now.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Btw guest keys is out and I got the hand of one guest accounts, which allows me to prematurely download sc2 before bnet2 is opened.

Each guest key allows you do play 7 hours, or 14 days, whichever comes first.

When you register your key, you get the advantage of downloading real SC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.