• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Oldest Yet Most Memorable Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey all :thumbs_up:

I'd like you to turn back the clock a few years. And I mean quite a few. Back to when you were but a small lad (or lass. Wait, girls are merely a figment of the internet surfer's imagination, right? :vw_wtf:), playing his first few games. Now I want you to tell me: out of all those vintage games you played, whether they be on the PlayStation 1, Gameboy, or even MS-DOS, which one sticks out to you the most?
((Please Note: I'm talking about old games here, not your overall favourite. To give some specification, I'm talking about games made from between 1990-2001, but it could vary.))

For mine, it would have to be:

MDK (1997)

Mdk1cover.jpg
MDKS_004.GIF
MDKS_005.GIF

Released in 1997, MDK is an action-packed sci-fi third-person-shooter that boasted revolutionary graphics (for its time), an epic soundtrack and... a very unique plot. While it may be overshadowed in popularity and quality by other games such as Half-Life, it was definitely a gaming benchmark and milestone, and my favourite vintage game to date. Strangely enough, no-one knows what the game title actually stands for! Not even the game developers (or perhaps they're just keeping it a secret)!

So, what are yours?

Level 5
Probably my 2 most memorable games from my early childhood where Pokemon Red which I cried in my room emotionally blackmail my parents buy me a game boy for my birthday.

Pokemon_red_box.jpg

And then Banjo Kazooie which I played on a N64 at the after school care. I loved that game so much and eventually clocked it over the course of 3 years or so
250px-BanjoKazooieCover500px.jpg

Level 7
Aeroblyctos:
That looks pretty epic! Reminds me the Final Fantasy series, for some reason :xxd: The graphics also look pretty sweet! Just for those wishing for a date comparison, I looked it up, and Legend of the Dragoon was first released for PlayStation in 1999. Looks pretty amazing for its time.

Doombringer:
Pokemon! Gotta catch 'em all! Hehe, got that theme song stuck in my head again. I haven't played any of the Pokemon video games. I've only watched the TV series and one of the movies, but the game looks pretty sweet (and it has charizard on the cover, so that only doubles its awesomeness!) Another date comparison, Pokemon Red was first released in 1998. And Banjo-Kazooie, huh? Also looks pretty awesome! Never played it, though.

Tleno:
Not me :eek: Wow, I feel seriously outplayed, here. :xxd:

So, anyone else want share their vintage games?

I have many :/

Chip's Challenge - Simple. My bro's old computer have it on its game folder and my old computer doesn't. Jealous.

Virtua Fighter - My very first arcade game (not pacman and bomberman).

Super Bomberman 4-5 - I played it with friends and relatives and stuff.

Metal Gear Solid

And another game (from the arcades), but I forgot the name. The gameplay is side-scrolling shooting action.

Level 7
Aeroblyctos:
I can understand why you'd say that; even from the screenshots I saw, it looks like it takes place in quite an amazing setting. And I agree; many good games from that era in gaming are actually underrated... such as shame.

Supertoinkz:
Metal Gear Solid!! Woohoo!! I remember that game -- it was seriously awesome! I still remember playing it on my PlayStation. Solid Snake was an awesome protagonist, in my opinion. To me, though, Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best, but that's getting off the topic of old games. Metal Gear Solid 1 was epic, and the boss fights were memorable.

Level 11
I'd have to say Super Mario 64... would be the most memorable game i've played... that or an old PC game like starcraft or Might and Magic 7, or Lands of Lore III :p hehe

Level 21
600full-super-mario-bros.-cover.jpg

Can't believe nobody posted this game yet, and boy it brings so many good memories, but still the NES came along way from the good old days, and now Nintendo is still great nowadays.

Level 21
Yeah Duck Hunt was a really great game too for its time and how you used a gun that was programmed for the NES to shoot down the ducks and that damn annoying dog laugh.
Really hated him, but the game itself was awesome.

Wasn't that like first mass-produced video-game console?
No, the first one was actually the Fairchild Channel F Magnavox Odyssey, though the Atari 2600 became the most popular one later on.
The Mark 57253 was released about 2 years after Atari 2600's release, and the bundled cartridge for this console was the only one as far as I know.

Last edited:
Level 10
No, the first one was actually the Fairchild Channel F, though the Atari 2600 became the most popular one.
The Mark 57253 was released about 2 years after Atari 2600's release, and the bundled cartridge for this console was the only one as far as I know.

The first home console was actually the Magnavox Odyssey. It has been sold 330 000 times, so you could say it's the first mass-produced video-game console.

You, as a nerd fan, should know that :p

Level 8
My oldest yet most memorable game would have to be Quake. It was the game where I first learned about modding, where I joined my first clan and played competitively online, met new people online and talked to them with ICQ, and pretty much became more social all around.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4KsA1zB4G8

250px-Heretic.jpg

Such a great game, I remember playing it with my cousin long time ago, the nostalgia hits me...
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_PdgorMGp4

Level 25
RTS
Best is C&C, doubt, but Dune and Warcraft weren't that bad either.
And lets not forget about Starcraft!

FPS
Not the oldet, but the one I played the most in my "youth" was Soldier of Fortune.
Of course, Unreal and Quake weren't that bad either.

RPG (Hack 'n' Slash)
Not sure here, as I'm a RPG-lover...
Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Nox and more...

And by the way, what do we count as old?
Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate II, Diablo II, Warcraft III, Icewind Dale I-II, Arcanum, Sacred and much more; these games are sure getting old, but not super old...

To the point though!
My most memorable game of all time must be Nox, really.
I played it like crazy and actually completed the Wizard Quest-Line a while ago, still an awesome game (abit easy though)!

Oh, second thought; what about Snake and Tetris?

@tleno, Dune 2 was the first RTS ever, yes.
Didn't support Internet/LAN Gameplay though; Warcraft: Orcs and Humans changed that.

Level 9
Road Rash
it was pretty popular in India when Pc games started getting played
road-rash.jpg

Lion King
spent hours playing this one
lion-king-computer-game.gif

Jass Jack Rabbit
Can't forget this one, Jass Jack Rabbit 2 was also one really fun game played it for like years with co-op
jazz-jackrabbit.gif

Level 6
Well I grew up on SEGA, so I'd have to say Mortal Combat, Vector-Man, Rock n' Roll Racing(!!!), Demolition Man, Robocop vs. Terminator, etc. All of them great games :D

The first PC Games I played (like 7-8 years old) were Red Alert 1, Diablo 1, and Legacy of Kain:Soul Reaver (probably the best game series ever released ^^)

Status
Not open for further replies.