• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling mini-contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the two sided material thing is not really new and I have already spent some time cutting down on polies in order to finish the mesh. But now that you mention it there might be 4 polies I can remove.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Changes made and here is the model:
BEHOLD...
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? no it's...
a...
an*...
epic...
...ly awesome...
At first sight it's awesome but...it's weird when looking closely. First of all the position of its wings while standing looks very bad. With only 2 squares these wings shouldn't bend like that, it looks pointy and paper-like.
Also, the animations aren't smooth. I think it's because they are linear... TCB looks much smoother...
In addition there's a bad resolution conflict between the wings and the body. But that can't be efficiently changed, so it's ok. And you forgot attachments, at least Overhead, Origin and Chest Refs.
Anyhow, this model is pretty funny and cool, thumbs up.

Level 28
At first sight it's awesome but...it's weird when looking closely. First of all the position of its wings while standing looks very bad. With only 2 squares these wings shouldn't bend like that, it looks pointy and paper-like.
Also, the animations aren't smooth. I think it's because they are linear... TCB looks much smoother...
In addition there's a bad resolution conflict between the wings and the body. But that can't be efficiently changed, so it's ok. And you forgot attachments, at least Overhead, Origin and Chest Refs.
Anyhow, this model is pretty funny and cool, thumbs up.

Well the wing problem can easily be explained.
Pyritie (first post) said:
Contestants are to make a model using no more than 128 triangles. The model can be of anything.

About the animations I would like to know what the hell TCB is.
I'll fix the attatchments

Level 31
I'm thinking I might try my hand at this here Low Poly mini contest. Got a WIP.

Attachments

• ScarabFlyerWIP.JPG
    ScarabFlyerWIP.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 199
Level 11
Havent posted in a while. I wanna join this, but I've gotta get milkshape on my new laptop up at school. Can you still download it from the internets?

Also, I don't have Wc3 on the computer. Will I need an in game SS, or will a model viewer one do alright?

Level 26
Kickass looking model there skrab, doesnt even look low-poly. I like the texture (but i dont know why his abs are as big as his pectorals, looks a bit odd) But the animations are seriously badass. very smooth very nice, he might need a stand defend animation, like the footman. But anyway, great lookin WIPs there.

Level 11
Yes.... and both those features are in the respective programs.... not sure if this is the place to ask though, i think this is more of a minicontest thread

Nah man I needed to know so I could count the triangles on the mesh of my entry for this contest. The place to get info like that would be this thread, wouldn't it? Since it directly relates to the contest?

Edit: Found the properties window in Magos, I think. Faces=triangles, right?

Yes, and in milkshape, if you go to tools/show model statistics, it'll tell you how many triangles it has (tris=polys).

And here's sort of an update on my wormy thing:
Worm.png

I added some polys to the shell so the whole thing isn't one big triangle from the front, and made the eyes look a bit less gay. Comments...suggestions....whatever.

I'm going to try to make her mouth less 2D and more awesome-o so i can have her puke acid (how adorable ^^).

Level 11
Here's a WIP of my idea I posted a week ago in this thread. Skinned, uv mapped, head of my scrap robot infantry unit. (eyes are tc)
Robo.jpg

It'll be about the same height as the villager kid model and a bit wider. thought it would fit well with the goblin race, considering I gave it a huge ran down look. Skins by me as well. Tell me watcha think so far!

BTW about 27 triangles so far.

OK here is my final entry ( changed my idea on what it would be )
Still D3 stuff

Specs:

Model : 128 tris
Texture : 1x 512x512

Concept
9757-albums2216-picture17730.png

W.I.P. 1
9757-albums2216-picture17731.png

W.I.P. 2
9757-albums2216-picture17732.png

And Final
9757-albums2216-picture17733.png

And download of course:
Download Imp Weapon

Good luck to all , and may the best man ( or woman ) win :grin:

T.

Attachments

• D3 Imp Weapon.rar
    136.9 KB · Views: 112
- UV Map done.
- Texture done (it's also in 128x128).
- Mesh attached to a wc3 model rig done. In this case, it's the Mammoth rig, which surprisingly works with some tweaks (but you'll have to change unit size when you use the model ingame, or else you'll have a giant baby).
- It's still 128 tris.
- Baby suit, the colored pacifier and the iris is teamcolored.
- The ears and the pacifier's ring are just textured to keep the 128 limit in the contest. But I'll probably model the ears and the ring later, and add a decay gutz for a resource version.
- Still need to tweak the attachment points.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Baby3.jpg
    Baby3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Level 1
Due to time constraints i will not be able to complete this competition. Here is as far as i got.

Attachments

• 256render.jpg
    256render.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 1024render.jpg
    1024render.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 127
This will be my final contest entry until further notice.

Descriptions said:
Baby (contest version)

Made by: Dan van Ohllus

This low-poly baby model is my submission to Hiveworkshop's first Modeling Mini-Contest, where the theme was to limit your entry's tris count to 128 or less.

Mesh and texture are made from scratch, while the animations are taken and tweaked from the Mammoth unit.

IMPORTANT: When applied to a unit, the baby looks huge, so do the following unit settings in order to fix the issue.
1. Change "Art - Scaling Value" to 0.20 (or 0.25).
2. Change both "Art - Animation - Run Speed" and "Art - Animation - Walk Speed" to 500.

YOU MUST GIVE ME CREDITS IF YOU USE THIS MODEL IN YOUR MAP.

Please DO NOT distribute and/or modify this resource without my permission.

Attachments

• Baby_Contest_Version_by_DvO.zip
    45.4 KB · Views: 56
  • minicontest-baby-preview.jpg
    minicontest-baby-preview.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 109
  • minicontest-baby-ingame.jpg
    minicontest-baby-ingame.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 123
Level 25
I'm about to reformat my PC so I'll post this as final entry. Maybe I'll update it later.

Undead Spartan
Its a ghost of the dead Spartan warrior.

I know there are many mistakes on the texture but that is my first custom painted texture.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Final.rar
    110.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Undead spartan.jpg
    Undead spartan.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,240
Status
Not open for further replies.