1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Mini-Modelling Contest Theme Discussion

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by Pharaoh_, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

Model creators of Hiveworkshop, apparently, the latest proposed themes didn't work out for you and I am sorry that I hadn't created a poll earlier to determine the theme.

Allow me to explain; the main purpose of the Mini-Contests is to retain the modding sparkle of yours, so that something useful comes out of them. If you take a look at the Requests forum, you will realize that many people ask for special effects, other game characters, statues, buildings, etc. The latest Mini-Modelling contest was double themed and the goal was to either create an aura or a statue. With the pace of a "mini" contest, these themes seemed to have been ideal in terms of necessity and time requirement.

For your own reasons, you did not want to participate and this saddens me. So here, post your own feedback on themes for the upcoming mini-modelling contests of your preference and we will determine the next contest's theme!

Thank you for reading ;)

2. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    the theme is fine, but it started while mc 24 was already going on and there's not much to gain with the "double theme", since the themes are treated as different contests... (we already have trouble holding 1 theme)
    and also deadline was waaay too short. even mini-contests need at least 3 weeks to really happen. everyone has their time... we can't expect all the participants to be available in a short time interval...

3. Wandering Soul

Wandering Soul

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Recycling Themes from Previous Modeling Contest

I am still unable to participate in any Modeling Contest at the moment due to my commitment to several overdue Request that I have taken months ago (unfortunately)...
    However, I will make an exception if the next theme is to my favor...

If I may, I would like to suggest that the themes from previous Modeling Contests to be reused for the upcoming Mini Modeling Contest...
    This site has hosted 24 Modeling Contests (so far) and surely some of the themes can be recycled as the next Mini Modelling Contest theme...
    Below are the themes that has been used;

Previous Modeling Contest Theme
    01) Attachment Pack
    02) Creep Hero
    03) Citadel
    04) Mech/Robot
    05) Neutral Structure
    06) Halloween-style Unit/Doodad
    07) Siege Weapon
    08) Cavalry
    09) Flying Unit
    10) Elemental
    11) Chimera
    12) Female
    13) Building
    14) Morphing Unit
    15) Colossus
    16) Tank
    17) Air Unit
    18) Aberration
    19) Water Unit
    20) Campaign Screen
    21) Chess
    22) Mimic
    23) Three Tier Building
    24) Feel/Emotion (Latest/Recent Theme)

Now that I think about it, Halloween is coming up in two(2) months time...
    So how about reusing 'Halloween style Unit/Doodad' (Modeling Contest Theme #6) as the next theme...?

4. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    In my opinion, you shouldn't reuse an old theme, but make up something new instead, that might still fit into your theme, like what about a "holidays creature" contest (By "Holiday creature" I mean a creature from any kind of holiday - New year, Valentine, Easter, Halloween, Christmas - you name it)
    Not that my opinion is any important, I'm not even a modeler, but personally I think you should keep every contest unique :)

5. JollyD

JollyD

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I will be hapy of some castles ) for any race of fantasy creatures :) but it snth like grand-contest.

For mini contest theme I suggest:

1) Enchant \ Enslave special effect - special effect that symbolize that target will be your minion
    2) Darkness manipulation model\spec effect - smth like woodoo\puppet-style things
    3) Forbidden magic ^) - Creative thing, make some spell effect that was "Forbidden" by Grand Magicians

6. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i like your imaginative suggestions...

im specially attracted to the any fantasy race castle theme.

7. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't know the correct words to describe this, but wouldn't it be fun to have a mini-contest where you get 3? different models to choose from and you have to "re-dress" either 1 of them or all 3(i'm not sure how quick and easy it would be since i've never tried making a model/mesh/anything related to modeling :p)
    And ofcourse "re-dressing" them would involve new weapons/shield/armor etc...
    The judging could be based on stuff like how creative you've been/how different the model(s) look and did you manage to make it look natural/smooth etc.

The models could either be made specifically for this tournament(by a non-contestant ofcourse) or the host could ask someone if he could use his model(s) in this contest for this purpose....or....i guess a poll could be made, but still gotta ask all the creators first ofcourse ;)

I think this would make more ppl wanna join the contest since seemingly half the work is allready done and you get a source of inspiration from the resources you are supposed to use :) Also, idk about this, but i'm guessing more ppl would be able to join this type of contest than making a complete model with animations and stuff so we'd probably get some new contestants who usually wouldn't join ;)

8. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Attachment... Some kind of uber weapon

9. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Heroes are cool, iconic, and symbolize the epitome of whatever they are. One of the coolest "race-building tools" I use is making a hero-version of various units. Really makes things interesting in regards to creativity and what elements of that unit should be "turned up to 11", as it were.

My Idea:
    Have a "Hero Version of Existing Unit" contest. Contestants can choose any unit from anywhere in Melee TFT (i.e. not just the existing four melee factions, but any creep unit or what-not).

~~~

Alternatively, it'd be interesting to see a "Flesh Out A Race" contest, where contestants must pick a race (not necessarily a faction; again, any melee or creep "race") and model something it doesn't have. Unit, Hero, Building, Spells, Doodads; all of those could be modifiers on the basic idea.

10. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    nice. and for a regular contest, actually...

i vote this for mc #25

HEROISM or PROMOTION or CHAMPION (theme name suggestions)
    pick a tft melee non-hero unit and design a hero version of this unit.

sounds awesome to me... oh and im a bit drunk right now, so this post might be overdramatic

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Do it. And if someone does a (Jungle) Troll, Goblin, Naga, Pandaren, Forsaken... My love. Especially if it's a Troll.

Did I mention Jungle Trolls? :p

~~~

Then again, a corollary to that idea would be a contest called "Demotion": Create a unique unit model based off of an existing hero concept.

Haha. Peasant heroes & Paladin workers.

12. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Love the idea.

13. Elfansoer

Elfansoer

Resources:
    Resources:
    So, it's like we will make the Sorceress have stronger version of "Slow", or I named it "Slow Motion"...? and stuff like that? I like it...
    (Yeah, let's name this theme "Hero-ic unit", any disagrees?)

I think in TFT there is one of these "Promoted-Unit", that is Garithos (knight-based heroes, just add some detail in models and give "paladin" attribute...
    And for me, Lord Garithos himself is a knight...)

14. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    How about a remake of a warcraft 3 unit\hero?

15. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sounds like an Arena challenge, not a mini-contest. I like it, it has been a theme for Phoenix Trial as well.

16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Oh, I didn't know this would be a mini-contest. My idea might work better in a "normal" contest format, but it doesn't really matter.

More or less, though the more creativity the better. Since it's all visual, you'd basically take some aspect of the Sorceress & max it out, "hero-ize" her. Perhaps "Archmaiden", or "Mistress of Magic", or considering her regular spells (Slow, Invisibility, Polymorph), maybe "Illusionist".
    With that last one, then, you'd have this whole "eyes" motif to use in her armor/cape/staff/whatever. Maybe since everything has a staff, she could dual-wield wands.
    -EDIT-
    Oooh, actually, going with "Illusionist", you could do a sweet "phantom-of-the-opera"-style half-mask (or one of those theater "happy/sad" masks) that she wears or holds in one hand. Then her spells involve the mask somehow.

Maybe change things up and make a "Battle Mage Maiden", with a spiky chained Magic whip, or an Eye-mace.

I dunno, get crazy!

Exactly. He's like a hero-version of the Human Knight, with a twist of "self-serving jerk"/"bandit warlord". Black armor, wings on head, stubble, and replace the lance/sword with a huge double-bladed (enchanted) axe. New name: "Grand Marshal". Solid.

~~~

Wish I could post pictures, but examples might be a hero-version of:
    - the Goblin Sappers (like a "Bombardier" bombs, flamethrower, shield, burnt face, twitchy, crazed expression, etc)
    - the Troll Witch Doctor (like a "Headshrinker"; big cauldron, shrunken heads, potions, herbal remedies, crotchety grump, etc)
    - the Dwarf Rifleman (OH WAIT, ALREADY DONE)
    - the Tauren Spirit Walker (like a "Thaumaturge"; wizened burly Tauren caster, aligned with spirits, focused on resurrection, etc)
    - the Goblin Merchant! (like a "Tradeprince" or "Baron"; arrogant royalty, lush furs & capes, crown/top hat, monocle, expensive gilt staff... riding in a shrouded palanquin, or surrounded by adoring fans, etc)

Imagination runs wild. Plenty of other good options.

17. Da Fist

Da Fist

Resources:
    Resources:
    How about Shapeshifiters? Like, Druid of the Claw turns into a ?

Or, a Fel Festival! Fel, meaning the Fel Elves, Orcs etc. ( I like orcs)

Cheesiest Spellcaster!

The most erm, badass angel! Like, Heaven's Mini-Contest!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  18. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like Elf's and Kyrbi0's idea. Sufficiently simple, doesn't require much time or effort, and it's in general a very kick-ass theme. ^^
    Doesn't have to be a hero, either.

19. takakenji

takakenji

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    My Little Pony Models

20. Elfansoer

Elfansoer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, Kyrbio, that's just an example, and I have more "imagination" for it. Thanks for giving the Idea, and go on!
    (But there's something I want to ask, do we make another hero that is using an unit's model, OR we make another hero by upgrading the base unit's ability and stuff?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.