• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mini-Mapping Contest # 20 - Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Time for another mini-mapping contest? Let the theme discussion begin!

I suggest a mini RTS, with a small tech tree and small arena.

Alright, these are themes suggested so far (updated: 07-09-2022)

1. Mini RTS
  2. Hero Customization
  3. PVP Minigame
  4. Mini RPG
  5. Mini Defense Map against Zombies etc.
  6. Racing map
  7. Mini metroidvania
  8. Something Original - that doesn't fit any of Hive's current categories.

Last edited:
Level 11
I'd like to see a mini-mapping contest focused on hero customization. No real prescription on what type of map you make to support the hero customization, but just the requirement that the most primary mechanic in the game is your hero's customization. Hero defenses, RPGs, Hero areas, Custom Hero Survival-styles all seem like good options, but it would be cool to let each contestant pick what style of map they use to customize heros.

Regardless of theme, I'd like to propose that we should make the game be a 2-4 player game. The past couple mini-mapping contests have been single player which I feel like doesn't take advantage of the best part of WC3: playing with other people!

Last edited:
I'd like to see a mini-mapping contest focused on hero customization. No real prescription on what type of map you make to support the hero customization, but just the requirement that the most primary mechanic in the game is your hero's customization. Hero defenses, RPGs, Hero areas, Custom Hero Survival-styles all seem like good options, but it would be cool to let each contestant pick what style of map they use to customize heros.

Regardless of theme, I'd like to propose that we should make the game be a 2-4 player game. The past couple mini-mapping contests have been single player which I feel like doesn't take advantage of the best part of WC3: playing with other people!
I like this idea, although very vague (I hope that I have time this time around).
I haven't made a techtree either, so could be fun too!
I think this means that I don't have an actual opinion, as long as I can make fun custom abilities :p

Perhaps a little too vague for a contest theme?

The important part is the last part. It has to be something really original to a point where it doesn't fit any of the Hive's current categories.
But yeah, would make it hard for judges, as it would be a very varied set of maps as a result.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
The important part is the last part. It has to be something really original to a point where it doesn't fit any of the Hive's current categories.
But yeah, would make it hard for judges, as it would be a very varied set of maps as a result.
Can you give me some examples of something that doesn't fit any current categories? That would make it more clear.

Updated first post.

I'd guess the @The_Silent speaks... Ohh, I mean, the silence speaks for itself (never heard that joke before, I'm sure xD). Time to poll! (imo)
Ah, yeah. Too late, but I'm happy it were added anyway.

The theme is particularly about creativity. So mentioning to many examples would be kinda counter to the point.

But I guess some low hanging fruits might be a point-and-click map or an fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.