• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling mini-contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
128 tris is such a horrible thing to work with.
attachment.php

Yeah, but I love what you did with 128, imagine what you can do with 1024 :cool:

T.

Level 3
Subscribing.

Also, best thing I saw thus far is Anemic's fish. But the rest (especially HT's) look very promising.

Level 1
WIP - Escape Pod Station for Metastasis
Just need to work up a texture now

Attachments

• EscapePod-Wireframe.jpg
    EscapePod-Wireframe.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 362
Argh, this is all awesome. It makes no sense that I upload my crappy shit here. It would ruin the whole good standard. Good Job you all, I'm just not good enough for this competition, but I will try to make something better than my current crap. Time is running :p.
Don't say this in hope of pity because it doesn't work...
Everybody is free to upload any kind of crap. Upload yours.

Oh, yeah. That might be because no one does a proper texturing competition! DX
Lol, the thing is that you can do a 128 poly model with a 512x512 hi-res texture and kick everybody's ass. ;P

Level 1
Are you sure that's only 128 tris? Looks like a bit more than that.

You could also reduce some polies by just converting that door thing into one big triangle.

Currently I am using those triangles in the door to bump out and smooth shade it. I could potentially turn the door into two tris and use the other 8 tris to get more definition in the silhouette, however in doing this I will lose out on the benefits provided by the wc3 shading engine. If I was able to make bump or normal maps to re convey the lighting I would use a plane instead. However I am limited to only the diffuse map.

Besides, I'm not even sure where I would put those tris, as I am pretty satisfied with the model. If you have any insight as to how I might use them more effectively please do tell.

Attachments

• 4view.jpg
    4view.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 198
Level 4
Umm, I'm having a problem here.

Adding a replaceable texture to my model doubles its tricount. Is that supposed to be that way or am I doing something wrong? Or is it just a problem with the previewer?

Anyway, I dropped the previous model, just wasn't fitting to this kind of contest in my opinion, so heres the new one.

oldhag_wip1.pngoldhag_wip2.png

Polycount is 127 without teamcolorcrap

Umm, I'm having a problem here.

Adding a replaceable texture to my model doubles its tricount. Is that supposed to be that way or am I doing something wrong? Or is it just a problem with the previewer?

I know blizz's models just use two separate models on top of each other for the team color. You can get the same effect if you just use material layers though.

Level 4
Actual tri-count depends on the emission rate and particle lifespan, multiply those two, double the result and you have your emitters tri-count. (Not sure if there's other things that factor in, haven't found anything yet)

Level 28
OH!... I made it (breathes heavily).
Well the model is done but I have a little problem.
In my death alternate animation I have a particle. But in order to limit it to one I have to put it on emission rate 8 for 0.1 second to ensure the best result. But the only problem is that it doesn't show the first time I play the animation, and the first time is the time it plays when the unit dies. So I increased the emission rate to 10 so that it always shows, but every 6th or 7th time I play it the particle count LEAPS up to 2.
What I'm trying to say is that I hope it can be allowed since you really don't play the death alternate anim twice in game. The unit will be dead afterwards so there will only be one particle.

Level 31
OH!... I made it (breathes heavily).
Well the model is done but I have a little problem.
In my death alternate animation I have a particle. But in order to limit it to one I have to put it on emission rate 8 for 0.1 second to ensure the best result. But the only problem is that it doesn't show the first time I play the animation, and the first time is the time it plays when the unit dies. So I increased the emission rate to 10 so that it always shows, but every 6th or 7th time I play it the particle count LEAPS up to 2.
What I'm trying to say is that I hope it can be allowed since you really don't play the death alternate anim twice in game. The unit will be dead afterwards so there will only be one particle.

Find a place where you don't need ploies and shirk it down? If you got any flat planes, use a two sided material instead of an whole extra set of polies?

Level 28
Find a place where you don't need polies and shirk it down? If you got any flat planes, use a two sided material instead of an whole extra set of polies?

Well the two sided material thing is not really new and I have already spent some time cutting down on polies in order to finish the mesh. But now that you mention it there might be 4 polies I can remove.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Changes made and here is the model:
BEHOLD...
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? no it's...
A PIG
named Piggy Pilot
PiggyPreview.jpg
View attachment FlyingPig2.mdx
(now with attatchments)

Last edited:
Level 30
Well the two sided material thing is not really new and I have already spent some time cutting down on polies in order to finish the mesh. But now that you mention it there might be 4 polies I can remove.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Changes made and here is the model:
BEHOLD...
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? no it's...
a...
an*...
epic...
...ly awesome...
You should be negrepped for that retarded hiddentag spam. model looks allright though...

Status
Not open for further replies.