• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Mapping Contest #16 - Poll

Choose the best entry!

• Kingdom of Aragon - ZiBitheWand3r3r

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March of the Stormwarden - Abelhawk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

p_mini-png.311514
ct_mapping-png.311496
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
6-png.311479
thread_poll-png.311518

mm16img-png.343824

A mini mapping / level design contest with a focus on making beautiful, playable terrain, hero design and boss fights.
Contestants must create a short linear map with RPG elements, at least one well designed hero (no classic Warcraft 3 spells), a short backstory, at least one cinematic and one boss fight.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
  • A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points.
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points.
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points.
  • Entry: 5 reputation points.
  • Judge: 5 reputation points.
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_entries-png.311509

[tr][/tr][tr][/tr]

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

GameplayThe fun factor: Does the whole package create an enjoyable experience for the player? e.g. Are the spell effects satisfying, is there replayability, is the plot compelling, ...?/20
AestheticsIs it good looking terrain-wise? How polished are the details such as preview pictures, title, in-game texts and icons?/30
TriggersDoes the map run well performance-wise? Factors which influence this category are: efficiency of the triggers/coding, memory leaks, etc./10
/60

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on 01st of March 2020 and conclude on 15th of March 2020, before midnight GMT.

Assigned Staff: Mythic

Contest | Results

Last edited by a moderator:
In light of difficulties some have run into, I'd like to address anyone who still wishes to edit their submission:

You will be allowed to update your entry past this point, but you must inform us if you intend to, so the judges won't have to play your outdated one. There will be a cumulative penalty building up until your final map upload - starting at 1%, and adding 1% for each day, on top of the current penalty. That'll be 1% on the first day, 3% on the second, 6% on the third, 10% on the fourth, and so on. This will affect your final score.

The poll will not be paused, so you'll have to be quick. If someone plays your outdated entry and votes for someone else, there is nothing I can do.

Level 12
Note: I made a small update that fixed a couple of leftover debugging things I had forgotten to take out at the last minute. I know there are probably lots more errors, but I'll leave it for now since I won't have time to fix them until next week.

Level 24
I've jumped between versions 1.31 & 1.32 a few times, just takes time.
I am unaware of how much of a pain going back further though... (so far a large portion of your soul just to look at reforged main menu.)

Additionally some of these maps are absolutely breathtaking and well polished and you'd be missing out if you aren't taking at least a single play through, if not that then for the blood, sweat, and tears these talented users have spent.

Last edited:
Also, I told, I didn't vote for best entry, I just did because someone thought about poor people that can't have reforged or latest classic patch.
Then you should have showed your appreciation in the map thread, not by voting in a contest where you haven't played any of the submissions.

Level 29
@Devalut

I asume you judges will discount your vote in the final scoring.

Good luck everyone!

happened once in a contest before, poll was restarted.

@Mythic

a judge voted, whats the plan?, sugestion: a poll restart now may make life more simple later. That was done in the third melee mapping contest. (it means a lost of 5, now, votes and you can always vm those users to vote again).

You are right, so I want judge don't count my vote, this is good? Is this what keeps you happy?

You won't hurt my feelings that easy, kiddo, I'm always happy ;)

I'm just stating my opinion from a logical point of view though.

in terms of math (you have to re-math the thing in an excel) is not that easy to discount a vote, is only done when is clearly an illegal vote (IP sharing accounts).

a vote is legal even if the user did not played any map and only voted because of screens.

Last edited:
a vote is legal even if the user did not played any map and only voted because of screens.
I never said the vote is not legal, I only said that his vote is illogical. And he didn't vote because of screens, he voted because it was the only map he can play, which is a totally unreasonable ground to base a contest vote on.

I haven't asked him to withdraw his vote, or vote anything else, I simply stated my feelings on the matter.

Level 29
1-I never said the vote is not legal,
2-I only said that his vote is illogical.
3-And he didn't vote because of screens,
4-he voted because it was the only map he can play, which is a totally unreasonable ground to base a contest vote on.
5-I haven't asked him to withdraw his vote, or vote anything else,
6-I simply stated my feelings on the matter.

1- I never said that you said it was not legal.
2- wich I agree but , seriously I dont care. I got used to such votes, and have/see the same discussion in all polls is really boring and repetitive.
3- it was a common example,some people dont play the maps, they look the screens.
4- Wich I am aware. I can only recommend you to get used to unreasonable/ illogical votes.

5- I never said you did. but still the conversation ended to the user in question to state that he wants his vote to not be taken into account (by logic or guilt) (and you remained silent in that topic after the user stated to want the vote not taking into account) and I am just stating that is not something thaaat simple to be done.If the vote is legal (IP), thats it , shouldnt be removed even if is ilogic or /unreasonable. I just said something you did not in first place.

You are right, so I want judge don't count my vote, this is good? Is this what keeps you happy?
You won't hurt my feelings that easy, kiddo, I'm always happy ;)

I'm just stating my opinion from a logical point of view though.

6- I simply stated my opinion in this matter, pointing the re-math is not an easy task to both users engaged in the vote discussion, you have to literally (and sadly) manipulate all the poll numbers when a single vote needs to be deleted (wich is done if there is no other choise).

@WolfFarkas it will be excluded during calculation.

ah good to know thanks.

Last edited:
I never said that you said it was not legal.
Well you implied that someone said it as you felt the need to state that the vote wasn't illegal.
it was a common example,some people dont play the maps, they look the screens.
An example that wasn't applicable in this situation as the user clearly stated his reasoning behind the vote.
I never said you did.
Again, there's an implication in your statement as you felt the need to bring it up.
but still the conversation ended to the user in question to state that he wants his vote to not be taken into account (by logic or guilt) (and you remained silent in that topic after the user stated to want the vote not taking into account)
That is his own initiative.

Level 29
1-Well you implied that someone said it as you felt the need to state that the vote wasn't illegal.

2-An example that wasn't applicable in this situation as the user clearly stated his reasoning behind the vote.

3-Again, there's an implication in your statement as you felt the need to bring it up.

4-That is his own initiative.

1- No . no, and no, dont use word imply, you are speculating my reasons.
I implied because the user stated to want his vote to not be taken into account.

2-yes it was: vote because you played 1 map, or vote because you only saw screens, different ideas, but the situation is the same, the vote comes because you didnt play all the maps.

3- again, and again and again. you are speculating my reasons.

4- you never countered such Initiative, I did, I do, I am against such initiative. because of rules.

I am got huge tired of this topic, I dont wish to disccus any further, I dont care what you think or what you dont think, If I am rigth or If I am wrong, I got huge tired. in any case I will go inactive, so I wont post here anymore. I dont wish to. Post what you wish, but I dont want to post more

Last edited:
you are speculating my reasons.
Not really.
you are speculating my reasons.
Again, not really.
you never countered such Initiative, I did, I do, I am against such initiative. because of rules.
There is no need to counter such initiative as it's not against the rules. I, as a participant, am not allowed to influence the results. Telling people to not withdraw their vote would still be an attempt at influencing votes. I stated my opinion from an objective point of view, so if you don't like logic then I guess at least we can agree to disagree.
I am got huge tired of this topic
Then I think you should take a nap so you wake up refreshed, ready to take on a new day with new challenges ;)

Level 18
I've been working on making the reforged maps compatible with 1.31, so I and others who stick to old wc3 versions can enjoy them as well.
For some reason when I try to play them with -loadfile it won't work, but selecting the map through the ingame menu works no problem, so that kinda wasted 2 hours of my life trying to debug.

Before I share these edited maps though, there are two things to consider.
First, I'd like permission from the authors @lolreported @Ungoliath @Abelhawk to upload an edited version of their entries.
Second, I want to ask, is it allowed for me to upload these maps (contest rules)? Even though I'm not the original author, the deadline for submitting the contest entries has already passed.

I've been working on making the reforged maps compatible with 1.31, so I and others who stick to old wc3 versions can enjoy them as well.
For some reason when I try to play them with -loadfile it won't work, but selecting the map through the ingame menu works no problem, so that kinda wasted 2 hours of my life trying to debug.

Before I share these edited maps though, there are two things to consider.
First, I'd like permission from the authors @lolreported @Ungoliath @Abelhawk to upload an edited version of their entries.
Second, I want to ask, is it allowed for me to upload these maps (contest rules)? Even though I'm not the original author, the deadline for submitting the contest entries has already passed.
This is something @Mythic will have to decide, but if I'm gonna give my 2cents I'd say it's fine as long as the only thing you do is make them playable in 1.31 (not fixing bugs, errors, performance, optimization etc).

Level 21
My map was one of the maps affected by gamebreaking bugs mentioned here:

In light of difficulties some have run into, I'd like to address anyone who still wishes to edit their submission:

You will be allowed to update your entry past this point, but you must inform us if you intend to, so the judges won't have to play your outdated one. There will be a cumulative penalty building up until your final bundle edit - starting at 1%, and adding 1% for each day, on top of the current penalty. That'll be 1% on the first day, 3% on the second, 6% on the third, 10% on the fourth, and so on. This will affect your final score.

The poll will not be paused, so you'll have to be quick. If someone plays your outdated entry and votes for someone else, there is nothing I can do.

These issues got fixed this morning (march 3), so that is the version that I would like people to try out.

If this new version was made available for patch 1.31 - without sacrificing anything - then that would be awesome! I would of course like the 1.31 version to exist on the original resource page.

Level 18
This is something @Mythic will have to decide, but if I'm gonna give my 2cents I'd say it's fine as long as the only thing you do is make them playable in 1.31 (not fixing bugs, errors, performance, optimization etc).
My tool currently downgrades the .w3i, .doo, and .w3s files (the last two are WE-only so that doesn't really make a difference). I also manually edit the script file to include the following:
JASS:
function BlzCreateItemWithSkin takes integer itemid, real x, real y, integer skinId returns item
    return CreateItem(itemid, x, y)
endfunction

function BlzCreateUnitWithSkin takes player id, integer unitid, real x, real y, real face, integer skinId returns unit
    return CreateUnit(id, unitid, x, y, face)
endfunction

function BlzCreateDestructableWithSkin takes integer objectid, real x, real y, real face, real scale, integer variation, integer skinId returns destructable
    return CreateDestructable(objectid, x, y, face, scale, variation)
endfunction

function BlzCreateDestructableZWithSkin takes integer objectid, real x, real y, real z, real face, real scale, integer variation, integer skinId returns destructable
    return CreateDestructableZ(objectid, x, y, z, face, scale, variation)
endfunction

function BlzCreateDeadDestructableWithSkin takes integer objectid, real x, real y, real face, real scale, integer variation, integer skinId returns destructable
    return CreateDeadDestructable(objectid, x, y, face, scale, variation)
endfunction

function BlzCreateDeadDestructableZWithSkin takes integer objectid, real x, real y, real z, real face, real scale, integer variation, integer skinId returns destructable
    return CreateDeadDestructableZ(objectid, x, y, z, face, scale, variation)
endfunction
Some maps include other 1.32 natives than the ones above (for example: CreateCommandButtonEffectBJ), which I simply delete. I obviously won't be doing any bugfixing, the downgrade may actually introduce bugs ^^.

My map was one of the maps affected by gamebreaking bugs mentioned here:

These issues got fixed this morning (march 3), so that is the version that I would like people to try out.

If this new version was made available for patch 1.31 - without sacrificing anything - then that would be awesome! I would of course like the 1.31 version to exist on the original resource page.
I'll make sure to use the newer version then.

Level 18
Hmm I'm not sure how good that is then, as bugs may affect people's decisions when voting.
When I say bugs I mostly mean visually (incorrect or missing models/textures), since 1.31 and earlier does not support skins (which is why I declare CreateXWithSkin functions in the map script to downgrade them) and there may also be issues with object editor files. There shouldn't really be code bugs introduced, since not many 1.32 natives are used in the maps, apart from the one I mentioned.

Level 18
Hi. You may not upload your edits. There is no way to determine whether or not you modified them outside of compatibility.
I understand your concern, but it's really not hard to compare the original and edited script files with an online diff checker. I can also turn off the downgrade for editor-only files, so the only changed files are the .j and the .w3i, for all other files you will see they're exactly the same as before.

EDIT: Dropping a link just in case I don't get permission to upload the maps (you need visual studio to run the tool).

Last edited:

You will be allowed to update your entry past this point, but you must inform us if you intend to, so the judges won't have to play your outdated one. There will be a cumulative penalty building up until your final bundle edit - starting at 1%, and adding 1% for each day, on top of the current penalty. That'll be 1% on the first day, 3% on the second, 6% on the third, 10% on the fourth, and so on. This will affect your final score.

I have updated my map and will need to be penalized according to the guidelines you set in place.

Level 21
Question: are we still allowed to update the description on the resource page without it affecting our score? Like adding video clips, disclaimers, etc. I'm asking because as far as I know there's no way of telling if we updated the map as well, right? It just tells you when the page was updated.

Level 21
Aside from this bug I haven't noticed anything else since my last map update on march 3. There may be a fix for an item that was not working properly, but I don't remember if that fix was already implemented in my previous update. I've been cleaning up a lot, so it should at least perform better than the last one.

It's the one now available at the resource page

Status
Not open for further replies.