• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Development: The Scourging of Azeroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
You could add Gilneas as a mastery for the Silver Hand that reconnects the order with Gilneas, adding in Liam Greymane as a paladin, Crowley as a gunner, and King Greymane as a aura-beast, as long as giving it new lands (at the cost of Tyr's Hand), new income, new units, and a new tech-tree?

Level 11
@Aztec_devil2000: Sorry, I am rather confused by what you said, haha. Could you clarify?
@Lord_Cat: Oh, well Gilneas is already implemented as a faction, if you did not see that on the main page :)

Level 11
Hey everyone, I am sure I have mentioned it before, but I would like to reiterate that I would like this map to be unpredictable. No 2 games are supposed to be the same. One way to accomplish this is to have many different pathways and 'forks in the road' for each individual faction as they interact with themselves and other factions.
So, I was thinking I would start creating an 'Interaction Web' that displays the different pathways that a faction can take AND how each faction is related to each other! This way, we can also see if a faction is unrelated, and if so, we will fix that and add something into the map so that they are connected!

Level 8
Will this be a build-em-up like Azeroth Wars/DAOW, a map like WoW Risk where you get bases that can be captured/recaptured or a spawn based map? Also I really think this idea is pretty awesome and I love the idea of replayability.

However, I would consider making some faction-alliance restrictions to balance out those strong evil factions from allying good and also sticking to lore. Additionally game-modes for the host to pick might be nice so the host can actually pick something that he wants. These could include a variety of ideas similiar to WoW Risk where you can pick fixed alliances, free alliances, min of 1 ally or FFA. Additionally scenario's could be picked such as "The Shattering" which would move the map straight to Cataclysm and have one player (deathwing) start with all his masteries of evil, or a HvA mode where it is fixed alliance, 6 v 6, and the horde and alliance factions must not only fight against each other, but against threats such as the Lich King, Illidan etc.

The only thing I believe could be improved upon is terrain as it looks a bit bland, but other then that I really love the idea of this map, good luck with it :)

Level 11
I actually really like your idea bout the different types of scenarios...I think that is soemthing that could be addressed/implemented in future versions!
And yes, this map is similar to Azeroth Wars and DAoW, but I hope it outpaces those. I always find those games to be predictable. They always seem to follow a similar pathway.
And yeah, I agree about the faction-alliance restrictions. Some factions cannot allies others. In addition, events, masteries, certain alliances, etc, can change who certain factions can ally.

Speaking of which, did I tell everyone bout one of the global event pathways that i was thinking of, modeled after the Hour of Twilight?

Level 10
I absolutely love this type of map and I hope it succeeds.

As for the demon race, I often find that demons use far too few imports and end up looking the same across all maps in which they are a race.

I put together a collection of models that are demon themed (in my signature). It might help, dunno.

Level 11
I am very pleased to inform everyone that the map is under development again! If you didn't know, it was on hold for about 3 months (as a result of school).
But now that break is started, I can start working on it again! Terrain is the largest part of my work so far...Northrend (as some of you know) is done, while Outland is nearing completion!!

Level 11
@Aztec: Im not sure when that will be, there is still a lot I am working on right now before the finer details of the terrain can be worked on
@ColourCloud: Thanks! :)

Level 2
I think a "Satyrdom" or something mastery for the Night Elves would be cool. Converts all night elves into satyrs, makes Faldran a hero, perhaps allows you to summon Archimonde to the World Tree if he isn't already summoned?

I dunno.

Level 11
@Lord Cat: Aw yes. The Satyrs are already a race, so I can't necessarily implement that exactly, but I definitely could incorporate some aspect of that into the existing satyr race! Also, I should update the Mastery section (seeing as it is missing some races)
@Aztec: Whenever you want I suppose, haha. I started mine the moment I started making the map

Level 8
Hm I don't think that a night elf Satyr mastery is good, as it's probably a clone of DAOW and I doubt they would really be night elves then. Instead to keep to lore realism and show the conflicts in society you could have these, A) Those Highbourne dudes could be reincoroprated into society but lose the Arch Druid Fandrel, B) Corrupted Nelves of sorts, believer in Fandrel and lose Tyrande but gain powerful druids that use "corrupt-ish" spells to forced ents to join them and maybe some Crazed Furblogs, C) Spirits of the Ancients which would create the traditional night elven society which would grand Cenarius and co. from the emreld dream (after you save the dream?) but lose Fandrel and the Highbourne would be minor.

Level 11
@Levdragon: That is a very good point. I have a Mastery very similar to your first point already called "Arcanica Renewal." I also have something similar to your third point point, which incorporates the Ancients. I was thinking of incorporating your second point as an event that the Night Elves could go through.
Yet, you made me think of something for the Masteries. Initially, they were merely researched (except with a few). Except, now, I am thinking that it might be a cool thing if a few events or requirements must be met before the Mastery can be researched. Might make it more realistic and will help to highlight the struggles within the respective societies/cultures/factions/races, as you pointed out
@Lembidi: Thank you very much! :)

Level 2
Hm I don't think that a night elf Satyr mastery is good, as it's probably a clone of DAOW and I doubt they would really be night elves then. Instead to keep to lore realism and show the conflicts in society you could have these, A) Those Highbourne dudes could be reincoroprated into society but lose the Arch Druid Fandrel, B) Corrupted Nelves of sorts, believer in Fandrel and lose Tyrande but gain powerful druids that use "corrupt-ish" spells to forced ents to join them and maybe some Crazed Furblogs, C) Spirits of the Ancients which would create the traditional night elven society which would grand Cenarius and co. from the emreld dream (after you save the dream?) but lose Fandrel and the Highbourne would be minor.

..But Satyrs ARE corrupted night elves.

Level 8
Yes but they were corrupted a long time ago by the demon lords, it's unlikely that the night elves will go through something similar like that and I believe Silver has already made a Satyr race or a race that already has factions.

Level 11
@Lord Cat: Yeah, I already have the Satyrs as a race by themselves, so they will be featured in the game. Although I don't think I will have Night Elves able to turn into Satyrs. If I were to have it be possible, it would be a decently long quest-line which would help detail how it could occur (as opposed to just randomly having them all turn into satyrs)
@Da Troll: I am hoping to have some simple triggers do the work for me. They will be hostile as pointed out by Levdragon. Depending on which factions are not chosen, every so often, they will spawn units and have a lil army attack neighboring enemies. That way it does not feel as if the units are there for the slaughter

Level 8
Oh silver a question, how are heroes going to work, will it be like one of those wow thingies where you get only a single hero that is your king, or will you get Lore Heroes from the real game such as Anduin, Bolvar etc. if your Azeroth.

Level 10
Oh silver a question, how are heroes going to work, will it be like one of those wow thingies where you get only a single hero that is your king, or will you get Lore Heroes from the real game such as Anduin, Bolvar etc. if your Azeroth.

I'm kinda curious about that, myself. I hope it's kind of in between those two because there are a lot of lore heroes.

Level 11
You will get lore heroes. Yet, some lore heroes are only obtainable through certain events, Masteries, etc.
So, for example, the Tauren start out with Cairne Bloodhoof as their hero. Yet, through a number of events, they can get Baine Bloodhoof, Magatha Grimtotem, etc.

Also, in terms of power, I'd like the heroes' power to come form their spells/abilities, as opposed to their attack damage/stats. Stats are important of course, but I do not want SoA to turn into a hero wars. Also, because I want to avoid the game turning into a hero wars, heroes will be non-revivable (they get 1 ankh).

Level 11
Silverfish423, i'm kinda proud of what i have done with my new loadingscreen/minimap, if you like this maybe you should ask me to make something like that for you :), its 100% my work had to use photoshop cs4. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Level 11
Hey guys, sorry for the short absence. I was away for the holidays and didn't have access to internet. Anyways, back to work! :)
@Aztec: Nice! When the time comes, we'll see what you can do :)

Level 8
I like the loading screen aztec, good work, but I'm not sure I get why the minimap says, "Arena"? Is that just temp. text which will be replaced with the Scourging of Azeroth?

I can't wait for this map to be released, keep up the good work!

Level 11
Just here to tell you that maybe you should join my clan @uswest, we have a new member who is wanting to create his on awesome spawn rpg, which is exactly like this. He has also made a few in the past.

I also currently run the most active map making clan @uswest, and probably the entire battle.net. I am also giving you an invitation to it :) You don't have to accept it but a wise man would,

Clan mK, Mapping Kingdom. (mappingkingdom.tk)

Level 8
I would kindly join however I am already Chieftain of my own clan on USEast, and the most active clans are probably those Euro ones. Anyway when you say wanting to create an awesome spawn rpg, I thought this was a strategy game :eek: I hope by this you don't mean to abandon this map because your friend is doing it?

Level 11
@eubz: Thanks for your kind words and support! It is greatly appreciated

To everyone, school has been in full swing for me now for almost a whole week, and so I have been extremely busy. I also have taken up a few more extra-curricular activities, so just as this was put on hold (for the most part) during my previous school session, this map will go on hold for a number of weeks more again. When I get time, I will work on it, but it will not occur regularly. Yet, feel free to keep commenting on here because I will still have manageable access to Hive.
Thanks again everyone! I can't wait for when this map is finished :)

Level 11
@ImperialShadow: Thanks bud!

@Everyone: So I have been so busy these past few weeks...there has been literally no time to work on the map, as I predicted. But in a few weeks I'll be on break and I'll have slightly over a week to work on it. So hopefully then I'll get some stuff done!
Thanks for the continued support! I greatly appreciate it :)

Level 24
Why does it say Nozdormu and the Infinite Dragonflight sholdn't it say Murozond and the Infinite Dragonflight?

Level 8
I think we can expect to wait until the end of the year for full completion, Silver has popped in 3 days ago but I think he's probably busy with things in real life. I also suggest that main continents are maybe doubled, or tripled in size at least and brought in closer together, but that's just my opinion :p

Level 11
Hey everyone! Yes, I actually have been very busy (as Levdragon said). School has taken up a large amount of my time and I recently got a job, so that has also taken up some time. But I actually managed to get some free-time and worked on the map on 3 different occasions in the past 2 weeks. I actually have Outland (in terms of base terrain) completed for the most part.

@Takakenjii: I am going to go do some homework right now, but if I get it completed before my next class, I will take some pictures of the new Outland zones and upload them! =)
@lowe1994: You have a very good point. Back when I made the map and was working on that section, Cata had not come out yet (atleast not dragon soul). But you are right, since that information is now available, I should update it. I will do that. Thanks!
@Levdragon: I see what you mean on the continents. Well I think youll be pleased to know that thanks to a new mapping program, I have about doubled the size of everything (well, working on it. It takes a lot of work to increase the size of everything while keeping scales in proportion and changing things that can now be implemented since more room is available). The continents wont necessarily be closer, but they will be bigger (including units and such)!
@Aztec_devil: I have been extremely busy dude....the reason I hadn't gotten your help yet was because I had been busy with school and so I hadn't finished the base stuff yet. Once the base was completed, then you guys could work on stuff. Speaking of which, you wanted to work on terrain, right?
@ExMortis: I would very much appreciate that! If I remember correctly, Aztec also wanted to work on terrain. If my memory is true, maybe you two would like to collaborate?

Level 2
I just been looking at Tauren lore because I wanted to come up with a suggestion because I think this map will be awesome :D.

The Taurens took credit for the meeting of both of Cenarius' parents, which ultimately meant Cenarius' birth. So possibly if the Taurens and the Night Elves ally, the Taurens could could either get:

-To Recruit tier 2 druids (Talon & Claw) (One upgrade, not mastery) or...
-A small worldwide buff, elunes blessing, increasing each unit with 5% evasion and 5% defence from piercing attacks.
This could be removed when they unally themselves with each other.

Level 8
I just been looking at Tauren lore because I wanted to come up with a suggestion because I think this map will be awesome :D.

The Taurens took credit for the meeting of both of Cenarius' parents, which ultimately meant Cenarius' birth. So possibly if the Taurens and the Night Elves ally, the Taurens could could either get:

-To Recruit tier 2 druids (Talon & Claw) (One upgrade, not mastery) or...
-A small worldwide buff, elunes blessing, increasing each unit with 5% evasion and 5% defence from piercing attacks.
This could be removed when they unally themselves with each other.

Not a bad idea.

Level 11
@Aztec_Devil: I understand and appreciate that, but the map simply was not/has not been ready for anyone else. I want to get the base done before anyone works on the finishing touches
@dwarf guardian: Very interesting....hmmmm. Perhaps there could be a connection between the Night Elf mastery 'Chosen of Elune' and the Tauren mastery 'Recognition of An'she', since Elune and An'she are the goddess/god of moon/sun. So perhaps with both of those masteries, they could unite or something as you were saying....
I like your idea, give me some time to think it over and think of a cool way to have it connected. One of the things I am working on in this game is to stray away from just clicking upgrades to gain something. I like things to have requirements and such that lead to mini-quests, allows for alliances, etc. Essentially, I like people to be connected even when they are not fighting. Keeps things interesting and new :)
@ExMortis: agreed, haha!

Btw guys, here are some pics!! (they are WIP....work in progress)

Another thing: I like to do features, which are posts I make of a unit, mastery, hero, etc, to give you a sneak peak into some new development I have created. It keeps things fresh, keeps you guys excited, keeps me on track, and sometimes I gain new/different inspiration by doing this. So I am going to work on a new feature right now!

Attachments

• Drakkari Starting Zone (WIP).jpg
    Drakkari Starting Zone (WIP).jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Grim Batol Starting Zone (WIP).jpg
    Grim Batol Starting Zone (WIP).jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 1,533
  • Undercity Starting Zone (WIP).jpg
    Undercity Starting Zone (WIP).jpg
    235 KB · Views: 366
  • Blade Edge Mountain (WIP).jpg
    Blade Edge Mountain (WIP).jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 1,896
  • Hellfire Peninsula (WIP).jpg
    Hellfire Peninsula (WIP).jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 336
  • Nagrand (WIP).jpg
    Nagrand (WIP).jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Netherstorm (WIP).jpg
    Netherstorm (WIP).jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Shadowmoon Valley (WIP).jpg
    Shadowmoon Valley (WIP).jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 809
  • Terokkar Forest (WIP).jpg
    Terokkar Forest (WIP).jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 1,285
Level 11
Hey guys, quick question....do you think that Northrend should be bigger? They are on the same scale, so that is their size compared to each other (Northrend seems to be half the size).
Let me know please, thanks!

Attachments

• Outland.jpg
    Outland.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 1,598
  • Northrend.jpg
    Northrend.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 372
Status
Not open for further replies.