• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Development: The Scourging of Azeroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello. I am Silverfish423, a member of TheHiveWorkShop for about half a year. This is my first serious map development. This is an update from my other Scourging of Azeroth map. However, it completely changed so a new post is needed.

Map Name: The Scourging of Azeroth

Creator: Silverfish423
Co-Creator: Ucantwin

Current Stage of Map: Beta?

Summar of Map Gameplay/Objectives:: So this is a 12 player Conquest style game. Your goal is to take over Azeroth and have you be the ruling player. The game takes place after the events of TFT (with one exception of the leader of the Silver Hand, I wanted to change it, give it my own twist :thumbs_up:). 17 races are able to be chosen:

Red- The Silver Hand- Lord Reveles
Blue- The Forsaken- Sylvanas, Varimathras, Faranell
Teal- The Naga- Azshara, Illidan
Purple- The Night Elves- Malfurion, Tyrande
Yellow- The Tauren- Cairne
Orange- The Orcs- Thrall, Vol'jin
Green- The Burning Legion- Azgalor
Brown- The Burning Legion- Avatar of Sargeras, Lord Kazzak
Gray- The Scourge- Anub'arak
Light Blue- The Scourge- The Lich King, Kel'Thuzad
Dark Green/Pink*- Nozdormu/Infinite Dragonflight, Deathwing/Twilight Dragonflight, Ironforge, Stormwind, The Gurubashi Empire, C'thun/Silithid, Ragnaros/Dark Iron Dwarves

*Pink and Dark Green each choose one of these options as the race that they play as.

I am thinking of adding some triggers that will place units into the places of the optional units that are not chosen upon gameplay. I am hoping that the trigger will give commands to the units as well so it will seem as if players are playing them as well. This will balance it out so one person doesnt just rip through one part of the continent because no one is there.

Now it is not so definite as it may seem. Triggers can affect almost each faction into changing them into something else.

Silver Hand- By destroying and taking over Stratholme and the Ebon Hold, the Silver Hand can unite with the Argent Dawn to create the Argent Crusade. In addition, Tirion Fordring with the Ashbringer will be a new hero added along with maybe 1 or 2 new units.

Forsaken- Can research the Super Plague which is added onto all units. Sylvanas will leave the forsaken, along with 2 other units, but new units will be available in return as will Putress. If the Forsaken ally the Silver Hand, they will lose Varimathras.

Naga- The naga, after 10 minutes of gameplay, can start to summon Neptulon the Tidehunter. Takes a few minutes to summon and is a very powerful hero. New units are also available upon summon as are new spells.

Night Elves- If the Night Elves gain control over all Emerald Gateways, they can train Green Dragons. Also, if he Night Elves ally the Burning Legion, they will turn into Satyrs. However, malfurion and tyrande will leave the Night Elves.

Orcs- Azgalor can offer the bloodpact to Thrall. Thrall will automatically decline, but an orc named Neeru Fireblade will be intrigued. If orange accepts, he loses Orgrimmar and the non-fel orcs and gains Fel Orcs in Outland with Azgalor commanding new demons in outland as well. Neeru Fireblade will be leading the fel orcs. After 10 minutes of gameplay, if the orcs have not accepted a blood pact, get Rexxar and Stonemaul ogres.

Tauren- The tauren start off as literrally Cairne and 3 other tauren units. You have to fight your way through centaurs and finally kill a centaur khan. After killing this khan, you will gain the city of Thunder Bluff and become a true formidable player in the world.

Azgalor- Ally of the Burning Legion. He will have normal demon units unless the bloodpact is accepted by the orcs. If this happens, he will be moved to Outland with demons and the fel orcs under his command. However, I added a little twist and made it that Azgalor is sickened by all of the Legion's failures at conquering Azeroth and losing so many high ranking officials and wants to do it himself and topple the Burning Legion, so he will lose the alliance with the Burning Legion if he completes the blood pact.

Avatar of Sargeras- Not much can change with brown. Only main thing is that if HE controls the World Tree, all units of him will be able to gain an extra upgrade, so the World Tree is very valuable to the Legion. However, if Azgalor leaves the Legion to go with the fel orcs, he loses control of Pit Lords.

Anub'arak- After 10 minutes of gameplay, Anub'arak is given the choice of leaving the Scourge and becoming somewhat alive again. This is only able to happen because of the influence of a powerful being......If anub'arak does leave the scourge, he will gain control of the living nerubians and be able to summon Yogg-Saron.

Lich King- If the Lich King gains control of Wyrmrest Temple, he can start the training of new, powerful flying creatures (Emberwyrms and Magmawyrms). If he gains control of the Nexus, Frost Wyrms can be upgraded into Frostbroods. If he gains control of Drak'tharon Keep, the barbaric Vrykul can be trained. So, Northrend is VERY valuable to the Lich King.

~~~For the other optional races, I have not thought of anything creative for them yet except for the Gurubashi Empire and the Iron Dwarves, and it is quite basic:

Iron Dwarves- Ragnaros can be summoned 6 minutes into the game, and if summoned, access to new units, a hero (Ragnaros) and other spell upgrades are available.

Gurubashi Empire- The Blood God, Hakkar, can be summoned if the Gurubashi Empire controlls the Sunken Temple as well as Zul'Gurub. If Hakkar is summoned, new units and spells will be available.

I am also thinking of adding general upgrades similar to the "mastery upgrades" in Azeroth Wars. They inspired me to do something similar, but I will have my own unique ideas for it. I will post my ideas for it as soon as I come up with a few for every single one.

Map Features: Customized units, triggers, unique models, skins, icons (of TheHiveWorkShop), etc.

Pictures of certain factions and other stuff are located at the bottom for your perusal. The map is also attached and will be updated periodically as I work on it.

P.S. The map is unprotected, so under NO circumstances may you change it without my approval. Thank you.

Edit: If you look into the map, you will probably notice certain stuff is missing, heroes have crazy high health/dmg, etc. The reasons for this are:
1. I have not completed making everything
2. Some stuff is very powerful for testing purposes

So do not worry, the heroes will not be overly powerful

:infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up: :infl_thumbs_up:

Attachments

• Anub'arak.jpg
    Anub'arak.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 555
  • Azgalor.jpg
    Azgalor.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 672
  • Burning Legion.jpg
    Burning Legion.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 6,038
  • Cairne.jpg
    Cairne.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 508
  • Lich King.jpg
    Lich King.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 587
  • Kel'Thuzad.jpg
    Kel'Thuzad.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 760
  • Lord Reveles.jpg
    Lord Reveles.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 450
  • Malfurion.jpg
    Malfurion.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 603
  • Naga.jpg
    Naga.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 3,477
  • Orgrimmar.jpg
    Orgrimmar.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 2,113
  • Thunder Bluff.jpg
    Thunder Bluff.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 855
  • Scourging of Azeroth Remade! Test.w3x
    3 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Level 21
I'll give you my comment about map some other time but for now.

For income you should make regions. Every region would have circle which will generate gold every periodic time. Region would be gained by walking over it.
-the idea is from map called Azeroth wars which is very similar (only difference is that you use WoW lore)

Also you could make world events. Like every race should have goal to do so they would get better hero or something.

Also merge orcs and taurens so you could separate dark green and pink. Sound like they have advantage by having the choice.

Level 11
I'll give you my comment about map some other time but for now.

For income you should make regions. Every region would have circle which will generate gold every periodic time. Region would be gained by walking over it.
-the idea is from map called Azeroth wars which is very similar (only difference is that you use WoW lore)

Also you could make world events. Like every race should have goal to do so they would get better hero or something.

Also merge orcs and taurens so you could separate dark green and pink. Sound like they have advantage by having the choice.

I know about azeroth wars and DAoW. i do not want it where you control one CP and you control the income of the whole place. i want it where you must have control over the majority of the region in order to gain the benefits. this also stops annoying stuff like invisible dreadlord running around stealing your CPs.

If you want, I will add what can happen to each faction (that I have planned) that leads to different heroes, units, etc. I do not want to merge the taurens and orcs because I do not to MAKE their destiny intertwined. i want players to truly create their own WC story. however, they are still able to ally eachother if they want.

how would dark green and pink get an advantage by choosing? all of the other player slots (in a sense) get to choose their players and such, just that theirs are definite. (btw, the naga and a bunch of other stuff should balance out what dark green and pink choose)

@campir Aw, yes....stupid slopes, i will fix that! :thumbs_up: thanks for pointing that out

Level 21
Because other players can't now what race they have until it is to late. Also Dwarves are kinda important so they do deserve their slot. Of course this is only up to you.

As for region control do you mean something like from board game Risk? Where you had to control more then one territory to get bonus gold. Then you would need to controll unit group or something like that.

Also 3.14 is big size for 12 player map. Maybe try to cut on something?

Level 11
oh, I see what you mean about the races. naw, the naga and other triggers should be able to balance out anything like that, but testing will play its role in that as well.

no, not like risk. more like instead of one CP that gives 15g/ 1 min (which is the DAoW or Azeroth wars income way) mine has several gold sites or lumber sites which give 5g/30 sec (the lumber and gold sites both give lumber, but i may change that to eliminate confusion). i dont want an invisible dreadlord running around stealing CPs...that is so annoying lol >.<

Edit: Is there a way to make the filesize of your map smaller? cuz the reason it is at 3.14 is because of imported stuff.

Last edited:
Level 11
o ya. the military focus isnt just on getting 8 upgrades on ur units and massing. defences, towers, balanced units, etc, will all be important. towers are expensive, but are strong. 2-4 towers guarding a chokehold will be sufficient instead of 12 or 16 towers

Level 11
yes, he is the non undead anub'arak. it is involved in something that can happen with Anub'arak. i will post what he can the other factions can do right now. uhm, how do i add hero glow to those heroes that dont have it?

Level 11
ooh, that would be very cool. i am almost done with the naga, so i will post the updated map when i get the naga done....but i have homework and other stuff to do, so the updated map may be posted tonight or something like that.

Level 11
Ok, the naga are now mostly complete, so test them! (Teal)

P.S.- There are gold and lumber items at the start so you can test the units because there is no income trigger yet. Also, there is no main building (like Temple of the Tides) that trains workers yet because that is where the "masteries" are going to be, and I have not come up with all of them yet for the naga. Other than that, they are ready for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.