• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Development: The Scourging of Azeroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Here is the new Northrend!!!

162143-albums4377-picture50255.jpg

The first thing that I believe could be adjusted is the borders between different areas (this applies to different areas within each zone). For example, Crystalsong Forest: there are three distinct areas in this zone and at the edge of each there is almost a straight line separating it from the next. You could try placing the tiles in a more jagged fashion to give it a more natural blend.

I also believe that some of the areas look quite empty (this could be to accommodate the size of large armies are such though, in which case that's fine). For one, Coldarra could use some sort of structure in the center to represent the Nexus. Grizzly Hills might look better with the tiles used in Howling Fjord. It looks rather dark at the moment. Some more trees might be nice too. If you're concerned with space, you could make a new doodad that uses the tree model, remove the pathing, and scale them down so that you can have a more realistic amount of them and space them out as you please (they won't have to be placed on the grid if you remove the pathing). Crystalsong Forest could use a few trees as well. Dragonblight and Storm Peaks don't have much except bones and the odd mountain here and there, but I suppose in World of Warcraft it isn't all that different. There is a forest in southern Dragonblight though. That could be added. You could always throw in some of your own creative touch as well.

Some ruins or small decorative structures to fill some more space, where trees just won't cut it, may prove to be a nice addition as well. This particularly applies to Zul'Drak, Icecrown, and Storm Peaks (Ulduar).

ANYWAYS, that's me being critical, so feel free to agree and disagree as you please. While writing the above, I didn't entirely consider the presence of controllable structures, so I imagine they could take up plenty of room and make half of the above pointless or even cause the map to be cluttered.

Level 11
Oh yes, I definitely see your point and you make a good one. I will definitely revisit the areas that you outlined and see what I can do to include your suggestions in one way or another.
And yeah, units and controllable buildings will take up quite a bit of space and make some aesthetic detail mute. However, more probably can be added to make it look better. So I will definitely look into it.
I will take a new picture of each region specifically and show you guys what it is like after I briefly touch them up

@Aztec: Lol, not yet. I only redid Northrend, I still have to redo Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, Outland, and the miscellaneous dungeons, caves, etc

Level 11
I should probably save every 15 or 30 minutes. I have a problem of saving after the end of a large work or when I have to leave, so that may be after several hours.

Level 11
Hey, who is talented or is interested in creating a video for SoA? I have noticed other Map Development threads have a video that portrays and displays various aspects, such as gameplay, of their respective map.
So, I'd like to do the same for SoA. Anyone interested?

Level 11
What do you mean =o?

I thought it was just creating a little movie through the map and all i'll do is record it in HD with fraps. Thats how I did StarGate Universe movie clip.
Edit: Can't come on to gameranger,
1. It was removed when i reformatted.
2. I'm currently posting this at school.

Level 11
what I mean by 'we'll take video of gameplay' is to take video of players actually playing the game.
So for example, we'd take a video of a battle going on between 2 players. A video of a player constructing his base. A video of a hero and a few units traversing the 'beautiful' terrain :)
stuff like that. That way, a player can watch the video and be able to gather what he or she should expect from SoA

Level 11
But wouldn't it be the same for a normal cintromatic? The cintromatic can take all those. I displayed that in my SGU clip, showing that there will be air battles, escaping battles where a player will be running to the stargate to dial home. Not knowen that the enemy could be going to there homeplanet. It doesn't show everything, but it shows enough. But i guess its your map your idea, but i just think its more organisied when it was made like that, like music playing with the movement of the camera but hmmk.

Level 11
No, cause with a cinematic, I have to trigger every camera angle. If I do it ingame, I just move around when I want the video to move
Ya know what I mean?

Level 11
Hey guys, as a few days ago, my computer was sent in to have some overheating problems fixed. As a result, I will not have my laptop (and consequently not be able to work on SoA) for 1-2 weeks.
So, be patient in the meantime and I hope I get it as soon as possible so I can continue working on it (and yes, I uploaded the newest version to be sure that I didn't lose the version)

Level 11
My computer will never overheat :) , the latest model 2011. 3.8ghrtz
It's perfect to host bots on warcraft servers =D

Note: You do understand that i could use 5 hostbots to host your map online giving you the log for you to study? I know that you said no to this but, give it a try?

Level 11
No, I'd rather not do that because I do not want unfinished versions of the map being circulated throughout B-Net.
I want v 1.0 to be the very first public host. So let's wait on that

Level 5
Let him do it, Silver.
See, thing is - your not gonna be able to figure out a 12 player enviroment with just you and some friends.
People are gonna make new strategies, new ways of playing. That's gonna be the meta. You've got to deal with that, and balance around it, causing shifts in it.

Level 11
I'm in the same position as silverfish =D, my map "Hero(2)Wars: Revenge of the GoDz" i'd host it to get feedback but i'm to scared D:, i know how silverfish feels =D

But i should soon because i keep getting good feedback after tests, unless beta testers are beta testers as in they pretend to say its awesome but really its not :\

Level 11
The map is not ready for 12 players. There is no reason that it should be released to the public. When it is ready for 12 players, then it can be released for public testing. At that point in time, we will be able to figure out the 12 player environment as you explained, WillofKhrone.
I understand what you guys are saying, but SoA is not at that point yet. I am re-doing the terrain right now, it is not ready. When it is ready for public testing, ill let you all know.

Also, by the way, I got my laptop back and I will be working on it as much as I can. Although, I will be starting school soon, so working on it will be vveerryyy difficult at that point

Level 11
Hey guys! So I have been extreeeemely busy due to school. Since it started I have not been able to even touch World Editor. It's been crazy
I haven't forgotten bout SoA though. If things keep going this way, the project will just be postponed until thanksgiving, where i will work on it for a week, and then postponed until christmas break, where i will work on it for another month. So don't worry, I have not forgotten! I just have been very very busy and have not had enough time to devote for SoA

Level 2
Troggs wrecked Gnomeregan. At-least Leper Gnomes to show their works, I mean c'mon... v_v. Those monsters stopped the alliance from getting Mechastriding cannons that FLY and shoot out pink rainbows!

Level 11
Troggs will be involved with an event for the Dwarves if they choose to research their Gnomish mastery.

Speaking of which guys! Since I cannot work on the actual physical aspects of the map right now due to my busy schedule, I could work on conceptual ideas, oh which we could work on collaboratively!

So, basically, are there any questions, comments, concerns, etc, that we could start with? That way we could maybe fine tune some of the concepts

Level 11
Deolrin is correct. At this moment, there is only and the Gnomes are considered a Mastery, somewhat.
"Dwarven and Gnomish Ingenuity: Having combined the natural engineering prowess and resource capabilities of the Dwarves and the ingenius inventive nature of the Gnomes, new mechanical constructs have come into being. New units and a new tower will become available."

So, I think what should be done is that the gnomes should be accessed via an event. Perhaps a certain time has passed, the Dwarves walk into Gnomeragon, somthing like that. After that, 1 or 2 gnome units and a hero become available to Ironforge (signifying their union). After this point, the Mastery can be researched while at the same time a take over of Gnomeragon can take place, in which Leper Gnomes and Troggs would be combated.

What do you guys think?

Level 11
What else guys?
What would YOU guys like to see? Even if you think I have it implemented already, say it. It may remind me the importance of such aspects in the game to the players. I like to remember I am making this map for players, not solely for me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.