• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Idea: Reputation -> Post Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
So, I want to propose an idea that could replace reputation. Blasphemy, right? My precious gems!
Well, it's an idea. I'm not sure if most people on Hive have even thought about it, but here it goes. You're welcome to jump in with an open mind!

What are post ratings?

Post ratings is the system that's meant to be the upgrade from reputation. The XenForo devs intended for likes to be the new reputation as they created vBulletin, but now ratings became known as the better choice. Post Ratings - taking likes to the next level Disregard the positive / negative bar. We're not going to use any e-peen anything.

Examples of ones that can work for Hive:

full
information.png
- Informative (good in WEHZ and other support forums)
emoticon_grin.png
- Funny (good in the off-topic forums)
This.png
- This (the agree rating / good point)
paintbrush.png
- Creative (good in artistic works or creative ideas)
[ ] - For the Hive! (a rating to give for doing helpful deeds contributing to the Hive. Maybe Archian or someone can design one)
Award.png
- Award / Winner (see below under reward rep)

And we could even have some temporary ones or special ones. i.e. For the Horde, For the Alliance. Arghhh (for pirate day), Moose,

Less spam comments, more interaction

One / few word posts such as "nice" or "good model" would be fewer, so more constructive comments would be put in the spotlight.
How many times have you seen something nice, funny, creative, helpful, etc, but didn't comment? It happens all the time because we don't feel like posting on every single thread we view.

And unlike rep, the ratings are publicly visible on the post. It's good that it shows so people that see that can think: "Ah, so this is a thing the community deems as creative" or "people really appreciate this kind of post, I should make more myself"​

What about reward rep?

Ah, it's a good feeling to get that sweet sweet 40 rep along with a medal. Never experienced it :^)
I think it's fair to say that having a unique rating mods can give called Award or Winner. If you don't want to settle on one Award rating, we can even make it like rep - 30 20 10 contest points. This is not to replace the medals, just the reward rep which is just a chunk of rep. It's good since it makes contest wins easy to keep track of.​

Concerns?

The only negative I see with this is that it wouldn't feel nice for people who really want to keep their reputation. However, the reputation can easily be replaced with likes. So you're not really losing your amount, it's just a change in 'currency' if you will. Unspendable currency, that is.

It actually doesn't lower posting. Most forums that I've seen make the transition got boosted activity. You still need to post to subscribe, post to give feedback, and post to make a sincere compliment. Which is good, of course.

What about my gems?! The gems stay. Pretty sure that the system would work with it. 400 rep is some sort of gem. 400 rep points = 400 rating points. Easy.

When Hive added the profile and VMs feature, you would have seen some people complaining and worrying that "Hive would turn into Facebook." Now, it's a feature people take for granted. It'll take time for some people to get used to. Yes, social media uses similar things such (likes and shares, but they aren't ratings). However, Reddit and other successful forum-types have a rating feature and they work well for them.​

Conclusion

So don't worry. It's not complicated, lol. It's just one click, and you can choose whatever rating you want. No restrictions or rules. Besides, reputation caused problems in the past from 'spread' to 'rep-whoring' to 'neg rep' to contest complications. The post rating system is more simple than our current rep distribution system and guidelines, and may be even a bit more fun and fresh for the forum.

Just having posts and the occasional reputation is old and repetitive, nothing fresh. The idea is to boost the times in showing people appreciate your work or activity, and to boost interaction in a way that's nicer than rep.​

Thoughts? If you agree, disagree, or you're on the fence, please post.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Promotes politically correct atmosphere, which promotes self censorship. That's a way to have me leave.

Level 32
Promotes politically correct atmosphere, which promotes self censorship. That's a way to have me leave.
Um what? Wrong thread?

I'm not a fan of PC either, but I fail to see how this is even close to real world political correctness. It's just post ratings, not activism for proper LGBT categorization and such. There's not even any mention of censorship or categorizing people. Isn't it even the opposite of censorship, since ratings are more public?

Honestly, the forums that I know that use this are usually more centrist and right wing. But really, this has nothing to do with politics.

Last edited:
Level 32
Existing rep won't be removed for sure. Just relabeled, that's all. I addressed your concerns in the concerns section of the OP.

But yeah, I know this idea might seem a bit too much of a change. Especially for the nostalgic factor in some. But I'd really appreciate a reconsider. I've edited the post a little, too.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

This and like are easy ways for agreeing on one side without providing actual comments and observing how your side has more support, encouraging butting in for inconstructive comments, band wagon effect. It also promotes halo and stigma effects.
For me this would be third community to add upvotes and have people commit to caveman era behavior. You would just be repeating past mistakes.

We instinctively want to belong to majority with our values and norms to have better changes to survive and reproduce, in this we form a shared picture over what is right or wrong. But how can you have the rights to decide what is right or wrong? (Generally people draw the line at deciding over one's life.) We are all hyper naive and unaware of 99% of factors associated with any topic.

Community is already too restrictive. One acc per IP is beyond ridiculous to me. And I can't debate for nazism even if I would provide arguments, it being a banned topic. Most likely this is because the staff are afraid of being called nazis to let such talks exist, after all labels are the fundamental weapon of the left.

You should all look up the original definition of forum.

As long as I'll be able to disable the visibility of both (jk)

Honestly though, reputation has very little effect on what I do; so either way it'll probably have very little effect on me. When that is said, lets not get a facebook-like like system, the system should promote helpfulness/usefulness and user interaction, not masturbatory self-promotion.

So the idea is to have not "rep = rep", but devide reputation into categories, that "rep = likes + funny + creative + etc" ?
+
make the reached category points visible at one's post, like "Funny +3" at a post for example?

should there then also be something like a counter for each category at one's profile?, like how many likes one got, funny etc

Can I give "Funny" and "Creative", both to a single post for example?

I'm not sure though how it's related to less spam, but more interaction.

Personaly I don't need to visualisize the category of why someone appreciated my content like "funny, informative" etc, and it's enough to know that someone appreciated it. But maybe it also would not bother me too much, I don't know.
For making rep, or rep-categories visible at one's post, I don't really have a opinion at the moment.

And I can't debate for nazism even if I would provide arguments
It depends on how you discuss it I would say; it's not the topic per se that is now allowed to be discussed, but it may be some conclusion that follows by the argumentation which is used, when it's pure violance, hate racism, etc. that is spreaded.

Last edited:
Level 29
Not any meaningfuller than the current rep gems, i mean it perhaps would only differ to the %? minority of frequenters to this site that put any meaning in such things as those are in fundament nothing but '50 colors of Like'.

Also cant pass without stating that i dont like the 'Like-enforced' system of Fb and such, must everyone like everything ? there should also be dislike, hate it, exterminatus etc.

Level 32
Jondrean said:
Chaosy said:
Feels like the recent gender bullshit.
Apparently there are 69 different genders now.

I feel like this is the same, just over complicating.
Cool.

I was also testing to see how willing people in willing to change with the fair reasoning in front of them. I expected nostalgia for reputation / broke don't fix it mentality to be the driving factor for an opposition, but it's actually anti-PC politics from Jondrean and Chaosy. Heh, never would have guessed. LGBT and gender categorization is such a far stretch from Hive post ratings, but I guess it just shows how political 2016 and 2017 was for the western world that it affects nearly everything more than ever - when it shouldn't.

I'll reiterate that "Political Correctness" or "Far-left" politics has nothing to do with the idea of post ratings. And I'm not sure if you'll listen to that statement or even consider it. I also pointed out that the forums I use with ratings tend to be more centrist or conservative than Hive to show that this isn't a PC thing at all.

But yeah, I got the response that was needed to decide the fate of this idea. Unless any of you change your minds.
Thanks for the replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I don't see the point of having 5 different types of points.
Keep it simple.
I agree with that.
Community is already too restrictive. One acc per IP is beyond ridiculous to me.
That's not how it works. It's one account per person.

I want to keep things simple. I can imagine the next step to be displaying the number of reps a certain post has received. That is actually the default behavior of this reputation system, but the design of it was retarded, so I disabled it.

Seeing how this system works on Brigand's Haven and Diplomunion is interesting and it does have its appeal.

I'm kind of 50/50 on it, on the one hand it is a breath of fresh air into the Hive and would probably liven up the community a bit, however, it does have flaws of its own like people who would just spam every single one of someone's posts with the same type of 'like' such as happens with some people in Diplomunion and Brigand's Haven where they have a dislike option. I am verging on the side of I wouldn't want to see it on the Hive. I do think some changes could be made to make the Hive more interesting I don't, however, have any idea what those changes could be.

As for jondrean's and Choasy's points, I literally don't see the relevence of actual Human psychology, sociology and politics with a rating system on a Warcraft 3 Modding site and what that has to do with freedom of speech, Nazi-ism, LGBTQI, genders or supposed 'Left-Wing' politics.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I have been pondering re-adding negative reputation. What I have thought about is to display the rep a specific post has received and next to it, the negative rep it has received. If the negative rep is high enough for said post, it will be concealed (but still visible with a click). It would help to let the community moderate itself.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I have been pondering re-adding negative reputation. What I have thought about is to display the rep a specific post has received and next to it, the negative rep it has received. If the negative rep is high enough for said post, it will be concealed (but still visible with a click). It would help to let the community moderate itself.
We can do this with warnings too without mixing reputation into it. There's an option to show the warning publicly to everybody who can see the content.

Humans make bad moderators.
Yeah, but the staff consists of humans too. So we're fucked either way.

The idea of self-moderation is already in play and has been working like a clock. The difference between what we're doing now and what we did in the past is that we don't moderate before stuff happens.

e.g. the old policy was to lock down any thread that had the potential to get heated. Now we only lock it down as a last resort, after we have tried for long enough to set it on the right course without any results.

We also have way more options to do this with this new platform. We can e.g. ban people from specific threads, and display warnings publicly. We can (like before) edit posts, split the content into multiple threads (in case of derailing), delete posts (usually only done if they contain nothing but shit), etc.

Moderators should only get involved if they absolutely need to, not just because they can.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
What I have thought about is to display the rep a specific post has received and next to it, the negative rep it has received. If the negative rep is high enough for said post, it will be concealed (but still visible with a click). It would help to let the community moderate itself.
Blizzard forums do something similar (they gray/darken the post if it gets over 10 dislikes). Thing is, people might be inclined out of curiosity to press the show message/post and read to find out why it was covered in the first place.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
people might be inclined out of curiosity to press the show message/post and read to find out why it was covered in the first place.
For sure, but they will also know that a majority of the community frowns upon it. That is where the mechanism works. People will be outed by other people.

I do find it weird that the 10 dislikes is a hard limit. What if it has 1000 likes and 10 dislikes? I would much rather make it so it would be the percentage of dislikes when there is more than 10 likes/dislikes.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Yeah, but the staff consists of humans too. So we're fucked either way.

The idea of self-moderation is already in play and has been working like a clock. The difference between what we're doing now and what we did in the past is that we don't moderate before stuff happens.

e.g. the old policy was to lock down any thread that had the potential to get heated. Now we only lock it down as a last resort, after we have tried for long enough to set it on the right course without any results.

We also have way more options to do this with this new platform. We can e.g. ban people from specific threads, and display warnings publicly. We can (like before) edit posts, split the content into multiple threads (in case of derailing), delete posts (usually only done if they contain nothing but shit), etc.

Moderators should only get involved if they absolutely need to, not just because they can.
By existing self-moderation, are you referring to reviewers, users with approval rights? My concern is about forum, not assets. I think asset sections should be strictly moderated, in that the discussion should be kept on the asset in question. But people reviewing others' opinions, lol... How ineligible do you have to be to consider that. Here, my proof in self-moderation leading to censorship of minority: reddit: the front page of the internet, and my previous post is still a thing.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I do find it weird that the 10 dislikes is a hard limit. What if it has 1000 likes and 10 dislikes? I would much rather make it so it would be the percentage of dislikes when there is more than 10 likes/dislikes.
Well, Blizzard forums have a like-dislike balance system. If somebody dislikes a post it gets -1. If someone likes that post it gets +1 which means a total of 0=>normal post as if no one liked it or disliked it (you can't know unless you've watched the post be disliked and liked. However, if the post gets 5 dislikes and I for instance will give it a like, the -4 will be visible on that post instead of the -5.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

@jondrean you're going to want to reread what fladdermasken said. He never said anything that would make you think he was referring to assets.
I don't know what he's referring to with self-moderation then. It doesn't come clear from the post and he hasn't corrected my guess. And you didn't tell it either. Are you referring to having a particular off-topic moderator then?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Okay yes, I didn't think of that as self-moderation. It's pretty obvious now that I read it, lol.

Anyway, I'm not at a position to rate your opinion. Or someone else's for that matter. It would be a feature used by people who would not consider its censoring effects, or want to push their agenda. And I fail to see the context where it would be appropriate to be used on forums generally, why not just use report if a post violates site rules. I said generally as I can come up with special cases, like help zone.

Level 22

I strongly dislikes the idea of adding neg-rep and masking posts with negative score:
Negative reputation will just bring a new cause of conflict and hate between people, I fear adding it will just add more un-constructive and un-kind comments on the forums.
Masking some posts can make the discussion difficult to understand, and as others said it might even draw attention to unwanted posts because people will just click to see why this post was masked.

On the contrary, I think showing rep on each post is a good idea, and highlighting posts wîth high rep would be good (for example, in a help topic it would emphasize the post with the answer).

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Negative reputation will just bring a new cause of conflict and hate between people, I fear adding it will just add more un-constructive and un-kind comments on the forums.

On the contrary, I think showing rep on each post is a good idea, and highlighting posts wîth high rep would be good (for example, in a help topic it would emphasize the post with the answer).
I might tend to agree. You rock.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I completely agree with the idea of seeing the Reputation that a post has garnered, and all of that stuff, for all the reasons aforementioned. Not so sure about the neg-rep stuff, though I'm not averse to it I suppose.

I think I can see what jondrean & others are going on about, even if I don't fully understand it. The contention lies in the belief that in places like Reddit (featuring systems as the ones described here, up/down-votes, community-driven moderation, etc), a certain mind-set & culture & community is fostered... One which "romotes politically correct atmosphere, which promotes self censorship."

Not sure I agree, but I see kinda where he's coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.