• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Resource Ratings / About the rating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi :)

I have a concern with resource rating.

First of all, those who rate resources are people who don't really care and are on a "rate-1" spree.

Second, people who liked a resource never really rate it, unless it changed their lives.

Third, even the person who submitted the resource can rate it, which means an insta-10 rating.

In my opinion, rating is useless because of those facts ;) Also, when I need a resource I don't look at the rating, I look at the preview. Rating means nothing and I know it!

I don't really have ideas right now, except removing rating. Or maybe add comments along with rating.

add comments along with rating.

It is a good idea.

If the user MUST post a comment with his rate, maybe it will prevent lots of abuse.
EDIT: and, rates with blank comments can be considerated spam or malicious vote (malicious vote is voting a lower rate in a resource to make it appear bad, or a high vote on your resource to make it appear better).
the user will have his rate ignored and will be punished with -rep

Level 10
I tottaly agree with Ham, if there should be a rating system then it shouldn't be possible for everyone just to spam rate 1. they must have a reason and a good comment.
And yea guests shouldn't be allowed to rate...that way someone can just spam 10 rating on his resource and 1 on everyone else's work.

Level 7
It is a good idea.

If the user MUST post a comment with his rate, maybe it will prevent lots of abuse.
EDIT: and, rates with blank comments can be considerated spam or malicious vote (malicious vote is voting a lower rate in a resource to make it appear bad, or a high vote on your resource to make it appear better).
the user will have his rate ignored and will be punished with -rep

I like the "rate ignored" idea. Really nice ;) You simply add a way to detect if a user rates anything without a comment, and delete that rating instantly.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
well. I just think it would be easier.
Everyone rates differently. Someone rates 7 for very good and someone rates 10 for very good.
But rating for "I like it" and "I don't like it" is much easier.

Then we will list rating as (I like) / (I don't like) so we will have a number of how many positive votes per negative.

Level 40
I agree with I like it / Dislike it, since I find myself often not even rating cause I'm not sure what the little numbers really mean in the eyes of the submitter (I see 6-7 as meaning good, from the tooltips, yet some people see 9-10, etc). Thus, a congratulations can become an insult, depending on what your opinions are compared to theirs.

Level 22
The rating system will always be vulnerable to such problems.

HOwever, Vexorian once came up with a good rating system. One based on a value-by-total-points rather then a 1 to 10 rating poor-to-excellent rating. That way even if someone rated a resource a "1", it still gave +1 points to the resource to add it its total points. That way people who dont like the resource are forced not to rate it.
-VGsatomi

Level 19
About the rating system

I'm just wondering is it so that if somebody updates a map and somebody had rated the old map before the update is it possible for that person to change his/her rating? I have never been able to try this and if this is not possible I think it should be made possible.

Level 32
As things stand right now the ratings for any specific resource are always maintained. Everyone must vote carefully when rating resources, some guidelines are shown in the map submission rules:
Resource Comments and Ratings:
  • All users are allowed and encouraged to comment upon and rate submitted resources.

• We owe it to the mapmakers that put time and effort into their maps and to our community itself to be as helpful and supportive as possible.

• Please leave CONSTRUCTIVE feedback only, especially if the user is new and needs it.

• Flaming, hostile feedback or down rating may be punished.
Changing the rating system to account for resources that have been updated would require editing those scripts that produce and maintain the ratings: only Ralle can do that.

Level 32
Post in the [self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32064"]To Do List[/Self] to add your suggestion.

As a side note, I now recall that a nearly identical discussion has taken place in the past: I'll merge this thread so you can review the previous posts and all the information will be kept in one place.

~ Threads merged.

Level 19
Speaking of rating system it just got abused in my first map submission ever. Today my map had ten votes and rating was 8.89 but few hours later after this moron Valtz_32 posted in my map discussion votes rose to 28 and rating dropped to 4.16. All just in few hours although it took many days to even get those ten ratings so it's clear this Valtz idiot has abused the system and uses like twenty profiles to trash good maps. :( Valtz_32 did hostile feedback and downrating for me.

Last edited:
Level 19
The map rating dropped already in few hours from 8.66 (a bit more than 10 votes maybe 15) to 7.77 with 17 votes. I'm tired of some mysterious people giving ratings but not leaving a comment at all.

I really think that the site rating system should be changed so that everybody sees who has rated and how. And a comment with rating should be left.

Level 32
Somebody is downrating my map again. It dropped below 5 in few moments again with 10 more votes. :(
Sonofa...

I contacted Ralle yesterday about this issue. In my opinion it's a very, very, serious matter indeed.

In the coming weeks everyone should expect that some changes will take place in order to fully address this situation.

[sound]http://hiveworkshop.com/gfx/wolve/sounds/3whip.wav[/sound]

Last edited:
Level 37
Yesterday someone rated all my maps and gave them 1 point. No comments were given. I think it's the same guy that is abusing the Jaakko's map.

Arab4life said:
I have an idea! How about, if you wanna rate the map. post a comment on it!

This is a very good idea. I suggest that Ralle should do this. Of course there is always a big BUT. Because some guys are afraid to give a comment, they always do a rate only.

Level 21
Posting comments is a bad idea. I don't want to post a useless message everytime I rate a resource. It's going to flood recourse section with spam (honestly, who wants to read through 10 pages of "omg itz zu kewl"), which also means we'll need more resource mods to moderate comments, and each individual rating. It also means that if there's a bug in a model, and everyone rates it 1, the bug will be mentioned by everyone in their comments. Do we really want to see every message a 100 times? If I bother reading comments, then I read them to see if anyone else encountered a bug I also encountered, or to see if it's worth downloading or not.

IMO the best solution would be: making it visible who votes what, and also ask to add a comment when rating in an extreme way (e.g. rating 1, 2, 3, 9, 10)

Level 15
When i worked at the FA Life as a mod/game maker person(that was cool when i did it lost all of the work with worms tho) there was a very small resource section now its gone gone with the wind. i set up this system to help with this problom there a changed version that might work with the hive

rating is based on rep more +rep more rating value
Add a bad raiting tag to profiles have a tag you cant rate unless a mod/admin takes it away
now use this algorithm to calculate rating

+rep + rating number = N / 1\ user rep = R
N = equation a sum
R = rating

and no one spamed it with out defeating the locks

Level 32
rating is based on rep more +rep more rating value
That's a great idea. However, at present the resource sections are separate from the vBulletin forum that governs reputation. Ralle intends to (eventually) move all the resources to the forum proper (no promises on the time frame).

After that considerable task is completed, all of these problems related to resource ratings will be a thing of the past.

Stay tuned.

Level 11
The ways I think the rating system could be improved with:

1) You must be logged in to rate a resource.
2) You must leave your username, and a comment of why or for what reason you rated it as you did.
3) Remove the feature for the uploader to rate their own resource.

Also I think there may be a bug with the rating system (Decimal ratings anyone?) Such as it having 1 vote for lets say...a 10 of 10 rating. Yet it shows as an 8.56 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.