• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Icon Contest #19 - There Must Always be a Lich King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_icon-png.311495
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
9-png.311482

icon.contest.png

Turn one in-game unit or hero into its death knight version.
One portrait icon + 2 fitting abilities.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• You can join the contest anytime from 20th October 2019 to 10th November 2019
  • Every member can join contest
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Your work must be mostly freehand. CnPs, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted. Use of textures and filter work is permited.
  • You must show at least 2 unfinished wip (WIP) for each of your submissions, before the deadline, as proof that they're yours.
    • Drawing on canvas size smaller than 256x256 pixels: the .psd file may be required as the verification of authorship.
  • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
  • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete and uploaded to the icon section. Icons mustn't be updated once uploaded, until the contest poll is over.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 15 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning entries will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_judging_criteria-png.311511

Consistency of the icons in the pack
Do the icons compliment each other well?/10

Blizzard style
Is the style similar to standard icons?/10

Concept
How qualitative is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. How fitting are icons for chosen unit?/25

Technical note
Quality of color, composition, expressiveness, shape, definition, sharpness, clarity, shading, realism, proportions, rendering, details, materials./55

• Judgement: 75%
  • Poll: 25%
other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 20th October 2019 and conclude on 10th November 2019 GMT (day is included).

NOTE: Contest features changes to the usual concept in order to attract more contestants.
  • This time around workload is less, 3 instead of 4 icons.
  • Awards are greater, especially for everyone who enters. +15 reputation instead of usual +5.
  • Duration is shorter due to less workload.

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 50
Note for interested contestants: don't wait last moment to work on your entry, if there will be any extension it will be only a few days time and those who post final entry in that period will have 5% taken from their final score. So, post your wips and entry on time, because fair play means same rules for all and the rules state the start is on 20th October and event finishes on 10th of November.

Level 11
I am not good making icons, but I will follow this.
Maybe I will try to do... Something, because, anything for the Lich King (and his right hand, the good of Kel'thuzad). I assure nothing.

Level 35
Just a question of curiosity. Since one is to take an exsisting model and change it, my initial process would be to work of the original art. But going from "CnPs, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted" it sounds like one there would be a clash when you want to reference and trace the existing unit art, as the ground for your new version. So can I safely assume one is allowed to heavily reference and to an extend trace the unit art one is basing ones work on.

Level 50
Tracing means taking existing artwork and drawing on it following its linework and such.
Heavy referencing is similar to tracing, but instead of drawing on top of existing artwork, you attempt to make the exact copy of it, possibly changing only few details. Both are not permitted.

Referencing is for example taking screenshot of 3D model from different angles. Then figuring out how you want to assemble the composition and drawing the image on your own, having references as information on how specific object behaves in specific context. You do not attempt to draw the copy as references as that would be heavy referencing. So that's the difference.

Just a question of curiosity. Since one is to take an exsisting model and change it, my initial process would be to work of the original art. But going from "CnPs, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted" it sounds like one there would be a clash when you want to reference and trace the existing unit art, as the ground for your new version. So can I safely assume one is allowed to heavily reference and to an extend trace the unit art one is basing ones work on.
I think, rather than trying to make just a straight up Death Knight-ified version of the original icon, they're looking for something more like the Normal Grom vs. Chaos Grom or Arthas vs. Death Knight Arthas icons. Both still clearly the same character, but with drastically different compositions/themes.

Level 35
Tracing means taking existing artwork and drawing on it following its linework and such.
Heavy referencing is similar to tracing, but instead of drawing on top of existing artwork, you attempt to make the exact copy of it, possibly changing only few details. Both are not permitted.

Referencing is for example taking screenshot of 3D model from different angles. Then figuring out how you want to assemble the composition and drawing the image on your own, having references as information on how specific object behaves in specific context. You do not attempt to draw the copy as references as that would be heavy referencing. So that's the difference.

I think, rather than trying to make just a straight up Death Knight-ified version of the original icon, they're looking for something more like the Normal Grom vs. Chaos Grom or Arthas vs. Death Knight Arthas icons. Both still clearly the same character, but with drastically different compositions/themes.

Ye, I figured it was the idea, but as one could choose to keep the composition, all things made mention of would come in to play (but of course only as the inital start), so it would end up being an large part of freehand.

Level 6
I'm really interested in participating, since i've been learning to use gimp last year but couldn't find something to put my skills to the test yet.

But i just found the contest, n' sadly i can't participate in time since deadline is in 3 days.
i have 3-4 free hours only till it ends, i got so hyped till i figured out i'm 2 late 4 this party:vw_sad:

My final. Good luck everyone!

SetDescription
Imprisoned within the soul of death itself!

Soul Discharge
He sends out souls to hunt his enemies, applying the standard curse from wc3. and dealing damage. but each time he uses that ability, his Max hp and mana would be reduced. but the ability does not have an initial mana cost.

Consume Souls
Whenever he kills enemies, he consumes their soul gaining more hp and mana (aka being added permanently to his Max Health and Mana Status). which is increased even more should he kills a hero or a night elven wisp.

Attachments

• BTNKeeperDK.png
    BTNKeeperDK.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,793
  • BTNSoulDischarge.png
    BTNSoulDischarge.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,773
  • BTNConsumeSouls.png
    BTNConsumeSouls.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,785
Last edited:
Level 21
Final.

The Frost Witcher - a scourged spellcaster, enslaved by the Lich King, frozen to death (or undeath, if you think about it).
Now he operates both antimagic and ice!
BTNFrostWitcher.png

A Fettering Cold - Frost Witcher can make his enemy's spells cost twice as much and twice as long to recharge!
ATCFetteringCold.png

A Frost Touch - touching a Frost Witcher will dissipate all positive spells on you, and freeze you, slowing your attacks and moving speed! (works only in melee contact).
PASFrostTouch.png

Level 11
@Ceterai Damn, that abilities ideas (and the icons too) are very good ones. I would like to, if you don't have any problem, create a hero with that. I don't have a map to put it on, but it still being a very good hero idea. That makes me remind the Hero contest with icon makers, model makers and, ehhh, hero skills makers haha. I think it is in the Hive YT chanel.

Level 7
Without further ado! I would like to submit my final pieces.

"Deep within the icy depths of Icecrown live may creatures who live, die, and heed the call of the Jailor of the Damned. When mantle was passed, it was up to one powerful Murloc to take up the burden. Power beckons them on to darker paths."

As those attuned to death understand, the living tissue rots fast when nudged along to do so. The postulate is an area of effect around the caster X units away to deal x% damage to living units.

As a gift for doing the work required of the Lich King, power comes in many forms from many sources. This spell sacrifices an allied unit to use the bones, blood, and sinew to add attack damage based on HP of the sacrificed unit for X many attacks

Attachments

• Dark Enhancement Final.png
    Dark Enhancement Final.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Postulate Final.png
    Postulate Final.png
    930.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Murloc DK_256.png
    Murloc DK_256.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 147
Without further ado! I would like to submit my final pieces.

"Deep within the icy depths of Icecrown live may creatures who live, die, and heed the call of the Jailor of the Damned. When mantle was passed, it was up to one powerful Murloc to take up the burden. Power beckons them on to darker paths."

As those attuned to death understand, the living tissue rots fast when nudged along to do so. The postulate is an area of effect around the caster X units away to deal x% damage to living units.

As a gift for doing the work required of the Lich King, power comes in many forms from many sources. This spell sacrifices an allied unit to use the bones, blood, and sinew to add attack damage based on HP of the sacrificed unit for X many attacks

Use Button Manager to convert your entries to usable BTNs.

Status
Not open for further replies.