1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icon Contest #19 - There Must Always be a Lich King

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Murlocologist, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    icon.contest.png

Turn one in-game unit or hero into its death knight version.
    One portrait icon + 2 fitting abilities.

[​IMG]
    • You can join the contest anytime from 20th October 2019 to 10th November 2019
    • Every member can join contest
    • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • Your work must be mostly freehand. CnPs, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted. Use of textures and filter work is permited.
    • You must show at least 2 unfinished wip (WIP) for each of your submissions, before the deadline, as proof that they're yours.
      • Drawing on canvas size smaller than 256x256 pixels: the .psd file may be required as the verification of authorship.
    • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
    • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete and uploaded to the icon section. Icons mustn't be updated once uploaded, until the contest poll is over.
    • Teamwork is not allowed.
    [​IMG]
    • 1st place: 55 reputation points
    • 2nd place: 40 reputation points
    • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
    • Entry: 15 reputation points
    • Judge: 5 reputation points
    The three winning entries will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Consistency of the icons in the pack Do the icons compliment each other well? /10
    Blizzard style Is the style similar to standard icons? /10
    Concept How qualitative is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. How fitting are icons for chosen unit? /25
    Technical note Quality of color, composition, expressiveness, shape, definition, sharpness, clarity, shading, realism, proportions, rendering, details, materials. /55

• Judgement: 75%
    • Poll: 25%
    [​IMG]
    The contest shall begin on 20th October 2019 and conclude on 10th November 2019 GMT (day is included).

NOTE: Contest features changes to the usual concept in order to attract more contestants.
    • This time around workload is less, 3 instead of 4 icons.
    • Awards are greater, especially for everyone who enters. +15 reputation instead of usual +5.
    • Duration is shorter due to less workload.

2. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Whoa, that was fast X'D, i think i'm gonna participate on this one :l

3. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Notice added. Approved!

4. Shido

Shido

Resources:
    Resources:
    @PrinceYaser, in the lich king name. (sorry, there will always a lich of the icons)

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hwhoah, that was quick... But if people are raring to go, who am I to complain? : )

Looking forward to this. Trolls & Elementals make excellent Death Knights!

6. The_Warchief

The_Warchief

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    My schedule is starting to clear up a bit now so I'm definitely going to try and participate in this one, since I managed to catch it early, this time.

7. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @Shido Thanks for the heads up! xD

I will try to participate, of course. The college is taking most of my time. I hope I can work on weekends tho.

Good luck, everyone!

8. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Note for interested contestants: don't wait last moment to work on your entry, if there will be any extension it will be only a few days time and those who post final entry in that period will have 5% taken from their final score. So, post your wips and entry on time, because fair play means same rules for all and the rules state the start is on 20th October and event finishes on 10th of November.

9. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    fair's fair, i support this rule :peasant-thumbs-up:

10. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am not good making icons, but I will follow this.
    Maybe I will try to do... Something, because, anything for the Lich King (and his right hand, the good of Kel'thuzad). I assure nothing.

11. Ceterai

Ceterai

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Sounds interesting, will try to participate :)

12. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Just a question of curiosity. Since one is to take an exsisting model and change it, my initial process would be to work of the original art. But going from "CnPs, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted" it sounds like one there would be a clash when you want to reference and trace the existing unit art, as the ground for your new version. So can I safely assume one is allowed to heavily reference and to an extend trace the unit art one is basing ones work on.

13. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Tracing means taking existing artwork and drawing on it following its linework and such.
    Heavy referencing is similar to tracing, but instead of drawing on top of existing artwork, you attempt to make the exact copy of it, possibly changing only few details. Both are not permitted.

Referencing is for example taking screenshot of 3D model from different angles. Then figuring out how you want to assemble the composition and drawing the image on your own, having references as information on how specific object behaves in specific context. You do not attempt to draw the copy as references as that would be heavy referencing. So that's the difference.

14. The_Warchief

The_Warchief

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I think, rather than trying to make just a straight up Death Knight-ified version of the original icon, they're looking for something more like the Normal Grom vs. Chaos Grom or Arthas vs. Death Knight Arthas icons. Both still clearly the same character, but with drastically different compositions/themes.

15. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Ye, I figured it was the idea, but as one could choose to keep the composition, all things made mention of would come in to play (but of course only as the inital start), so it would end up being an large part of freehand.

16. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting,

17. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    WIPs for Keeper of the Grove.

Will be having free time this week. So I hope to finish the set this week.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  18. Ceterai

Ceterai

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    WIP1
    Spellbreaker

Attached Files:

19. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser