• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Icon Contest #18 - Make him a Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_icon-png.311495
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
8-png.311481

excIC-18_img.png

Contestants are to choose an ingame unit and give him hero abilities. There can be a huge space for creative solutions around upgrading some casual unit into a hero with 4 abilities.
The more unique and intriguing the abilities are the better it is. Be wild with your imagination!

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Your work must be mostly freehand. CnPs, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted. Use of textures and filter work is permited.
  • You must show at least 2 unfinished previews (WIP) for each of your submissions, before the deadline, as proof that they're yours.
    • Drawing on canvas size smaller than 256x256 pixels: the .psd file may be required as the verification of authorship.
  • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
  • Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete and uploaded to the icon section. Icons mustn't be updated once uploaded, until the contest poll is over.
  • Judges may not participate in the contest.
  • No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 50 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 35 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 20 reputation points
  • Entry: 4 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

• The_Panda
  • Judge 2
  • Judge 3

other_judging_criteria-png.311511

Consistency of the icons in the pack
Do the icons compliment each other well?/10

Blizzard style
Is the style similar to standard icons?/10

Concept
How qualitative is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. How fitting are icons for chosen unit?/25

Technical note
Quality of color, composition, expressiveness, shape, definition, sharpness, clarity, shading, realism, proportions, rendering, details, materials./55

/100

• Judgement: 75%
  • Poll: 25%
other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 15th August 2019 and conclude on 25th September 2019 GMT (day is included).

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Heck yeah it's on!

If anyone needs ideas (whether a full skill-set or just a few abilities), post it here; I'm sure someone will be able to brainstorm with ya. ; )

@Heinvers Rules Questions:
- For the sake of consistency/fairness, everyone should be expected to do the same amount of work... And if we're going for Wc3 Heroes, we probably oughta set that bar at the Wc3 standard (i.e. Three 'regular' ability Icons, One 'ultimate' ability Icon). Thoughts?
- One thing I didn't quite understand, the "do not update after uploading until after the Poll"... I understand that once the Poll has begun (after the Contest is over, natch), no one should be updating their model (at least, not for Contest consideration). However, are you saying that once a Contestant uploads it once, they're stuck with that upload & cannot update it before the Contest ends/Poll starts?? That seems like a tricky policy (you'll incentivize people not uploading till the absolute last second, which can be really problematic).

That's all I have time for, unfortunately.

@Heinvers Rules Questions:
- One thing I didn't quite understand, the "do not update after uploading until after the Poll"... I understand that once the Poll has begun (after the Contest is over, natch), no one should be updating their model (at least, not for Contest consideration). However, are you saying that once a Contestant uploads it once, they're stuck with that upload & cannot update it before the Contest ends/Poll starts?? That seems like a tricky policy (you'll incentivize people not uploading till the absolute last second, which can be really problematic).

Yes, exactly what the rule states. Once you post and upload your final entry you should not update it until the contest has ended. We've had some issues in the past due to people updating their entries before the contest has ended. Which, for good reason has affected what the judges were able to review.

Say, would you consider it fair if some people updated their icons during the time you're jugding their entries? I say not really. It makes your work harder.

I find it weird that this rule is questioned now given that we've had this one for a while now and no people complained about it until now.
Not that I'm aware of, at least...

Thanks for raising the concerns @Kyrbi0 :]

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
During the time that the public poll is running, judges can review the entries AFAIK.
Of course, of course. But that's not quite what I was getting at...

The question now becomes: the Public Poll (& the concurrent Judging) do not take place until the Contest is officially over, right? As in, the deadline has been reached & no more work by Contestants on their Entries will be allowed?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Alrighty...

SO if there's no Polling or Judging going on until the Contest is over (i.e. deadline), why can't a Contestant update their uploaded Entry "until the contest poll is over."??

e.g. I, Kyrbi0, join this Contest, post two WIPs & then make a post & an upload with my finished Icon Contest entry today, August 16th. Currently as written, the Rules stop me from making any kind of changes to my posted/uploaded Entry (e.g. I changed my hero, I changed what spells I designed icons for, I messed up a layer on one of icons, etc etc etc), even though it's almost an entire month until the end of the Contest (pre-Poll & pre-Judging). To put it bluntly, that seems ridiculous.

Do you see what I've been getting at now?

Level 50
e.g. I, Kyrbi0, join this Contest, post two WIPs & then make a post & an upload with my finished Icon Contest entry today, August 16th. Currently as written, the Rules stop me from making any kind of changes to my posted/uploaded Entry (e.g. I changed my hero, I changed what spells I designed icons for, I messed up a layer on one of icons, etc etc etc), even though it's almost an entire month until the end of the Contest (pre-Poll & pre-Judging). To put it bluntly, that seems ridiculous.
When you post icon in icon section you could get concrete suggestions on how to improve it, in other words teamwork in front of everyone's nose if you apply changes to icon accordingly to instructions. And that doesn't seem like fair play towards other contestants who work solo. So, not updating what you thought was completed entry until contest is over seems like most efficient way to, at least in theory, keep unfair advantage (in form of publicly posted feedback on your icon thread) away from contest.

Either way, I suggest we get back to the contest and keep debates for different threads.

Last edited:
Level 50
How is that criticism different from what people get in the contest thread itself? I concur with Kyrib0 regarding that rule, but I think the more important issue is the one regarding consistency (e.g 4 icons from everyone).
Contest thread is monitored by host. He manages with replies which can be regarded as teamwork.

I agree that 4 icons should be criteria.

Level 48
Yeah, I just don't understand why it would matter, you know? At the end of the day we're all here to make art assets for a community of modders. The end result being better should be more important than personal ego over who bested who in a contest. But besides all that, you can't possibly police teamwork; for instance I share my WIPs with my friends in private, many of whom are artists and give me concrete tips on how to improve my work. I see no point in trying to limit what kind of feedback a contestant can receive during a contest.

Level 50
You are now basically suggesting that you are against ''no teamwork'' rule. Contest rules are practically unchanged for years, I doubt anyone interested in taking part will be so annoyed by them not to enter contest. So I don't think there is any real problem in here, but rather it seems people feel like debating just for sake of it.

Well, I subscribed for this thread because of icons, not to debate contest rules. I guess if someone wants to change rules of future contests they should take their opinions to more appropriate thread.

Level 48
I've been following contests since I registered on this site and I've crawled through older contest threads as well. This whole notion that feedback and teamwork are the same thing is a recent movement. Go back and look at old contests - onlookers and contestants are freely criticising entries and no one bats an eye. It's also untrue that "contest rules are unchanged for years" - although there was no major overhaul of the rules, there have certainly been contests in recent years (2-4 years) that changed things around a little. "Optionally paired" contests are an entirely new beast, for example. I am not suggesting that I am "against the no teamwork rule", I would certainly oppose anyone actively helping a contestant to create their entry, for example in this icon contest by drawing over their icon and correcting it in Photoshop. Verbal feedback, such as "I think the colours could be a tad more saturated" or "the hilt of the sword blends in too much with the blade" is not teamwork. Feedback can be sensible and it can be complete nonsense, and at the end of the day it's up to the entrant to decide if they wish to listen to the feedback or not. I'm not arguing that we should change the rules, I'm arguing that your understanding of the rules is lacking and limiting, and that it can lead to pointlessly punishing people. And no, I'm not pointlessly debating, I sincerely believe that this is a serious issue that requires a resolution.
I very much hope that Heinvers and any other relevant moderators see the sense in what I'm saying.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
So how many icons it is? 3 or 4?
That's something what we (Deolrin & I) were trying to point out on the first page... Should be set at a certain number for consistency. (Preferably 4 ability icons, one Hero icon)

I will take on Iron Golem/ Goblin Shredder.
Ooh, I had a Goblin "Warmech" hero planned ages ago... Very excited to see this.

It has to be in-game unit and non hero.
Uhh, yeah I know. But earth elementals are in Wc3. Granted they go by different names ("mud/stone/granite golem"), but I think we all know what I'm talking about.

So just to be clear, I know it's 4 ability icons for sure as a MUST. If contestants wished to add in a hero icon as well, would they be permitted to, or would those icons be excluded from the pack for rating purposes for the sake of fairness to those who don't want to make said hero icon?

Also, is the contest strictly turning non-hero units into heroes, or could making a new batch of abilities for an already existing hero also be considered?

Also, is the contest strictly turning non-hero units into heroes, or could making a new batch of abilities for an already existing hero also be considered?

This is strictly for non-Hero units. e.g. the Banshee or Footman.

or would those icons be excluded from the pack for rating purposes for the sake of fairness to those who don't want to make said hero icon?

Four is a requirement. I see no reason to add a fifth icon.

Level 48
Lets spice it up. Give me suggestion for which unit to pick. Perhaps something that would be usefull for the hive. Like if we didnt have enough furbold icons or something

Forest Troll Trapper / Warlord, Harpy Witch / Queen, Revenant, Crypt Fiend, Kodo Beast, Spirit Walker, Murloc Huntsman, Mur'gul Shadowcaster, Ogre Magi, Sasquatch Oracle, Razormane Medicine Man, Satyr Trickster / Hellcaller, Eredar Warlock, Dryad, Necromancer, Flying Machine. A few ideas. :thumbs_up:

Level 50
If anyone is still seriously struggling to come up with a Unit to Hero-ize (and especially if they want to enhance the Wc3 Modding scene by complementing an existing custom Unit>>>Hero model), have I got a chart for you:

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension
Contest is about in-game units only and it isn't about reimagining unit's appearance into something very non-related to original just to make them heroic.

Came from the Techtree Contest to drop by a few suggestions:

- Felguard: Is a nice candidate for this contest. Could be a tank or a fighter.

- Satyr: Could be an agility-based Hero. Anything flashy or sneaky can be used to fashion an icon.

- Unbroken/Faceless: Sure, they're a bit overrated but the spells you can put on them is limitless.

- Revenant: Looks like a tank or a mage hero. Based on what you choose, the icons could be about the shield and mace or frosty spells. Cool helmet too.

- Furbolg: Tough one, but their bites and claws might give you some ideas.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Contest is about in-game units only
True; and if you read the post I linked carefully, you'd find that's true of that Contest as well, so no problems arise when using it.

Murlocologist said:
... and it isn't about reimagining unit's appearance into something very non-related to original just to make them heroic.
Subjective; that's for the Judges to decide. And also false: this Contest is simply "design icons for Hero abilities for a hero-version of an in-game unit". Nothing about that says/implies it can't diverge wildly from the original concept.

In fact I would even submit the Contest does encourage a certain level of divergence; it explicitly says
Contest Thread said:
...There can be huge space for creative solutions around upgrading..Unit into a hero... The more unique and intriguing the abilities are the better it is...
Not to mention the Judging Criteria of "Concept" being focused on "originality & uniqueness"

So I see literally no issue.

Even if this Contest had (as I would've wanted, personally) included more about "fitting the character & the game", "being a realistic interpretation of the Unit->Hero thing", I still think many, if not most, of the examples I linked fit well & serve as useful inspiration.

But there's nothing saying you personally have to use them; if you don't like them, feel free to ignore them.

Level 50
Sorry, I'm not interested in semantics game. I merely quoted your previous post to avoid people being mislead into thinking they can pick unit from the list you posted, as you forgot to mention that making icons for one of those cannot be done for this contest and due to your confusing suggestion (in the context of this contest) for them to pick unit from that list ''if they want to enhance the Wc3 Modding scene by complementing an existing custom Unit>>>Hero model''

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
"Semantics game"? When one has failed to understand the words used such that one cautions against a non-issue, I would argue that is no game.

Anyway, I will gladly individually disabuse anyone of the wrong notions regarding the chart in my link, but I can scarcely believe there will be any confusion.

It's incredibly simple. An Entrant in this Contest chooses an in-game unit (say, the Jungle Troll Witch Doctor), and while they can come up with 4 Hero abilities for their own conception of a "Hero Witch Doctor", they can also complement the Resources of the past by drawing icons for, say, this unit, which is, I'm sure we can all agree, one of many possible interpretations of "Hero Witch Doctor".

And all of that is perfectly within the realm of acceptability for this Contest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.