• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #15 - Unit Corresponding Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Maybe pick another unit you can get more ideas from? Shade is hard to come up with ideas with.
Bah, nonsense. : )

btnuncontrolledfury2-png.270120
View attachment 270474 View attachment 270472 View attachment 270473
I really don't know what I'm doing finished 4 icons but still not yet final. I'm gonna wait 'til my mind explodes some good idea or else I'm just gonna stick with this one. Or you could try helping me by giving some ideas.
Classic Undead Shade, right? It's always seemed a shame to me that he was basically just a Protoss Observer, since his creation was so interesting (Sacrifice mechanic) & his model so cool. What about...

- Haunt, where the shade is possessing a target temporarily (classic puppeteer)
- Incorporeality, like basic Evasion (ghostly shade arm with a blade passing through it)
- Visage/Howl of Fear, like an evil debuff "roar" for the Shade
- Touch of the Grave, a deadly chilling counterattack that imbues a target with a deadly chill (like a shade hand touching an exposed arm & making it die)
- Wail of the Dirge (actually this is just a better name for the roar)

Probably more. Good start though.

(something to keep in mind is that not every icon has to feature the Shade, specifically; I mean look at the already-existing Shade's "True Sight" ability. It's like, 3 purple ghost-faces. What does that even mean?? lol)

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Bah, nonsense. : )

Classic Undead Shade, right? It's always seemed a shame to me that he was basically just a Protoss Observer, since his creation was so interesting (Sacrifice mechanic) & his model so cool. What about...

- Haunt, where the shade is possessing a target temporarily (classic puppeteer)
- Incorporeality, like basic Evasion (ghostly shade arm with a blade passing through it)
- Visage/Howl of Fear, like an evil debuff "roar" for the Shade
- Touch of the Grave, a deadly chilling counterattack that imbues a target with a deadly chill (like a shade hand touching an exposed arm & making it die)
- Wail of the Dirge (actually this is just a better name for the roar)

Probably more. Good start though.

(something to keep in mind is that not every icon has to feature the Shade, specifically; I mean look at the already-existing Shade's "True Sight" ability. It's like, 3 purple ghost-faces. What does that even mean?? lol)
Thanks tho. Sadly, I changed unit. I am really bothered how I'll be pulling off colors for the shade and I can only think of green. I actually thought some of your ideas but I had difficulty on portraying them. Also I may upload the icons if someone wants to.

I'm gonna switch to the good old Rifleman. Haven't done anything about guns and machines (except for the tank icon XD)
So yep, here's another wip.

PASRapidBullet.png

Level 11
I kind of wanna give this a go.
But I just have one question.

You always throw the term 'freehand' around a lot. Does this mean I cannot use all the tools associated with Photoshop and only use the brush/pencil type tools OR does it mean I have to create it from scratch, without the use of any other material.

Level 50
You always throw the term 'freehand' around a lot. Does this mean I cannot use all the tools associated with Photoshop and only use the brush/pencil type tools OR does it mean I have to create it from scratch, without the use of any other material.
It means that you have to both draw it from scratch and do it on your own with brushes and pencils. Tools like hue-saturation adjust, contrast adjust, sharpening tool, blurring tool and similar are allowed, however tracing tools or tools that create objects are not.

I've changed my mind. I choose Footman as my unit. And here are some WIPs:

1st-wips-png.270955

Edit:
Another WIPs:

1st-wips-2-png.270964

And first icon:

btnfootmanrage-jpg.270965

Second icon:

btnboot2-jpg.271030
-- I think it works as an aura:
pasboot2-jpg.271031

WIPs:

2nd-wips-png.271032

Attachments

• 1st-WIPs.png
    1st-WIPs.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 620
  • 1st-WIPs-2.png
    1st-WIPs-2.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 587
  • BTNFootmanRage.jpg
    BTNFootmanRage.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 548
  • BTNBoot2.jpg
    BTNBoot2.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 540
  • PASBoot2.jpg
    PASBoot2.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 523
  • 2nd-WIPs.png
    2nd-WIPs.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
BTNHardShot.png
PASEaglePrecision.png
PASFatal Shot.png

The blood is still a wip, I got lazy to finish it tho.

EDIT:
Updated the Eagle Precision a bit, reworked the blood on the critical and added Toxic Grenade icon (still tentative)

Attachments

• BTNToxicGrenade.png
    BTNToxicGrenade.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 142
  • BTNHardShot.png
    BTNHardShot.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 142
  • BTNBulletCrit.png
    BTNBulletCrit.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 132
  • BTNEaglePrecision.png
    BTNEaglePrecision.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
I think I'm done.

Workflow wips:
69696969.png

Clicking an icon will redirect you to its resource page

EDIT: (Uploading...) doneee

Attachments

• BTNToxicGrenade.png
    BTNToxicGrenade.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 113
  • BTNBulletCrit.png
    BTNBulletCrit.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 103
  • BTNEaglePrecision.png
    BTNEaglePrecision.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 102
  • BTNHardShot.png
    BTNHardShot.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I'm done with my entry.

Click on the icons to redirect to the resource page.

1st-wips-png.271367

2nd-wips-png.271368

3rd-wips-png.271369

4th-wips-png.271370

Attachments

• BTNFootmanRage.jpg
    BTNFootmanRage.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 673
  • BTNFootmanCriticalStrike.jpg
    BTNFootmanCriticalStrike.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 692
  • BTNFootmanMagicSlam.jpg
    BTNFootmanMagicSlam.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 737
  • BTNFootmanConfederation.jpg
    BTNFootmanConfederation.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
Level 25
Shit, I thought I had tomorrow as well! I'll keep this post updated, but I'm not sure I'll manage in time! Here's two WIPs none the less. And yes, started to gimp out with the scale, it's cheap but I don't think I'll manage in time otherwise

Edit

This will have to do, sorry if the resources are uploaded a few minutes to late. And something is horribly odd with either my Photoshop saves or the Button Manager, I've no idea why the images are grainy; part from the spell-esque icon, that's me running out of time.

Final Entry

BTNGreenDragonScale.jpg BTNGreenDragonDevour.jpg BTNGreenDragonClaw.jpg BTNGreenDragonBreath.jpg

Attachments

• Dragon Claw - Sketchboard.png
    Dragon Claw - Sketchboard.png
    356.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Dragon Scale - Sketchboard.png
    Dragon Scale - Sketchboard.png
    392.7 KB · Views: 242
  • Dragon Breath - Sketchboard.png
    Dragon Breath - Sketchboard.png
    318.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Level 50
This will have to do, sorry if the resources are uploaded a few minutes to late. And something is horribly odd with either my Photoshop saves or the Button Manager, I've no idea why the images are grainy; part from the spell-esque icon, that's me running out of time.
You actually got two more hours as all contests use GMT time. Also remember to post entries to icon section as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.