• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #15 - Unit Corresponding Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

San

San

Level 32
Forced myself to do it. ;]
Did some hue change on some layers and refined something something.
147ePFp.png

2nd icon
UQgQNug.png

kzpUUEb.jpg

Pretty dope. Though, I'd try to make a bit of differentiation between the lower jaw and the blood. It's rather smeared as of now. Also, the background bleeds too much into the figure.

Are you always using the pencil tool to make your object's shape? Rather unexpected for me.
Anywho, 'think that the start is promising though be sure to emphasize more on the eye features as opposed to the foreground leaves.

Last edited:

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Work Wip's please!
View attachment 269914

If anyone has any suggestion on how to make the ground a little better i'm all ears.

Start with a bigger explosion and make the "beams" you have coming off the explosion too be shards of rock flying upward, as for the ground, make it one flat color, maybe a light brown and then go over it with a darker brown and make rocky textures in spots. Around the blast zone, where the the light hits the most should have a light effect projected on the ground area since its a explosion. Lastly, the colors need to be more vibrant and apealing, look up explosions on the hive and youll find some icons that have nice colors.

Level 25
Hello flowers, ladies and gentlemen, looking great so far! I'll be take a swing at this and Green Dragon will be my unit of choice until I change my mind and scrap it! Earlier WIP-stages can be found below and the icons are based on the same base image, simply two variants.

Icon Format
btnbreath-png.269993
btndevour-png.269994

Canvas Format
breath-png.269995

devour-png.269996
And the contest has started. It lasts til 1st of next month and extension will be given only if all contestants agree to have one (which never happens). One month is more than enough time to draw 4 icons so I hope you'll all get it on time. About the judges, I will most likely take that role, but anyone who knows how to review icon can ask to be contest judge. Ask me or post here.

To highlight most important rule of all: Only freehand work is accepted. CnPs, in-game screenshot edits, excessive filter-work, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted. Cheaters will be awarded with immediate disqualification and pocketful of warning points.

Have fun. xoxo
Regarding existing artwork, is this "too heavily referenced"?
PrintScrn_001.png
I used the game portrait as reference and some other crap that I didn't save. If it is to much, I'll just scrap and do something else! Serves as a WIP as well, as I'm horrible at actually documenting my progress.

Cheers!

Attachments

• BTNBreath.png
    BTNBreath.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 295
  • BTNDevour.png
    BTNDevour.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 282
  • Breath.png
    Breath.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Devour.png
    Devour.png
    275.7 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Hello flowers, ladies and gentlemen, looking great so far! I'll be take a swing at this and Green Dragon will be my unit of choice until I change my mind and scrap it! Earlier WIP-stages can be found below and the icons are based on the same base image, simply two variants.

Icon Format
btnbreath-png.269993
btndevour-png.269994

Canvas Format
breath-png.269995

devour-png.269996
I used the game portrait as reference and some other crap that I didn't save. If it is to much, I'll just scrap and do something else! Serves as a WIP as well, as I'm horrible at actually documenting my progress.

Cheers!

To me it doesn't really seem heavily referenced if you didn't completely trace the reference picture.

Level 24
@Arowanna

Whoa that's cool and a unique-styled work. It becomes cartoonish when turned into an icon, but man the concept-making is great!
The Devour part looked like its gonna spit out something or rather abduct somebody (dragon-ufo style). The light comes out too unnatural, consider spreading it. Ah well, that's my opinion. Good work ^^

As for the other part, I can't say really if that's allowed (the mods will decide that. But in my opinion, it's fine. It would be called heavy referencing if you screenshot it, edited that screenshot and used it as base, then put your own details and continued on that, etc.
But the screenshot portrait was just used as a normal reference. Plus, you did it by scratch and that concept (~ loving it).

Level 50
Interesting shape but you need to make it less blurry. Foreground blends into background too much. Maybe give the object some outline.

Pure black should be reserved for background only, use dark purple instead. Try to add more purple tones. I also think you could make it a bit brighter to make it blend in game more. Nice so far.

Give it more shading, make the volcano more prominent, more sharp, more in triangular shape. Background is overwhelming at the moment. Eruption could do with more vibrant coloring, add some chaotic movement to it.

I like how you did the slime, very warcrafty and interesting, both the definition and colors. Purple tones got very nice transition. But you fucked up the sword. It lost too much of its shape on left upper side and shading of it should be better.

I'm afraid it is, you'll have to draw something else. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Joking aside, of course it is good. But what's not good is to ruin such very nicely drawn dragon with simple green effect. I'm sure you can make effect better.

Reactions: San

San

San

Level 32
I tried very hard to draw a simple metallic texture, you know.
At least people can recognize it as a sword now. :confused:
Still, I'll see if I can improve it more.

Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
I dunno which is which, though.

Corrupting Presence (still a wip)
BTNCorruptingPresenceflipped.PNG
BTNCorruptingPresenceVar2.PNG
BTNCorruptingPresence.png

EDIT:
I don't know what I'm doing, but oh well.
Uncontrolled Fury
BTNUncontrolledFury2.png

All of these are tentative and may change :<
The first icon needs a teeth redo :xxd:

Attachments

• wip0.png
    wip0.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 71
  • wip1.png
    wip1.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Attachments

• BTNStaffOfMagic.jpg
    BTNStaffOfMagic.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
View attachment 269900
View attachment 269899

View attachment 269901 View attachment 269902

I feel more unmotivated updating stuff than making one.

Anyway. Nice work guys ^^
Need to see more your works!
Those are lookin' great, though, especially the Hide; don't give up!

I'm out of ideas, please send 911.
You were doing the Sludge Monster/Dalaran Reject, right? Man, there's plenty.
- You could do "Mitosis", a splitting ability (have the ooze splitting into two)
- You could do "Consume", like those gelatinous cubes from D&D (with the skeletons & weapons suspended in the ooze)
- You could do a "Sludgy Protection", having an enemy's attack getting stuck in the gloppy slime got me
- You could do a "Oozy Evasion", where the thing partially separates around an enemy attack, dodging it
- You could do a "Toxic Pit", where he burrows into the ground temporarily to make a sludgy death pit (ooh, that's not a bad idea actually...)
- You could do a "Slime Trail", like having him move fast & leave a gooey trail of death-slime in his wake that damages enemies (like a slug/snail)

Probably some more good ideas, but that's what comes to mind.

Reactions: San

San

San

Level 32
@Kyrbi0 Appreciated!
I'll be honest, all of the ideas you suggested are on my list except the Toxic Pit.
I'm also filtering the complicated ones so it would be easier for people to make actual spells based on them (assuming if anyone would use a sludge as playable unit :confused:)
Again, thanks for the heads-up.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
@Kyrbi0 Appreciated!
I'll be honest, all of the ideas you suggested are on my list except the Toxic Pit.
I'm also filtering the complicated ones so it would be easier for people to make actual spells based on them (assuming if anyone would use a sludge as playable unit :confused:)
Again, thanks for the heads-up.
You are very welcome!

Playable Sludge Unit, did you say?... (have to admit, several of those are very potentially going to be abilities I end up using/have already used. xD)

Level 50

Usefulness is the most overrated aspect of them all. You aren't making icons so they can be useful to other people, you are making them either to practice your skill or to display your skill, in the end you will be doing both. If someone wants useful icons, than they should go to requests forum. Don't filter advanced ideas because you think icons wouldn't be useful. Even if creativity takes it in wrong direction it is still a lot better than doing easy concepts. I never do ability icons myself, but they have much more potential than unit icons, you can do them in much more arbitrary way. The sludge is a theme that can be done in a unique fashion because of its material. You can give him most interesting shapes, playing with the proportions, light reflections....Put sludge down to basics, what is the original concept behind this unit? What are all the things you relate to him as character? What impression should sludge give, therefore in what direction should his abilities go? What are the materials you can use?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Usefulness is the most overrated aspect of them all. You aren't making icons so they can be useful to other people, you are making them either to practice your skill or to display your skill, in the end you will be doing both. If someone wants useful icons, than they should go to requests forum. ...
Even if this is true for your/this Contest (though it really ought to be said in the primary post/original idea thread), I don't believe this is a shared consensus about Contests in general. There are many who would argue that the point of a Contest is indeed to create new useful resources & foster the community communally.

It's actually something I've been studying & preparing to ask about.

San

San

Level 32
Both have fair points but I'm staying out of the debate because I'm not a wise human.
What impression should sludge give, therefore in what direction should his abilities go? What are the materials you can use?
Exactly, I always ask myself while drawing them.
I shamelessly think the three icons of mine are fitting rather well for my sludge character.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
I think your doing fine, the last icon needs to be more defined, the glow coming out of the wolfs mouth needs to be explained more, its very random.

4th icon, will make a final entry post and upload them to the Icon Section tomorrow. (if everything goes well)
aMwyH3w.png

msuo7ng.jpg

That green bit near the red eyes on the icon seems to throw off everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.