• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #13 - Icons for Director's Cut Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm busy right now :3

Basic colors...

Attachments

• WIP2.png
    WIP2.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 162
3rd WIP ...
:D
I thought my skills fade away .

EDIT :
I already finished my necromagus icon, but I will look for the other's work before I post my icon(because I'm not satisfied).
By now, I'm quite busy, I will make the ability icons maybe tomorrow or next week . :/

Attachments

• WIP3.png
    WIP3.png
    191.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
What's a freehand work?
This:
"Freehand is the brush strokes you create with brush or pen tool. One brushstroke is the same on the computer as it is in real life. So, with free hand.
Tracing an image is not considered freehand, since your hand is now guided by the lines in the photo.
Things that are not considered freehand, are tools to create shapes (circles, squares, triangles, ect.), filters, and so on."
In other words:
"Freehand drawing is a form, which is done only by means of hand and eye coordination. In simple terms, this type of drawing is done by a person without use of any tools like rulers, protractor, etc., or by using tracing or any other such techniques."

Level 30
Freehand, in my definition, is doing an artwork as it's name says, by hand. This means, but it's not limited to, drawing the base outlines, putting in the base colors, adding color variations, adding shadows and lightnings, adding texture on materials, and adding special effects. Basically, all of these must be done manually, mostly with brushes and tools such as Line, Marquee, Smart Selection, ...etc.

To take a part of another image and paste it on your artwork is not considered freehand, but copy and paste, and is prohibited. Also, drawing your outlines over an existing artwork is called tracing, and also isn't allowed. Filters are allowed, but only if you're using them to, for an example, soften texture up, blur the shadow/highlighting from brushes and strong lines, or to sharpen the finalized artwork to give it an extra edge.

And Sin, shape tools aren't prohibited completely. You may use those, but everything has a boundary. Nobody can draw perfectly straight by hand.

So in short, don't copy-paste, don't trace out and don't apply existing artwork over yours with filter settings to enhance your image and you're all good.

Erm. That does not seem legit, as in, it doesn't seem to fit the Hive's definition of "freehand". To be honest, I don't see a problem with using tools or anything like that so long as you don't trace or copy-and-paste.
I forgot to add that in the first paragraph i quoted enjoy, who is an experienced icon moderator and former administrator.
She knows things better than me, and her advice is always valuable.

Besides, who needs a perfect/precise circle in art, we don't make technical drawing in here. :)

...but shape tools aren't prohibited completely...
Yes, they aren't prohibited completely, but it's preferable to avoid abuses.
To draw a circle in an image using a tool, hmm, it's not such a big deal. But to draw all the lines in one icon using tools - it will look fake in the end.

Level 11
Update on the unit icon, I think I've made the face a bit too wide and it doesn't look quite right.

As for the ability icons, I haven't started them and don't really know what I could do for them.

attachment.php

I actually liked the facial expression and overall tone of your previous WIP better (tough serious look). This one looks too... Happy?

I actually liked the facial expression and overall tone of your previous WIP better (tough serious look). This one looks too... Happy?

That's because he's a happy little camper, lol.

I get what you mean, I just thought the proportions in the old face were a bit off but now it's just gotten worse please observe below for what happened:

Bean%2526whistler.jpg

Level 30
Random indeed, but they need to relate to the Hero. We don't need you to post abilities' descriptions and effects, just to draw them, and as we take a look to them, we must see that they're related in a way to the model you've chosen.

Well well. Ain't we got most of Hive top-notch artists around :razz:

Level 30
Dwarves do have a face slightly broader than humans do, but yours kinda reminds me of South Park characters. If you google "Dwarf Face", you'll find that their faces in most cases only have appearances of very slightly overweight and somewhat old people, so building muscle mass and wrinkles would do the job.
MMX_Dwarf_Final_Faces-mini.jpg

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
That is a fantastic little Contest/header/image-thing. Verah Noice.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/python-warrioress_fk-137558/?prev=mmr=6&r=20&page=2

This looks like my type. I'd do the Prime Matron but that's so mainstream and ratchet, even I can't help her anymore lol.
Ohhhhhhhhh sick. I am very excited. I'm the guy that got that thing modeled in the first place; (while I have an icon for it, it could use some competition) an icon for it would be great. Just make sure you do it for the Blue-Master-Race Jungle Troll version. xD

If you have to do spells & need some ideas, I might could be able to help you there... : )

Hello, I'll be joining the contest doing icons for Kwaliti's Deathwing model :>
But Maaaad, how are you supposed to draw Deathwing? He has no skullz. :<

Needs moar skullz.

Ha, you guys are worried about Mad joining? He'll lose; he can't draw anything but skullz. :p
<3

Status
Not open for further replies.