• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #11 - A Hero's Skillset

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not necessary to create a Portrait Icon. But while I didn't have good ideas, I modified an old icon and liked the result.

Maybe looking this icon, the ideas come to me.

Chronus: The Chronomancer
204181-albums4594-picture65052.png

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
morbent said:
Oh well, I guess I should stop trying to convince you people that it's not a red-blue spell :D If you have some free time, read this - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2066311-post215.html it will help you understand this icon a little bit more :\ I guess

To be honest, I'm not really into the whole 'forced visual imagery' in regards to the 'polarity switch. When I look at the hero, it just feels real contrived (like you said, solid black line with blue & red on either side). I know the hero designed turns red (and is normally blue), but perhaps a more generic icon-set will get that idea across a lot more clearly. This guy calls thunder, supercharges things, becomes overloaded, and can really fry his enemies via electrocution. He should reflect that. :p

That being said, I don't think your artistry is all that bad. The biggest issue I see is clarity; Blizzard icons are always really clear and high-contrast, with defined edges & bold colors (even on Lightning spells, see below). That might help people see things in your images.

BTNChainLightning.png

z_BETA_BTNChainLightining.png

z_BETA_BTNLightning.png

z_BETA_BTNWispHealOn.png

Spell_Nature_LightningOverload.png

BTNControlMagic.png

BTNStasisTrap.png

BTNPurge.png

BTNMonsoon.png

BTNManaFlare.png

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, Kyrbi w_at can I say, I_m not t_at _ood :D

I_ll try to make it more Blizzard-like.

Hey now, I'm not saying 'you phail' or anything. Just making notes of improvement.

Heck, the fact that you can draw is already much better than what I can do. :p Keep it up.
(I'll admit some selfishness in wanting to see your submission do well, as I was part of jigrael/Tarrasque's planning for that particular model's animations, and would love to see some icons for my rendition of the model. :p)

Last edited:
Level 28
xD Wow. Thanks Kyrby.

I'll try to not fail :p though, I'm not sure if I can do that. I always fail.

Btw, Marcos - nice icon, you should upload it, people might need to use it for the model :)

And Hemske, the shield/force field is really. Amazing.

Edit: (Updated... again.)

I made it more like the Blizzard Icons Kyrbi presented:

Ult%20%28Big%29.jpg

Ult.jpg

Ult.jpg

(Which of these 2 is better?)

(But the .jpg fails the quality.. which.. isn't so far from that anyway.)

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
morbent said:
Oh come now. How can you fail with all of this to look forward to? :p Really, though, much better, the top one especially. It appears less blurred than the bottom one, which is the point (clear, crisp contrast).

Something still kinda seems missing, but it'll take a better eye than mine to see what. Thoughts, all you actual artists out there? :p

~~~

@Hemske, I really rather like that "electro-pillar" thing. Actually looks kinda useful & Blizzard-y.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
xD Wow. Thanks Kyrby.

Btw, Marcos - nice icon, you should upload it, people might need to use it for the model :)

Ult%20%28Big%29.jpg

Ult.jpg

Ult.jpg

I would say the 2nd. But, on the 2nd put some highlights in the blue lightning it looks quite blurry.

Level 30
I'd say the problem here is too much fine detail thats been lost in the shrunk-down version :)

The large version looks great. However, when scaled down theres a lot of empty black space, and the lines that are visible lose artisticness as they appear really thin and blend together.

Perhaps this is a case of "less is more", e.g. I've made a few quick examples using your artwork which really show off the detail:

icon_1_zps4848fbe1.jpg
icon_2_zps147e5ca0.jpg

This is of course just a suggestion! May well be that other fellow hivers have some better ideas :)

Level 28
So you're saying - make the white fatter to not blend? I'll try that. Well I did (with the second version) and.. hmm.. I don't get it - you people prefer this:

Ult.jpg
(This is like some sausage [The red light with the white])

to this

209078-albums5714-picture65132.png
(And this looks more like a lightning... at least to me :cgrin:)

I prefer the second :\ which is the older version. Oh well, I must have some strange point of view when it comes to icons :D

Last edited:
Kyrbi0 and CloudWolf provided very reasonable feedback.

morbent, this one probably doesn't look complete, because too much of the lightning itself is shown, aswell as being presented through a pretty flat perspective - the original Blizzard examples that Kyrbi0 provided show how dynamic lightning can pe designed.
It is your choice which version you include as being part of your final entry, of course.

Level 28
Oh I'll use the new one of course, it's just that I've always preferred darker images. I never liked bright paintings with "happy" bright colors in them. It looks unrealistic. Whatever.

So, you think I should change the perspective? It's kinda hard to fit a "disk" with perspective in a square. I used the Photoshop perspective to get to this result (from the first version) and worked a little on the parts where it fucked it up but... really - I had some ideas of how to make it in a "good looking" perspective but it didn't fit so well. It was unbalanced - like, the lightning got to the end of the left and right side (of the square) but had a lot of space between the up and down sides of the square...

Well, I barely use Photoshop's inbuilt distortion features - the results never really satisfy me, so I tweak stuff manually.

The usual "large in front, small in back" applies to lightning aswell.
However, I assume the shape of this one doesn't allow for much in that regard. It's a circle after all.
Blizzard often displays lightning diagonally, which strengthens the portrayal of vivid and dynamic electric urges. I am unsure how this could be implemented in the shape of a ring.

I suggest you move on to the other ability icons, so you have the complete set available and can see how they work together. It's easier to tweaks things then to make several icons look coherent.

Level 28
Well, I guess I could have added the elemental itself in the circle, this would have allowed me not to show the whole circle but if I add it then how will I make the mirror image spell? Two figures for icons, this would look stupid. And yes BD, I'm making the other abilities atm.

I'll try to make them look coherent, thanks for the advise. Although, I might fail at this.

Edit: Here :\ The hammer ability. I failed at making the light things going around the hammer so I just skipped them.

Hamma.jpg

Hamma%20Small.jpg
Ult.jpg

(I wouldn't say they match each other BD :\)

Oh and, Pharaoh, I added some purple, as you wanted xD although, it's a bit "invisible". Blends too much. Well, it's good that it blends since I don't want any purple lightning around here, it won't answer to the abilities :?

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wait, huh? I see that the original icon was an edited Stormhammer, but the ability's called "XT Vortex" (what does that even mean?...), and the ability apparently... slows & pulls enemies into the Hero (so a vortex, ok), while when it's P.Switched, it pushes enemies away & heals & boosts the MS of allies.

WHAT.

Alright, the first problem is how difficult this is to understand; the icon for an ability should be a quickly-recognizable "bite" (if you will), that gives you a taste as to what the ability does. So...

XT Vortex
Slows & sucks in Enemies. //PS: Pushes away Enemies; Heals & +MS Allies

High Voltage
Temp. +Armor Boost to Self; Deals AoE Direct.Damage around Cast.Point. //PS: Damage is inverted.

Polarity Switch (PS)
Switch Modes (see abilities for effects); Gives momentary Phase-Thru; Passive +Damage //PS: Passive -MS for Enemies

NV1.8 Force Field
Channels, creating an AoE with: Constant DPS to Enemies inside; Leaving/Entering Enemies get Purged & -Mana. //PS: ...AoE with: Constant -Mana.per.second to Enemies inside; Leaving/Entering Enemies get Direct.Damage, Slow & Silenced

... Whew. Alright. I'm gonna put aside any disparaging comments (Like the fact that it took me nearly 10 minutes to read & decipher the effect of those tooltips alone means this hero is unwieldy even for a hero-based 'DotA'-style game, let alone for regular Warcraft!!), and just say:
This is what you're making icons for. Don't worry about the icons the user presented; those are stand-ins since he couldn't use anything else. Create your icons to symbolize those^ abilities, on that Hero.

~

Also, I realize your personal preferences may not include bright & shiny colors with high contrast. And that's OK. That's just Blizzard's style. Personally, I prefer seeing entrants mimicking Blizzard's style so I can use it in my maps (which are all Blizzard-compatible), so I'll admit a bias, but... :p

That being said, I think your two icons so far fit OK with each other. Rather drab, though, with lots of empty space. :< The more you contrast the lightning with whites, and showing less of the lightning (focus in more), the better, IMO.

One way to make (or rather "imply") a circle or force field might be this perspective: *insert poorly-drawn MSPaint*
IconIdea.png

Thoughts, anyone?

xD Wow. Thanks Kyrby.

Ult%20%28Big%29.jpg

Ult.jpg

Ult.jpg

The second one, and its awesome that you put black in the middle. Is the competition still on? I got disconected for 3 days for a major electricity fail.

Well, I guess I could have added the elemental itself in the circle, this would have allowed me not to show the whole circle but if I add it then how will I make the mirror image spell? Two figures for icons, this would look stupid. And yes BD, I'm making the other abilities atm.

I'll try to make them look coherent, thanks for the advise. Although, I might fail at this.

Edit: Here :\ The hammer ability. I failed at making the light things going around the hammer so I just skipped them.

Hamma.jpg

Hamma%20Small.jpg
Ult.jpg

(I wouldn't say they match each other BD :\)

Oh and, Pharaoh, I added some purple, as you wanted xD although, it's a bit "invisible". Blends too much. Well, it's good that it blends since I don't want any purple lightning around here, it won't answer to the abilities :?

The new hammer picture looks overall great, BUT, the right side of it looks more like blue spikes from some flower, you should do as you did with the red side to define it as lightning and that is - disconect some parts so it shows "fly inside air".
Its only a suggestion though and I could be dead wrong, I trust you to choose what to do.

Please remove the marked white. I think it will improve the total picture.

Attachments

• Ult.png
    Ult.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 198
Level 25
@Morbent and Kyrbio, thanks for the kind words :)

Here is the next icon in its current state, as well as a WIP for it and another version of my forcefield icon. Going for the last one now to see how they all work together. Will probably remake the force field though, as it differs quite much in style from the other two ones.

Attachments

• BTNOvercharge.jpg
    BTNOvercharge.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 219
  • BTNOverchargeWIP.jpg
    BTNOverchargeWIP.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 182
  • BTNForceField3.jpg
    BTNForceField3.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 3,131
Level 28
Sorry for not responding, I had some work today. Ok SO! It's kinda difficult to decide which version of the Ult to use since some people prefer the first version and others the second. Also, best player - I will see what I can do about that. I didn't like it as well but it kinda added something to the icon. I'll give you the icon with and without this thing you circled tomorrow (unless I get too lazy to work on it) cuz today I can't. Actually, best player I prefer the blue lightning of the hammer than the one in the Ultimate. It's not so blue and more defined (just my opinion), but I will try to make it like the other one and get your opinions here, see which one you like more.

Kyrbi0, I did btw. I really did. I mean, the Hammer ability (when cast) has some light-blue-teal things going around and lightning on the down part. I tried to make these light-blue-teal things - you can see them in the back of the icon (although one is red). But aa, as you can also see - it didn't turn out that well. When I re-make the handle (as Marcos suggested) it might look cooler.

Level 25
@morbent, I think you should try playing around a bit with the angle of the hammer icon, it is quite possible that it will look better with a more dynamic angle. I haven't understand what the spell the icon is made for is supposed to do though, maybe you have to have it in that angle you currently have.

Level 28
You mean make it look from above or from even more from below? And, I'm kinda lazy to re-work it xD But if I have some free time I'll see what I can do. Hmm... the icon doesn't have to be in that angle, the spell is a hammer which has lightning around it. It's an AOE spell. When it's with red fire it pushes enemies around it, when it's with blue lightning it closes them.

Level 25
Yeah well, if we take a look at blizzard's icon for example, they tend to use dynamic diagonal angles, or very close-up zoomed objects. Especially for spells like hammer throws, or weapon enchants etc.
images

icons_5544_btn.jpg

Inv_hammer_01.png

BTNINV_Hammer_10.gif

And when I myself have issues with an icon of mine I usually try out a dozen different angles and zooms, and it often help; or adds that little extra.
And I believe in your case with this icon, either make it throw downwards, or zoom in more and make the lightning affect the hammer's head rather than its handle.

I'm kinda lazy to re-work it
Oh, you've merged all layers, or don't you work in layers? I usually save a layer with the object and one for the effects when I'm done. Makes it easy to change stuff like this :)

Level 25
Well, angle, zooming, whatever makes your icon the very best possible, and what you yourself would feel comfortable and content with. Even if we tell you what we think it is still your choice to do. Don't zoom or change anything unless you think it will make the icon better looking.

Rift:
Created a vortex on a target area. When land units (both enemy and friendly) are
above the vortex, they will take damage per second and will have their movement
speed cut in half. Last 10 seconds.

204181-albums4594-picture65299.png

A WIP based on referrals, but it shows what I'm trying to do.

That looks AWASOME!!! Makes me wanna download it right away!!! Really like the combinition of ice + sand clock. "the sand is freezing and cannot move" wow that is a good icon!.
Staying to watch the competition was a good idea :thumbs_up:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Rift:

Hum. I really like that, actually... all except for the hourglass. Somehow it just looks like a different style than the (very Blizzard-ish) swirly sand-stuff. (Reminds me strongly of the Windows "waiting" icon, although I'm sure you free-handed; not an accusation. :p). Meh?
I'm excited for this hero, though. Good style.

Great job and they appear to be in perfect harmony, color-wise. The one I liked the most is Lightning Vortex. The Shocker is a bit too sharp though and I believe it could be fixed if the purple contour lost its intensity and looked liked a glowing trail instead. Thunderous Apocalypse needs to be remade, in my opinion. The background is too random and again, the purple enhancement is paralyzing the whole effect, unlike your trial to set it in simulated motion.

Since a small part of the judgement is going for the viewers, I decided to
Note out the icons I prefered and liked the most:
So far only 2 xD

I'm joining. I choosed this hero

Shocker : View attachment 122242
Lightning Vortex : View attachment 122244
Thunderous Apocalypse (Ultimate) : View attachment 122243

Didnt make lightning curse yet.

Thunderous Apocalypse 5/5 :thumbs_up:

Rift:
Created a vortex on a target area. When land units (both enemy and friendly) are
above the vortex, they will take damage per second and will have their movement
speed cut in half. Last 10 seconds.

Rift 5/5

And also that AVATAR :grin::grin::grin:

Attachments

172.7 KB · Views: 75
Level 25
Here is my entry as of final. I don't think I will be able to pass more time into this contest. So this is how they will be.

screenshotema.jpg

There is a bit of difference in sharpness/crispness in the in-game screenshot compared to the attached image, so make sure to check them both.

The entry is for this hero.

Attachments

• Icons.png
    Icons.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 120
Here is my entry as of final. I don't think I will be able to pass more time into this contest. So this is how they will be.

screenshotema.jpg

There is a bit of difference in sharpness/crispness in the in-game screenshot compared to the attached image, so make sure to check them both.

The entry is for this hero.
Overload is a passive ability hence the icon can't have active looking, as for the pictures themselves, his ultimate icon fits perfectly 5/5, his ForceField fits well -> espcially considering how it should counter magical damage and not just be a lightning with no magical ability, being a more megical looking image than a solid lightning one. 5/5
So all there is left now is the passive and his Electric Charge ability
Electric Charge works the same as chain lightning, in other words since
the spell itself is not original, the only thing to check is if the icon fits the
other icons made for the hero, in terms of colors harmony.
Also, the Electric charge effect is a bit different from chain lightning, its
a beam looking bolt that cause a falling downward lightning on effected units.

The icon fits other icons, the falling downward beam of lightning fits the effect. But I just can't shake the feeling that the downward lightning won't fit the targeted beam of lightning, I mean, it shows the final effect which is awesome but it would look much better if it was a side to down beam rather than only downward beam.
-> . // .<-
I give that 4/5

About the passive nonepassive Icon, Im not sure if this even a part of the
things I should check so I ignore that fact:
The overload abilty grant thunder clap orb effect (by triggers so the hero
can still carry an orb) after a few attacks was hitting.
Its an ability involved slow, lightning, terrain modification and "earthquake" effect on ground, and attacks using fists.
The icon contains a cannon which fits the other colors, I assume that the
cannon attempts to resamble the huge nuke on the suit, so it will fit the
model if I assumed right.
I am not sure why there are wooden sticks indside the cannon.
Even if it mean "electric won't effect wood so its ok to put it there"
Its just looks silly.
How come the cannon won't destroy the wood? high electric can do it.
Overall the icon fits the model and fits the ability but have tree branches
inside of electric cannon.
for that I give 4/5

Score:
4+4+5+5=18
18/4
= 4.5

* Feel free to comment about why there is tree inside electric cannon
maybe it will change the score

This.... is the contest thread.
Would you kindly wait for actual ratings until the poll is up?
Thanks...

OHHH you mean they don't get rating seperatly?
XD my bad!
Didn't know they compete in "who is better than the other"
So... yes, I would wait untill all of the competitionairs will put in their tries
And then rate them by who is better than the other.
First time in such a competition, just how long untill it over?

Level 25
@Best_player, thanks though :p And I will most likely not be able to change anything so It won't matter for me at least. But wait with your rating until the contest is finalized for the rest of the contestants :p

But I should explain the thing about the overload/overcharge icon, good you pointed it out. The reason it looks like it does is that his arms actually look weird like that. He has "cannons" as arms.

And the electric charge icon (chain lightning) does actually not work like a chain lightning in game, it works more like a burst of lightning, but deals less damage the more targets in range. Therefore I decided to make the blast like that.

Any judge who needs clarification can read this as well, when the contest is to be judged.

Last edited:
Thunderous Apocalypse :
New version View attachment 122256 ---- Old Version
122243d1359500347-icon-contest-11-heros-skillset-btnthunderous_apocalypse.png

Shocker :
New version : View attachment 122257 ---- Old Version
122242d1359500347-icon-contest-11-heros-skillset-btnlightning_bolt_contest.png

didnt change Shocker too much. I think the purple looks nice but I blurred it a bit.

better?
About Shocker:
Purple is the transition between warm and cold colour schemes.
It battles the bright, cold effect of the lightning you display at the moment, which is the main problem here.
Change its colour to pure blue or something similar, to emphasize the lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.