• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I dont get whats so special about permissions on this site...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
For example:
One can take resource x, never give a flying fuck about permissions, perform the required changes on the resource to become tailored to needs and use it in map anyways.
So now i have to ask: What has changed ? do people think that they lose control over their own resource when someone else made an edit on it, whats really the fuss about it ?

Its not like one could claim ownership over an edited version of an already existent resource, since the original is already there and a myriad people can present factual evidence that its made by the original creator first.
Yeah its yours, i obviously dont own it cpt. obvious, gotcha, so what ?

Really dont understand whats so terrible if one simply recolors an icon or changes a few bits on a model, the whole thing is more like being used as excuse for jerky behaviour.
I observed this only on this site, never did get to witness this being an issue of this extent at any other place.

Besides if you are that paranoid about sharing your stuff, why publish a resource at the first place ? I find the whole thing a bit offensive tbh, it sounds like you automatically proclaim everyone esle to be a bloody thief right out the bat just because you have produced a resource. wtf.

Edit: This post may seem like a rant at first place, however its not and i really dont get it.

Level 14
What an awful way to bring this topic up. :/ I'm all in for a decent, healthy discussion on permissions, but, dude, you've just used a map of an ACTIVE member to create a derivative work out of it - without giving ANY credits whatsoever.

Calm down.

Level 13
Well, honestly, I don't give two damn shit if one edits my resources.. not like I had many of them.. Actually, I never understood why is everyone asking for damn permission to edit, its just an extra shit for both the author and the one who requesting it.. If I was making a map I'm confident I'd edit the models for extra stuff or to save space, and I'd care for no second about the authors crying if I didn't ask for permission.. If he really bitches about it well f*ck his resource and him in particular and won't ever use anything of him, or just continue to give no crap :D cause this is highly against usefulness of the resource.. The easier its applicable for many needs, the more useful it is, and that I need to go over a day/week procedure for editing a cursed pixel on a damn picture.. well, is not useful at all. (And by this I'm not encouraging anyone to go riot and shit, till rulez up, you'll have to face the consequences)
Giving credits is essential anyways, and is good for references, generally who doesn't give credits or steals(eg: by not paying for them if we go on a real world scale) resources is an asshole.

This whole post looked rather personal to me.

I've never stated (in any of my resources) you need my permission to edit my resource blah blah blah. As long as credits are given, it's fine for me. So it looked to me like you are complaining about this one individual.

Also, I find it funny that some people personally asked me if they could use my stuff for their map, when it's... you know, public resource.

Level 29
dude, you've just used a map of an ACTIVE member to create a derivative work out of it - without giving ANY credits whatsoever.

Im pretty sure that i havent released anything on this site ever.
In other words:
what is this map ?
where is this map ?
if its here: how it got accepted in?
and most importantly: who the fuck is that ?

Some of my old maps(which are all ancient crap btw) may be still floating on epicwar, even if only one of those somehow managed to resemble another one's work then i would like to know in exactly which way and how they do so.

Giving credits is essential anyways, and is good for references, generally who doesn't give credits or steals(eg: by not paying for them if we go on a real world scale) resources is an asshole.

OKay, may have been an asshole aswell, for i thought credits should be reserved for people that actually help instead random people on the net which public resources ive used.
Secondly its a pain in the ass to scan through the entire hive again per resource to look up every single author, when you are of the type that deletes the archive and with it the readme that contained the author's name after unzipping.
Credits going to basically the whole hive site would have been enough i guess.

Edit:
This whole post looked rather personal to me.

Rest assured that its not. I dont have any quarrel with anyone in particular, nope.

Level 13
I don't think that if game making companies would just simply put "Random ppl who work for us" line in the credits would make those random ppl happy.. Anyways, I don't think its so hard to make a txt and paste new names when you download something

Let me give you a simple solution. Credit the people whose Systems (Spells) you used. They are the fewest, and shouldn't be very hard to find. Credit 2-3 modelers and stop there. Kindly apologize to anyone and everyone you left out, and promise that if someone sees their work used, but not credited, will be added to the credits list. Voila!

If you don't like giving credits then don't use the models.
If giving credits is such a pain to you, why do you use downloaded models?
And lastly. Why won't you give credits to a person who (if you use his model) has improved your map? The map would not have been improved if he hadn't taken his time and talent to create the model in the first place.

Credits are a way to thank the uploader of a model/icon/skin/system because your map has been improved by it.
If you think your map is perfectly fine without said ressource, then don't use. Actually it makes no sense to use it because it will increase the map size.

Level 29
Let me give you a simple solution. Credit the people whose Systems (Spells) you used. They are the fewest, and shouldn't be very hard to find. Credit 2-3 modelers and stop there. Kindly apologize to anyone and everyone you left out, and promise that if someone sees their work used, but not credited, will be added to the credits list. Voila!

Aha, that seems something even i could do.
I will do exactly so in the future.

Since the topic has derailed into 'but you never did credit, hurr-durr' may request a lock aswell.

Level 14
Im pretty sure that i havent released anything on this site ever.
In other words:
what is this map ?
where is this map ?
if its here: how it got accepted in?
and most importantly: who the fuck is that ?

Some of my old maps(which are all ancient crap btw) may be still floating on epicwar, even if only one of those somehow managed to resemble another one's work then i would like to know in exactly which way and how they do so.

Wait, didn't you just release that Dwarven Race map? No? Am I mistaken? If so, accept my sincere apology. I took you for another guy, and thought that he was whining that his resource got rejected.

Level 29
Wait, didn't you just release that Dwarven Race map? No? Am I mistaken? If so, accept my sincere apology. I took you for another guy, and thought that he was whining that his resource got rejected.

Nope, not me. Apology accepted.
Im still developing the latest idea i had, in fact none of the faction designs are finished yet, what im saying that there is nothing that i could possibly release yet.
:}

Level 23
I kinda agree about the permissions. No doubt it takes a little bit of time from the user and the author but I think it's just right to do that if the author wants you to ask for permission. Credits is a must though imo. I could just imagine working hard making that stuff only not to be credited by the one who uses it for their map.

There is nothing wrong to edit someone else model, no matter if it is a custom made, originally edited or something on the middle ground.
If you plan to incorporate your model into your project and not upload it for people to use freely it is totally fine. If you protect your map even better. Shame on people that just rip resources of maps, since you should not do it in the first place.
If you need that edit to test some vital function it should be no harm to the original author.

But you should be aware that if you plan to post your project, map, campaign or whatever to the open ether of the net then you might want to contact the original author to let them know what you did.
Most would not veto that I guess.

So it is always better to ask since it is not too hard.
Honesty also always wins.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I can understand where Eagle is coming from with his OP.

I simply do not have the time nor the opportunity to credit everyone I used resources from, let alone ask them for permission to edit their resources. I do that for big resources, but for a 3kb attachment model that is just a ripped geoset of an existing unit in the game uploaded on hive? Ain't gonna happen!
Almost no model I used from hiveworkshop could be used without some editing here and there in my case. Either was the model missing some optimization in terms of filesize, or there was a death animation missing (in terms of attachment models) or the attachment bone coordinates had to be re-adjusted to fit most attachment models.
Almost any weapon/shield attachment here on the hive is way too large for any realistic art style (I don't get this hive fetish for ridicolously oversized weapons).
And a lot of the unit models you can get here are poorly optimized. Sometimes this goes as far as having complete geosets of invisible vertices that can be removed.
If I had to ask for permission to do all those adjustments, I could have never released any significant map updates within reasonable time.

Also, people claim to have the intellectual property on resources, that were actually ripped or edited initially. Take for example Born²Modificate. There's no denial about the good thing he did to the WC3 community and everyone who uses his resources without crediting him is imho a giant douche. The quality of all the models is amazing and there is no doubt he put a tremendous amount of work into it.
However, all this doesn't change the fact that all the textures are just rips and edits from Gothic.

Asking for permission to edit or giving credit to a resource imho really depends on the scale of the resource. If I can tell that a resource took time and dedication to make, I will definitely give credit, no matter what. I will ask for permission when editing a custom made unit model that was made from scratch and not just modified from the existing game files. I'll mention people like 67chrome, who constantly contributed quality work to this community completely free to use for years. I will mention guys like Vexorian, Magtheridon, Nestharus and all the other guys who wrote all those nifty hacks and systems that made all the fancy stuff we can do nowadays possible. I think we can all agree that without Vexorian and Newgen, WC3 modding would have probably been dead years ago.

In return, I don't really care about people stealing maps either. It's a rare case that someone who "steals" a map actually delivers quality content that people actually *play* on garena or bnet. And if they do, even better! With WC3 being long past the peak of it's popularity, we can need more quality content, no matter where it comes from.
I remember the time where I wanted to quit mapmaking for the upcoming SC2 release. I uploaded a public, non-protected version of Gaias for the public to continue. I was really hoping for someone to do that. But it never happened. Even as my map was completely accessable for everyone, nobody really did anything to it.

The only thing that derived from it was Shadows of the Past from -Kobas-.
He initially started out using the collected model resources and doodads and some core systems, but then continued to move away from the source more and more, until it became an actual new game with unique systems and flavours that is completely different to Gaias.
I think he still mentions it in the credits, but I would totally not mind if he didn't do that, simply because SotP is a high quality map that imho every WC3 player should have played at least once that enriches the WC3 modding scene.

Reverse-engineering is an important aspect of content making. I think it's in everyone's interest to make it as easy as possible, especially since all resources on hive are non-profit anyway.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
my three hundred and twenty one cents:
I always uploaded my resources hopefully someone find it useful, so it's up to them if they want to edit it or even re-make it (true dumbass) but under their own risk. But it's also people's right if they want the other to have his permission first to edit his resources. You just can't say "no".

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
@Zwiebelchen, you make it sound like you have to ask for permission to edit a resource that will only be used in your own map. Asking for permission to edit resources is only relevant when you will be redistributing it as a separate resource. So if you want to create a model and upload it and you base it off somebody else's you'd need permission, but if you edit a model to make it fit in your map, there's no need for permission. In both cases, you will of course always need to credit the original author, but permission is only necessary for redistributing an edited resource.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
@Zwiebelchen, you make it sound like you have to ask for permission to edit a resource that will only be used in your own map. Asking for permission to edit resources is only relevant when you will be redistributing it as a separate resource. So if you want to create a model and upload it and you base it off somebody else's you'd need permission, but if you edit a model to make it fit in your map, there's no need for permission. In both cases, you will of course always need to credit the original author, but permission is only necessary for redistributing an edited resource.
I know that. I was more or less just stating the status quo.

I simply do not have the time nor the opportunity to credit everyone I used resources from, let alone ask them for permission to edit their resources. I do that for big resources, but for a 3kb attachment model that is just a ripped geoset of an existing unit in the game uploaded on hive? Ain't gonna happen!
Almost no model I used from hiveworkshop could be used without some editing here and there in my case. Either was the model missing some optimization in terms of filesize, or there was a death animation missing (in terms of attachment models) or the attachment bone coordinates had to be re-adjusted to fit most attachment models.
Almost any weapon/shield attachment here on the hive is way too large for any realistic art style (I don't get this hive fetish for ridicolously oversized weapons).
And a lot of the unit models you can get here are poorly optimized. Sometimes this goes as far as having complete geosets of invisible vertices that can be removed.
If I had to ask for permission to do all those adjustments, I could have never released any significant map updates within reasonable time.

Also, people claim to have the intellectual property on resources, that were actually ripped or edited initially. Take for example Born²Modificate. There's no denial about the good thing he did to the WC3 community and everyone who uses his resources without crediting him is imho a giant douche. The quality of all the models is amazing and there is no doubt he put a tremendous amount of work into it.
However, all this doesn't change the fact that all the textures are just rips and edits from Gothic.

Asking for permission to edit or giving credit to a resource imho really depends on the scale of the resource. If I can tell that a resource took time and dedication to make, I will definitely give credit, no matter what. I will ask for permission when editing a custom made unit model that was made from scratch and not just modified from the existing game files. I'll mention people like 67chrome, who constantly contributed quality work to this community completely free to use for years. I will mention guys like Vexorian, Magtheridon, Nestharus and all the other guys who wrote all those nifty hacks and systems that made all the fancy stuff we can do nowadays possible. I think we can all agree that without Vexorian and Newgen, WC3 modding would have probably been dead years ago.

In return, I don't really care about people stealing maps either. It's a rare case that someone who "steals" a map actually delivers quality content that people actually *play* on garena or bnet. And if they do, even better! With WC3 being long past the peak of it's popularity, we can need more quality content, no matter where it comes from.
I remember the time where I wanted to quit mapmaking for the upcoming SC2 release. I uploaded a public, non-protected version of Gaias for the public to continue. I was really hoping for someone to do that. But it never happened. Even as my map was completely accessable for everyone, nobody really did anything to it.

The only thing that derived from it was Shadows of the Past from -Kobas-.
He initially started out using the collected model resources and doodads and some core systems, but then continued to move away from the source more and more, until it became an actual new game with unique systems and flavours that is completely different to Gaias.
I think he still mentions it in the credits, but I would totally not mind if he didn't do that, simply because SotP is a high quality map that imho every WC3 player should have played at least once that enriches the WC3 modding scene.

Reverse-engineering is an important aspect of content making. I think it's in everyone's interest to make it as easy as possible, especially since all resources on hive are non-profit anyway.

what about me? :xxd: I've always given you guys stuff to work with, i think
and i approve every request to edit my stuff

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Well I was actually an apologist of crediting people, but I liked your post nevertheless, Zwie.

EDIT: It makes me wonder, is it true that we've got so many models needing optimization? Perhaps we should start a new endeavour to get in touch with those authors and have the proper adjustments made? What do you guys think?

Well I was actually an apologist of crediting people, but I liked your post nevertheless, Zwie.

EDIT: It makes me wonder, is it true that we've got so many models needing optimization? Perhaps we should start a new endeavour to get in touch with those authors and have the proper adjustments made? What do you guys think?

eh.. i deem it impossible oo well, i just don't wanna go and call up everyone, with some of them having a very slim chance to be even around, less alone interested in war3

Just modificate the model to your liking and import into your map and give credits. You will have plenty of imported models in your map, thus a long list of credits and no one will bother to control what you have actually did to their model or texture. Just don't talk about it and no one will care, after all your map won't be much popular.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
eh.. i deem it impossible oo well, i just don't wanna go and call up everyone, with some of them having a very slim chance to be even around, less alone interested in war3
Yes that's the slight twist with my idea: you'd make the edits for them in case they were gone for good. In cases like the geosets of invisible vertices, for example, it's not like we're changing the product at all, but optimizing it.

mhm.. i don't really like that idea.. maybe i'm old-fashioned? ._. or just lazy

besides.. i really think it's not humanly possible for any of us to download, fix and re-upload every single model in this database ._. not to mention that some old models here have been made rather crudely, yet they were among the first ones, so they stay approved S: i also don't want to tamper with such

Level 29
Mmh, instead searching for ppl to appoint at fixing resources, maybe it can be allowed for else than original author to submit the fixed up variant he/she already had to made for own usage, and thus already exists but cannot be uploaded because ... reasons like would duplicate it i guess.
Albeit ofcourse through moderator of corresponding section's permission and under control of what exact changes had been performed on the resource in the name of optimization or to fix it.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I'd say at least 70% of all submitted models are poorly optimized or suffer from the lack of standards in the models section.

In most cases, the optimizations would only save a few kb in size, but that still adds up with multiple imports in a map.

For units models, for example, I've seen a lot of models with unused vertices deriving from the base model; for example, the additional staff mesh used for one single animation on the priest model, even if the edited model is weapon-less. Or the tools on workers. There's also a lot of unused textures to be found on some models.
A lot of hero models also have the gutz texture and the remainders of former death decay animations. A hero model does not need those and it takes up a considerable amount of file size.
Also, most models are not optimized with for example MDLvis "linearize animation" procedure, which saves a lot of kbs if a model has a high amount of animations without any visible change in animation quality.

In case of attachment models, the matter is even worse. Almost none of the attachment models has a proper death animation. It takes only 1 minute to create a simple death animation that just instantly hides all materials.
A death animation is required for any attachment model to be used via Special Effect natives. Only attaching via object data does not need a death anim. Having a proper death anim makes the model compatible to both methods. I think this should be a core requirement for model approval imho.
I also often see models that could easily use ingame textures for the same looks but still use custom textures.

Level 29
Shameless plug.

Either way, what you are suggesting is not practical.
Nobody is going to waste days upon days optimizing 10 years old models that nobody ever used or will use.

Something more practical is allowing users to upload revisions of models, that way if someone actually uses a model and changes it in a good way, the changes can be shared.
This requires a big change to the resource pages and uploading scheme though.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Something more practical is allowing users to upload revisions of models, that way if someone actually uses a model and changes it in a good way, the changes can be shared.
This requires a big change to the resource pages and uploading scheme though.
... which is not legal unless the terms and conditions of uploading resources get changed. And this requires all people that uploaded them prior to those changes to agree (or get their resources taken down).

Could a request section do?
Where users links (or whatever) to the model they want to change, gives reason why they want to edit the model, and tell what they are planning to do with the model.
A mod could check the requested model and approve/disapprove.

I mean. Some users can't be contacted anymore so getting permissions from them is impossible. So their models can never be optimized because they have been offline for years.

Edit:
Typos

Last edited:
Level 29
... which is not legal unless the terms and conditions of uploading resources get changed. And this requires all people that uploaded them prior to those changes to agree (or get their resources taken down).

I just looked at the rules for the first time in my life, and I can't see anything anywhere saying the rights are reserved for the creator.

As to agreeing, that is actually wrong. You can go with it the other way - not doing anything means agreeing. This is the way PayPal works, for example.
This way, you simply send a private message / email to all model creators stating the EULA is going to be changed, and they should do something if they do not agree.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Came late to the party.

For example:
One can take resource x, never give a flying freak about permissions, perform the required changes on the resource to become tailored to needs and use it in map anyways.
So now i have to ask: What has changed ? do people think that they lose control over their own resource when someone else made an edit on it, whats really the fuss about it ?

Its not like one could claim ownership over an edited version of an already existent resource, since the original is already there and a myriad people can present factual evidence that its made by the original creator first.
Yeah its yours, i obviously dont own it cpt. obvious, gotcha, so what ?

Really dont understand whats so terrible if one simply recolors an icon or changes a few bits on a model, the whole thing is more like being used as excuse for jerky behaviour.
I observed this only on this site, never did get to witness this being an issue of this extent at any other place.

Besides if you are that paranoid about sharing your stuff, why publish a resource at the first place ? I find the whole thing a bit offensive tbh, it sounds like you automatically proclaim everyone esle to be a bloody thief right out the bat just because you have produced a resource. wtf.

Edit: This post may seem like a rant at first place, however its not and i really dont get it.
I see what you're saying, but all this stuff, Credits & Permission to Edit... It's all just a part of living in civilized, ethical society, in my opinion. Yes, everything up here is available for use & re-use... It's simply common courtesy to both Credit the works that you used, and to ask Permission to Edit it when necessary.

I consider the resources made by users here to be works of art, of a sort. Would you modify works of art for your own benefit?

Secondly its a pain in the butt to scan through the entire hive again per resource to look up every single author, when you are of the type that deletes the archive and with it the readme that contained the author's name after unzipping.
Credits going to basically the whole hive site would have been enough i guess.
Yeaaaahh... Even when you delete the .zip, the unzipped folder has the readme. And while it's a pain, again, it's just something we need to do. I've been doing it for years.

There is nothing wrong to edit someone else model, no matter if it is a custom made, originally edited or something on the middle ground.
If you plan to incorporate your model into your project and not upload it for people to use freely it is totally fine. If you protect your map even better. Shame on people that just rip resources of maps, since you should not do it in the first place.
If you need that edit to test some vital function it should be no harm to the original author.

But you should be aware that if you plan to post your project, map, campaign or whatever to the open ether of the net then you might want to contact the original author to let them know what you did.
Most would not veto that I guess.

So it is always better to ask since it is not too hard.
Honesty also always wins.
I pretty much agree, though I'm kinda surprised to hear it coming from you. I dunno, you just strike me as a really protective artist, not liking people to modify your stuff. (deja vu?)

So but wait, you're saying it's OK to Edit things without permission, as long as we don't re-upload it? Huh, that'd be super convenient for me...

Hrm... I'm not sure I agree with this. Credits are important; you're showing your appreciation for the work that went into stuff. Granted, not everyone does the same amount of work (a Jigrael-classic compared to a geomerged footman & centaur head)... But someone somewhere did some work to help you out.

So are you saying that Geomergers are less worthy of credit than Scratch Artists?

Ok, now coming from Ralle... Seriously? I coulda sworn we had to ask Permission to Edit anything, generally. But you're saying that's only for re-uploads? Crazy, that's super-helpful.
I'll probably still ask for permission, but merely as a courtesy...

"Apologist", I like that...

While I like the idea of optimization, I agree with many others; this wouldn't be worth the time & effort. Perhaps on a personal basis, or perhaps (with an overhaul of the system) allowing any regular user to upload 'improvements' as 'addendums' to a given resource... In fact, the latter might provide a good "practice ground" for beginner modelers/artists/etc in practicing the craft...

I just looked at the rules for the first time in my life, and I can't see anything anywhere saying the rights are reserved for the creator.

As to agreeing, that is actually wrong. You can go with it the other way - not doing anything means agreeing. This is the way PayPal works, for example.
This way, you simply send a private message / email to all model creators stating the EULA is going to be changed, and they should do something if they do not agree.
Weird. I coulda sworn that'd all be in there...

^Yeah, it's more about putting the onus to do something on the user, rather than the company.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Basicly, if the EULA doesn't state otherwise (which it doesn't in this case), then the rights are yours by default.
That's the reason why for example blizzard states in their EULA explicitly that WoW characters are their property, not that of the player.

you give credit and ask permission because you're basically using an artists work. I've compared the Hive resource section to an Art Gallery many times in the past.

We put in all our hard work to make our models.
We provide the material you use.
We do what we can for the modding community. Skinners, coders, modellers; we are the modding community.

The comparison I've made plenty of times, is that each resource is like... a painting, if you will. The Resource Section is an art gallery, where we submit our projects for free; and all we ask in return is that we get a little note below our work saying "By <Artist's Name>". Refusing to credit us for the work we put into the models/skins/codes that make your paltry map project possible is incredibly rude.
As far as the art gallery thing goes, that's like coming in during the night, taking our pride and joy, the things we've worked so hard on, putting it in your own gallery, and saying "Hey, look at this awesome model! I made this! It's mine!".

Far as I can tell, these things are our intellectual property, and you're saying you have a right to steal it from us. Shame on you.

And as an artist, to hell with people that think and act like this.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I thought a few minutes about it, I think that asking for permission is good but not needed. If someone would have modified some of my systems for personal use I wouldn't give a f*ck. Because they have a reason for it, maybe my system is badly coded and are missing some feature and the person don't want to make the system from scratch themselves because my system is missing one feature. I see no reason on why anyone shouldn't allow that, so why bother asking? However if they want to upload it to public and claim credit for a edited work, that's another story. If I want to create Footman Frenzy 9.0 I'd say it's a must to ask for permission of the original creator.

I thought a few minutes about it, I think that asking for permission is good but not needed. If someone would have modified some of my systems for personal use I wouldn't give a f*ck. Because they have a reason for it, maybe my system is badly coded and are missing some feature and the person don't want to make the system from scratch themselves because my system is missing one feature. I see no reason on why anyone shouldn't allow that, so why bother asking? However if they want to upload it to public and claim credit for a edited work, that's another story. If I want to create Footman Frenzy 9.0 I'd say it's a must to ask for permission of the original creator.

Just because you "would not give a fuck" about it, does not automatically mean that people think the same. Some may get very hurt and angry if you did so without even asking.
If you are not courageous enough to ask then this is not the right place.
If you do not care about how others might react then this is not the right place.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
True, others might think different. But this is the site-discussion part of the forum so that's the whole point, yeah?
Definitely; I'm glad this is here.

Obviously, the "level of one's caring about credit" can lie on a wide spectrum, with everything from "I don't care; you know what, DONT credit me!" to "if you don't credit me, I'll hunt you down & murder you in your sleep".

Generally the 'best solution' can be found as the mean/average between two ends (i.e. a compromise), but in this case, since one end cares deeply and the other end not at all, it then stands to reason that the best solution is a 'lowest-common-denominator' approach of requiring people to give credit & ask for permission. This can perhaps be accomplished by including in the 'official site rules' a general statement to the effect of "Credit the authors of the work you use" and "Ask the author for permission before editing".

Of course, all of the above is stated with the understanding that in the free & lawless world of the Internet, not much can be done from stopping someone from editing models or not crediting or what-not; it'd be too much work for moderators & administrators to hunt offenders down, and for those on the privacy of their own computers... well. (We can stop them from uploading edited models, sure). At that point, it lies with the users themselves to resolve such issues, perhaps by boycotting users' & their creations when they don't conform to the (eventual) rules, perhaps by alerting Mods/Admins, etc.

Thoughts?

Level 16
I believe in the general unspoken rule of courtesy. I myself am not always courteous, but I have been brought up to ask before doing, while other have found it easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact. In many cases of this, some often don't feel the need to even ask for forgiveness.
It's a wide range of people's beliefs in this world. While making one rule that you might think is making things better, your bound to piss others off.
I have learned to accept the fact (while being rather disgruntled myself at time), you can't please everyone, so why try? Do what you feel is in the best interest, from there figure out what works best.

I think "asking for permission" is what makes THW great. <--- that's my 2 cents.

Reactions: Rui

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I believe in the general unspoken rule of courtesy. I myself am not always courteous, but I have been brought up to ask before doing, while other have found it easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact. In many cases of this, some often don't feel the need to even ask for forgiveness.
It's a wide range of people's beliefs in this world. While making one rule that you might think is making things better, your bound to piss others off.
I have learned to accept the fact (while being rather disgruntled myself at time), you can't please everyone, so why try? Do what you feel is in the best interest, from there figure out what works best.

I think "asking for permission" is what makes THW great. <--- that's my 2 cents.
You make some excellent points. Not the least of which is that there are many ways to "show credit", and even within the category of "those that are willing to show credit" there is a spectrum (Spectrum within a spectrum... Spectrum-ception?).

For example, I have plans (with my works) to have 2 separate Credits lists in my Quest log; one by Item (for those who say "Hey, this ___ is really cool; who made it?"), and one by Author (for those who say "Man, what all did ___ do for this project?"). Moreover, since I've had several people help me over the years who's work ended up in the 'recycle bin' due to changes in the plan, I intend on including these people in a Credits list.

However, to expect everyone to be so anal-retentive is flirting with madness, methinks. :p Hence the simplistic and self-monitored rules I suggested above.

Thoughts?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
JCarrill0 said:
Going towards what Kyrbi0 said, «show credit» is probably not going to piss a lot of people who don't care about credits, so making it the general rule is the best way to go.

Although I found that there are people willing to fight your credibility saying you're out for the fame, I share the same fierce respect for people's works as Frankster. The reasons for doing that may be more or less obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.