• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

I dont get whats so special about permissions on this site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Also, is it generally understood then that "Permissions to Edit" really means "Permissions to Edit & Upload"? This was talked about, and many of you seem to feel this way or assume that's the way it was, whereas I had never heard of this. Anyone got the 'official rulez' on this matter? :p

Far as I'm concerned, permissions aren't a problem for me. The only thing that really matters, is that people find a use for my resources, and properly credit me for my work, no matter how heavily modified my base resources are before their inclusion in someones project.

Way I've always seen it, you submit a resource you either don't need, or wanted to make, get your name out there, get requests from other project leaders to help out, and sharpen your skills over time.

Also, is it generally understood then that "Permissions to Edit" really means "Permissions to Edit & Upload"? This was talked about, and many of you seem to feel this way or assume that's the way it was, whereas I had never heard of this. Anyone got the 'official rulez' on this matter? :p

For me a permission to edit mean that those who edit the model might use it in either project. And only there.
I always add that they are not allowed to upload it anywhere in any case.

Level 16
For me a permission to edit mean that those who edit the model might use it in either project. And only there.
I always add that they are not allowed to upload it anywhere in any case.

let me ask an example. Sunreaver has a blood elf wizard model he uses in his blood elf race map. I have pointed out he uses the model for a hero unit, and the same model for a caster unit.

I asked if he could remove the hero glow from the caster unit, but told me he was not allowed to do so because the editor denied permission to edit.

So, he can't change it correct?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I asked if he could remove the hero glow from the caster unit, but told me he was not allowed to do so because the editor denied permission to edit.
He can *do* that? Why? Why in the wide world would he do that?

JCarrill0 said:
Let's be clear; he can, of course, do whatever he wants. However, it appears he should not, if it is against the creator's wishes.

However, we should all have a nice long chat with this 'creator', since hero-glow is such a small thing...

let me ask an example. Sunreaver has a blood elf wizard model he uses in his blood elf race map. I have pointed out he uses the model for a hero unit, and the same model for a caster unit.

He can change it but it would be 'immoral' and he would be pretty much an asshole for doing something against someone's will.
But in reality edits are done underhanded and none can really stop it. The biggest we can achieve as a community is mutual respect and understanding then things would be much easier to understand for all people.

I'm totally fine with people uploading edits or remakes of my content, so long as they don't start saying that they did it from scratch. I've basically just said that if you do decide to upload a modified version of one of my models, link the base material in your submission, and credit me for my work.

I mean, just look at what people have done with basic model edits, it gets absurd how very vastly different those models are from the base material in the MPQ's.

Besides that, I've started adding modding utility to my models. My Knights can be turned into Archmagi, Death Knights heroes or regular units, my Thane can also be turned into an Archmage-type model. I want people to take my work and go with it; I just don't want them saying that they did it all on their own.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
VE said:
Besides that, I've started adding modding utility to my models. My Knights can be turned into Archmagi, Death Knights heroes or regular units.
Well that, and all your recent models have both Dissipate & Decay anims (don't take up that much room, and handy either way), the Bear Knight you made a bit ago was 2 separate units (so a user could use either one), etc.

I mean, just look at what people have done with basic model edits, it gets absurd how very vastly different those models are from the base material in the MPQ's.
Definitely. A great example is the Raptor Rider that PROXY has been working on for me... I have had almost a half-dozen people work on that, at this point. The Raptor mesh came from WoW (I believe) as well as the Raptors anims. But the (amazing) UVWrap was all PROXY. The rider's mesh (esp. the awexome spear) was PROXY... But his anims come from Lord_T's Raptor Rider. EXCEPT Death & Decay which were fixed up by JesusHipster! Then the icon came from Mad. Lol.

May not be easy to Credit, but hey, it's worth it to me. And it's amazing what people can do working off of each other. It's just like programming; the best stuff in programming isn't just all coded by one person. Programming is a field with a boatload of collaboration & circular improvement.

Level 16
He can change it but it would be 'immoral' and he would be pretty much an asshole for doing something against someone's will.
But in reality edits are done underhanded and none can really stop it. The biggest we can achieve as a community is mutual respect and understanding then things would be much easier to understand for all people.
This goes back to my first post on this topic.
Although, I have to agree removing something as a hero glow for the better of the model being a caster unit, is kind of silly, perhaps there is a way to void the glow then without actually editing the model? It does seem a bit sad to be labeled an @$$ for doing what I spoke of.

Sorry if that gets things offtopic.

i am both a resource author (though infrequently) and a mapper (even less frequently).
mutual respect means that resource authors shouldn't be vainglorious and uptight. if you want to exhibit your art for viewing but not for touching, there is deviantart for that. the resource sections aren't exhibitions, and you do no good by making mappers fear removing a hero glow or wasting their time through unreasonable permission demands under the hypocritical pretense of "wanting them to respect me".

i support crediting any authors/co-authors of resources used in your map. i do not support authors misunderstanding the whole point of uploading a resource (which is, by definition, an input used in a process), because that's disrespectful and deceitful to mappers.

Status
Not open for further replies.