1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Getting tired of this.

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Vexorian, Feb 10, 2005.

1. aarkshark

aarkshark

Resources:
    Resources:
    The sad thing is, the first post, is all true....
    Comon people, at least try to tell what/why you like/hate something.... sheesh

2. DeadDogNoGoWoof

DeadDogNoGoWoof

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    getting further into this topic, I think that we should now stop saying 'i totally agree with you, this needs to stop' and such, but that we should relaly take action, even if it means someone else running this site, not darky, because hes too busy paying his 17.99 a month for internet wow play :? . though he seems to have dissapeared from wowledge also..?/ Well first: Vexorian should be a super moderator/site admin for all intents, purposes, and flashy nametags. mods should make some serious productive changes to the rules, like tighter submission stuffs, and MORE MODS. mods are the shepereds, and we are the lambs. What follows are myy beliefs, and to avoid more words, ill take the place of a mod:

What Mods should do:
    when people post ANYTHING ANYWHERE, the post needs to be atleast 3 lines long. Like Eusira suggested, no voting a 1 when resources have 'X' votes 'X' high. Be On More. Many mods i see i have never heard the names of before, and dont seem to be doing much, though, of course, i might be wrong. Have more strict resource guidelines. If something doesnt go in accordance to the rules, without a second thought, contact the author and take down the resource. This should done more openly, and more often. On the other hand, people-warning needs to be taken care of more carefully. Though these people i have heard might be lying, I have heard posts saying how they didnt do anything, and had no idea what went wrong and people got confused. Though a really don't want to bring this up, I was unfairly warned for 'map stealing' maps that were actually in fact mine. VGSatomi made a mistake, im certain they were mine and had no affiliation with other people. And my map file doesnt exist at all on this site, and I have no idea where VGsatomi could get info that those maps were someone else's, without a user telling him/her. I don't wanna go in any further deatail, in the chance i could get banned.

I gotta go right now, update this later.

DDNGW

3. Disabler

Disabler

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok, that's it. WoW sucks. I'v never played it but I hate it.
    I have read a lot (that's how it's spelt!) about it and it looks great, but way too many features. :?
    And yes, I do like RPGs.
    Do we really have to pay so much for so little? I'd rather be gay. :shock:
    I'll bet you that Blizzard meant to name it World of Warcraft. (WoW for short)
    I hate making long posts.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........
    No, I didn't read that much, but still, a lot.
    Long posts...... Moo says the cat...

4. Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yea I worded that statement wrong...

See that post above mine? That is a newbie post... ^_^

Earlier I meant those people who show up and act like they run the place, but they have absolutley no experience. Bad wording on my part :p

But I say when you vote, you have to leave a comment with it. That would solve the problem of crap like that. Or maybe change the averaging system somehow.

Also someone mentioned earlier about Newbs disrespecting the elders, well I agree with that... reminds me of the time I got flamed cuz a newb thought...
    "You've almost been here a year and aren't very high on the power tree, man your a newb!"
    ^
    that my friends is disrespect, and pure stupidity...

Thank god it was deleted...

All I know is we are a modding community not a bunch of newbies who complain about everything! We need to work together to solve these problems, we need to show we don't always need to rely on Darky!

As I said once before, a long time ago in the IRC chat...
    "I'm gonna laugh when Darky leaves to do something else and you all go crying for Darky cuz hes not there to fix your problems"

Its true and its happened. So we are left with a decision here, work together to solve the problem, or keep complaining and nothing will get done.

5. ForgottenLight

ForgottenLight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree with all of yall about this... but I hate to be the one to point this out but...

Its probable that most of the people your complaining about in this thread would never take the time to read it...
    Which means you're preaching-to-the-choir and most of the random-voting noobs will never even notice that their actions are being frowned apon.

6. aarkshark

aarkshark

Resources:
    Resources:
    So, DB, wheres that laugh?

7. VGsatomi

VGsatomi

Webmaster's Council

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Let me get this straight...you think people vote more responsibly at WARCRAFTIII.NET!??? Excuse me, but that place is a living example of how the whole system went %$#ING WRONG!!

Thats quite ammusing sincemost of the people there map like they are begginners...or bored people just posting their spam...

case rested.

There is not a single aspect of wc3 site handling that I cant point to that place and say "See? Things here really could be worse, just look at warcraftiii.net."
    -VGsatomi

8. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Valdiation is nice but does not really matter. As long as you are happy with the product its all that matters.

9. Darkcurse

Darkcurse

Resources:
    Resources:
    topic

vexorian i totally agree with you. its annoying to see good skins like hueter's downrated just because some asses dont like it. they dont even give feedback on how to improve. its always it sucks, no shading. i myself have done this before and i seek to improve. i think there should be warning to pointless posts and the rating system just removed? people can just say what they rate it.

10. ScorchHz

ScorchHz

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with the Newgrounds thing. Ive been to newgrounds numerous times, mostly cause of the great animations, and the system they have there works pretty well. Of course, at newgrounds you can always choose if your evil, neutral or good. It would be interesting to have this type of way here at wc3sear, but that is not up to me to decide.
    This site has a lot, of good models, spells, maps, etc... For my map I used a lot of models and spells from this site, and don't worry I will give credit to everyone. One thing I have seen is that a model that I found really well made and good to use in my map, gets a rating of a 1. Like Vexorian said, people have to actually try the model, map or whatever it is. People need to try not just look and judge.

11. Vexorian

Vexorian

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No one needed your advertisements here, if there was a site better than this I would have just left this site and go there, but bummer, there isn't such a resource site that is not dead at this moment besides wc3search.

12. Newb_since_1989

Newb_since_1989

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes you kown what i'm gonna say...i totally agree :)

I hate when poeple think they are superior and vote 1 without saying what to fix if it is so bad and i fthey are so good so i search they're name in author list and I look if they are better then me... I have some exemple...look at this it's frustrating...humm i hope not only for me!

http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Art&ID=1030&sid=56331d2229f13a2bb08717496701499d

http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Art&ID=1031&sid=56331d2229f13a2bb08717496701499d

look at Wartner post!

13. Mecheon

Mecheon

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Make it so people who have uploaded something are the only ones who can comment and vote

And if their something gets deleted, then they can't upload or vote any more

Sure its harsh, but its a way to limit how many people comment on things, and a temporary downvoting solution

14. Eusira

Eusira

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    No. Then half-assed submitters will rip something unknown to downvote. Take cryptfiend for example as one, although he is no longer active. Lastly, maybe we should just prevent a voting system for
    1: DC items
    2: Items with over 10 votes of 4+
    3: Vote-protected items made by moderators

15. hubie

hubie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    well ok its not the good way to rate something and not posting any reason but may be he just forgot or the site crashed down while he voted (this site is actually very slow sometimes) and he didn't return to your spell, and indeed, it hit myself for some times, too. But I don't care because actually you can see if a spell is good or not (by taking a look on the images). And I think you react in a wrong way. A whole news just because someone voted a "1" with no reason? That could be compared to "whining" (because some may think you do that because you feel ashamed because your optimal 5 points rate has been broken).

I agree its not fair for not posting any reason but I think if you give the community the chance to rate then you should accept it or you need to edit the function and you have to make the voter voting & commenting in one step (make sure the voters vote is shown in his comment so he can't cover his vote with a normal comment), you understand what I mean? :)

May be you should tell darky about this, it would be a good feature anyway because then self votes would be reduced because guys that vote for themselves a 5 don't look very good in public. (Well i sometimes did so, too)

//edit: To the poster over me:
    It's no solution to harm voters for their votes by deleting their ressources or to bar them from uploading their own ressources, because then this site will loose much of it's charme and their won't be so many users in the future. Because the less this site can feature the less people will join the com or use the database. So no good idea.

//edit2: Sry i just saw that Vexorian didnt post the news tT

16. oz02

oz02

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @DeadDogNoGoWoof: Why would adding Super Mods help? All that would do is take away from the current Super Mod's position. Tightening rules will not help, and onl;y Darky has the pwer to add mods.

@Deathbringer: There is not much we can do with Darky gone since only he has control over the sections of the site. The only solution is to have the users cooperate with the rules.

17. maddd0g

maddd0g

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The wise words of a dumb*** wth is the point of doing this stupid kind of crap.
    I bet n00bs just wake up in the morning, scratch their balls and go "Today is a fine to day to vote 1 on everthing in wc3campaigns."

"After all who cares, it the internet?"
    We care.
    Ita a comunitee that people have worked hard to form, not to make a profit(well maybe), but to connect WC3 users and To help people share what they've made.
    I dont understand how people get fun out sheerly disrespecting people that are offering you the service to be able to share files freely, and download them freely. If you are not a map maker, or a person looking for a map, ou shouldnt even glace at this site. Why come in here and try to have fun out of ruining a useful and good website. Seriously what runs through your head. "What an idiot, how can he understand the fun, hes to stupid, i hate him." Hmm, wake and smell the flowers douche. We dont need or have time for your stupidity. I come to this site everyday seeing if i can find something useful, get some inspiration for a map and all i see is a buch of stupid comments from a bunch of 2 year olds saying you suck, and perfectly good material being flamed like they just killed your family. Just shut your little acne infested face. If you dont have anything informitive and/or constructive to say, dont say it.

I realize this post isnt very infomative, or constructive, but it need to be said.

18. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    theres nothing like the feel of participating in a community so im agreeing here as everyone else( hooray for conformity), and seeing a good thing being wrecked hurts my left toe

perhaps a non-space bar character limit coupled with the ratings being displayed by the raters name would encourage justification in comments and ratings

for example:

some guy wrote: 3/5 this model/skin/spell/map/whatever is <insert crit/comment here> because its <insert crit/comment here>...

by introducing minimum character limit that doesnt include spaces as characters means the we can avoid comments like

SuM n00bXOR wrote: this sucks/is great 1/5 / 5/5 /10000000000000/5

or

SuM n00bXOR wrote: <insert about a million spaces here>

and by only being able to vote with your comment means that if some one goes out their way to fill up x amount of charatcers to give a 1/5, odds are they are flaming and easily mark themselves as rules violators and as such should get warned/banned for their criminal deeds

participation in a community is privelige not your god given right

that said noobs are not always tools cos we all have to start off as a noob at some point. its just a matter whether the noob is mature enough to be responsible amongst like minded individuals. I became a member of this site so i could participate with said like minded individuals in a creative community

personally i love to justify my comments. in fact the rule in my house is that if you can justify your actions/comments you can get away with it, which stimulates creative counter arguments to have the end all justification.

that also said im back from my holidays so i should be making more submissions soon. starting the sections agian from scratch sounds like a good idea. but keep an archive of old ones to settle any map/skin/model stealing issues

-I'm going to the special Hell-

19. Elf  Warden

Elf Warden

Resources:
    Resources:
    No one read my comment... :? (or no one cares :cry: )

This site runs like a real live community, there will allways be some people (Criminals) doing theyr bidding.

These "Criminals" may be "little unexperienced children" whos hasnt yet learned to live in a community.

I had my time as a "Retarded noob", but i got my discipline and now i am here as a useless member who has learned his lesson and is behaving somehow good and commenting my comments in this "Conference" about the "Criminals".

One last time, These Retarded Noobs are just children starting theyr days in this community we call wc3sear.

some of them will learn to live among us, some dont and they will be locked in a prison (we like to ban them)

The so called "Elders" just arent that old enough to understand this thing.

(If telling the truth) This site would be pretty boring if there were nothing to complain about - besides then we wouldn't need moderators :lol: and that would be bad for the moderators there are now, eh?

I Hope at least this is readen even though there are alot of comments here...

- Elf Warden Thanks you for reading this!

20. olofmoleman

olofmoleman

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I agree.

A few months ago I was a newbie too. but I read tutorials and learned from my mistakes (and from other people's mistakes) insted of bothering other people with stupid questions. And look at me now I made lots of models and skins, and two of my models are in the top 5 rating!!