• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trolling is bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hey you, it is true that we must mantain the quality of the resources, but in some areas of the site I am sensing a Troll Wave , I mean people that only say:;

This sucks!

in comments, I don't think that is healthy, other thing is what happens when a guy that doesn't really know about what he is talking posts a comment, like blaming models for being geoset merges, or skins / icons for being cnp or recolors for no reason. I think that you should double check stuff before judging, if you want to be a respected judge.

Another thing, is that models aren't bad just for being geoset merges, or skins / icons aren't bad just for being cnps / recolors, THERE are actually good cnps, recolors and geoset merges, And this is a download area, not a gallery, so a resource shall be judged for how it looks and how useful it is , rather than for how much leet methods you used on it.

Level 22
Vex, I 100% agree with you, but you are probably asking too much. We've been trying to get the members of this site to post/comment sensibly for ages now with little to no luck. It goes back to my favorite versatile phrase, "As long as there are half-***ed people there will always be half-***ed comments."

Geomerges, recolor and C&P, despite what many say, really do look good when done right.

Remember, if you see a useless comment, you can always mark it for moderation.
-VGsatomi

Level 5
I agree with both of you Vexorian and VGSatomi. Perhaps there should be some reformations to the rules to cut down on trolling. Here's my suggestion for a rule change.
-Commenting rules:
1. You can only base your opinion on a skin/icon by how it looks in game. Insulting or downrating said skins and icons solely on the way in which they were created is not allowed.
-I suspect that the wave of trolling started with people like Wormskull and others like him insulting people's work solely by the way they were created, completly ignoring how it looks when wrapped around the model.

Level 25
Wormskull actualy sometimes did say some good comments, it just that the other people began disliking him because of it. And sometimes not all skins/icons/models will work in game, such is the case with a skin I got from Antihero that, despite looking AWSOME on both the unwrap and the model, doesn't work ingame (Alpha channel errors, I HATE THEM <_<)

But a general rule would be actualy offering suggestions on how to make it better, for instance whenever I comment on a model I think needs improvement I don't go "OMFG TEH TAIL SUCKS DIE OMG -200/5", I instead go "Well, the model is ok, but you could REALY afford to put more verticies around the tail, cause right now it looks like a stick".

Level 5
Some people ARE dumbasses to say 1/5 on everything, even though they can't do half as good as it.
Well, some people DO only comment on the bad ones...and abuse it, and some people mistake that those people abuse everything.
If Darky would delete some of the crappy work, we would get less flaming. ^_^

Level 16
Or if comments were better moderated. Satomi usually warns someone after they flame for like 50 times, not saying he's lazy, but I guess he's nice anyway.

Lastly, people should have like a test kind of thing, or a delay time before able to comment, or post in certain threads-- especially the model and map threads

Level 12
VGsatomi said:
Vex, I 100% agree with you, but you are probably asking too much. We've been trying to get the members of this site to post/comment sensibly for ages now with little to no luck. It goes back to my favorite versatile phrase, "As long as there are half-***ed people there will always be half-***ed comments."

Geomerges, recolor and C&P, despite what many say, really do look good when done right.

Remember, if you see a useless comment, you can always mark it for moderation.
-VGsatomi

I warn them myself, actually.

It is too much but reminding that to them with this thread won't kill anyone

Level 7
Dark Destroyer said:
Some people ARE dumbasses to say 1/5 on everything, even though they can't do half as good as it.
Well, some people DO only comment on the bad ones...and abuse it, and some people mistake that those people abuse everything.
If Darky would delete some of the crappy work, we would get less flaming. ^_^

uuhm, yep! Those ppl are dumbasses, but it is sufficiant to rate a model/skin/spell/map/piece of art(neglected in all your moddiness) based on what you know - I mean, you can still be known to fumbled projects and flaws, without being able to do better yourself - Else I'm gonna correct myself numerous places, "and I would really hate to be wrong in this matter >_<" But I believe anywho the topic was about trolling whereass only stating your disliking against one particular submission in a single word, should be punishable by death... or something less severe, as long as it does not occur!

To only comment crap, or do you mean persé "bad" things in the sense, that it could be helped? Anyhows it's unappropiate if people incistently prey on newbies in the craft, but I take that this would require somewhat a 24/7 surveilance of the community if it were to be fully prevented.

As a commenter, we can basicly only comment out of what we know and we may even learn that we are wrong. But that kind of openminded spirit is in short supply, thus creating rules as to how you are "allowed" to post, but that again, might even break some contitutional right (something with the freedom of speech, I dunno, its real stupid anyways :roll: ) But we can anyways define, that if you troll, you don't say anything, and thus your post is spam. I am led to believe that this has become the common definition of the topic at hand.

Anywho's, when I first came here, I was rather active in the skins section. Mainly commenting on how I thought of it out of my own knowledge (lack of that is) Since I do maps, I rated solely on the value regarding use, yet I learned from a very behatred friend, that the artistic value can be just as important to the skinner, if not more, and it is by all means, him who needed the feedback. Anyways, I gave up in that area, and I really don't see how you manage all the noobcomments in there :?

As was it with the Art section, not so long ago. Slowly and safely turning into a worm...WARzone that is. And I kindda feel wormskull was sacrificed for the peace of the section, since the flaming that existed, consequently became directed at him. But flaming is flaming, and is never allowed, not even in defense of flaming, "OR AM I OFF" ? (It ought not be!) And trolling is da same! Those that practise this annoying line of abusing, is in violation with the rules, and that is that! oz02 said at one point, that if it was up to him, flamers/trollers/etc would have one warning only, before a permanent ban - maybe this was not such a bad idea?

Is, the question truly, is WC3search in need of more moderators, and more strict rules?

(gosh I hope I didn't p!ss anyone off :oops: + I kindda hope someone is reading this, cause it took quite a while to come up with :x )

Level 12
Is it possible that Wc3seearch is too accepting?

Wc3c is very elitest but for good reason, if they weren't... idiots would just come in and send crappy material, make stupid comments and post dumb threads

In reality, you will not stop them
Only make them do it with more caution, or more accounts (notice 5/6 of the accounts are unactive)

The only problem with becoming an elitest site is that this site is a save haven or a half way house for novices. And by becoming more selective many people will not ever be able to become artists and such

@mecheon: COuld someone unban wormskull, he kept this website balanced.
Would you kill someone for ragging on your painting? same situation

@Rexfist: I read your post and i agree with it completely

Level 22
If you think we are too leniant with the recourses, go to warcraft.org or warcraftiii.net and see what happens when you dont moderate your map sections. Not many other sites carry skins and models, and almost all the ones that do are so elitist that they hardly have any material to choose from. Here, we have a deep archive and you can expect new stuff to look at every time you sign on. And yes, really low quality stuff IS removed to help preserve quality in our sections and teach people that five minutes of effort is not enouph, but not to the point where novices have no chance...

As for Wormskull, we (or should I say ``I``) were way too lenient on...in actuality he shoulve been perma-banned ages ago, but that was a fault on my part, since I didnt warn him as much as I should have back when I was the only non-admin comments mod. Criticism is one thing, but his comments regularly went a bit beyond...
-VGsatomi

Status
Not open for further replies.