1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Talavaj, Jul 21, 2013.

1. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

You can mix the existing pieces and get it to look like this... I will do something to prove, I like the concept...

You do that. ;)

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Btw, have you ever thought about terrain tiles? I'd like to see some tiles to go with your awesome models.

3. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    if you use a 256 color palette it should be enough if your textures are very monochrome. Normaly the palette is calculated based on your original texture's colors, so using it on textures with low color variation, is great. The best thing of a paletted blp is that they don't blur the image. Therefore, they are perfect for architectural materials where bluring really damages quality.

4. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah that makes perfect sense to do with these textures then. Seeing how each bit has pretty much its own limited color scheme.

Does that also mean I could do pixel art if I severely limited the number of colors in the palette for example ?

Not really, the textures are mostly procedural. I'm not a 2d artist per se, I have plenty of experience with bitmap and vector but not in hand drawing itself.
    I could make some bigger procedural textures I guess and see how that would look like.

5. Shadow44

Shadow44

Resources:
    Resources:
    okey.

6. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hmm depend on which dithering algorithm your conversion tool uses, but most likely yes.

7. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yes, and stolen by some poser like everything else on the http://xgm.ru .
    Don't share plagiarized work in here please.

8. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I didn't know they were stolen, I apologize.

9. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Heh it's ok. Speaking of those I was thinking I could style the environmental pack kinda like that, of course while sticking to the existing art style.

The author also made a new pack, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbiT9Qm5Vp0 .
    I was thinking I could make something similar later on, how about that ? It would have more fantasy inspired pieces for dungeons and stuff like that.

10. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That sounds like a great idea. Come to think of it, I haven't seen too many underground/dungeon/mine doodads. I know it's mostly rocks but some people underestimate how many rock types there are under the ground.

11. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It is time for bumpdate !(a pun!)

Previous bumpdate here:
    Yep, with paletted textures I can squeeze some more texture variation into the pack. Which will be especially useful for environmental doodads, hence why they can get extra themed variations.

And by the way this is how the interactive doodads kind of look like, the drawers open and so does the chest. (these are actually intended to be rough wood not normal wood)
    I noticed that because of the raised amount of detail on the props, using the the Pragmatic texture pack with them will look even more badass.
    [​IMG]

Also started the wooden pieces, curves are a recurring theme so is plenty of metal framing and bolts. It will look a lot like those in Skyrim because I'm just too lazy to concept anything different.
    It also uses new carved wood variant texture and possibly carved metal and cell leather.

[​IMG]

And all currently finished props (about 30~34 ?) Slowly starting to run out of things to make, only beds and various tables left and maybe some extra variants of already existing types. Then some random miscs like shelves, display cases, weapon racks and some extra random outdoor misc props.
    If you got anything else on mind now is the time to ask !

[​IMG]

And some results while trying to animate texture on curtains. The texture looks kinda shit (it will be more suitable for water I reckon) but the overlay idea is neat. The curtain shades and higlights is a low size low quality texture overlaid on tiled jute cloth texture.
    The coloring is animated using vertex color (like model coloring in game) rather than by a colored texture and the shadows and highlights are additive so that it has plenty of contrast and does not end up being washed out because of the vertex color.
    The idea was to animate the wrinkles on the texture using animated UVW rather than a linear texture translation but it does not look too ideal.

[​IMG]

And new textures. For, you never know what !
    [​IMG]

New bumpdate:
    Well, these last few days I was cracking my head over how I'am gonna make rocks. I tried to sculpt them, make them with low poly hard surface modeling techniques but they all ended up ugly even more so after I textured them.
    I spent minutes watching Killst4r's assets over and over to figure out how I should do the textures wrap and the mesh itself.
    Then I gave up, made a displacement texture a custom rock "cluster" texture super low poly mesh, subdivided it until like 130,000 polygons and then I plastered a displacement map all over its actual mesh.
    Result is something very much like normal/displacement mapping but instead of using shaders and texture maps it bakes the displacement onto a mesh which is then drastically reduced in polies but still keeps its defined shape because of the optimization methods.

With a fairly pleasing result, it is not exactly what I wanted but it looks sick. (really happy about it, I was getting desperate)
    The new rock texture is a little bit bigger, but also less tiled. (still has about only 24kb when in paletted mode)

And it looks like this now. I'll have to fix the texture tho because it doesn't seem to fit the rest, I'll have to fire up the contrast and bumps.
    [​IMG]

Here is the sculpt vs the finished low poly model and the textures.
    [​IMG]

And these are some test subjects for new prop/structure pack that will be added as extension of the interior/exterior doodads but for underground, caves and dungeons.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  12. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It just occurred to me, will the rocks have a snowed animation as well? Them and the lamp post.

13. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Possibly, lamp post most likely not. It has only a couple polies facing up it wouldn't even be noticeable probably, another problem is the lamp will sway in the wind which would be way too many keyframes if it was supposed to sway for the whole duration of the snowing sequence.

I could however make a stand alone lamp post with snow, it just wouldn't have snow on/off transition.

Also, I lied lol. Not gonna fix the rocks the texture is fine as it is and it fits fairly well when the rocks are properly scaled. (not to mention they look flat-out gorgeous when you actually put effort into making a realistic rocky formation)
    The texture and the mesh make it look exquisite in my opinion.
    There will be outdoor rocks made similar way, also the new "rough stone" walls and pieces, the alternative to cobblestone, will be also done a similar way.

14. Keiji

Keiji

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Would you mind showing an example picture of the proclaimed "gorgeous" looking rock formations? Not because I don't believe you, but because I have a hard time wrapping my head 'round how you use square "tile" like rocks to make good formations.

15. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hah, that is because it isn't just a square tile ;) I didn't mean making a realistic rocky formation using the tile, I meant making a realistic actual mesh.
    It can be displaced on absolutely any kind of shape or form as long as it is properly textured.
    The plane is a plane only because I was too lazy to wrap it on anything more complex for the demonstration purposes.
    As a matter of fact, same technique can be used to for example "sculpt" a statue, relief, highly detailed pillar and so on.
    Of course that would be much more taxing than rocks, considering it is not real-time normals but actual geometry baked from them.
    But it is ideal for something as defined as rock formations because they don't require much detail.
    That is one texture type, one displacement map. It is not any more taxing than other rock models, except that the geometry is perfectly baked with the texture in 3d space not some random cuboid half-arsedly wrapped with ugly rock tiling texture which was my initial concept of how to make rocks and ended up hideous.
    There is an ugly black seam that got there onto the texture though I have no idea how. It happens when you resize textures I suppose, the gravel the main boulders are sitting in was supposed to be entirely seamles...
    Of course, I can wrap only a single boulder too. And make separate rocks for whatever else custom you wanna build.

[​IMG]

And that for example is your regular modular bouldery clump using only one rock from the texture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  16. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm seriously hyped for the environmental pack. I've been looking for that kind of rock for a fairly large amount of time and now here it is, right in front of me. Is there any ETA on when it might be out?

17. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Depends, most environmental doodads aren't even scratched yet though. So I'd say about 2~3 weeks minimum.
    Interior/exterior props are almost ready for first version release.

That is how the rocks look like in the editor, using omni lights only (removed DNC) the highlights are made using my scribble cel method, shall you want such functionality.
    And ofc the pic is taken while using my douche shaders :p

[​IMG]

18. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great...

19. Orcnet

Orcnet

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

Ah shit, this thread just gave me some life, someone out there needs to give you money right now.

20. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The second model in post #95 is wonderful.