1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen! Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Discussion in 'Terrain Board' started by Talavaj, Jul 21, 2013.

1. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think Keiji is well aware of the usefulness of this thread and he'll probably sticky it in the near future.

2. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Useful indeed, but if I were to sticky every thread like this, we'd end up having too many stickies for comfort. This thread is, however, linked to alongside other threads like it in "A Guideline to Terraining and the Hive's Terraining Board" under the category of "What are useful resources found only in this forum?"
    - So in a way, it's stickied.

3. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It has been added to the stickied general thread for the terraining section here.

On another note, I have been messing around with environmental doodads testing various things to achieve low filesize, high versatility and stick to the pack's art style.
    I came up with... how about trees would be modular as well ?
    No matter how you try, a single tree with decent level of detail will end up past or around 100kb.
    So the "trees" would be chopped up into the base, mid, branch, leaf and root models. Each of those would have multiple variants and would have multiple texture sets.
    This would reduce the size significantly raise the versatility and grant more advantages for the price of some more stuff towards the doodad limit.
    Each part will end with a soft "joint" so you can hide the seams on the trunk fairly easily.
    Because the trees won't be in one piece you will also have wider range of what to use them for, such as debris or branches growing out of ruined structures and stuff like that.

Also, the main pack will be expanded with some new models, new type of parapet and plank foundations (rough wood with rope, for ports and piers) and stairs for each material type.
    Meanwhile exterior doodads are being made, barrels, buckets, sacks, crates, wooden cart, lamp post (stand alone and attachable onto walls) and random misc props like weaved baskets, shovels and brooms are on the current list.

Edit:
    Also added 1.0.5, it fixes a bug on stand alone variant of window arc wood. (it was not properly animated) It also adds a rope kind of parapet that can be used together with rough pillars to make piers and port areas.
    This udpate requires a new texture called HFTRope_tile (which is going to be used in more exterior/interior doodads) so please import this one into your maps.
    Feel free to request any interior/exterior doodads if you have anything on mind, otherwise I'll just browse Skyrim for inspiration.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

And something like this will be in the exterior/interior pack. The models are quite high poly and will probably use multi variants more frequently than manor parts did (like the flooring model does).
    All models so far reuse textures from manor, but new ones such as wooden weave, fabric, transparent glass, and wheat may be added.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That is a lovely idea.

5. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That would be great, the amount of different creations people would be able to come up with would be grand. So that is a good Idea ;)

Edit---

Love the update ;)

6. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yep, that is the plan. Splitting trees also brings more advantages, such as that animating the leaves would be a lot easier. (because you only animate per clump, keeping the filesize low)
    The environmental pack may also have some effects and emitters. Such as falling/floating leaves, floating dust, floating pollen, volumetric lights (sun/god-rays) and water particles.
    I expect to animate every piece of foliage and also make a stand alone model without animation so people can choose which one they want animated and which one they don't.
    That will however come after interior/exterior doodads.
    I expect all three packs to have about 2mb together (and about 1~1.3 mb when imported and compiled within a map) which will be about 200 unique models for architecture props and environmental doodads(without stand-alone variants) 1.0.5 test map currently has something around 500kb (unique models wise) but the actual filesize of imported models and textures is about 920kb.

As for interior/exterior, I baked up some more doodads. (and most likely still will some today)
    I overdid it however and they are fairly high in poly count (and extremely high in vertex count) so they need some optimization.
    Most interior/exterior models will be based on those in Skyrim but obviously modeled in the pack's art style.

Meanwhile, you can try out an alternate texture pack. Just copy the textures in your map instead of the default ones. Pez changes the textures into more pastely, cubic look.
    It isn't too impressive, just testing out how easily can the whole look be changed by simply swapping the textures around.
    You don't have to re-import anything into your map, a test map with the texture pack is included. I may make other similar packs in the future, either just different art style (realistic textures) or different theme (such as ruins corrupted, matrix, etc etc)

Download PEZ for S&S 1.0.5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That crates and wagons.

I'll check this new texture.

8. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I know this is fairly random but, what would you think of this functionality ?
    Models can be made into X-ray kind of geometry. This would only show when looking at them through other models.
    It can be animated so you can trigger when the x ray appears. Can you think of how this could be useful and for what ?
    It can also be made so that it shows only when looking through certain models (but all other models you use would need to be modified).

[​IMG]

9. 2-P

2-P

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Holy fucking shit x-ray. Have my babies.

10. elredir

elredir

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why not make a transparent wall model,that,when put in front of other models,makes the x-ray effect?
    I think that would make things easier for everyone,without the need to meddle through triggers and what not.

11. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    That would require all models in the map to be modified so they omit x-rayed models and leave some which do not.
    It is more a concept really, there is a few drawbacks in it that makes it more suitable for limited usage.

Also I reckon, people would prefer this texture pack. The textures are based from carefully selected stocks so they fit with other "realtexture" (B2M or whatever similar you use) packs better.
    Added to the OP.

Download Pragmatic for S&S 1.0.5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  12. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think it will be most useful and easier to use for maps that have fix camera on certain areas(like resident evil 1 and 2). Not really that useful since those kind of maps are rare. But still awesome.

13. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah, well the most useful it would be to make units/objects/things visible through walls for a brief moment maybe.
    Some sort of x-ray vision hero ? Tactical shooters or stealth games tend to commonly have something similar.

As for that, I started making interior doodads. They are very simple and because of how I can't really add detail with the tiled textures I'm trying to add extra polygons here and there, chips in the wood, some extra chamfers, insets and bevels to add some extra detail.
    The results are acceptable so far.
    I'll try to make the core furniture first then move onto random props like pots, bottles, tools or whatever down the road.
    So far I planned out about 9 unique pieces for the rough wood set. Two of which will be interactive chest and a bedside table that will have open and close animations.

[​IMG]

14. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    wow, that's really awesome stuff...

15. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Like I said before.

And looking forward for this animated crates.

16. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well got about 15 unique props now, but keep on fighting with my 3ds max not liking my ram and bluescreening on me all the time which results in my files being corrupted.
    I mean seriously, I have never seen a program other than 3ds max doing that. (as in corrupting files when it crashes or pc unexpectedly shuts down even if 3ds max itself is turned off sometimes)
    I suppose I'll have to buy new ram.

Anyway, I was meditating over a rough wood bed that uses hay and realized a pretty genius usefulness of the alpha channel when trying to optimize the hay texture for it.
    That being that the part of the texture that is covered by alpha layer can still be filled with useable texture and hence it can be used both as a tileable texture and as a transparent one as long as it uses two materials.
    I the hay texture ended up fairly big in the process but I will use it on some more things anyway (and also on the hay roof and hay insulated log wall) so I can justify it.
    I know it is a bit too fluffy, I shortened the sticking out parts already.

Also I know hay bales are tied up with rope usually, but rope is very poly heavy so yeah. It doesn't look that wrong anyway.

[​IMG]

17. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I see a Hay Roof texture... :D

18. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That would be lovely.

19. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Bumpy
    Made some new stuff, decided to also add limestone props and base them on the old nordic props from Skyrim (found in draugr infested dungeons).
    Because the limestone and the metal texture go fairly well together.
    Also replaced log cut texture with a nicer, higher definition one it is mostly covered by the anvil but yeah.
    There is a through in there if you noticed, the weird pixelated gradient inside is water. It uses a small gradient texture to fake volumetric transparency of water (so the bottom of the trough is darker).

It currently looks like that... I'm just testing whether it is viable at all to make decent looking water with textures below 64p.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well I made a few more props. What I was just messing around is modeling the tree parts and came up with a super-efficient workflow.
    Anybody who does polygonal modeling definitely realized at some point that modeling branches can be a pain in the ass, especially when you have to make many different ones.

I messed around with a few ways and researched some things related to trees in 3d. Came over speedtree and this .. model pack from dexsoft. (it is seriously laughable that they ask 29~200$ for those trees seeing how hideous they are.)
    So I just tried to use the same workflow I have for my mod.

That is modeling with splines. It speeds the process so ridiculously much it almost feels cheap.
    I just grab a spline and two circles to define the thickness and the path and create a loft mesh from it.
    The most amazing thing is that you can change the spline on the fly however you want, add segments as you want and the model will change because the spline works as a controller.
    Subdivide the mesh and sculpt some wrinkles into it so it looks more organic then reduce the poly count and voila !
    The problem I'm having now is the textures, which still look crap ! and won't let me put the detail I want in the small texture space I need.
    That is something I have to give credit for to the dexsoft, while the modelling is pretty sloppy the leaf textures are gorgeous.

[​IMG]

20. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Nice workflow! I'll have to try it out. You say you got leaf textures from dexsoft? Are those available for download someplace?