1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Discussion in 'Terrain Board' started by Talavaj, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    No I didn't get leaf textures from them. They sell some in their asset packs, I merely dug through their stuff hoping to see how their leaf textures look like.
    I'm having big problems with leaves to be honest, the one on the branch process is drawn by me and it is butt ugly not to mention it has to be small for low filesize.
    But the process is around the same, I use it for memento mori too except that I bake the tree texture afterwards.

If you look at the pdf of their tree pack you can see the textures are really nice, even if their modeling level is pretty poor.
    I mean do you see the trunks and the wraps ? That is some hideous work, kudos for their courage to ask 30~200 euros for that.

By the way, check some stuff from the unity store if you want more to research.
    There are tons of absolutely gorgeous resources and pretty much all have some sort of presentation.
    I browse through sometimes for inspiration. Mainly for the trees because it lists all files there and you can see the thumbnails so it gives you the idea of how the texture should look like. Which is weird to be honest seeing how people can just download the thumbnails.. for quick rips even if they are only low resolution ones. I mean you can still download 256p textures like that.
    If you have unity you can also download the free asset packs and use textures from them maybe, there are also plain free texture packs there.
    You may have to register though I think, in order to download even the free assets.
    Some of those assets are of such high quality it makes me question the claims of AAA devs on how high quality visuals cost insane amounts of money.

That dude is great:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiY4ODo5WnA

2. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Yeah, the wrap was... sloppy.
    Lots of stuff on the internet is overpriced.
    I do actually check the unity store quite often. I've downloaded several texture packs from it after downloading the unity engine. A lot of the models there are incredibly well made. I got the inspiration for several of mine from them.

I've always had problems wrapping tree branches and trunks. I usually just use the UVW Wrap modifier and mess around with it for a bit until it looks acceptable.

3. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Wrapping trunks is probably easiest with the boned cylinder method. Just wrap the cylinder before deforming it and it should look ok unless you stretch it too much.
    If you do then just unwrap the cylinder afterwards and fix those part that are stretched.

Oh and did I mention the unity artist is none other than killst4r ? Now one of the highest grossing artist from the unity store.
    See peeps, learn stuff. You may make money in the future.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Wait, he's on the Hive? Damn. I never noticed.
    One day I'll be good enough to sell my models. Today is not that day.
    Maybe I can sell my textures as ice cream though. According to Krybi0 they tast pretty good.

5. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah he is, or was at least. Been inactive for quite a while from what I see.
    Also if people would like, I can release the props with pre-rendered lights sometime down the road for projects that can disregard the massive filesize.

I also have a concept of casted shadows (by that I mean only the shadow of the wagon projected onto the ground), that could be bundled in with the regular size models because they are really small.
    The drawback of those is that it is capable of hard shadows only and it cannot be used on sloped terrain, only on flat surface. Well it could be used on slopes but they need to be big and smooth enough and the doodad needs to have the proper pitch angle.

[​IMG]

6. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Personally, I'd like it better if you spent time finishing up the smaller doodads and the environmental doodads, but hey, it's your pack, and it's all your choice.
    - It's just I'd have great use for some of those environmental doodads, as well as the crates, lamps, and whatnot. All of those smaller once you've currently
    portrayed would also be mighty useful to me.

Hurry up! Will you?
    :p

7. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Relax, the props are what I'm currently working on now :p
    There are many more than what I have shown (brooms, rakes, shovels, various types of pots and baskets different barrel and lamp types) but they aren't showcase ready because they don't have texture wrapped yet.
    The actual modeling process is very fast (5~30 mins per prop) the wrapping though can take anywhere up to 4 times as long as the model itself and it is often boring and tedious.

The shadows and whatnot is what I do when I'm bored out of my mind from wrapping, but there is always about 5 models sitting and waiting to be textured.

BUMP !
    I know, I know models ! But this is an exciting one. A friend of mine, BallisticTerrain pointed me to a great website with a compilation of tips and tricks used in a 3d and 2d animation. And I immediately jumped in to test a few tricks that can be applied within wc3.

One of these tricks is scribble cel animation, it is an animation used to fake specular highlights on moving surface by using multiple animated textures and alpha masks. It is perfect for water or highly reflective shiny surfaces like wet rocks, metal, scales, wet skin and things like that.
    It can create extremely crisp animated speculars even with low texture size and in any lighting conditions. (so it can make really bright highlights even at in-game night)
    The downside is that the water (if that is your target application) cannot be transparent unless you make it in-game using triggers changing its vertex color and transparency if the model is a dummy unit.

The example scribble cel is sucky yah, it is just a simple test, but you get the idea. It can make nearly shader quality specular higlights on your surface.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IpfDEwXWCE

Second trick is a method of modeling tree leaves clumps so they have an apparent volume it is super neat, you will see later.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  8. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The animated water was nice but its too busy and eye-catching to my liking, I still see the simple waterplane by iNfraNe more appealing.

I'm looking forward to see this one.

9. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yes indeed, it is not as much about the water as it is about the trick that is used to make the animated speculars.

Which can also be used like this ,the speculars are actually following the wisp in real-time. Similar reflections can be done on water (if certain requirements are met):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCCYBZ04Ib8

[​IMG]

10. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    That's a really cool effect! Is it based on omnilights?

11. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Heh, it is just two planes. The top one is a transparent (with alpha mask) one which has the highlight parts erased the lower plane is not transparent and has the same texture.
    They are extremely close to each other so it looks like there are no holes in it whatsoever.

The glow is an animated flat plane, much like an aura which is however below the unit so it goes into the ground (the model is a walkable platform) exactly in between the two planes and it glows through only the highlighted erased parts.
    That is, if you want a moving unit to do that, you can only do that on completely flat surface for moving units though.
    If you want a static model illuminating environment like that you can make the effect on anything (like a brazier illuminating a dungeon corridor etc) and without having to duplicate the mesh. (because it can be a glowing material layer sandwiched in between the normal textures)
    The water is done the same way, it has holes in it and the highlights are a bright layer that flows underneath and only shows in the holes, resulting in a fairly random specular sequence.

Well thinking about it, a similar effect could be made using omni lights. By making a two layered material with alpha mask that would remove the black spots with an unshaded material below it.
    The top one would get affected by omni and the bottom one would not (so it would stay darker than the highlighted areas)
    That is in theory, I never tried it though.
    Odds are that the light will illuminate both though, or that the wc3 omni lights are so dim it won't even show.

12. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Suddenly Skyrim.

13. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    So, made new stuff. Made a sign concept using splines as a replacement for textures because any decent texture would add 20kb extra while the splines are of 2~4kb size (sure it is 30 faces instead of 2 but it is a completely affordable price).
    If the sign info looks too crap I'll make it into an embossed metal (like the frame)
    Now there are only bed, chest, bed table and a big cupboard left to wrap then I'll move onto regular wood furniture, which will be the more fancier variant.
    After that I may make more misc stuff like fire pits, braziers, pots, vases, washbasins, and other stuff that does not necessarily fall into a single material set.
    The set has roughly 30 unique variants right now.

Also, do you want the sign and lamp posts to be animated ? (swaying in the wind)

[​IMG]

14. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Awesomeness...

15. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Can't wait for the next update!

And yes animate the lamp post! Don't forget to give it a on and off animation.

16. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    These are perfect for the theme I'm trying to create. Me wants moar! :D

17. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I suggest you use Paletted BLPs for low quality textures, they compress way better and have even higher quality.

18. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Wow, that didn't occur to me. I thought paletted mode would be way too low quality given the limited number of colors.
    But after converting a few using blp lab I can't even see the difference.
    In the picture quality I mean, the filesize dropped down to 6.4kb per the biggest texture which is down to about 35% and they appear to have all the same filesize so I assume the filesize is constant and linked to the texture dimensions ?

Either way that is nuts, assuming the same conversion rate all the current textures would be down to about 70kb flat (and much less when compiled in the map) which gives me more freedom to pack in more different textures seeing the filesize is so low.
    It handles alpha channels the same way ? Thanks for the tip by the way !

19. Shadow44

Shadow44

Resources:
    Resources:
  20. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Similar towers can be made using existing rough wood pieces. (wall foundations, pillars, roof pieces)
    As for the walls and stuff, I'm planning to make another type of stone because the current one still looks a bit too neat and polished. The extra one will be a lot more greyed out random and weathered so the new pieces may look similar to that.
    The current stone is efficiently just cobblestone, the new one will represent just stone (and may be used for rock pieces in some props like fire pits).
    Gates, extra bridge and some other "macro" pieces (like extra roof types because they are fairly limited atm) will be added sometime later too.
    Probably after props.