• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Level 7
Using these on my medieval RPG project. I Ain't the best terrainer but these kind of make up for it, amazing work!

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Any news or updates? I'm really looking forward to the underground pack and the lamp posts.

Level 17
Yeah, work leaves me little free time most of which goes towards my other project so no news unfortunately.
Though the support for this project is not discontinued, just held back temporarily.
Odds are I will make an update or two once I get fed up :p working on MM too tho.

Using these on my medieval RPG project.
Looking forward to it !

Also, not sure if this is of use to anybody in here, but all the existing assets in this pack are also gonna be ported onto unity asset store as one big free pack.
With some extra features added that are unsupported in warcraft 3 (like normal mapping).

Level 17
Brace ourselves, Shire (AKA environmental shiz and giggles) is coming !
Rocks, boulders, modular trees, bushes, plants, misc (roots, vines moss crap etc), cave walls, stalags, pillars and more soon.
Everything you can stick snow onto will have snow alternate versions and dynamic snow anims.

185888-albums6426-picture77505.jpg

Level 17
That is a procedural texture of moss, it could be cut into a tileset texture I guess ?
The moss on the stones matches the moss on the tile (though the stones are a lot lower resolution) hence why I used it for the "terrain".
Would you also like matching tilesets to be bundled ?

Level 36
Aww, sad news, sad news indeed.

...to be checked for the connecting flight by the airline and had to arrive in a later flight that day, was broken into and my laptop together with its charger was gone without a trace.

Maybe you should look into getting an external hard drive to prevent situations
like this in the future, it'd be worth the money of you really value your works.

Level 11
Grass Making technique

And about that grass, you can't have a smooth opacity using alpha mode, it will always have to be either completely opaque or completely transparent. Partial opacity can only be made using alpha blend material mode.
And using blend mode by default already makes smooth edges instead of hard ones but there are massive pop-in issues when using alpha blend mode.
The "hard edges" aren't the fault of the texture, they are fault of the filter mode.

I use blend mode for the grass in this vid. And the other foliage uses a screen material on top of alpha to smooth the edges.

Hi Talavaj!
I need some help here, I followed your post about making grass. I used aplha-blend on one material and I am still not getting the desired result, i.e; similar to yours. Kindly, tell me what I am missing. I am not a 3D modeller, I only experiment with stuff here and there.

Attached is my grass model and texture.

Attachments

• grass.mdx
    31.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Level 11
That looks fine actually, though additive layer makes it look a bit more pixely. Try replace it with add alpha material.
The grass in the vid also has a faint gaussian blur around the grass stalks on the texture.

I will do that, thanks for helping. :)
+rep

The grass looks cool from third person view but when viewed from above the spaces between the grid are visible and that looks ugly.
I tried a different approach by making bill boarded textures of grass but when viewed from above or from isometric camera angle they appear laterally sticking on the terrain. I was hoping that it will look similar to 3rd person view when billboarded! Any tip you can give me about this please?

Level 17
The grass in my vid also has the same problem, because it was just mashed up quickly.
Just make grass clusters or "Vs", and bent planes not just flat polygons and you won't have issues.
You can also edit the normals a bit, because they generally behave unrealistically on flat planes.

Something like that.
Alternatively.. you can steal my faux parallax and make some low res, but fluffy volumetric grass.

Level 11
'Faux parallax' I was wondering where I had read that, then I went through your Memento Mori thread once again and found it on page 19. I think I understand it, the screens were mostly self-explanatory, except some things like how the grass texture would look like!
However I will have to try it atleast once, before asking more naive questions.
Thanks for pointing me there, it looks way more cool than bent planes!

Level 17
It should look something like this.

185888-albums6426-picture78433.jpg

Though, you wanna have some random green texture background and an alpha layer on it. Instead of erasing the black.
Custom alpha layer gives generally more defined blend results.
I made this one with some noise and a brush with scattering to cover most of it.

As for that, yeah. But it is really dependent on how good mesh you have. And it should be used en masse, not for detailed tufts of grass.
In theory it is more efficient to use for covering large fields with dense grass but the quality is dependent on how many layers you have.
If you have too many with too high definition textures you may quickly get into overdraws.

Shadow of the colossus was heavily abusing fur/grass made that way.
You can read something about that here.

Level 11
Tried and tested it in-game.
I was hoping to achieve something similar to
this
or
even this.
It looks awesome but at high density it creates some lag in-game, works fine in world editor though. Tried reducing layers to 10 from original 20 to reduce lag but it suffered a huge loss in quality.(as you had already mentioned) :vw_sad:
Thanks once again for all the advice.

Level 17
Ya lol, it is not too ideal for that. Though spamming regular grass is gonna be even more taxing.
And yeah 20 is way too high, I generally use 5 ~ 6 layers of faux parallax.

Though I don't really use it for grass, rather for moss and fur based materials like carpets.

Level 17
Thank you for your feedback ! There will be a major content update for the modular kingdom coming, which should contain all the fixed animated interior doodads and two theme packs.
One smaller (which is dungeons) and one much bigger focusing on a theme from around real world's 1650s !

The environmental pack was held behind slightly unfortunately, but you should see actual updates on it in near future as well.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see what you've come up with ^^. Will there be any promotional screenies beforehand ? :)

Level 17
Yes, promotional screens will be.
Also. I tried to experiment with making a low-budget (7 or 11 kb texture size) water shader variant for the pack similarly to how I make water for Memento Mori.
But because of how the water is animated the tiling becomes a massive issue lol so I have shelved water for now until I find an alternative.

185888-albums6426-picture78929.jpg

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Yeah, I see what you mean btw that water somehow reminds me of cake xD.

Level 17
Jello cake ? :p lol yeah.
The texture is seamless, but it heavily distorts during the animation so it never really meets properly at the edges.
In memento mori there isn't this problem because the water is one very high poly mesh so there is no need for seams to begin with.

Level 17
That is gonna be very hard, moreover the animation seems to be out of sync at times too.

Anyway ! Sneak peek of what kind of stuff is gonna be in one of the upcoming theme packs !
The two theme packs will contain about 20 doodads each, plus about 15 other doodads is fixed up for the original modular kingdom, that is mostly the animated doodads and light sources that didn't make it on release.

185888-albums6426-picture79536.jpg

Level 17
Depends on how long it will take me to finish up the rest of the models. If it will be taking a while I may just release what is done so far and the rest in a later update.

Also here are the cityscape lamp posts, they also have a variant that attaches onto buildings directly.
The lanterns sway around slightly and the light node is animated eg. the light source actually follows the lantern around but it is very very very hard to notice especially if you use default DNC models because of the movement being really subtle.
There are more light models, some more lamp posts, braziers and torches as well. The flickering of torches and braziers is way more noticeable on the surroundings.
Also, some of the older models got revised and have extra functionality. Most containers (crates, boxes, carts, shelves, baskets and new interactive furniture) now have attachment points so you can make them into dummy units and attach items or other crap on them for whatever reason you want (loot ? fill in fetch quests ?) anything you crafty mappers will come up with, there is also display cases and weapon racks a la skyrim which are pretty much solely for that purpose.
Anything of attachment size should work, though some bigger models you find may end up being oversized.

185888-albums6426-picture79545.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I think I'm in love with those lanterns, I can't wait to get my hands on them and start tinkering with ideas. Can't wait for it, awesome work man, pure gold.