• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Hmmm, did you remove the "wc3imported\" from the textures? Did you import ALL the textures? did you alter the names of any of them? Are you using destructibles or doodads?

Level 17
Glad you solved your issue then !
Yeah figured :p you didn't import the textures, HFM stands for hybris factory model while HFT stands for the textures.
Simple naming convention I came up with. I name the final assets with HFM/HFT so it is easier to filter which files are forgotten/obsolete WIPs and then leave the tags on to prevent name conflicts with other resources.

Level 17
There is a test map in both packs and the doodads are already preset as structure doodads (in manor) and as user-defined prop doodads in kingdom.
Though if you want both packs you will have to import one into another because the test maps are separate.
You can import kingdom into manor, it is smaller and all textures should already be there so you will only have to set up the doodads in the doodad list.

I may merge the test maps sometime down the road, possibly when shire comes out. As it is they are meant more like the asset guide, all doodads are placed down and they are named the same way as the file names so you can look up names of specific models quickly by just clicking on them.

Level 28
No, they can't serve as a replacement for conventional lighting.
They are just volumetric effects to simulate light passing in three dimensional medium like fog/water/dust.
You still need omni lights for actual light if you are using black dnc for example.

Crap. That mean those smexy glows won't help me on my map.
211785-albums5481-picture71030.gif

Level 17
No unfortunately, You can somehow dodge your problem by using really high intensity (50~100) omni lights with high attenuation ranges like 1000~5000.
Space them out more so they don't overlay too much and you should have enough light to sufficiently light up everything with minimum glitches.

Level 28
No unfortunately, You can somehow dodge your problem by using really high intensity (50~100) omni lights with high attenuation ranges like 1000~5000.
Space them out more so they don't overlay too much and you should have enough light to sufficiently light up everything with minimum glitches.

Nah, thats not really the problem, the thing is that Blizzard's light on their torches disappear in-game when I place a custom model that also produce light.

Level 17
Oh lol. When does that happen ? When you place doodads in editor or when you create them in-game as effects/attachments w/e ?
My lights seem to co-exist with blizzard torches just fine, the glows don't emit light but all the lamps do though they are just as susceptible to the terrain lighting bug.

Also nope not trees yet, but I have some bushes and their snow variants. Most are wind animated and snow animated like the rocks, snow appears gradually and only on the tops of the leaves not on the other sides nor the branches.
That one is a sample of the foliage texture, turned out not as horrible as I thought and fits with the rest of the style fairly ok I think. Was afraid it would suck, because I have a track record of crappy plant textures lol.
To mix up the variations, the branches can be paired with either berry or flower layers. It is a small difference but I thought "why the hell not !" (it has "modular" in its name after all) though it may result in fairly large amount of models to import :p.

185888-albums6426-picture80571.jpg

Last edited:
Level 28
Oh lol. When does that happen ? When you place doodads in editor or when you create them in-game as effects/attachments w/e ?
My lights seem to co-exist with blizzard torches just fine, the glows don't emit light but all the lamps do though they are just as susceptible to the terrain lighting bug.

Doodads are placed on the editor since I uses them on my terrain. I'm not really sure about creating them in-game but I think it will harbor the same result.

Well since your model only produces glow then I guess it won't work since I already tried putting glow models on my terrain but when I checked it in-game they're not visible maybe because of the custom DnC.

Glow not working

Tab #1 clearly shows a glow on one of the structure but when you click Tab #2 it disappear D:

I wanted to show the problem I'm having with the Warcraft 3 torches but I don't have World Editor on my laptop.

Well I think the blame goes to the crappy old World Editor.

Level 17
The purple glow on the power crystal you mean ? Weird it looks entirely absent.
But I'm pretty sure making the glow unshaded will make it appear regardless of whether you have empty dnc or not, however it will also make it ignore the fog.

These lights/glows show through fog and completely black dnc as well. (because that is kinda how real lights behave)
And thus look kinda like this in 100% dense fog and black dnc.

185888-albums6426-picture80570.jpg

Level 17
Making a mesh unshaded will make it have a completely constant color yes, ignoring the smooth shading, the lights and the fog.
However it can still be colored with tinting color.

Also a side note, you can post some pics of nature related stuff for inspiration. Be it other games/real life etc.

Last edited:
Level 2
Amazing bushes, I can't wait to see the trees... I'm a tree fanatic >.>

As for inspiration or suggestions. Fir, Maple and Alder. Snow, Dead, Snow+Dead variations. Ferns or Ivy as well although I'd imagine those would be very tedious.
If they don't fit within the theme than all well, just some food for thought :)
Keep up the awesome work!

Level 28
The purple glow on the power crystal you mean ? Weird it looks entirely absent.

Yeah, really ruins my plan of making really unique atmosphere by using glows.

Oh wow, if your light works even on a custom dnc, then I'll probably just gonna wait for it since I don't really follow your instruction on how to fix the glow.(Can't model for a living D:)

However it can still be colored with tinting color.

Love you for this.

Cool bushes but the snow on the snow version looks weird but I guess it will look fine in-game.

Nature Stuff

Well as you said we can post some examples regarding nature. So here I've put some references.

Attachments

• B-E-013.jpg
    B-E-013.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 102
  • OAK-1.jpg
    OAK-1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 71
  • pine trees 02.jpg171c7df9-b8a8-41fa-a919-f25f4d9ddf6aLarger.jpg
    pine trees 02.jpg171c7df9-b8a8-41fa-a919-f25f4d9ddf6aLarger.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Pine_bark.jpg
    Pine_bark.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 104
  • stream and pine bushes.jpg
    stream and pine bushes.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Rhododendrons_and_Live_Oaks_Magnolia_Plantation_Charleston_South_Carolina.jpg
    Rhododendrons_and_Live_Oaks_Magnolia_Plantation_Charleston_South_Carolina.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 65
  • yellow-bushes.jpg
    yellow-bushes.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 85
Level 17
Good good ! I had similar things on mind, I like the trees with hanging moss on them. I'm already working on some streams, those that kinda run around rocks like the small ones in skyrim.
Also making some models of undergrowth, like a clump of many tiny plants (or flowers or dried leaves) kind of a thing for some tile variation so you don't "spam grass" but does not look utterly barren.

Level 17
Yes those are very good. I actually started working on some ivy/vines and also some palm trees.
As for the swamp, I also making some floatey water models and this one swampy tree type with patches of moss (that has these fern moss kinda things growing out of them) and the white hanging moss on its branches.
Still haven't decided whether to make the trees fully modular to lower the filesize or make fewer more detailed trees with higher filesize.

I'll probably make either and you will see which work better.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

At least I won't use any modular trees, but that's just me you know :)

Level 17
Updaters, not many picturers.
This one is a showcase of grayscaling. Branches and leaves are separate meshes allowing for leaves to be tinted separately.
You get pretty much any color you want, even black white or silver and you only have to import one texture.

Whether you want to use grayscale bushes/trees will be up to you. There will still be normal colored kinds of leaves and only about two variants of grayscale leaves which will be by default for magic trees (that will cycle through rainbow colors over time and glow a little) and season trees.

Aand that is about it, there is also a sample of one of the few stream models thrown in for good measure.

185888-albums6426-picture80707.jpg

Last edited:
Level 36
While the bushes look nifty, to say the least, I'm more curious about the stream models.
If they are efficient, and good looking at that, and versatile, then you can have my babies.
- We've never ever had a good way of making water torrent-like.

Also, since you're walk--- working on water, would some kind of model to make natural looking
3-dimensional waves be something you might look into? Cause I can't even begin to
imagine all the possibilities born out of stream and wave models that looks good.
- It'd sure as shit inspire some great works, though.

Level 17
Yeah they are a few watery kinda thingy I'm working on. They are mostly paired with the rock models but I can split them up.
There is a number of streams like this, then smaller streams that end in a small waterfall and some cascading waterfalls and waterfalls that get split by a sticking out rock/tree whatever you put there.
And lol I will try the waves but I can't guarantee they will look great :p

Level 10
Yeah they are a few watery kinda thingy I'm working on. They are mostly paired with the rock models but I can split them up.
There is a number of streams like this, then smaller streams that end in a small waterfall and some cascading waterfalls and waterfalls that get split by a sticking out rock/tree whatever you put there.
And lol I will try the waves but I can't guarantee they will look great :p

If you could make reflective surfaces and a moon... That would be epic. Good luck and hopefully you can put the ultimate terraining map to shame with awesomeness.

Level 17
Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I have been revising some of the water models because they aren't quite as good as I'd hoped.
So far I have made ash, alder, golden aspen, red maple and willowy swamp leaf types.
The thing is, those have a constant texture color but shall I made every single type greyscale.. the amount of variation could become mind boggling resulting in tree/bush models capable of 50+ variations per bush/tree type.
This would be useless for terrainers given you can't play animations in the editor (maybe ?!) but playable maps could have 50 different tree/bush variants with only a single model to import.

Now the greyscale can nearly match up the regular color of the leaves so I'm wondering whether just make every foliage model greyscale or if you want the regular colored textures too.

Here for example is, the ash leaves on the left are the regular color while the ones on the right are greyscale.

185888-albums6426-picture81037.jpg

Another matter I would like feedback on is, the first design I had for snow variants was supposedly meh so I would like to know which one would you like.
The original snow (right) or greyscale snow variant (left) which would not only have a snow variant but can also cycle through autumn variant yet generally does not look very correct when all white.

185888-albums6426-picture81036.jpg

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Personally, I'd really prefer the original one. Looks a lot more natural since snow obviously can't cover every single spot. I don't mind not being able to cycle animations.

Level 11
The thing is, those have a constant texture color but shall I made every single type greyscale.. the amount of variation could become mind boggling resulting in tree/bush models capable of 50+ variations per bush/tree type.
This would be useless for terrainers given you can't play animations in the editor (maybe ?!) but playable maps could have 50 different tree/bush variants with only a single model to import.

I didn't quite get that? How will this work exactly?

Level 17
The leaves are grayscale and the model can alter the color of their geoset during geoset animation.
So in stand - 1 the leaves will be green, in stand - 2 the leaves will be yellow, in stand - 3 they may actually go bonkers and do a rainbow. The trunks and branches will stay unaffected but can still change texture eg you can have the same model use birch texture and then oak or whatever else in different animation.

So you need one model and if you want lets say orange leaves + aspen tree trunk I look up the tree guide and see that variant is stand alternate - 39 then I go slap a region where I want my aspen trees to be, then create a trigger that will play stand alternate - 39 for doodads in region. Voila !
If you are a terrainer and don't want to import a million trees you can make a unit, lower the collision, make it fly and set the required animation name as "alternate" and "39" that will make the unit stuck in that animation when placed in editor and you can kinda make it as a replacement of a doodad.

The plants are also animated in wind in every animation using global sequence.

Last edited:
Level 11
wow! thats exciting! I thought that one needed to edit color codes in object editor.
This is way more cool...mappers can actually control scenery in real time. I am already thinking about the gameplay possibilities that can be achieved with this technique.
great, awesome idea!

And yes magic/tainted variants are also looking good. add em!

StryderZero said:
Environment doodads Please :)
Finally my request is now in progress.

By the way ,please release your complete modular kingdom now :} Its been too long after you've released your last pack. We've/I've been waiting for so long :). (Sorry because im really tired of looking on those images :) [No Offense] , maybe im just too excited , obviously :) ). [No offense]

(The question is , are you done finishing that Modular Kingdom Pack? [Excluding those foliages/trees] )

Level 17
No, unfortunately there is still a lot of stuff I want to redo/finish for kingdom. But I can give you most of what I have finished. It is about 12~13 extra models, the lights lamps and stuff and some animated chests/drawers.
I have finished/compiled most of these.

The stream models suffered my mighty banhammer and I deleted them, I'll be reworking them tho. They just need better model and texture basically.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Well, I'd really appreciate it if you share the finished ones with us. I'd be able to basically fill in the missing links in my designs/terrains of my project.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Awesome, thanks man. Btw, are there any new textures I should be aware of? (new or redone)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Hah, no problem. Thanks for the help mate.