1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Talavaj, Jul 21, 2013.

1. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Will you incorporate the 'douche shaders' into the map?

2. Keiji

Keiji

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Meaning it won't look this beautiful in my editor?
    - Douche indeed. >.>

3. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/24mi1rmdd31305m/ENB_series.rar
    Depends, you probably won't like it.
    The shaders don't work well with things that terrainers are fond of such as fog, glows, water planes etc. That is because the occlusion fully shows through alpha and alpha blend materials regardless of whether they are visually opaque or not (you will see what I mean when you try it) although you can disable it showing through such materials, but it may have another undesirable effects. (as such it won't show through ALL alpha materials which may look weird in certain cases.
    SSAO is more for detail dense interior scenes.

You can try mess with the presets though I guess, it still has depth of field, bloom and color correction. The ini file is simple to understand, you can disable SSAO there.
    Open it, copy contents into your wc3 folder (or editor folder if you have them separated) fire up editor hold shift and press F12.
    Not sure what are the settings in that exact setup, you may have to tinker with DOF parameters on per scene basis.

4. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can you show how it looks without the shaders, add some fog maybe etc...

5. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

That is it without shaders, and of course there is fog.
    It is black.

6. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I still like it, I think that if you add some other fog effects you can get it to look similar... I think...

7. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Bump,
    1.0.6 Version added, it contains a couple bug fixes. This being a mesh fix of Window balistraria variant 1 and fixes of all doorways and balistraria.
    They now use texture HFTGradient.blp that has to be imported. This should fix wonky coloring of the "inside" parts in aforementioned models when using alternate texture packs, the black parts now also render correctly in the fog.

I did some experimentation with puffy trees but they look too cartoony so I'm back to square one on that.

[​IMG]

Yes, speaking of that noticed how the blue mushroom glows ? When you put it on the ground the omni on the terrain appears to brighten and dim out.
    I was wondering how they did that because animating omni light's intensity and attenuation does not seem to work for me at all.
    What they did is that they animated the omni light's pivot point so it rises up and down and because wc3 is a strategy with mostly horizontal level design it is not really noticeable. (only on adjacent objects)

As such the omni from my lamp post will actually follow the lamp as it sways around and the movement should be visible (the wc3 default lamp does not do that for some reason, probably because the movement is really subtle)
    Similarly, omni from a firepit and torches will flicker around.
    However, at this moment I'm unable to replicate the effect. It does work but it does not illuminate doodads properly only the terrain. I have no idea why because the shroom does it without problems.

Also more about omni lights, works of a friend of mine Toby, who does some extensive work with them, made me realize some neat features of theirs.
    Such as that colored omni lights stack additively. And as such, a red with a blue omni light makes purple. Or that you can actually have omnis with a lot of different colors and intensities.
    His work inspired me to make another pack sometime down the road, that would be for purely cinematic purposes only. As such it would have light objects, fog, volumetric light, particles (dust, fireflies, gas and stuff like that) small "bloom" glows and even makeshift flares.
    It could be used to for example light up underground/dungeon terrains while not using the default light model. (which would allow for a lot of dynamic coloring)

8. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    they look nice... maybe you could keep this cartoony one, and just make a non-cartoony version... XD

9. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'd agree that these look a bit too cartoony, they'd fit better with "Pez" texture pack if you ask me. as for the rest, maybe desaturating the color a bit or making leaves smaller?

10. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I will keep the design for later maybe. I'll try to make leaves just the regular way. I'll just make higher resolution than usual and make them paletted, so the filesize shouldn't be that big.
    By the way what is weird on this terrain ? (not the ruined skybox)

[​IMG]

11. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The turtle-like sculpture on the left and above the plants?

12. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Pretty cool stuff you made! It's surely going to add an accessible variation to the repetitive terrain styles that we terrainers were forced to do, due to the lack of new representative resources within WC3.

I wonder where did you get the motivation to finish all that pack and make such a presentation for us, as well as continuing to develop it, lol

Good job!

13. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Too much free time I guess and a lot of practice helps !
    Eventually I would like to move onto unity (asset store) commercially if it still will be a thing by then.
    I'll have to work these next 4 months though so I guess I will have a lot less time for further upgrades during that period.

Also the intriguing thing about the terrain is that it is not a terrain but a "self sculpting" model, I was testing how feasible it would be to make a mountain model that could have different shapes and textures in different anims yet low filesize.
    It could be used as a tall mountain backdrop for example.

Also I would like to ask, what everything you would like to see in the environmental pack ?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  14. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmmmm, I'd be interested to see large vines or roots for jungles and redwood trees. Also, large LOS blocking grass like in SC2 maybe? Possibly large lily pads?

15. Shadow44

Shadow44

Resources:
    Resources:
    can you make tree without leaves? For winter terrain...

16. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yes, actually trees will come in parts and leaves will be separate models so yeah you will be able to do that with all types of trees.

17. Shadow44

Shadow44

Resources:
    Resources:
    that sounds good ;]

you can make some cliffs...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  18. lord_Turin

lord_Turin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    how is the progress on the project going?

i've been using the modulair buildings for some projects but i'dd really like some props that you should you were working on to really spice up the terrain!

19. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well, many props are done. The problem is compiling/exporting models out which takes some time.
    And because I'm now working most of the week I don't have that much time.

But I reckon I can release the first ~30 props out and add others later. Pretty much most of the basic furniture is done, I can try to release the first version next week or something like that.

20. lord_Turin

lord_Turin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    great, looking forward to that!