• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Veeeeery off topic but I'm in a rush and this has to be shared/seen. check it.

Level 17
Yeah sure, you are allowed to use it anywhere as long as proper credits are given.

Also about the textures, I was actually thinking about using texture atlas this time around for the foliage.
But I'm just not sure whether doing so will have any tangible results other than making the import/management of files easier.

Level 16
That would be a great idea, to have all the leaves in one texture but what is each leaves texture's size? Too bad you can't make textures larger than 512px, all the textures would fit better.
I am imagining generating normal maps for the textures since I got special software, that is if you don't make normal maps yourself and I don't really see why you should since it's for warcraft but if it would be used for other engines normal would be great. Both with normals or without will still look good along real time shadow on anyhow. Unity or Starcraft makes it easier for me without rendering all those shadow maps so expect great terrains in both. Actually I'd want to make a version for each of the three engines including warcraft for comparison.

Level 16
I don't really make games because I don't have people for that, rather stick with artistic terraining. If I ever do decide to make one and use Talavaj's models I'd have to give him a part of the share along with the credits if he approves of it, with Unity assets store in mind. I am actually keeping my eyes on his pack, although I can make models myself in such cases I wouldn't mind buying them from him.

wow. With those models you could make an awesome game toby^^ ...
Edit: Actually yes I could, combined with my work along with Geki's coding.

Last edited:
Level 17
The branch textures are 128x128 and bark textures are 64x64, but it would be impossible to atlas the tree leaves given the way of how I want the trees to have different variants in different animations.
There are however "clovers" models which are clusters of tiny plants, branches, rocks leaves and mushrooms (the stuff under the red maple are 3 clover models). Nearly two dozen of them, so it would be beneficial to atlas the texture for those I guess.

But it really comes down to ... dunno lol. The filesize is not really an issue, given atlasing generally does not even save 1% of the filesize and without the data on how wc3 handles materials/draw calls I can't even judge if atlasing them would save any real performance.
The pack is still upholding the "as much bang for your buck as possible" mindset, so you will probably end up seeing lower filesize than you would expect.

Though if you end up using them outside of wc3 you can atlas them easily and given lower draw calls is far more beneficial over there considering the filesize is not much of an issue there.

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Would you ever think of making a modern day pack with models that are like the last of us, there are many projects that are held back because of lack of material. Just take it into suggestion cause it would be a nice adittion, what's happening with Momento Mori?

Level 17
Would you ever think of making a modern day pack with models that are like the last of us, there are many projects that are held back because of lack of material. Just take it into suggestion cause it would be a nice adittion, what's happening with Momento Mori?
Maybe in the future.
Memento Mori is on hold at the moment.

Also tried to make a custom terrain tile, question is would you need that ?

Level 10
well, unless i overlooked something a terrain tile would be good to apply the snow effect on the ground maybe? As the brick tiles for the ground don't have the snow effect, and just changing the ground texture looks bad in comparison to what you managed to make. Maybe it's not even needed to be a real 'ground tile', a plain transparent model with a alternate snow animation (to cover up the ground below it, or at least to cover up the ongoing tile changing below it) would be quite nice. I think that if it would be round with smoothed edges (so you can easily cover up different shapes), this would be a nice addition to the pack.

Level 17
It is impossible to animate the terrain tile AFAIK, but there will be specific floor tiles like that in the first major content update for modular manor.
As for natural stuff, it could work I guess yeah but your terrain will have to be fairly flat otherwise it will clip bad.
I was thinking more about tiny snow clumps that you could scatter around for uneven terrain.

And the tile was very simple thing:
185888-albums6426-picture82097.jpg

Level 10
there was a misunderstanding, i was talking about a model not a ground texture. For those snow models, as i already said, if its round with fading edges (into transparency, e.g. let's say the circle has a diameter of 200 but only the central part with a diameter of 100 has no transparancy) this might be a solution for the clipping, but as you said only as long as the height differences are not that big, and smooth.

Level 16
Talavai, I am adopting your idea for using non terrain mesh for the terrain. How exactly are you making the terrains for MM? Using large textures is futile even in other game engines, tried 2046px texture in sc2 and it still isn't enough so that idea is scraped. Going to a better one like composite materials that act somewhat like a terrain brush is better. I first tried with vertex paint but failed, one thing that works is adding UV layers for each textures and a second UV mask for each one. It's workable but it's not quite like painting a textured, have to paint the mask which I'm making in different colors but I don't really see what I am doing so I am asking if there is any way to do this with vertex paint?

Level 17
Are you going to work on trees?
They are pretty much what I have been working on, apart from a few random things that have been requested before to break up the monotony lol.
These being castle building tiles, like wall ramparts towers, drawbridges, big windows and such.
Not too much, but it is another "major" material type joining the already existing bunch.
Adds a bunch new props and new modular manor pieces.
Like so:
185888-albums6426-picture82937.jpg

As for that Toby, no idea. I don't think vertex paint works given the models don't support vertex color.
Possibly, you could just make a low poly mesh, and tile the texture per polygon and where you would want to place a different tile you could simply duplicate the polygons apply a different texture (maybe a clump like texture which blends edges) and set the lowermost mesh to have material priority at -1 so it is below all other tiles.
Personally I have been doing only streets and floors like that so I use fairly flat mesh with tiled texture and break up the patter with extra geometry.

Level 2
I was thinking the other day about how we don't have a good well model, you read my mind haha. I got another one if you get bored! Animated watermill wheel.

Keep up the awesome work man!

Level 16
Vertex paint doesn't work as though, the mask blending is a better idea and it works well for sc2, I really wonder about wc3.

The large texture idea is ridiculed although I heard some games use that but the best use would be for mip like maps for distance cooling. As for wc3 the atlas split would be a great Idea but it will mean too many mesh pieces instead of one mesh which will be suckish.

Think I got the best results with the mask terrain - one mesh with multi uvw paints which will run excellent in game, no need for duplicate geometry. I'll be making a sample as soon as I manage to so I am wondering if you'll be using the method, it all looks and blends great without any breaking mesh. I think it works well for exterior environments but could be used in lots of ways as well since in wc3 you are fearly limited at texture size anyhow.

Nice models btw.

Level 11
What about desert ? Cacti/Dry bushes ?

A few desert plants would be nice, yes. But the Saguaro and the Date palm are passé. Here are some ideas for desert type vegetation. Please have a look and these are mere suggestions what you want to make is your own choice of course.

Examples: Round Ones. Perhaps you can use your faux parallax technique to make all those tiny thorns.

Joshua trees of the Mojave desert are one of my favorites. These you won't even have to animate because they don't shed their leaves and usually stay stiff in wind.

Then there is the ocotillo bush. It adds beauty and color to the desert. Ocotillo 3D model.

Lastly perhaps you can try your hand at making an Acacia tree.
They grow in north Africa and bloom when the rains are plenty. The burst of yellow adds life to the dull desert. Here is also a chance to add leaf seasonal change animations like you are doing in other trees, yes?

This is more of a request for future additions of exotic themed packs.

Level 17
I like those suggestions, I will probably make most if not all of them.
As for the stuff, I'm slowly finalizing trees. I'm not too happy about some but I'd say there is decent variety.
All in all, release shouldn't take much longer. I'm really just doing whatever comes on my mind.
The first version should contain 4 rock types, about a dozen + undergrowth models, 5 tree types (5~ trees per type) some bushes, flowers and random misc stuff like lilly pads, some tropical foliage and some desert foliage.
The generic stuff, the more specific stuff will come after.

I'll soon start exporting the models so I'll take a bigger pic of most of the stuff that is done together.

Level 10
I absolutely love your packs so far and i cant wait for new ones to be released.

But as i've been working on a map i noticed that there arent any chimney's. now i could construct them with other doodads but that wont look as nice. So I was hoping you could make chimney for rough/wood/cobble!

Attachments

• BenBlake.jpg
    BenBlake.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 220

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

@Lord Turin

That looks really lovely! Question though, where did you get those rock models? I think I'd seen that somewhere but I can't recall.

They're from a Unity Pack containing 700 models or so. LongBowMan bought them, converted them and uploaded to xgm.ru if I'm not mistaking.

Level 10
ye rocks are from xgm.ru

I dont hate the blizzard trees that much, but they are placeholders atm. for when the enviroment pack will be released :p

its supposed to be a playable map with HQ terrain.. wonder if i'll ever finish, atleast the terrain is nice to make :)

Level 17
It is not a texture problem given that some of the models use the same textures as those that are broken.
It is a weird thing indeed, possibly the files got corrupt or there is something wrong, maybe wc3 graphics setting ?

Level 17
I remade the swamp set a bit because I didn't really like it and doing stuff here and there so that the first release has a bit from temperate forest, dry steppe/desert, tropics, swamp and winter variant of the temperate forest.
The trees are a bit time consuming to animate so they may not be animated in the first release.

Level 2
That's great that we're getting so much variation, thanks again.
I'm personally fine without animations for the first release, I'd rather you took your time in the future to make them perfect anyways as I feel getting that "windy" look is very important.

Level 17
185888-albums6426-picture84066.jpg

Started exporting and compiling the assets.
What to expect (roughly)

Swamp - Swampy trees, pads, reeds, random grass, hanging moss
Deciduous + Coniferous - leafy trees and firs, bushes, cluster models (branches, mushrooms clovers, tiny bushes) many winter variants
Coastal + Tropic - palms (coconut, banana) ferns, ground foliage, climbing vines, roots
Desert - cacti, dry bushes, acacia and stuff

5 Types of rocks
Glade, Cave, Vale, Crag and Cove - separate and in formations, snow variations

Particle systems
Leaves, Pollen, Fireflies, Floating petals, Volumetric Lights

No cave stuff except for rocks, that may possibly come later. Around 4~5 models per type. Many models.
Anything else you would like added ?

Last edited:
Level 2
I love those trees, would a preview of the rocks be possible? :) Keep up the awesome work man!
Also on the subject of caves, stalactites, stalagmites and with different colors (Grey or brown mainly) and dripping water would be awesome.