• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

WICKED! :3

Are those animated btw? I mean can units chop down those?

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Those are gorgeous. I especially love the color palette, it invokes a feeling of size and density with it's overall darker style.

Level 17
Are those animated btw? I mean can units chop down those?
Nope, that would be way too much work. Later I may make one tree per type that will have a chopped down animation.

:eek: oooo, I like this one
but are those plants and trees already in
the Attached packs in the very first post?
The environmental stuff isn't in the OP yet, it will have its own pack.

The rocks, I haven't exported yet but they look like:
185888-albums6426-picture84069.jpg

Every type except for cove has a snow texture. Base textures are either 50~ kb or 20~ kb (compressed palette version) meaning about 100~150kb per rock type. (textures and all models)
Every rock type has separate rocks, boulders (the ones in the pic) and then type specific formations.

Level 17
About 2 weeks I think. Not all rocks have the "square" base but most of them do.

A final thing I was trying to do is custom terrain/cliff doodads. It sorta works but it is pointless because I realized it cannot be animated.
I hoped I could create animated snow tile that works like snowy models but the game/editor crashes when you select the model if it has animation.
Still.. it is marginally more useful because you can create higher resolution tile with them and they are marginally more efficient because they have texture filtering unlike the actual terrain tile.
TLDR it is a doodad that is shaped with terrain tools (like cracked ground doodads).
Not sure what it would be useful for though :p given it refuses to be animated and oh yeah, it bypasses the tileset number limit I think but its edges don't blend with the regular tileset and it has minor glitches.

185888-albums6426-picture84163.jpg

Level 2
I approve of the base, I think it adds a "skirt" effect which will make blending doodads much easier and add more interesting geometry to landscapes. As long as we get the singular rocks as well so we can flip and fiddle with those :)
Keep up the awesome work!

About 2 weeks I think. Not all rocks have the "square" base but most of them do.

A final thing I was trying to do is custom terrain/cliff doodads. It sorta works but it is pointless because I realized it cannot be animated.
I hoped I could create animated snow tile that works like snowy models but the game/editor crashes when you select the model if it has animation.
Still.. it is marginally more useful because you can create higher resolution tile with them and they are marginally more efficient because they have texture filtering unlike the actual terrain tile.
TLDR it is a doodad that is shaped with terrain tools (like cracked ground doodads).
Not sure what it would be useful for though :p given it refuses to be animated and oh yeah, it bypasses the tileset number limit I think but its edges don't blend with the regular tileset and it has minor glitches.

185888-albums6426-picture84163.jpg
Still, it's a lot better than tiles:thumbs_up:

Level 17
Those parts are blurry because they are in an angle, this is because of texture filtering.
Regular tileset doesn't have texture filtering.

Overall, it is not ideal to make regular tiles with (because they don't blend with the terrain like the terrain does) but I suppose you could do things like floors/roads/ground tiles with it pretty good.

Level 17
I don't think I can. That's how it works, that is how it should work. It is anomalous enough they disabled it for the terrain tile.
It's what mip mapping is for.
It is strange it hurts your eyes :p given that the purpose of Mipmap it is to not make your eyes hurt because of the massive noise/flickering it would result in otherwise. (like it does now when you look at distant tiles)
Though in a regular camera angle it will look normal.

And I take it you mean the palm with the rocks under it ? Yeah those are two separate models actually, both from the island/cove set.

As for thee square bases of the rocks, there is a number of reasons for them. (from the workflow/technical perspective)
But they make no difference in practice because you will just sink them into the ground duh :p
Besides it is below the terrain tile by default, as seen here. (the grey square is the terrain level)
The reason why they all are seated on a square base is so they can tile into larger elements like archs and cliffs. (the arch, and the bigger mossy boulders are tiling)
It also stems from the workflow behind them, they are first a flat square then sculpted into boulders according to the texture parameters, instead of being modeled first and then wrapped with some ugly ass wrap.
There are also small rocks that have no base though.

185888-albums6426-picture84190.jpg

And one more thing that is different with this tile, is that it is still a doodad. Eg it can have grass/rocks whatever as part of the actual tile and can have much higher density than the regular terrain, but it is still considered a terrain and can be shaped with terrain tools and such.
As such:

185888-albums6426-picture84212.jpg

And here is an example of proposed usage. For floors/roads dungeon tiles etc.
Thrown in some dividers to hide the seams and you have some unique alternative to your regular tileset.
And if you want to, you can still use the model as a regular doodad by simply assigning it to a non cliff type doodad as well.
The only issue with this type of tile is that it does not behave well with calculated shadows, and that it is unbuildable.

185888-albums6426-picture84243.jpg

Last edited:
Level 28
And one more thing that is different with this tile, is that it is still a doodad. Eg it can have grass/rocks whatever as part of the actual tile and can have much higher density than the regular terrain, but it is still considered a terrain and can be shaped with terrain tools and such.
As such:

Oh my ghad, the day of 16 tileset limit is finally over!

Great job. I can't wait to get my hands on those.

The only issue with this type of tile is that it does not behave well with calculated shadows, and that it is unbuildable.

Too bad, but the pros of this is simply too much.

Level 17
That one rock thing is just an example :p
Yeah those sidewalks are probably gonna be necessary to cover seams, as you can see on the wood screenshot, what happens is it makes a seam around the tile with the replaceable ID (cliff tileset) texture, which may need some covering up if your cliff tile is unsuitable.

I was thinking of dividers like those seen here, to separate a turf doodad (let's call it that, for lack of a better word) from a turf doodad.
Just like in the pic below.

1fbd5a41-b4f8-49b5-8fc5-2aff4986c06f_scaled.jpg

Tested it just in case, I'm assuming there is no limit seems you can make as many of these things as you want.

185888-albums6426-picture84279.jpg

Last edited:
Level 16
This is great and all but don't you have problems with performance? I remember trying this out myself one time. Good thing - it can be shapes with the terrain and all that stuff
Bad thing - Doesn't shade right with lighting, drains performance

Maybe I'm wrong but maybe you are doing something different wich I want to ask you don't you get dark spots with black light or anything unusual? Another thing that suck is that it doesn't work with alpha transparencies. This might of been wonderful with more texture layers.

Level 17
No performance issues that I noticed, shadow issues are only when you use a custom mesh tile and only at the backside of large terrain elevations (where it makes the shadows), when it just lays flat or is slightly curved it is fine.
You can use the legit mesh form (2x2 polygon without extra geometry) and it will shade correctly.
It can also use alpha blend transparency, you just have to make two layer material with a transparent material on top and sort the far Z so that the blend material is the only thing rendered.
This will allow you to see the skybox, but won't let you see anything underneath the tile unfortunately.

The only thing that has no workaround I think is that calculated shadows are messed up.

Level 17
I will make a couple to match the existing sets (wood cobble etc) and one with sample texture that you can replace for whatever you want.
The tile is 2x2, equivalent to size 2 square terrain brush without corners, one square on the grid is equal to one tile on the turf model.
The difference is that the turf model tiles a texture per square on the grid, so if you use 64x64 texture you will get the same resolution as the regular tileset.
If you use 512x512 texture you will get 64 times... higher resolution than the tileset.
Like in the pic below, so no :p unless you use texture under 64x64 it won't be blurry.
You can also see the seam of the regular tileset on the pic, whereas there is no seam on the turf model.

This also means that a turf model of the same resolution as the regular tileset will only be about 15~17 kb.

185888-albums6426-picture84422.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Uhh so.. Is it a tileset or model? :/

Level 17
Uhh so.. Is it a tileset or model? :/
Both. It is a custom "ruined ground" model. It is a doodad but when you place it it replaces the tileset and you can shape it with terrain tools like it is a normal tileset.
I thought of using it long ago to replace ubersplats, but it does not work that way unfortunately.
I got back to it now that I was making the rocks and wanted some tile to put under my cave rocks and stuff, but I wanted some extra definition like a tiny rock or a piece of grass sticking out but without having to put them down manually all the time.
So I tried it and figured out you can use it for a lot of neat things, I think you can for use it for things like a trapdoor tile that has a cellar under it or a sinkhole in the ground with water or a cave at the bottom etc, apart from the obvious purpose of using it as a cheap tileset replacement.

Last edited:
Level 2
How's the pack comin' along?
I have a suggestion for future additions: Water surface white foam, currently it can be quite hard to create a natural flow for rivers. An example would be in most of Skyrim's rivers near waterfalls and rapids.

Level 17
Yeah I was working on and already made some water models. They weren't exactly how I wanted them though so they aren't final.
Also if memory serves me right somebody asked for picture frames was it ?

Either way, I'm sorry for the lack of updates. My girlfriend is off the school since a couple weeks and I didn't get to sit behind this properly.

Level 2
All good, life should always take precedence :) Would you be able to provide an ETA? As I'm sure we're all anxious to get our hands on this masterpiece. :D

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

The environmental assets look awesome. Can't wait to use them, any news on when we might be seeing them released?

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Awesome, it will be the next milestone in terraining, mark my words.

Level 17
Working on it, the animations are still messed up and I still don't know what is wrong with it so that is that.
But the rest is ok, so later today I will try to put out all the rocks and the pine set and the island set (which also has grasses/bushes and trees other than palms and bananas) which are pretty much all exported by now. (except without animations)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Well, I for one need the static ones so even if they're not animated it's not too big of a deal. I guess you could release them in 2 sets - animated and stock.