• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Terraining Contest #1: Place of Cult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032
hd-png.376391
terraining-png.373692
contest-png.373719
png.373678
1-png.373674

contest-theme-2-png.421545

Contestants must create a scene depicting a place of cultist worship. E.g. a place used for dark rituals, gatherings, summonings etc.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However, if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post 2 Works-In-Progress (pictures or videos) in the contest thread during the contest process. It must be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • The submission must be posted in the respective Gallery (Terrain Art) section, before the contest ends.
    • The description must make it clear it's a submission from the respective contest i.e. HD Terraining Contest #1.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Do not use off-site image hosting to post your entry.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain, however you may use them to crop and rotate.
  • The terrain must be made using HD assets made for Warcraft III: Reforged.
  • Custom made HD assets are allowed.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.
other_judges-png.311510

• To be announced.
  • (New alternate judging system may be applied if no judges are found)

other_contest_judging-png.311506

AestheticsOverall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./35

Creativity
How unique and original is the idea? How inventive is the execution? How creatively does it conform to the contest theme?/30

Detail
Measurement and balance of detail in design. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./35
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)​

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on Jan 25, 2023 and conclude on Mar 25, 2023 GMT (day is included).

other_entries-png.311509

Last updated 25-03-2023

CONTESTANTWIPENTRY

Sapprine

WIP 1 | WIP 2

JnM

WIP 1 | WIP 2

FeelsGoodMan

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Alan_

WIP 1

CustomCreations

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Le Shaysonio

WIP 1

BranaR

WIP 1

Shayoo

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Assigned Staff: @Archian

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:
So this is my first contest, ever and I'm doing well, very excited. But I do have a bunch of questions.

1. Do actual tiles have to be a part of the terrain or can an entry be (almost purely) doodad-only? Is the score impacted if the terrain doesn't include actual terrain?
2. In what form must the entry be submitted? Map file? Screenshots?
3. Will judges reviewing the map free-roam their camera in the editor, or are you as the submitter supposed to pre-place cameras in the editor and add like an in-game text command to swap between perspectives?
4. Are in-game artistic filters/Camera fade effects allowed for screenshots? (100% in-game, no image editing tools involved)
5. I am making a lot of models myself atm that only look 'correct' from specific angles, does this impact the Detail-aspect of the score if something doesnt look proper from its backside?

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
So this is my first contest, ever and I'm doing well, very excited. But I do have a bunch of questions.

1. Do actual tiles have to be a part of the terrain or can an entry be (almost purely) doodad-only? Is the score impacted if the terrain doesn't include actual terrain?
2. In what form must the entry be submitted? Map file? Screenshots?
3. Will judges reviewing the map free-roam their camera in the editor, or are you as the submitter supposed to pre-place cameras in the editor and add like an in-game text command to swap between perspectives?
4. Are in-game artistic filters/Camera fade effects allowed for screenshots? (100% in-game, no image editing tools involved)
5. I am making a lot of models myself atm that only look 'correct' from specific angles, does this impact the Detail-aspect of the score if something doesnt look proper from its backside?
whats a WIP?
WIP means 'work in progress' i.e. a half finished preview of your entry.

1. That's your choice. No penalty for not using terrain tilesets. On the contrary, more creative ways are usually awarded.
2. Screenshot.
3. Only the screenshot.
4. Yes :)
5. No. Only the final scene depicted will be judged.

Terrain doesn't mean only 'land'. By terraining we mean creating a scenery using the game general aesthetics or custom ones. How you're creating the scene in your mind, it's all up to you.

Good luck to everyone btw!

Level 5
Questions!
This is my very first time participating in an event on this site and thus not everything is clear to me.
  • The terrain must be made using HD assets made for Warcraft III: Reforged.
  • Custom made HD assets are allowed.
Judging from these 2 points which are the only ones being confusing to me, does this mean;
  1. When making the map can I simply swap to reforged graphics and only use "vanilla" stuff?
  2. Would I be allowed to base it off "The Ultimate Terraining Map"?
  3. How can I identify which assets are made for Reforged?
Thanks a lot in advance!

When making the map can I simply swap to reforged graphics and only use "vanilla" stuff?
I believe so, also stuff from here: Custom Warcraft 3 Reforged HD Models
Would I be allowed to base it off "The Ultimate Terraining Map"?
Nope.
How can I identify which assets are made for Reforged?
I believe MDX900 (or MDX1000 I'm not sure) is a requirement.

I'm just replying what my interpretation of the rules is, @Archian will clarify soon enough.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I am sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but only HD models specifically made for Reforged HD mode are allowed as per this rule:
Yeah... I think everyone should post credits for the stuff used when they upload their final picture.
Do these count as "Cult"? I'd like someone to take inspiration from these:
Not necessarily an issue that they are not Reforged but really, who will watch 30mins or so of melee gameplay just to get some nice angles and contest theme related ideas?

Attachments

• Scenic HD Contest Final.w3m
    10.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I believe MDX900 (or MDX1000 I'm not sure) is a requirement.
MDX900 is dead. It was only used in November and December of 2019.
Most HD custom models are MDX1000, with the exception that ever since August 17, 2022 patch now all the ingame assets are a new format MDX1100.

But these format numbers are stupid and basing the requirement on them is stupid. All of the classic "SD" models on Patch 1.33 and beyond are stored in the MDX1100 format.

Inside the format, the 3D mesh may choose to use either the old shader or the new shader. Geometry that uses the new shader turns invisible on classic mode.

So, it might help to be specific with what is and is not banned. If I make a map that contains all 1 GB of MDX1100 SD "classic" assets from Patch 1.35 inside the map, but where I flip their shader setting to use the "HD" mode shader so that the geometry of these assets disappears on "Classic Mode", do they become allowable?

Automation could create such a map quite easily. I developed a rudimentary script to do this with all models inside a map during Reforged Beta back when the game did not support Frozen Throne models and only supported MDX900, even for classic models.

More importantly, I could use that same tool that I do/did have on the Ultimate Terraining Map. Would that magically make it legal for this contest?

Or, maybe such a map would violate the site rules because it modified models without author permission? Would the map become legal if I got the permission of every author of every model in the Ultimate Terraining Map?

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
well I didn't say do a 1:1 conversion but ok, fine

anyway; first one is a dungeon crawler in a ruined/dead city filled with zombies, ghosts, shadow/void walkers and some cultists, second is a large scale map of a survival town against the rest of the towns and cities that has been ruined by cultists - I'd like someone to do something like those

Level 5
Hi, mods, sorry if I'm wasting ur time.
I'm editing this message since i'm withdrawing from the competition.
Because of the fact that's it's reforged graphics and the editor refuses to cooperate with me and function the way I want it to I'm just not gonna bother.
I don't own reforged and i will not buy it.
If i've been added to the list of competitors, remove me.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Level 20
Last edited:
My Entry for the HD Terraining Contest!

Despite the Lich King's defeat, remnants of the Cult of the Damned still roam the Plaguelands and the ruins of their former bastion of Scholomance. Dark unholy rituals light the night sky around Caer Darrow. Abominations are stitched, ghouls mutated and meat wagons assembled...

Terrain Contest Entry.png

Map file here:
HD_Terraining_Contest_Entry_By_Sapprine.W3m

All custom models you see here are put together by myself and were made exclusively for this contest. I've also uploaded most of them to HIVE now.
Feel free to take a look :)

Used models:
Dead Skeleton Prop
Meat Wagon Parts
Cityscape Ruins Wall BUNDLE
Severed Abomination Parts
Hanging Meat Hook

Last edited:
I might try to update/polish my entry to a degree before the deadline hits, as there's a lot of rough edges that look pretty shotty and those broken walls in the background look really cheap and 2D....

Also I stupidly forgot to hide the light source particles 😅
And in hindsight I shouldn't have been so lazy and kept part of the roof intact rather than deleting it entirely...

Definitely gonna cost me a lot of time, but worth the score points from the Detail-aspect

Last edited:
Level 6
Hi, i'd like to participate to this vanilla hd contest.

Lore :

The "Ravenclaw Cult" was once a keep built in a natural obsidian volcanic cavern, for sorcerers, following the guardian Medivh. Now abandonned and forgotten for years after Medivh disappearance, the remnance of their magic link to forbidden experiment with rifts of the void, was recently used by a lich and it's followers to channel into reality a being of this dimension.

Their goal, to create and empower their forces, to raid more villages in the area with assembled and stronger fleshlike monster from both plague and void element.

WIP 1 :
View attachment 427825
Entry for Hive's HD Terraining Contest #1 (WIP 1)

WIP 2 :
ravenclaw cultv2.JPG

Entry for Hive's HD Terraining Contest # (WIP 2)

FINAL ENTRY :

Lore :

The "Ravenclaw Cult" was once a keep built in a natural obsidian volcanic cavern, for sorcerers who had betrayed the guardian Medivh in their arts. For eras in the shadows, they contributed to study both plague and void elements from shards deeply embedded within the volcanic floors from which a strange wishpering fluid told them to gather new souls for power...

The recent news of disappearing arcane apprentices near the blackrock moutain alerted Medivh who felt a strong and dark presence within the caverns and tunnels of the old volcano.

Invinsible to their eyes, he discovered inside, that the cult had corrupted and transformed sorcerers, to create and empower a new being, channeling into madness and chants of forbbiden spells... The lord of flesh, plagues and void rose from the gathering...

Medivh : "Azeroth be protected..."

revenclaw v3 final.JPG

link in gallery : FINAL Entry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.