• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Modeling Contest #1 - Hero's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
My work in progress
1620266907641.png

In my quest to make "Horrible PKBlaster PKB Editor!!!!111" I made a custom UI that can do "File -> Open" on the PKB, and then select strings within it, enter a new string of a different length, press ENTER to save it, and then I did "File -> Save" and saved out the PKB to a file that I selected.

1620452162678.png

Using this, I was able to take one of the two particles on the left (the purple and red are in-game) and introduce a blue one into my map.

1620452194346.png

Now I am well on my way to having the technology to make fancy custom PKB files for my hero character for this contest later, just solely for the purpose of showing off! :)

Geosets looking good on the ride (might need to add some team color, but then again, it's a hero with glow and all that).

Now to make the gnome (somefockinghow) and then to edit every animation, which will probably not work at all, we'll see... at least it will be a nice museum piece if not working.

If it wasn't clear, this is the WoW piece I'm trying to replicate, or make look similar:

The Ride!.JPG

Edit: Some amazing luck with cat's leg back-bones, they match the mechanostrider perfectly, this will be much easier than I thought.
(ignore the attempts to make an elf looks like a gnome, lots of work there needed)

Last edited:
WIP-3

Still a lot of work to do, however geosets are.. let's say 95% done.
Need to connect the "power cable" to the mount's back thingy, fix every awkward animation issue, add some nice popcornFX and a few minor changes here and there. Looks like a few days of work.
Calling the hero Arc Lancer.

ArcLancer v0.5.JPG

A few more angles without the strong lighting in RMS:

ArcLancer v0.6.JPG

Last edited:
That's sick dude! Love the mount and that you gave her mech arms and legs :)
That's kind of the thing about Mechagnomes, augmentation and being as little "flesh" as is possible. They're basically believing to return to their original state as the titans made them before the whole curse of flesh thingy.
It is a little bit silly lore-wise, but not that bad in my opinion, since gnomes were a joke race from the get go. Pretty sure every non WoW player on Hive must instinctively hate any new lore, but some pieces of it are just nice in my opinion.

XWztv8r.jpg

Level 15
Going to comment here, but the legs look a bit long for a gnome. Maybe it's just the angle. Use your own judgement.
I sort of agree, the leg to arm ratio definitely looks sort of T Rex'y. However it really allows someone to see the definition in the legs such as that neat little gear and the iron stirrup. Then again maybe a few more angles in future screenshots will show that I'm completely wrong in thinking that the legs are short.

Regardless I am super excited to see that thing in game!

Thanks for feedback... I already noticed another small issue, while I tried to use copper instead of bronze metal for the gnome, it still looks too similar to mount, might need to go full steel on those limbs, or she will be a bit lost in the model.
The legs are extended with the "piston" part or whatever... let's say a rider's augmentation.

Contest turned out more active than I thought, happy to see so much participation! Can't wait to see more WIPs!

Dear friends, I am delighted to present my Modeling Contest WIP to you; The shadow hunter hero for the forest troll race.

Most of the work so far has been to give a forest troll model the animations of the classic shadowhunter.

Now that that is done, the job will be to give it more personality by adding stuff, a more "forest troll" identity. I have already started this work by giving the weapon a "forest troll cultural" aspect which forced me to also work on the aspect of the projectile effect

WIP_heroForestShadowHunter.PNG

Five days left to finish, what's your progress guys?
Getting there, allowed myself some time for my little gnome again, almost done, just some polishing left.

Would like to see everyone doing their best, so I'm up for extension if other's need it.

Alea jacta est, Here's my entry to the contest, I hope I don't forget anything...

Level 4
My role model is not a hero. Consequently... my delivery is slipping a bit by the rules, at least it's a Neutral, and I also think it's very useful for many who wish to have an alternative worker. So I know I won't be competing on equal terms anymore. The days this month were very busy... I couldn't reach the middle of my Bandido-Archer hero mounted, but the Villager Worker will be delivering I believe that today... there are still some adjustments, after all, there are many animations and additionals accessories to make adaptations .
VillagerWorker.png

Last edited:
Hey I didnt post additional info and I'm a day late on this but in the end I made that PKBlaster program hoping to make a model using a colorized PKB, but then I got lazy and forgot to actually use that program to make an entry for this contest, so I did not make anything and we will have to leave it to others to see what they came up with.

Best of luck guys! Maybe later I'll make a model to represent what I would have entered if I had made something in time, or something like that. Keep the hype rolling! :)

Hey I didnt post additional info and I'm a day late on this but in the end I made that PKBlaster program hoping to make a model using a colorized PKB, but then I got lazy and forgot to actually use that program to make an entry for this contest, so I did not make anything and we will have to leave it to others to see what they came up with.

Best of luck guys! Maybe later I'll make a model to represent what I would have entered if I had made something in time, or something like that. Keep the hype rolling! :)
On one side I'm sad, on the other overjoyed... that we'll have a program to finally edit previously untouchable elements of Reforged... finally everything I want can be Fel magic or Arcane, this will be a game changer, thanks for your work man!

Status
Not open for further replies.