• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
As strange as it sounds, I play the Violin. I WISH I had a guitar, though.

Believe it or not, my favorite orchestra musics come from games. The TES III: Morrowind theme, the Halo theme (and Mjolnir mix), the Zelda theme, and the Super Mario theme are my favorite orchestra songs of all time.

Have you ever listened to Apocalyptica? They play Metal in Cellos... that's pretty awesome...

try that, I think you'll like!

Level 14
Bullet for my valentine and all Emo/screamo/wannabe punk crap.. typically fail.

Is drowning pool still a band? The last time they had a hit song was when "bodies" came out...

Level 15
Yeah, bodies was hot. Disturbed, IMO, is an AWESOME band. David Draiman=da' shiznit', especially since he's Jewish. MA JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWS!

Level 14
I don't really care about the band... I just like that one song.

Fair enough.
As a music major, every time I hear bands like Bullet for my Valentine and EyeHateGod, or some other piece of crap band, I die a little more inside. Because their music is completely devoid of any kind of substance. yay I can do a powerchord and write one and five chords! lawllawlalwawl...
Those bastards make me sick. The complete idiocy of emo/scream/punk is astoundingly retarded.

That music is made to pander to the completely ignorant and uneducated masses. It makes me sick. Listen to something with substance. Listen to something that will challenge everything that you believe. Not "Zomg my gf left me, ima cut myself.. OOOO"

.. semi-rant over... o_O

Level 15
You've got a good point. Most of my songs have meaning (specifically Disturbed and Nickelback) with the exception of Powerman 5000's Drop the Bombshell and When Worlds Collide.

Level 14
Don't get me wrong, sometimes one can be in the mood to listen to mind-numbingly generic bands, but at least listen to something that has some substance.

listen to Tool, you won't know what hit you. or hell even the Deftones

P.S. I like Disturbed too lol

Level 36
Don't get me wrong, sometimes one can be in the mood to listen to mind-numbingly generic bands, but at least listen to something that has some substance.

listen to Tool, you won't know what hit you. or hell even the Deftones

P.S. I like Disturbed too lol

Jesus, Tool and Deftones. Two of my favourite bands. Now that's half-metal/hard rock with good substance. Plus Danny Carey rapes the drums.

But as for your lobbing Punk into the same grouping as emo/screamo, I must protest. Punk may seem simple at heart, but it certainly isn't. Punk guitar is generally rather complex, and the lyrics are where it shines. Punk goes where other genres wont: into the social issues of the world. It basically picks up where blues left off, replacing sadness for anger, and soul for bitter sarcasm.

Level 15
..Which can be seen in Green Day. I like Green Day (my favorite song by them is Holiday) for the way they sound, and how they put their opinions into song. I also like Bad Religion (10 in 2010) and The Offspring (All I Want), because they too put their opinions into what they sing. Brad is right now just as he is all the time-Punk has meaning, even more so than the other music I have on my Zune playlist.

Level 14
Jesus, Tool and Deftones. Two of my favourite bands. Now that's half-metal/hard rock with good substance. Plus Danny Carey rapes the drums.

But as for your lobbing Punk into the same grouping as emo/screamo, I must protest. Punk may seem simple at heart, but it certainly isn't. Punk guitar is generally rather complex, and the lyrics are where it shines. Punk goes where other genres wont: into the social issues of the world. It basically picks up where blues left off, replacing sadness for anger, and soul for bitter sarcasm.

I'm sorry, I meant to say "wanna-be punk bands" who in general suck.

and yes I have to agree, Danny Carey = raper of Drums

Level 36
Metal. I like bands like sonata arctica, firewind, blind guardian, dragonforce, as well as older bands like metallica and iron maiden. Whole genre really, except I don't really like death metal. Too much growling.

All great except Metallica. Wannabe sell-outs they are. The last good thing they produced was Black and then that was that.

And Dead Kennedys= <3.

Level 4
Favorite Genres: Industrial, Synthpop, Futurepop, EBM.

Favorite Bands: VNV Nation, Front 242, Apoptygma Berzerk, DAF, Das Ich and also Army of the Pharoahs.

Level 28
Metal. I like bands like sonata arctica, firewind, blind guardian, dragonforce, as well as older bands like metallica and iron maiden. Whole genre really, except I don't really like death metal. Too much growling.

The same as you. But, just as Brad, I don't like Metallica that much, the only song that sounds cool when played by theirselves is Fade to Black. I only listen to Metallica when played by Apocalyptica >> 100% WIN!

All great except Metallica. Wannabe sell-outs they are. The last good thing they produced was Black and then that was that.

And Dead Kennedys= <3.

Yeah, glory to Dead Kennedys!

Level 14
Don't you people have last.fm?!

For me: almost all kinds of rock (ROCK, not METAL), mainly alternative. Also Industrial and Electronic. I preffer not to listen to pop bullshrimps. And little rapcore.

About bands... many bands in my heart...

The Prodigy
AC/DC
Supergrass
Rammstein
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Sex Pistols
Rage Against the Machine
(best. alternative. band. ever.)
Ramones
Did I mentioned The Prodigy?
and, ofcourse,
Infected Mushrooms
Chemical Brothers
Fatboy Slim

well, you get it.

Level 14
Nah, my favourites are "Surrender", "Music for the Jilted Generation" and "You've come a long way, baby". "We are the night" is still really good, thought, "Half Way" is nice, but I fairly dislike most of the tracks in "The Fat of the Land". Even think that "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned" is better. Just don't like so much false industrial.

Level 15
What about the oldies, like Queen; Inner Circle; MC Hammer? I'll admit, I only have one of each band's songs, but they're still good...

Level 14
Hey, last night I saw Inner Circle - Sweat on the TV! It was great!

Still, preffer Manu Chao and UB40. And moreover - preffer ragga and Ragga Jungle (PsychoFreud ftw!)

And when we are talking about ragga, there are some awesome BG ragga artists, like Wosh, DiS (Denyo & Sensei), MD Beddah... cool artists. BG hip-hop ain't dead.

Queen are good imo, really good band. Still, they aren't the best rock band ever, they are just among the legends.

Best Rock Band Ever = Pink Floyd. I preffer oldschool psychdelic and progressive rock.

EDIT: Oh My Dog, I forgot the Red Hot Chili Peppers! *sucide*

Level 5
Rock, Metal... Fav band, hmmm: SYSTEM OF A DOWN, BOY SETS FIRE, RAMONES, AFI. These are the best.

Level 21
Calvin Harris

calvin.jpg

Level 7
I'm just gonna go post away my fav bands:

AC/DC
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Thrice
SOME Three Days Grace
Breaking Benjamin
Tool
Pantera
Nirvana
Iron Maiden (Of Corse)
Dragonforce (only some)
Rise Against
NAAST
Motorhead
Avenged Sevenfold
Guns N Roses
Great Kills 5 (This band isn't a real FAMOUS band, then again nor are they profession, but I still think they are great none the less!)
Nickleback (Only Hero)
Led Zapplin
and last but not least... AARON CARTER!!! Jk! Ha... I don't know anyone who likes this person... Bhaa... :grin:

Level 3
Meh, i'm bored so...

Favorite bands:
Dark Moor (Gates of Oblivion, Halls of the Olden Dreams and had one of the best female vocalist EVER)
Lost Horizon
Nocturnal Rites (Shadowland and Grand Illusion)
Queensyrche (OPERATION MINDCRIME!!!!)
Naglfar (Vittra)
Judas Priest
Blind Guardian
Edge of Sanity
Eluveitie
Accept (Hell Yeah!)
Running Wild

Okay bands:
Iron Maiden (good, but only problem very inconsistent)
Candlemass (dunno, but what i've listen to so far, good)
Emperor
Profundi
Bewitched

Bad Bands:
Dragonforce (Very messy, all the songs sound the SAME!)
Mortician (Just sucks)
Slipknot (Hate nu metal, ultra posers)
Korn (same reason as slipknot)
Nightwish (LAME)
Pantera (ugh)
Behemoth (new behemoth, their vocals suck hard)

Looking to listen:
Dissection
Atheist
Immortal
Spastic Ink
Mercyful Fate

Last edited:
Level 9
Rock and Metal:

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
AC DC
Jimi hendrix (God)
Metallica
Nirvana
Van Halen
The Who
Guns and Roses
Kiss
Aerosmith
The Sex pistols
The Ramones
Queen
Soundgarden
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Clash
Alice Cooper
Pearl Jam
Deep Purple
Judas priest
Iron Maiden
Cheap Trick
Rush
Motorhead
Iggy Pop
Rock
Motley Crue
Red Hot chilli peppers
The Doors
Dep Leppard
Whitesnake
Rage against the machine
The Beatles
The Kinks
Frank Zappa
Yardbirds
Neil young
Stone Temple pilots
Megadeth
Pantera
Scorpions
Janis Joplin
SMashing pumpkins
Slayer
Korn
Anthrax
Bad company
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Foo fighters
Britney Spears
Spinal Tap
Bon Jovi
King Crimson
Black Crowes
Quiet Riot
Meat Loaf
Pink Floyd
Foreigner

that's about half.

Level 3
somebody metioned earlier about the king of guitars

i have to say that Ron Jarzombek of Spastic Ink/Watchtower is the king, yngwie malmsteen is good don't get me wrong but...eh something about him...i wonder

Level 9
What?

The absolute god of guitar is Jimi Hendrix. Randy Rhodes and Eddie Van Halen come in second.

Still, it's all a matter of opinion, so I'm not going to go further with this argument.

Also:

I wouldn't call them softrock. They're more of a progressive rock band, too spacey to be soft rock. Neil Peart is the old Danny Carey, aka Greatest Drummer Alive. He's an old man now, though, and DC is taking his place!

Neil peart is the greatest drummer alive, but not the greatest drummer that has ever lived. John Bonham is like the Hendrix of drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRuTcnd8YLU

This may not be his best work, but it shows that he plays with so much soul and concentration, few drummers can truly match him. Led Zeppelin as a whole was a fantastic band. I hate people who claim to be hardcore zeppelin fans and only know "Stairway to Heaven". LZ played what they felt and showed incredible passion for music. I was lucky enough to attend the re-union concert in 2007 in England. Yes, age took a big toll on the band, but i'm glad went. The Led Zepplin magic of the 70's is still there, no matter how old.

Level 4
This thread is actually pretty disappointing. If you think Green Day is rock, you are wrong. If you think Slipknot is good music, you are wrong (It doesn't even really sound like metal to me at all) and if you think guttural vocals are in any way musical, you're either tone-deaf or, once again, you are wrong. As to the king of guitar, look to Devin Townsend or Buckethead for metal, and Hendrix for anything else worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.