1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Gods and Empires- CITY building/RTS

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by pangahas, Aug 28, 2009.

1. noob134

noob134

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I have some questions.
    Is this set up so that you upgrade your units through time periods like in civ wars or is it just set in one time period?
    Also, are citizens assigned roles, i read that you can do this for military, but can you assign a citizen a farmer job, blacksmith job etc.?

2. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    1. Having multiple time periods is yet to be decided on but will definitely be considered..Initially the plan was that your main building upgrades from settlement to village to small town to city..
    2. Citizens are assigned roles for most unit types, military and civic..

3. StormWarriors2

StormWarriors2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good job so far. : D love factions but what are the units?

4. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    .... wow. This looks so hugely amazing. I can't wait for it to be released. If you need help with something (beta testing for instance) make contact. I'm Lone.Wolf at US.East AND sometimes Northrend.

5. VergilThazaar

VergilThazaar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    - One civilization should be enough and will help balancing the others later. Generally place the minimum number of choices for faster release, to get you moving. If you remain static you grow a chance of Droping the Project, how much it grows and by what factor depends on your interest and personality.

6. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    StormWarriors2
    • Details on the units would be posted on future updates as soon as Grey Nightmare and I have finalized the background story on which they would be based on.
    Sasukhun
    • There is nothing to test as of the moment but definitely we would be needing some people to beta test once more work is done, as previously said we're in the process of finalizing the history/background story of the map, we won't be basing it off any warcraft lore, we're making our own mythology.
    VergilThazaar
    • Point taken, I appreciate all the feedbacks and suggestions you have been providing, they have been very helpful.

UPDATE UPDATE
    * Presented with the fact that bypassing the command bug is impossible(it seems) I have decided to put a limit on the number of peasants that you can have on the game. After map testing and recommendations from other hive members I have decided that the population cap should be within the range of 150(maybe even less or slightly higher, it depends on the way future map testings will go).
    Consequently, I have devised a new formula for the creation of the peasants whenever you build a house. I might still use the old formula but just for higher tier house types. The new one goes like this-
    •Maximum number of created peasant would be 3, minimum 1.
    •Type of created peasant would include combinations in 3 of the following: male1, male 2, female, kid1, kid 2, kid female and dog. or a single unit on one of the former 3 types.
    •After doing some computations, I have come up with a total of 85 variations(I hope Im not missing something here)
    TABLE OF VARIATIONS
    [​IMG]

Phraetor - The GOD Seer, Patron God of Poets & Philosophers, God of Wisdom
    Phraetor is considered as the God of Wisdom. He possess the gift of clairvoyance and the ability to read thoughts. He could see things even before they actually happen. And because of this, Nerom treats him with high regard and in fact would frequently come to seek his counsel, asking advice on a variety of things. The downside however of his powers is that he could not directly tell what he foresees. He expresses them thru poetry and sometimes in the form of riddles. At times, Nerom would not right away understand Phraetor's prophecies and would totally disregard them. This unknowst to Nerom could prove to be costly for the future holds dark tidings for him.

In silence will strike a deafening heed
    Far louder than drumbeats pounding
    Words spoken in visions dim
    Deeds done for reasons grim

Born with tongue of half-truths
    And whose eyes speak of concealed lies
    Corrupting poison for feeble minds
    Inevitable cause of one's demise

-Book of Prophecies

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    you could also use the high elf female villager she make's a good human cuz she doesent have the big elf ears blizz did it 2

8. The-Rave

The-Rave

Resources:
    Resources:
    i wanna be your idealist! can??
    and i have an idea with decorative suff..
    simple idea

Good Stuff : Flower, garden, fontain, and more..
    Scary Stuff: Cauldron with heads,Chain Posts,Cages,Heads on spears,more..
    good stuff usefull to make your villager still happy (happyness++), but make them lazy, reducing your tax rate. Scary stuff make them scary, losing their happiness but make them scare to not pay tax and rebell..

education building like school or university is needed to balance with villager. if not, they will be ugly and cannot research advence technology

9. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That was my idea :eek:

10. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    Like what Grey Nightmare wrote before, everyone is free to suggest ideas and comment on things for as long as they are in line with the concepts and principle on which the whole project is based on. Every comment and suggestion will be considered and might just be implemented in the map. And yes trolman actually mentioned that idea about the decorative stuff before, on an earlier post.

11. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, cauldron with heads is too.. primitive. Woudln't like more authority, signs of it, more "scary"?

I agree with Vergil Thaarzan... the earlier the better.

12. noob134

noob134

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I have an idea/suggestion i saw in the video preview that villagers were building trees. So i thought you could instead plant trees and over time the tree would grow. The bigger the tree the greater the lumber harvested.

13. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Progress Report

I'm really sorry I haven't been on - all this week and next week I have a host of exams that I need to revise for.

Therefore the background and techtree may be a bit late coming, many apologies...

P.s. Great ideas people! I'm so glad we have some community support as I'm sure pangahas will agree: without you this map will crash and burn, keep it up guys! :grin:

And p. I love the new god :)

14. The-Rave

The-Rave

Resources:
    Resources:
    sorry.. not see.. and my original idea is for the effect:
    good stuff usefull to make your villager still happy (happyness++), but make them lazy, reducing your tax rate. Scary stuff make them scary, losing their happiness but make them scare to not pay tax and rebell..

15. Sheephunter

Sheephunter

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow dude!

This is one of the coolest maps I ever seen!

16. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey guys very quick update, as you most likely know me an pangahas are currently working on the background and techtree for the first faction, currently dubbed the "empire" which we do want to change.

Here is one of the ideas for their appearance:

Click to reveal
    [​IMG]

The above image is art from 'The Rise Of Nations'.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  17. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    wow. That image is so cool. Can't wait for it to be released, it looks like it is gonna explode or something in any moments... I mean by popularity. I mean, the idea is so... attractive and interesting, I can't see how people are not interested in this.... keep doing the good job. And mind if you tell me the gods you have right now? Cause I might be able to think on other gods... but I don't know the current ones (alas from god of death and of poems)

18. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:

You could read about the other Gods on the first post under the mythology of the Gods heading..

19. StormWarriors2

StormWarriors2

Resources:
    Resources:
    : O. This is godly so far. If you need any adivce i'll be happy to point someone else to help you. or i could help you myself.

20. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you need beta testing, contact me. I'm a perfectionist... which means I'm also a really good complainer xDD
    Are there gods of Nature or something? Of course that Nerom creates things and all, but that doens't allow there to be specific gods of something... A god of nature could allow you to "control" or even CREATE natural disasters or even wonders (create gold out of stone, make a great wave crush on a coastal enemy city, make the weather good for you and bad for your enemies, etc).
    A Alchemy god, but I think that makes part of Aidous area... you gotta plan a proper background history for what happens when you die, if you reincarnate, go to heaven/hell, or there is only a place where dead go and... do what? (For example I can't see the point about the hell the Greeks tell about, since if you're good or bad you go to the same place... you CAN be "rescued", but... the sinners pay for the sins. And the heroes like Aquiles keep... talking. lol.) then, there could be a specific god that is the guardian of the world of the dead. His powers could be bringing something from the dead (from dead, normal units to ancient heroes of legend) and also bring from the world of dead creatures that obey for him (something like angels or demons, or some like Cerberus (not a dog of 3 heads, obviously... well, you got my point) Hopefully I was able to help. Again, if you need help to test something, you can count on me.

edit:By the way, on King's mode, you could modify it a bit: maybe search for a prince or something... are the kings weak units that get killed easily like Age of Empires? Well, propably. If you were devot to the God of War, they could be transformed into ultra heroes or something. And with the god of death, guardian of the world of dead, he could ressurect your king... if you have enough faith. You could add a extra power to every god related to the king when that mode is selected. And I think it would be good to have a king in all modes, after all, there must be a ruler in something. In king mode you have a time till your defeat to replace the king, or on other modes your empire gets a type of havoc the more time it passes... the more you take to replace your king, the more your empire falls. If you can replace your king immediately (with a son of the proper king or something that is old enough) there will be a strange emptyness (is it right? Propably not, but oh well) and a strange, wrong sensation in the beggining, which is fixed later after the new king proved to be as good or better than the last. Again, hopefully I was able to help.