1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Gods and Empires- CITY building/RTS

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by pangahas, Aug 28, 2009.

1. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    I might just lessen/remove the effects they have then.How's your own project going btw?

2. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh oh Idea!

The Chosen Ones:
    When they're born some kids recive a gift from the god of science and technology,they're gifted an unhuman intelligence but they turn green stay short and have pointy ears and hoses :D they can also create shreders zeppelins tanks and they're not afraid to die (sappers)

3. Addicted07

Addicted07

Resources:
    Resources:
    question.. how did you capture the image of your whole map visibly?

4. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Advanced -> See whole map or entire map I dont know how its spelled in english.

@Panga: I worked on my map a lot this morning, I think beta release won't be too late to come. Why ? are you interested ? :)
    I posted terrain screenshots (but I dont like the way I made it, and it is not ended yet >.>).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  5. VergilThazaar

VergilThazaar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please, no classic Wc3 units, put some

U N I Q U E

units and generally imported stuff. Sick of seeing classic wc3 things...

6. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    LoL

Do you mean classic models or when people just slap a static grunt in? No health change etc?

If its the first then well... you might be dissapointed even with the 8mb limit a map that size would take way to long to dl on BNet

{EDIT}
    :grin:Of course :)

I know pangahas has already been looking for custom imports so we can expect to see a fair few in the final release!

And we will most certainly not be putting any 'vanilla' wc3 units into it, thanks for the input!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  7. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    Grey Nightmare and I are currently working on the possible units and tech tree of the first faction which is tentatively named THE EMPIRE..We're also trying to finalize the Gods' background story etc. The map will be based off the MYTHOLOGY that the 2 of us are currently working on, so usage of generic WC3 units would definitely be little to none. As for the custom models, the amount of it is yet to be determined, definitely there would be but not to the point of reaching the limit of 8mb.

8. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is the problem: with "classical" models the map dosen't have a too high size and is still playable on bnet but some players will find that basical. But with too many models map is unplayable on battle.net. Mappers have to find the middle.

9. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:

I agree..but most probably most of the temples and the GODS themselves along with some unique units would be using custom models..One of the reasons why i did not use many custom models for the doodads/terraining part is because I was allocating the imports for the units..

10. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow your map is going to have a high filesize will it ?

11. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think we should cap it at 4mb at the very most as even this can take a good 5-10mins dl on BNet and lets face it... It's not a paitent community. :(

12. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is why I use a very low number of imported models (even if some people say 'this is a lack of originality' or things like that).

13. MortAr

MortAr

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Speed does not only depend of filesize... The map can be 1 mb and you can download it for 15 minutes...

Edit: Im sorry guise, but we have to hold on the new disasters I was ask to make, because I was realy busy in the last 2-3 days. So probably Im going to start making it tommorow (probably), of course if nothing comes out.

14. The-Rave

The-Rave

Resources:
    Resources:
    how about educational stuff?
    and for recreation stuff.. it's like stronghold?

15. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do you mean like a school building, that kids go to?

And it improves impressiveness or some other factor? :confused:

16. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    Schools and universities could be where the upgrades and improvements can be researched..
    ANNOUNCEMENT:
    TEASER VIDEO READY FOR VIEWING ON FIRST POST

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  17. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    ANNOUNCEMENT: FACTIONS

Me and Pangahas have been discussing some very important gameplay factors and have decided, currently. Though, nothing is set in stone that we will actually only have 3 'races or civilizations'

One that specializes in technology and advancement, expect gunpowder and machinery.

One that specializes in belief, loyalty and faithful subjects, expect to see bonuses to faith development and a lack of rebellions/conversions.

One that is completely obsessed with war, think of spartans and how they were 'bred' for war from a young age... they will most likely have access to many elite military units and all units will have bonuses in combat, giving them the upperhand.

EACH 'CIVILIZATION' WOULD THEN HAVE 3 SUBFACTIONS

Which as well as their parent bonuses would get more specific bonuses towards a certain type of military unit or the ability to access a certain tech research.

Finally there will be at least 10 gods and each 'CIVILIZATION' will have the choice of at least 5, some will be specific to a civ and others will cross on 2 or perhaps all 3.

Our aim is to provide a huge array of strategic varation and an endless degree of replayability, we may add more civs, gods and subfactions as the project goes by, before or after release.

None of this is by any means finalized and is subject to change as the project goes on, any feedback, queries or suggestions are, as always, most welcome!

18. Luffy

Luffy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like that 3 different races/civilizations faction

19. VergilThazaar

VergilThazaar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My suggestion:
    Don't put up too much, just release a ver, check bugs/imbalance/what ppl like e.t.c. and then you'll know what to add/modify/replace/remove.

20. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    :thumbs_up: Cheers for that advice!

Yes we would love to release a version and get people giving gameplay feedback but the map isn't currently playable and we would like it to be before release.

You can all help with this! What would you like to see in the first open beta?

How many civilizations and subfactions? How many gods? What features?

We don't want to release it to early if people would like more choice in the game, but if for e.g. your happy with one civ and two subfactions obviously we can release it sooner!
    :cool:

What do you think? :confused:

EDIT: Glad you like it luffy :)