1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Gods and Empires- CITY building/RTS

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by pangahas, Aug 28, 2009.

1. VergilThazaar

VergilThazaar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't like having kings, but a King's mode should be fine. Adding a King in every mode would suck (My opinion, ofc).

2. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I got an Idea for the king mod!
    Ok so my idea is that the leaders have rank mod like:
    lord<count<duke<sir<king<emperor etc.

3. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    WOW some awesome ideas people!

I especially like that god of nature and the powers that change the weather sashukun! :thumbs_up:

As for the king idea I think vergil is right a king mode is great but it's not really practical to have a king in every mode, some people just wouldn't like it and its only fair to give a variety of game modes so people can play G&E how they want.

As for an open beta I'm afraid I can't give you much speculation on that, except it will hopefully be before new year (no promises) and will contain but a fraction of the planned content, pangahas can give you much more info on the subject :)

@Trolman, please you could you explain that a bit more? What would ranks do for e.g.?

Overall great ideas guy! I hope and will try (and Pangahas too!)my best to ensure this map lives up to your expectations!

Cheers

4. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nature would be Vestra's domain..And the background story about the god of death and what happens when mortals die is already in the works..I will post them on the mythology section when I'm done with it. Here's what I have in mind so far, when mortals die they would either go to hell or heaven(yet to think of names for those) and it will be based on how you pleased or displeased the gods to you in your mortal life.The evil souls go to hell where Zharakum, the god of death is lord.The chosen ones will go to heaven, the god of the heavens' domain..I have a plot in my mind of the importance of the people who go to heaven, I will reveal them on future updates..Thanks to everyone for all the ideas and suggestions..See yah next update

5. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Im talking that the leaders should have ranks like one's a baron the other a lord and the other an emperor.

6. Dark Soul

Dark Soul

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nicely done on the terrain! Gameplay from the video looks good to. Should be a good map, can't wait! :)

7. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lol i just saw the video and i cant wait to play :grin: .
    And just to prevent any more questions the better leader rank the stronger the leader and the better skills like the fact that an emperor is stronger than a lord.

8. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is ALREADY a king mode... and there can't be a emperor AND a king, as far as I know...

Well, You're adding that type of God Power to Vestra? And though Zharakum is the Lord of Hell, could he intervene in heaven and in hell to do some god powers as I suggested? Aside from bringing people to death, there could have powers to only speak to the dead (maybe you don't want to bring them for some reason, or don't have enough faith but need some help only the dead can give) like informing something that only the dead know.. Well, contact with spirits in all ways. Maybe they could even posess someone from your reign... or send allied spirits to posess someone important from other reign (like a king or a main priest, anything like that) and make CHAOS :O And you didn't said anything about my idea of a Alchemy god, my suggestion about king mode, and all those things... I'm curious about your opinion about those.

9. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    •Yes, as planned Vestra's godpowers would include spells that affect weather and cast certain disasters. She would also have a wide selection of support spells(blessings).
    •The suggestions you made about Zharakum are very nice, as of the moment though Grey Nightmare and I are currently focusing on finishing the background stories first for that would be the basis of the Gods and their powers, we aim to work from general to specific so details on things like spells would have to wait for the moment. Don't hesitate however to suggest ideas etc. for each and every one of them is helpful in the development of this map.
    •I'm working on the background story of Zharakum and the concept of heaven and hell(yet to think of names for those). I was thinking of combining Greek mythology(Hades+Tartarus) and Christian concept.(heaven,rupture,angels etc..)How you pleased or displeased the Gods in your mortal life would determine where you will go after death.
    •Aidous domain includes alchemy.Perks for having him as your patron god includes a wide selection of upgrades and technological advancements.
    •I think having a separate king mode is better.
    •All ideas and suggestions are much appreciated feel free to post comments and constructive criticisms anytime..We will try our best to make this map live up to the expectations of everyone..Thanks and see yah next update:thumbs_up:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  10. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Doesent anybody understand im talking about the leaders classes so they're more then kings and each player has his own leader and they all level up like the city does.

11. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    I get it..for e.g your city gained the next status the king would also level up accordingly..?Is that what you're trying to say?I think that's a good idea, I was thinking of making the king a hero type unit and not just a weak vip unit that you have to defend.And since most of the structures would be enterable, you could hide the king in them.

12. trolman

trolman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Indead and if the city is weak,gets alot of riots and the people are unhappy the leader is weak. (like a lord or count not a king)

13. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    Details on the other game modes would be dealt with maybe later because for the beta I would like to concentrate first on the default game mode which is melee+city building.I'm also thinking of putting up capturable cities throughout the map that would give you extra income and access to some units.

14. VergilThazaar

VergilThazaar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very interesting! Gives players another target than ...well other players!:plol:

15. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    Which do you think is better..Pre-placed locations on the map where your temples can only be built(sacred ground) or build anywhere..?

16. VergilThazaar

VergilThazaar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'd vote for "Anywhere"! Gives you freedom of choice and lot's of tries to find the best spot to build.

Althought you could try in first version pre-placed if you want. Better in any way is "Anywhere"!

17. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    I might tweak the terrain..I'll increase land mass to allow more building space, decrease trees in some areas and also replace animated grasses with default ones to lessen lagging.

18. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why dont you decrease the size of buildings instead of increasing size of terrain ?
    This is what I did, I dont know if it fits to your vision of your map.

19. pangahas

pangahas

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually I already scaled down the units..

20. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Could you scale down a little bit more? And also, for the King's thing, a house ins't enough for a king. Is there gonna be some type of castle for the king and his staff? And monarchy is the only choice of government? You could choose the type of government in the beggining of the game, and each have some different special units, maybe different buildings, maybe some different upgrades... or if it is too advanced for those mortals, different type of Monarchy? Like Parlament (is it right? Parlament?) the... forgot the damn name. Where the king controls everything and all. Hereditary, etc, etc, whatever you think of.