• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I remember seeing a demo map where he is promoting the Anti-Alt System... This is done by setting up the value of selection circle(not sure if this one) to -1.

Level 12
Thanks for tips. Such things aren't very common for us beginners ;)
Yes the HP bar's size is defined by the size of the selection circle. But the size of the selection circle is only defined by a scaling value which can't go under 0.1 or above 20.
I tried setting the selection circle to a odd height but that didn't work neither.
I think the problem is not in the values of the unit as it is copied from the locust(anything that might cause this(scaling, etc) is the same), which has no hp bar in game( I think Locust ability should get rid of that). This is just buggy as I have added the 'Locust' the moment I made the Shadow unit and still it is not working.
What is more buggy is that the Hp bars disappear after the second order to move(to the target).

Level 12
Ooooh.
10x
P.s. About the locust ability that is what i have done, but i guess i didn't express my self quite clearly :D

Level 23
OMG all of the entries are cool spells!!

@spiwn: My understanding on the rules is that it must be double edged, either to your hero, your enemies, your allies or all. I will reread the rules. If I miss something I will update lol. Comments for the other entries will be posted to later. XD

Shadow Rip: Its a cool spell, though when the soul will return back to its owner, I see alot of hp bars. Is that meant to be?

Orb of Darkness: I like channeling orbs! XD. Though I don't like the missile( it is just me :p) it is pretty cool.

Dark Sector: Is the flying orbs(the violet one) are meant to fly randomly? They look odd to me... Bt over in all, it's great.

Dark Explosion: Neat idea. I have never thought of that...

Mirage: I hate this entry! It's in GUI! -_-

Mine wasn't even mentioned here ^_^ ( :/ )?

Edit: If you feel like doing another spell submission, are you allowed to replace the previous one?
Edit 2: Oh right "Comments for the other entries will be posted to later." ?
Edit 3: spiwn, when it comes to setting the selection size to 0, press shift before edit to make it to 0. It is not recommended though, since the selection still will be selectable. Also the same with -1. So PurplePoot are indeed right.

Level 23
ofcourse... I wasn't thinking to show up to late with it.

And also some other questions...

The penalty doesn't need to affect only the caster right? Would be enough with damaging your own allies?

The penalty could be any kind of penalty? Like being weaker when casting? And lose mana as penalty instead of life?

Level 12
The penalty doesn't need to affect only the caster right? Would be enough with damaging your own allies?

The penalty could be any kind of penalty? Like being weaker when casting? And lose mana as penalty instead of life?
That is how I understand the theme too. Something not good for the caster should happen(something bad to him, something bad to his allies(but what if he hasn't got any nearby), something good for his enemies). Anything.
They won't be selectable with the locust ability ;)
Anyways Updated the map. Thanks for the tips.
Now it properly checks if the units are invulnerable when the damaging part comes(so that no text appears).
And the tooltip has been fixed to be accurate.
Map is still in my original entry
P.s. found a bug when selection scale is set to 0, shadow is set to none and .mdl is used as a model :D
Just some misplaced health bars appear .

Last edited:
Level 6
As long as there is something that consistently punishes the player using the ability, it's fine.

That clear things up. I'll upload(finally :p) my JASS version of my spell entry. A lot of things are changed. Wait a minute or two till I upload it. :p

Information about the spell:

Spell Name: Mirage

Spell Description: Drawing dark energy from the twisting nether, The Netherwalker deceives the eyes of all units in a targeted location. The afflicted units are netherly binded on the center of area where the spell is casted. When they move away from the center for a certain distance, they will be forceably teleported back there, suffering mana loss in the process. If the afflicted unit has less mana or no mana at all, it will lose life instead. Though this spell seems unstoppable, the Netherwalker suffers mana loss for every teleported unit. If he has less mana or no mana at all, he will lose life instead.

Made in: JASS
Third Party Tool used: JASSNewGenPack
Utilities used: KaTTaNa's Local Handle Vars

NOTE: This is my second time to make spells in JASS. The main reason why it took me time to convert this spell into JASS because of the time event. Knowing that the spell made in GUI has two triggers, and I have no idea how to merge them lol. So what I did is I researched some tutorials about timers or loops. I see some tutorials though I didn't understand so I just decided to look on the already made spells which I believe uses timer and loops. I ended up studying emjlr3's Blackhole spell(thanks bro). And I understood it very much. The spell itself is not perfect(because I still have 2 BJs, the DistanceBetweenPoints and PolarProjectionBJ) I'm having problem on converting them(frequently looking at the function list on NewGen lol) and I am not sure if I nulled everything that should be nulled. This spell will still be updated for leak cleaning purposes till the contest has ended. ^^ Please comment if you can. :p

@Eccho: Sorry about not mentioning your spell entry. I love it on how you thought of the spell. I also love the floating text(I can't do that in JASS yet lol) I haven't fully checked yor spell on what I don't like or what looks odd. But I feel like it's great. ^^

Attachments

• Spell Entry - Mirage [marven15].w3x
    52.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Level 9
I've found some bugs in my spell (the 'array x number'... it wasn't MUI, now i fixed it). Fixed tooltips, worked a bit on the effects. I'll submit my entry when i'll get to home.

Attachments

• Mini-Constest #13 - Dark Explosion 1.1.w3x
    20.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Level 37
i have a problem with buff text in editor looks like this "Increased attack speed, damage per sec., life steal." but ingame shows only "Increased attack speed,"
i tried everything but it doesn't seems to be working propherly... so i hope o wont get -points for that, or some one plx tell me how to fix it.

Level 23
When creating custom tooltips for buffs or "damage type/armor type" tooltips, We is bugging them up. The thing you could do is to use pitzermikes widgetizer for it, and simply only compile the buffs into their orginial paths.

Otherwise I have never seen any solution on this

Level 23
OKay, so I've updated the map.

Here you go ._.

Info exists inside the map...

I have a question though.
Should I add trigger comments to all triggers? Or should it be supposed to be understandable anyway?

Attachments

• Spell Contest #13 - Soul Exhaustion.w3x
    24.5 KB · Views: 52
Level 27
Haunting of the Damned:
The Necrosummoner shreds his own soul to summon damned spirits. Each spirit will seek out the closest foe and afflict them with a random curse. This curse will either reduce armor, attack speed, or chance to hit, and if a damage curse kills a unit, it will return 50 health to the caster. Sacrifices 100 health per second. Maximum range of 450.
Level 1 - Summons 2 ghosts per 100 health lost.
Level 2 - Summons 3 ghosts per 100 health lost.
Level 3 - Summons 4 ghosts per 100 health lost.
I don't think it requires vJASS. Credits to Kattana for Handles and Silvenon for his GetClosestUnit function.
Type in -rf to reset your unit's health, mana, and ability cooldowns.
CC would be nice.
Edit: Updated.
View attachment SS13.1.w3x
--donut3.5--

Last edited:
Level 23
Donut, I must tell you. It laggs like hell :S
If I compare all the others contributions towards yours, they dont lag anything, but yours just maessed up my memory.

I have no idea what have caused it, perhaps the massing of robo-goblins.
But in fact the lag started as soon as I clicked on the spell.

I sit with a pretty old comp though, so that could be one reason. But none of the other spells has lagged at all.

Im not saying this to be provocative. Im saying it to help you, thus even older comps should be able to use this spell.

I like it otherwise._.

Level 9
I tested Donut's spell too. At beginning it didn't lag at all, but after a while when there were a lot of goblings around, it dropped my fps below 3 :/. This suggests that the lag of the spell is mostly porportional to the number of units on the map, and the one thing in the spell that seems to depend of that is the GetClosestUnit function. It enumerates all units on the map to find the closest one. Enumerating units in a specific range instead would propably be the easiest way out. Otherwise the spell looked nice when it didnt freeze my comp :D

PS: I a enter as well so look out everyone! :cool:

Level 12
Yes, the spell lags significantly(let's just say my fps dropped to 22 and my pc is not what you call slow).
Anyways an optimization update is due later today for my entry :p

Level 23
yes you can preload a lot of things if you want to.

Everytime you add a new ability or something to a "dummy unit" or whatever, or creates the dummy unit for the first time, the memory must register them in the game. To prevent this you could simply make an initialization trigger, and then create the/a dummy unit. Then, add all abilites which is customly added in your spell (the casting spell is not needed I think), and then remove the unit instantly again.
Thats how I removed my lag =)

Level 23
At last =). It appears to be working very nice, and looks that way too.
Also, unique effects on him, the thing with the lifesteal.

So. Nice one, but with pretty simple triggers? (nvm though?^^)

It looks like its going to be a close competition. All submissions has been great so far, and I wish you all good luck and may the best winner win ._.

Level 37
Updated: Can someone tell me if it still lags?
i cant even test it it just throws me in the main menu. ill try to open the map with wc3 not with editor.
Anyway i checked all of the spells here, and i must say they are all pretty good.
Edit: donut3.5 i cant open your map :S(as i runed throuh triggers and i saw "avesome chece" this is probbably from your PC)

Level 12
With JNGP you have to save first before you test the map, even if you just opened it and made no changes.
--donut3.5--

You can still play it from WE, you just can't save it in the World Editor.
--donut3.5--

To play it he has to save it. He can't save it. Then how can he play it ;)

Level 6
Anyway... I tested donut3.5's entry. After I casted the spell for about 5-6 times, it becomes laggy but not as lag as before. Before, it drops down my fps to 3.+ and that wold happen on the second time yo will cast the spell. Now, after a couple of casting, it dropped my fps to 9. That's what happen to me when I tested it.

Level 23
Woah... It looks so simply done... Yet when I look at the triggers, I understand very little, (since its Jass and you name it)
Looks good though.
---

So, its about 30min until closing then
Judge fair, wise, blabla and so on
May the best spell win =)

Edit; or is it a whole day more?
No it must be 30min right ._.`?

Level 6
My spell still has a lot of room for improvements because this is my second try on JASS. But I didn't manage to improve it because of my final exams. :p Anyway Goodluck to all of us.

Level 23
Damn... I just found out that the way I thought locals were used was wrong, so it's probably a minus score I will get in my triggers.
They don't bug the spell though, or any other cause which could make the spell fail, as far as my testings show. It did also work in Mui anyway.

But yea, PurplePoot im aware of the wrong usage of the locals, just as you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.