• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Contest #13

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is a mini-contests due to its low requirement, time limit and prize. The aim in each contest is to make a spell that matches the specification included below. To win, you simply have to try your best to make a spell with the given theme, while considering the main judging points.
Task
This contest's theme is

Double

The spell must follow two unique themes! Evil and Double-Edged Sword will be the themes to follow.

Double-Edged Sword: The spell must have an affect which has some penalty; for example, a damage spell may damage you too, or a healing spell might also heal the enemy.

Evil: The spell must relate to evil/dark magic.
Rules
  1. Post your own work only!
  2. Only one submission per user!
  3. Don't protect your map!
  4. The spell should have been started after the contest started.
  5. Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
  6. Your spell must support multiple levels (at least 2)!
  7. You cannot use WEU's advanced functions!
  8. The test-map should provide proper testing of the spell (low cooldown, many/respawning creeps, etc...)
  9. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.
  10. If you use any 3rd party tools, say what they are, and if they're obscure, provide a link!
    3rd party tool examples:
    • WEWarlock
    • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
    • WE Helper
  11. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
    Examples of utilities:
    • Local Handle Variables
    • CSCache
    • Armor Detection System
    • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
    • Particle System
    • Caster System

If you break the rules, you may be disqualified from the contest, but minor offences (Such as an imported model/icon) will only be punished by the ignoring of them (as if it didn't exist) in the scoring, and possibly a point penalty.
Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
  • have a negative reputation
  • won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will follow a formula:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
  2. Triggering (10 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal.
  3. Overall Aspect (5 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
  4. Visual effects (5 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
  5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 28 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points will win.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems hall of fame" (list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 13 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 18th May (Sunday), 00:00 GMT.

Good luck and have fun!
~PurplePoot

Last edited:
Level 12
I'm in :wink:
Actually almost done, but haven,'t posted up to now.
The idea of such a spell came to me about 5 days ago( along with lots of others for my current project). As soon as i saw this thread (am new to THW, and dind't know of any contests let alone this one) I picked one that fits the theme and started working.
Now I need to add some more special effects, make tooltips and fix some leaks.
Edit: Btw you should change the contest number in the first post( I think).

Level 12
No, they do not :wink:
But that will decrease the score you get. So it is better if it is MUI.

Level 12
And mine has been started after I saw this thread :smile:
The only thing I have done before the start of the contest is having came up with a base idea, that I intended to develop into its final form months from now. And I have no idea when i was going to sit down and make the actual spell.
I see no wrong in this. As one can take even take a spell concept already existing(lets say from Dota, Enfo, etc ) and make it work from scratch. Then he will be able to enter, but wont get points for idea.
And if you still say that this is started before the contest. Then i will submit by the end of the week(will try for later today) thus working on my spell less then the contest duration.
And in case you still say I can't enter. I will have to come up with a different concept and and implement it in what I have done since I started working on the spell early morning Tuesday May 06, 2008, 12:38:39 AM.
P.s. I am unstoppable :wink:
And btw interesting scoring. One can make a perfect spell, never before thought of, flawless triggering, stunning effects, yet simple, as fast and unlaggy as possible and understandable from onle look at the tooltip(theoretically). But it has nothing to do with the theme. Maybe he will just change the name of the spell to something connected with the theme. And he will get 25 points out of 28 !??

Level 6
hmmm... I feel like joining lol... Though I am still thinking of a spell... I'll join if I an idea will pop out of my mind. XD

Level 40
And btw interesting scoring. One can make a perfect spell, never before thought of, flawless triggering, stunning effects, yet simple, as fast and unlaggy as possible and understandable from onle look at the tooltip(theoretically). But it has nothing to do with the theme. Maybe he will just change the name of the spell to something connected with the theme. And he will get 25 points out of 28 !??
No, if you did not follow the theme at all, you would be disqualified (for obvious reasons). That section relates to how strongly your spell fits the theme (Basically, a 0 on theme means you're disqualified).

Besides, even if that was true, why throw away three points?

Level 12
That just came to my mind(was not intended to cause any offense) :smile:
Hypothetically, would be interesting(maybe even funny :wink:) if the "almost-perfect" spell I mentioned won when it has no connection to the theme :razz:

Level 40
That just came to my mind(was not intended to cause any offense)
No offence taken ;)

Hypothetically, would be interesting(maybe even funny ) if the "almost-perfect" spell I mentioned won when it has no connection to the theme
Yes, it would. But if so, the person would almost definitely have won anyways.

Can i use my own system as an example of how to use it, in this case make spells with it ?
Not if it basically does everything for you (like Caster System, reducing your spell to a few lines), and was made before the contest.

Level 23
I think Im gonna try this out:)

But is there any specific condition like "must target unit" or such?
Could it be passive?
Could it "target no target" (like roar)?

Oh and, should this contest be remarkable in the way of triggering, or are you allowed to use dummy abilities?

Level 29
But is there any specific condition like "must target unit" or such?
Could it be passive?
Could it "target no target" (like roar)?

Nope, the only conditions are those that are written in the rules.

Oh and, should this contest be remarkable in the way of triggering, or are you allowed to use dummy abilities?

See the previous line :wink:

Level 17
PurplePoot said:
Not if it basically does everything for you (like Caster System, reducing your spell to a few lines), and was made before the contest.
Not really i've begin it but it's still not finished, but almost had be done.
I "really" need it because you can only use "normal" rect not oriented one.

So i will post a spell with it and you will decide if i can enter this contest or not

Level 6
Hmmm... I'm trying my best to make a JASS version of this but I guess my triggering abilities are still mediocre. I'm going to pass my spell now. Though I will still try my best on changing it to JASS. I'll just upload my spell. Wait for a minute or two. Just going to save.

EDIT: Uploaded the map. Criticism is acceptable. (I expect alot of bad comments because this spell is made in GUI. I am starting to hate GUI -_-)

Attachments

• Spells&Systems Mini-Constest#13 Entry - marven15.w3x
    46.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Level 11
ok heres my final, did improved the code a bit and its running on 2 timers now also added a preload

summons a Orb Of darkness in front of the cast it will grow in size and become more powerful overtime, when released it will travel forward and every 1 sec it will release it power damage all unit in range and get smaller and get weaker

Edit: did some minor changes to the code
Edit2: fixed 2 leaks
Edit3: fixed 2 more leaks

Attachments

• Orb of Darkness Spell Contests #13 Ciebron.w3x
    23.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Level 6
I feel like uploading my latest version of my entry(though it is still not yet in jASS -_-). Special Effects improvements are made.

Gonna test other entries. :p

Attachments

• [Spells and Systems Mini Contest #13 Entry] Mirage - marven15.w3x
    47.8 KB · Views: 64
Level 12
Here is my submission.

Shadow Rip
The Shadow Master rips a part of the target's shadow, creating an image of the target with what was taken and a part of his own shadow. Then using the dark arts the Shadow Master temporarily brakes the link between the target and the image and makes the image taunt all nearby units(himself included). After a period of time, the link will be restored, the image will disperse and the taken shadows will return to their rightful owner carrying along any damage taken.
Damage cap for the caster is 40% and bottom is 10% depending on target's level.
With each level the duration of the image, the damage taken by the image and mana cost increase.
Cooldown 60

P.s. Spell updated (17/05/08 1:03 AM)

Attachments

• Shadow_Rip_17-05.w3x
    28.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Level 15
I'm still struggling on making a good idea XD But i think i'll call my spell Ragnarok cannon. The basic idea is casting a curse on a unit that will trigger an explosion of dark energy to deal aoe damage around the cursed unit. As a 'double edge' consequence, the caster would recieve x% damage per explosion triggered. How does that sound to you?

Level 12
Updated my entry to more fit the theme. After reading the rules for the last time I saw that the caster should pay something for using the ability, and figured that "the target dealing damage to itself" doesn't quite fit.
The updated ability is in my previous post(page 3).

Unless I don't think of something really important this will be the last update. Now it is time to study for the coming exam(18/05) for entering a university and getting the rest of the stuff i need for the prom(20/05) :D
P.s. Belt, underwear and socks :p

Level 6
OMG all of the entries are cool spells!!

@spiwn: My understanding on the rules is that it must be double edged, either to your hero, your enemies, your allies or all. I will reread the rules. If I miss something I will update lol. Comments for the other entries will be posted to later. XD

Shadow Rip: Its a cool spell, though when the soul will return back to its owner, I see alot of hp bars. Is that meant to be?

Orb of Darkness: I like channeling orbs! XD. Though I don't like the missile( it is just me :p) it is pretty cool.

Dark Sector: Is the flying orbs(the violet one) are meant to fly randomly? They look odd to me... Bt over in all, it's great.

Dark Explosion: Neat idea. I have never thought of that...

Mirage: I hate this entry! It's in GUI! -_-

Level 12
Well about the hp bars, it is not intended, I too saw that, tried to hide them, but didn't manage to. They have hp bars because they have a shadow( or at least I came to that conclusion). Maybe it is not that bad as the whole spell caries an idea that the shadows are connected(someway) to their owner's life. Maybe should make it so that when they return from the illusion they should be at a lower % of their life.
And about the theme "The spell must have an affect which has some penalty" as in a negative effect for the caster(not necessarily directly affecting him). Like buffing an ally but the but buffing an enemy too. Or disabling the target but disabling himself. Or just positive and negative effects on one target. The perfect examples of a Blizzard made spell fitting the theme would be Unholy Frenzy or Berserker Rage or Healing Spray. Maybe Big Bad Voodoo but that is a little bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.