• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Everwood - The unique ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi,

Nope, DI 2 hasn't the same System like RolePlaynGamer want to make :p
In DI 2 you have to press a button every time you want to attack and have a scale, how hard your next attack will be. Here, it's a little bit different. But i like the system. If you do it well, it's okay. And why shouldn't a priest wear a sword?

Level 9
Have you ever heard of a map Dark Invasion II ? They have the same system you want to have, i think you played that map. I mean where else would you get that idea =D

No, I didn't get this idea from DI2 and It'll be nothing like that one. In DI2, you had to press escape or something to attack, here you don't have to do anything, it will attack automatically each time the weapon is ready. Daggers may for instance have 1 sec cooldown, while hammers have 2.5 seconds cooldown. Personally, I think it's a great system because of all the neat things I can do with it. =P

Level 15
Why don't you base your attack system off of Diablo II? I think you'll be able to do something like that. I've seen it sorta done in TcX, so it's possible.

Level 9
Well with so many new systems when is this gonna be released? :hohum:

I can't say, you just have to be patient. =P
But making quests (which is the only thing we still need, apart from some features and abilities), takes a minimal of time because I developed a quest system. Actually, making quests only takes around 10 lines of code. =P
I bet, that if I had the quest ideas, descriptions and such, I could develop more than 20 quests per day. =D
Abilities is probably the thing which needs most time to finish, as all spells in Everwood are heavely triggered. But, I've got all the skills I'ma make written down on paper, so I basically just need to make them. =P

Patience my friends, we got almost all of the systems in place. =P

I)eadnerzhul, I don't remember how the D2 combat system works, but yeah, I'll check it out. =]

Level 8
i find that priests are people who use their hands for magic.

if they have a huge, two handed halberd in their hands, they cant use magic...

so one handed swords, daggers and staffs fit the priest, since all those things are one handed...

You can use magic with things in your hands.
With both your hands full you can cast spells, but it also depends on the School of Magic,
For a priest, yes, he can cast with a full two hands. He will suffer for using a two handed weapon but its possible.

Level 1
Btw, I've been thinking of a new feature for a long time, but I'm not sure if I should include it in the map because features of its kind often suck. =s

Ok so I've been looking for good new RPG's to play, and this project caught my eye, I've read through the past 30 pages, mainly due to insomnia and I just want to say....

Please don't change the system, especially before your first open beta!
A decision like that could make or break your map, use the tried and tested wc3 system first and maybe implement the different combat system later on.
But for the love of god don't ruin what could be a great RPG!

That's just how i feel, all the best :).

Level 8
Quest Update

Hey everyone,
Thought I'd give an update on quests/npcs.
Basically I'm just going to post up a quest I had made so far, and see how reaction comes in.

Quest In the Dark
Relative Npc's : James Bennett, Courtney Bennett.

Break Down : During the day, James is a normal civilian, he runs around the town, trying to find odd jobs to do. He struggles financially and usually takes any job he can take, no matter the risk. An hour before night, he returns how to rest a small bit, and when night falls he heads to the swamp, dressed in his armor, and weapons. He sneaks upon unsuspecting pray and attacks, looting all that he can. Two hour before day he returns home to rest.

The Quest can be taken both ways, If taken through Courtney Bennett, she merely asks you to find James, and bring him back to her. That shes worried that on his "night trips" he might be endangering himself.

If you stumble upon James at night, he will proceed to attack after some dialogue.

You have a few choices.
A. During the Dialogue, Talk him out of his attack and bring him home.
B. Fight in self defense and try to cripple him.
C. Attack in cold blood and kill him.

You've made your choice now you can return to Courtney, depending on what you did, here are your choices.

A1. Return to Courtney, to be thanks, and through this you are given the most for a reward.

B1. If you manage to kill him, You can tell her you fought in self defense and he attacked first.
B2. Tell her you found his body dead in a river.
B3. If you crippled him, you must bring him back, and show her.

C1. Tell her you killed him in cold blood.
C2. Tell her it was a accident, and he attacked first.
C3. Tell her you found his body located in the river dead.

As you can see you have your choices,
But who knows how this will effect the future of your character and how he develops.

Let me get some feedback People!

Level 7
Quest In the Dark
Relative Npc's : James Bennett, Courtney Bennett.

I quite liked the idea, but I'm not a big fan of the name. I think it's just the usage of the word "Quest" that bugs me, seeing as it is labeled as a quest.

Through the Darkness
Journey in Shadow
Starlight Exodus
The Midnight Marauder

Just a few quick ideas

Level 8
Are you really saying that Assassin and Cleric would be more original that Rogue and Priest?

Damn, you guys dont even know what original means. Changing names doesnt make your map original.

And its not some 'never seen before' -stuff either. There isnt any never seen before stuff in this map, but thats not the point.

Original means that you can pull an interesting mixture out of familiar ingredients.

This map looks really good, actually. Too bad I dont like ORPGs. :/

Level 8
Im kinda looking forward to se those dynamic NPCs.

I was going to create a system like that some time ago, and I would like to see what you have managed to put together.

Level 8
You won't be dissapointed. =]

As for the class names, they will be kept as they already are, because assasin doesn't really match the skillset I've put together. Besides, we're adding more heroes later on.

Calvin, sounds awesome. =D

WHO IS THE MAN!? HUH?!
With one post I got a few posts on Everwood, I think I did good,
That is the reason Why its taking me so long to make the NPCs, because EVERY NPC will have a quest. =]

ALSO,
To the guy that said something about the quest name, the Quest name is "In the Dark" I just put quest there because, well thats what it is? xD

I Think, It should be done like this.
Good Moral Choices = More XP
Bad Evil Choices = More Money

Suggestions?

Level 8
You can actually make a really nice NPC system by using vjass interfaces. You can have some main NPC struct and then extend it with different struct classes like merchants and bandits, which have different methods to react for different situations.

What about this?

Good Moral Choices = More friendly NPCs

Level 8
You can actually make a really nice NPC system by using vjass interfaces. You can have some main NPC struct and then extend it with different struct classes like merchants and bandits, which have different methods to react for different situations.

What about this?

Good Moral Choices = More friendly NPCs

Chris is doing something like that,
I'm not a scripting guy, I'm secretly learning though, don't tell anyone, xD

Theirs going to be stuff like that for the good side as well, I'm a player that no matter WHAT Game I try to be evil I end up going good. Like fallout 3 for Example, I tried so hard to be evil, when the sheriff talked to me I didn't like It I shot him in the face, at the end of the game, I had full good points.

So What I'm trying to say is, I'll be gearing for Good, but I won't make it a balancing issue, the option for both sides will still be present and both sides will have there obvious advantage.

=]

Level 8
Jass really makes these things easier and faster. Especially those cool vJass features like structs, interfaces, textmacros etc.

Level 7
Is there any way that someone would host this game to battle.net when it comes out? I can't host, so i would love to participate in this game when it comes out :p

Level 7
Great :p As for ideas, i think this would be quite usefull aswell if it can be added in the first place, A renown system :p When you beging your adventure you would have 0 Renown meaning that no-one knows who you are, But by completing quests / tasks ec. killing bandit boss? you would receive like 100~ renown and ppl around the cities and the whole world would know you better, and what would you gain with renown? Smaller prices on the stalls maybe? Or some quests would require amount of renown etc. / * '' Oh, hes the idiot who stole the royal family's kid's toycar! '' xP

Level 9
Here's a few updates.

-Lately I've rewritten every single line of code to make the game run smoother, and I must say, it's been a succes. I never go lower than 60-65 FPS on my computer (I have an uber 1337 computer).
-Calvin is making good progress on the NPC's, though he's extremely busy with lots of stuff. Believe me... Last time I spoke to him, he had almost finished the NPC's for the closed beta ... Or the open beta ... Or the final release, I don't remember.

All I can say is, that every day we get one big step closer to a public release. I will not set a release date, because we might not be able to finish the map before that day, but I promise that the closed beta will be around soon.

Here's an up-to-date progress report:

Terrain: 97% (Just need to terrain some of the enterable buildings)
Scripting: 90% (Just need a few more quests and skills)
Modeling: 90% (Still need a few item models)
Texturing: 90-100% (I'm not sure if we have all or need a few icons)

Level 8
YEA!
I'll take my damn time.
I'm sorry all, I'd of been done way way way long ago, xD
But too many events have held me back, I'm going to push it, to get more NPC's in real quick tonight, Hopefully I'll be able to finish the list of 40 or whatever. NPC's are SO Boring to make, but coming up with them are fun. xD

Level 8
=P
I Might, xD
But, I won't be doing nothing today...
My Girlfriend[Ex/Something thats uber close]'s Hamster, Picklez, died last night,
She died with her eyes opened and it was quite traumatizing for her, <w< I'm, well going to spend lots of time comforting her, Sorry guys. >w<

Level 9
Long time no see.

The map is progressing very well. I finished rewriten the entire engine several days ago, so I started to make the Full Screen Inventory, the last big system I have to code. I wanted to finish it before thursday, because that was my one year anniversary on the team, but some of the features of it was not ready. I apologize, expect some screenshots soon.
What I really like about the FSI, is the ability to see your hero with everything he equips, like in the big (MMO)RPG's. It also contains 51 bag slots, 6 inventory slots and 4 belt slots. All items in your belt will be saved in your save/load code.

The reason why I'm posting here is because of a new system I have in mind, I call it 'Advanced Chat System'. It's an extension to the Warcraft III chat system, allowing you to private message other players, color your texts, displaying text to only certain people and fade text. But I'm a little unsure on how I want the syntax for coloring your texts should be, that's why I'm asking you. Currently I have a HTML syntax in mind.
"<red>Hello RolePlaynGamer. This text should appear red</red>"
"<hex=FF0000>Hello RolePlaynGamer. This text should appear red</hex>"
"<pm=red>Hello red. This message is only shown to you</pm>"

Ideas and oppinions, please?

Wolfe Orscythe is writing down every ability in Everwood right now, I hope to post all the ideas soon. He's also working on an interesting storyline, which I probably won't release.

Oh, and I'm putting MeKC of the team because of various reasons.

Level 9
Damn, a leak! >_<
Well, since the FSI UI is publiced, I'll just describe every part of it.
The first thing you probably notice, is the 51 bag slots in the bottom of the screen. This is where you can keep all of your loot that you don't really need. Since there's so many slots, none of them will be saved in your code. That's why I created the belt, the 4 slots in the upper left corner of the screen. All items that you keep here will be saved in your code.
To the left of the belt you see the inventory. This is pretty self-explanatory. You can add your items to the inventory if you want a way to access them without opening the Full Screen Inventory.
In the right corner is the equipment slots. Here you can equip (so far) 10 different items on your hero. Yeah, our current (incredible sucky) equipment system will be replaced with this one. The black hole between the equipment slots is the character window. Here you'll be able to see your hero with everything he equips.
Above the bag, in the left side of the screen, is the actions that you can do with the items. Currently they include Exit Inventory, Drop Item and Use Item. I apologize for the borders on the screenshot.
The big, black hole in the top of the screenshot is where you can read about the item you are currently hovering your mouse over. Since the mouse isn't hovering over an item in the screenshot, it's completely black.

I don't yet know what I should put in the middle, probably some progres bars for your attributes and professions. Any ideas are very welcome.

Just to verify, this will in no way represent the final version. When I finish it and import it into Everwood, you'll be able to choose bewteen multiple interfaces and all of the icons will be replaced with ones inside Everwood.

Expect more screenshots soon.

Now, comment.

Level 19
Sounds nice.

You can add things like crit chance (if you use things like that) in the middle.
Or a window that shows how the item looks like. So just a normal model how it would look like if it would lay on the ground or something.

good luck:D

Status
Not open for further replies.